HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXV - *Important Mod Warning #15*

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Doubtful. I'll eat my hat and post the video on YouTube if Tallon trades anyone in our top 5 prospects as part of a deal for Luongo.
For the record, who do you consider your top 5 prospects?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:14 AM
palindrom

Quote:
"If and when we trade Roberto we are going to trade him for players that are going to make us a better team."
What an empty statement by Gillis. Does anyone expects him to trade for players that are going to make them a worse team?

And if the Nieuwendyk for Iginla trade can be qualified as a trade that was ''going to make Calgary a better team." Then he doesn't even mean he want NHL ready player in return.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

I'll take a shot

Upshall
2nd round pick in 2013
3rd round pick in 2014

for

Luongo

After the Nash trade, it is pretty clear that Luongo is going to return next to nothing. I'll be happy to get a player that can hold a spot on the active roster for him at this point. That contract has to go.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:33 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
What an empty statement by Gillis. Does anyone expects him to trade for players that are going to make them a worse team?

And if the Nieuwendyk for Iginla trade can be qualified as a trade that was ''going to make Calgary a better team." Then he doesn't even mean he want NHL ready player in return.
Many, many fans of other teams think he will be traded for players that make the Canucks worse, or wont even make the Canucks...

Old
07-24-2012, 12:50 AM
LBCANUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Canuck View Post
I'll take a shot

Upshall
2nd round pick in 2013
3rd round pick in 2014

for

Luongo

After the Nash trade, it is pretty clear that Luongo is going to return next to nothing. I'll be happy to get a player that can hold a spot on the active roster for him at this point. That contract has to go.
I think as difficult as it would be Gillis would bring luongo back next year before settling for those scraps even if you replaced the 3rd with a 1st in my opinion

Old
07-24-2012, 12:51 AM
timw33

Quote:
I'll take a shot

Upshall
2nd round pick in 2013
3rd round pick in 2014

for

Luongo

Goalie vs Forward

5.3M vs 7.8M

Old
07-24-2012, 12:53 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Goalie vs Forward

5.3M vs 7.8M
Your point isn't very clear.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCANUCK View Post
I think as difficult as it would be Gillis would bring luongo back next year before settling for those scraps even if you replaced the 3rd with a 1st in my opinion
Are you saying that Nash's trade value is less than Luongo's?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:57 AM
LBCANUCK

Quote:
Are you saying that Nash's trade value is less than Luongo's?
Not at all but

A.A , Dubinsky > upshall

erixon, 1st > 2nd 3rd

So I dont see how you make the comparison........

I would have taken Dubinsky and a 1st for Luongo but upshall and some second thought picks arent going to do it. Im pretty sure Gillis has already rejected similar offers from Florida wouldnt you agree?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:57 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
For the record, who do you consider your top 5 prospects?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...11&postcount=1

# 1 Jonathan Huberdeau (C) - 94.23%
# 2 Jacob Markstrom (G) - 81.63%
# 3 Nick Bjugstad (C) - 80.85%
# 4 Quinton Howden (LW) - 65.85%
# 5 Alexander Petrovic (D) - 65.91%
# 6 Drew Shore (C) - 60%

I included Shore because Huberdeau is almost a certainty for our roster this season.

*disclaimer: I'll probably make a hat out of some sort of food and eat that....

Old
07-24-2012, 01:58 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
So its up to him?

What if at the end of the day Luongo face the only option to accept a trade to Colombus, or play with the Chicago wolves?

Would he rather stay in Vancouver or still want out?
He'd end up in Columbus either way.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Kip96

I hope the Canucks start off with Luongo and Schneider to start the year

I think back 2 years ago when Boston couldn't give away a washed up Tim Thomas and he came back with a vengence

Luongo is a very competitive guy and this extra long off-season is going to light a fire in him

Old
07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Hmmm. I wonder what else he would say in this situation?

Lip service to a degree, of course. He's not going to say a Schneider-Luongo tandem is an untenable situation. But I seriously think Gillis is stubborn and patient enough to extend this situation to the regular season. Lu could still be traded during the offseason. That's the ideal situation. However, should the not-so-ideal situation unfold, and Gillis has to carry Lu into the season, he will do it.

