HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Sergei Fedorov the defenseman?

Old
07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Sergei Fedorov the defenseman?

Do you think he would have made a good top 4 dman if he wasnt drafted as a centre? He a few times played D for Bowman when they were injured on defense.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Big Phil

Call me crazy but I never really liked him back there. I was never a Red Wings fan but either way I thought he was better suited for center. Yeah, yeah I know, if I never knew any better I'd probably think he was a perfect fit for defensemen. I just don't think he is any better on defense than what we saw at center.

But to his credit, he did do well when called upon and that's a nice attribute

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Zine

Fedorov could have easily been a top 4 d-man.....might have even made an all-star appearance or two.

But, like Big Phil said, Fedorov the center was much better than Fedorov the d-man.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Fedorov could have easily been a top 4 d-man.....might have even made an all-star appearance or two.

But, like Big Phil said, Fedorov the center was much better than Fedorov the d-man.
Agreed. While it is nice he was capable of playing defense he was much more effective at center.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
He a few times played D for Bowman when they were injured on defense.
I think it was actually more of a punishment than an injury replacement situation. And/or an attempt at motivating him. I remember reporters asking him if he'd been demoted--he instead claimed that he actually really enjoyed playing D, but it wasn't clear to me if he meant it or was just being diplomatic.

Regardless, he was such a phenomenal skater that it ended up being an easy transition for him anyway.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:50 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
I think it was actually more of a punishment than an injury replacement situation. And/or an attempt at motivating him. I remember reporters asking him if he'd been demoted--he instead claimed that he actually really enjoyed playing D, but it wasn't clear to me if he meant it or was just being diplomatic.

Regardless, he was such a phenomenal skater that it ended up being an easy transition for him anyway.
Bowman would sometimes put him on defense during a power play if memory serves.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote