HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #7

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #7 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 0 0%
Wesley Myron 1 0.50%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 0 0%
Joe Cannata 23 11.39%
Peter Andersson 0 0%
Anton Rodin 13 6.44%
Alexandre Mallet 5 2.48%
Kevin Connauton 77 38.12%
Yann Sauve 4 1.98%
Joseph Labate 2 0.99%
Bill Sweatt 1 0.50%
Patrick McNally 9 4.46%
Alex Friesen 1 0.50%
Frankie Corrado 65 32.18%
Adam Polasek 0 0%
Jeremy Price 0 0%
Henrik Tommernes 0 0%
Alex Grenier 0 0%
Darren Archibald 1 0.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2012, 01:59 AM
denkiteki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Connauton winning just shows that people here either don't value potential very much in a prospect or don't at the very least check out our prospect scouting reports.
Or its the simple fact he's our best offensive d prospect (tho i voted for someone else, i could see why he's winning). Honestly i could've seen #7 go to any one of the three depending on what people like. Not to mention, if anything, based on scouting reports, most here probably has a better idea of KConn's upside than others due to the simple fact that odds are 'nucks fan watched more Moose games than College/Jr games (plus higher level of competition).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Or its the simple fact he's our best offensive d prospect (tho i voted for someone else, i could see why he's winning). Honestly i could've seen #7 go to any one of the three depending on what people like. Not to mention, if anything, based on scouting reports, most here probably has a better idea of KConn's upside than others due to the simple fact that odds are 'nucks fan watched more Moose games than College/Jr games (plus higher level of competition).
I kind of find it funny that last year Polasek was voted higher than him and I had to argue Connautons case..I was shocked.....why is he much higher this season? I voted Corrado by the way. He has a better all around game. I can see him as a cerebral, puck moving defensive defenseman with some offensive upside and second unit pp potential. He's a safe bet to be a Canuck for a long time.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I kind of find it funny that last year Polasek was voted higher than him and I had to argue Connautons case..I was shocked.....why is he much higher this season? I voted Corrado by the way. He has a better all around game. I can see him as a cerebral, puck moving defensive defenseman with some offensive upside and second unit pp potential. He's a safe bet to be a Canuck for a long time.
Well he was an AHL All Star. That should make it an easy decision when compared to a guy who played junior last year.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Well he was an AHL All Star. That should make it an easy decision when compared to a guy who played junior last year.
His development curve was normal. People could have seen his season coming. It wasn't a matter of offense but developing defensively. It just goes to show not many people assess talent. They look at accomplishments and stats. Not saying that's a bad thing but I just find it amusing. He had scored two more goals than his previous year.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
trytobe

Quote:
His development curve was normal. People could have seen his season coming. It wasn't a matter of offense but developing defensively. It just goes to show not many people assess talent. They look at accomplishments and stats. Not saying that's a bad thing but I just find it amusing. He had scored two more goals than his previous year.
a normal development curve indicates consistency, work ethic, achievable goals and repeatable conditions. it also builds the player's confidence to see his marginal improvements year over year, even if the improvements are slight.

what you should be scared of is fast growth followed by a significant regression. I prefer seeing our prospects taking 1 step forward consistently than 2 steps forward 1 step back.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
This is the Canucks forum man, no one here actually watches hockey (other than feebster). We just need to know his Corsi and Fenwick numbers to form an opinion. (kinda)

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
a normal development curve indicates consistency, work ethic, achievable goals and repeatable conditions. it also builds the player's confidence to see his marginal improvements year over year, even if the improvements are slight.

what you should be scared of is fast growth followed by a significant regression. I prefer seeing our prospects taking 1 step forward consistently than 2 steps forward 1 step back.
I wasn't saying normal was bad I just feel he's been one of our top prospects for a while now and I was just confused as to why last year he was almost written off and this year he's turned into a stud.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Tiranis

No one that actually watched Connauton with the Wolves would vote for him in this poll. There is no way he deserves to win this. Hell, I would take Cannata, McNally, and LaBate ahead of him. He's closer to being in the same tier as Sauve and Polasek than he is to Corrado.

Last edited by Tiranis: 07-23-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
No one that actually watched Connauton with the Wolves would vote for him in this poll. There is no way he deserves to win this. Hell, I would take Cannata, McNally, and LaBate ahead of him. He's closer to being in the same tier as Sauve and Polasek than he is to Corrado.
Including this one my 7, 8 and 9 were Corrado, Cannata and Rodin. I think Rodin needed an adjustment year in the AHL. There's a lot of talent there.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Socratic Method Man
Gillis' Last Remnant

vCash: 622
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere (well, probably in the 'Gillis on 1040" thread, but regardless) I noticed Gillis had a couple good words for Connauton while he was on the Team1040. Said something like Connauton has moved up in the depth chart to the point where he can compete for a spot this summer. (I have no idea what that spot would be, as we have at LEAST 3 spots tied up on left-side D). He also said something about Connauton developing to the point he is at now, and having a unique, offensive skillset, is one of the main factors in being able to let go of MA Gragnani.

I'm not trying to pimp out Kconn here, but thought I'd pass it on.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere (well, probably in the 'Gillis on 1040" thread, but regardless) I noticed Gillis had a couple good words for Connauton while he was on the Team1040. Said something like Connauton has moved up in the depth chart to the point where he can compete for a spot this summer. (I have no idea what that spot would be, as we have at LEAST 3 spots tied up on left-side D). He also said something about Connauton developing to the point he is at now, and having a unique, offensive skillset, is one of the main factors in being able to let go of MA Gragnani.

I'm not trying to pimp out Kconn here, but thought I'd pass it on.
I thought he spoke higher of Corrado but he didn't wanna put extra pressure on him.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Socratic Method Man
Gillis' Last Remnant

vCash: 622
Quote:
I thought he spoke higher of Corrado but he didn't wanna put extra pressure on him.
Ah. I only caught part of it so I probably missed that. Interesting though.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:13 AM
MS

Voted for Corrado, who seems to have all the tools to be a solid NHL defender. His development is exceptionally encouraging.

Connauton is a one-trick pony who has a great shot in PP/contained offensive situations. Other than that, he's below-average across the board. Defensive play improved last season from ECHL-calibre to 'not utterly embarassing at the AHL level'. Am shocked really by some of the comments from the organization on his development - frankly I think he'd be absolutely destroyed right now if he saw any NHL action. Just not a smart player and never will be.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:37 AM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Voted for Corrado, who seems to have all the tools to be a solid NHL defender. His development is exceptionally encouraging.

Connauton is a one-trick pony who has a great shot in PP/contained offensive situations. Other than that, he's below-average across the board. Defensive play improved last season from ECHL-calibre to 'not utterly embarassing at the AHL level'. Am shocked really by some of the comments from the organization on his development - frankly I think he'd be absolutely destroyed right now if he saw any NHL action. Just not a smart player and never will be.
Agreed.. I went Corrado with this pick. My next pick will be McNally, followed by Mallet then it would have been Connauton

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:27 AM
StrictlyCommercial

So this is the first poll where there is no clear majority. Would people like to see a runoff vote between Connauton and Corrado or just move onto the next one with Connauton as #7?

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:53 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
So this is the first poll where there is no clear majority. Would people like to see a runoff vote between Connauton and Corrado or just move onto the next one with Connauton as #7?
Eh, I'd just move on. Else this might take forever; consensus will be even lower as we move past #10.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Move on. At this point, we're all pretty much groping in the dark. Although if Corrado goes as late as #10, after the way Gillis praised him (and being a needed RHS), that's going to seem quite funny in a couple of years.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Coconuts

I voted for Cannata, but Corrado would have been next, so I would have had him ahead of Connauton.

Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Panda Bear

Kevin Connauton was the little kid at the end of the block when I was growing up.

Big hopes that he makes it. Used to see him cry all the time when he didn't get to win playing games against me and his big brother.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
valkyrie42ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Kevin Connauton was the little kid at the end of the block when I was growing up.

Big hopes that he makes it. Used to see him cry all the time when he didn't get to win playing games against me and his big brother.
I'm sure his pro contract washed away those losses!

valkyrie42ca is offline   Reply With Quote