There's no doubt about it for me. The Hodgson deal showed me a lot about Gillis's mindset. He will be deathly patient. Even to the point of sitting on a disgruntled player, to make what he feels is the right move for the franchise. What that is, I don't know. But I fully expect he will wait until he finds it.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:41 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
I hope the Canucks start off with Luongo and Schneider to start the year

I think back 2 years ago when Boston couldn't give away a washed up Tim Thomas and he came back with a vengence

Luongo is a very competitive guy and this extra long off-season is going to light a fire in him
Or the whole situation blows up the room. It's a big risk going into the season with Luongo. Find it reminiscent to when the Leafs signed Joseph but then couldn't move Felix Potvin before the season started. Led to some pretty rough times, especially for Potvin. Pretty tough disrespecting Luongo like that, too. Guy is a top goalie; bringing him back as the backup will be humiliating for him no matter how much of a team guy he is.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:44 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Lip service to a degree, of course. He's not going to say a Schneider-Luongo tandem is an untenable situation. But I seriously think Gillis is stubborn and patient enough to extend this situation to the regular season. Lu could still be traded during the offseason. That's the ideal situation. However, should the not-so-ideal situation unfold, and Gillis has to carry Lu into the season, he will do it.

There's no doubt about it for me. The Hodgson deal showed me a lot about Gillis's mindset. He will be deathly patient. Even to the point of sitting on a disgruntled player, to make what he feels is the right move for the franchise. What that is, I don't know. But I fully expect he will wait until he finds it.
But that could be really damaging to the team. Luongo was just the (unofficial) captain of the team, the guy who was supposed to lead the Canucks for the next decade. How do you expect to bring him back as Schneider's backup? It will be humiliating. And Luongo's certainly got friends in the room who will side with him.

Very dangerous to go into the season with both goalies still around. I can see Gillis doing this, too, though, as I think he's pretty much an arrogant buffoon. Why wait, either? Just like Howson and Nash, Gillis can wait all he wants -- the return is never going to magically get better than what's on the table now.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
Or the whole situation blows up the room. It's a big risk going into the season with Luongo. Find it reminiscent to when the Leafs signed Joseph but then couldn't move Felix Potvin before the season started. Led to some pretty rough times, especially for Potvin. Pretty tough disrespecting Luongo like that, too. Guy is a top goalie; bringing him back as the backup will be humiliating for him no matter how much of a team guy he is.
Except Luongo has not shown any sort of ill will to teammates before & would understand that until Gillis can get the right deal he will have to continue to be the perfect teammate & wait. Nothing in Luongo's character since he has been here would point to him not being a good teammate.

Vancouver's motto is if you're playing well you'll get your chance to play. I would imagine that Luongo & Schneider would be splitting games evenly as it give the Canucks a chance to showcase Luongo & steady Schneider into a starting role & not give him 65-70 games in his first year as a "starter".

Also I'd rather take the risk on him in the room then giving him away for garbage because he might do a 180 in the character department.

I just find it funny that fans of teams that want Luongo think he is going to be a stuck up child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
At this point, would Vancouver just be happy to get rid of him for a 6th or something? His cap space is more valuable than his presence right now.
What? We don't really have a cap issue & can keep Luongo while signing Doan. Its next year that we'd want to trade Luongo by.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 07-24-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
At this point, would Vancouver just be happy to get rid of him for a 6th or something? His cap space is more valuable than his presence right now.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Cogburn

So...there is a correlation to Nash, there isn't a correlation to Nash...Lu is older, has a better cap hit, for longer, and Nash's return was...well disappointing.

I don't think there is any link in value here, but if we get Ansimov, Dubinksy, Erixon and a 1st is about right, and about what Toronto fans have largely embraced.

The Kulemin, Lombardi, Franson and a pick. Kulemin = Dubinksky, ish. Franson is close to Ansimov, ish. In both cases, I think the Rangers's pieces are worth more then the Leafs, but it is by no means comparing apples to apples. Or oranges really. More like apples and...washing machines? We lose a little on Lombardi and a lower pick vs. Erixon and a 1st.

Chicago would still have to give more of a "quality" deal vs. quantity. I still wanted Bolland, Hjalmarsson and Crawford if we're talking package, and Sharp or Seabrook, or better, if we're looking at a 1 for 1 deal.

Florida fans know our favourite pieces. A package, if something similar in terms of the pieces returned, I remain hopeful for. There is less need, but had it not been for all the rampant rumours, I wouldn't have believed New York needed an upgrade to their top six by means of such a profound change. I still like the idea of Upshall and Santorelli as "cap pieces", but we need some value with that too.

I guess we will wait and see.

Jokes, we'll be back to bickering come first day light.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:16 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Lehtonen, Kari
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter

As for the future of these UFA goalies, it should be expected they re-sign some of them, but some of those teams are going to struggle and sell those goalies.

Now, do you think teams are going to line up to pay good assets for Luongo(and his contract) or trade a pick for a UFA goalie?

If Gillis attempts to go into the season with Luongo, not only does he risk Luongo not showing up to camp signigicantly decreasing his trade value and his "upperhand", but he also has to deal with the return on what those goalies will be traded for. I doubt Gillis wants to go down that road, it could get tremendously bad the longer Gillis waits.

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 07-24-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:19 AM
dahlenrules

Caps-
Jeff Schultz

Vancouver-
Luongo

Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
We can be 10% over the cap until the offseason ends, plus cap space is only valuable if we can use it. We'd need to sign Semin and Doan with the money we'd save with Lu being off the books, and presumably the forwards they'd be replacing, to just up and move Luongo for nothing. And even that would be silly

Old
07-24-2012, 03:28 AM
momo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Doubtful. I'll eat my hat and post the video on YouTube if Tallon trades anyone in our top 5 prospects as part of a deal for Luongo.
Rick Ball is that you?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:30 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
Caps-
Jeff Schultz

Vancouver-
Luongo
I would pass in a big way. If the caps have interest, make a real offer, but Schultz isn't even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Lehtonen, Kari
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy
Smith, Mike
Theodore, Jose
Mason, Chris
Garon, Mathieu
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien
Labarbera, Jason
Emery, Ray
Budaj, Peter

As for the future of these UFA goalies, it should be expected they re-sign some of them, but some of those teams are going to struggle and sell those goalies.

Now, do you think teams are going to line up to pay good assets for Luongo(and his contract) or trade a pick for a UFA goalie?

If Gillis attempts to go into the season with Luongo, not only does he risk Luongo not showing up to camp signigicantly decreasing his trade value and his "upperhand", but he also has to deal with the return on what those goalies will be traded for. I doubt Gillis wants to go down that road, it could get tremendously bad the long Gillis waits.
Khabi, Thomas and Nabokov are close to retiring (not saying immediately but in the foreseeable future), Theodore has a NTC and likely will retire in Florida according to Panthers fans, Lehtonen, Smith and Howard aren't going anywhere. Garon, Giguere, Labarbera, Emery and Budaj are all scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you're surrendering assets, Reimer and Scrivens are at least in the same conversation.

Why do people think Lu wouldn't show up for camp? Is he really perceived as this prima donna cry baby? He has shown nothing but professionalism while playing in this city, this is bordering on libel with the amount it's being repeated. Lu is ready to leave, but it's not like he is being spit on in the streets or has committed some kind of felony in our city. He's made his request known, and Gillis will get on it. If he's a Canuck come September, he will be at try outs. On the off chance the season starts and Lu is still here, nothing he has ever done with this organization would point to him not showing up at camp. Consummate. Professional.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Bleach Clean

Luongo is not a malcontent. Weird that this angle is being explored. He's been nothing but a pro about this. He'll split starts. Share the load equally because he knows to do otherwise only hurts his value. Really, he could not have positioned himself better to be dealt.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:34 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
He'll split starts. Share the load equally because he knows to do otherwise only hurts his value.
No he won't

Closed Thread