HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Greiss

Old
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
harro92

vCash: 500
Thomas Greiss

What is the future for the 26 year old German goalie, will he ever be a starter ? If so for the Sharks or another team ?, or is he destinded to be a back up ?

harro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:45 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harro92 View Post
What is the future for the 26 year old German goalie, will he ever be a starter ? If so for the Sharks or another team ?, or is he destinded to be a back up ?
He has shown nothing that would suggest starter material

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Janney

He should definitely explore his options in the UFA market after the 12-13 season is over. There will be plenty of teams who wouldn't mind signing him to a 1yr/1mil type of deal. He's been patient with San Jose, but if you're not going to give the guy a proper chance to prove himself, and keep riding a mediocre goalie, then...bye bye.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

hasn't been given a chance so who the hell knows

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

I doubt it given Stalock's existence.

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:19 AM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

Wouldn't be surprised to see him thrown into a deal to get a scorer. Bring up Stalock as a backup.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:37 AM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He was pretty decent in his games last year. I could see him starting somewhere like Columbus, although it is hard to say until he gets a chance to play more than 20 games in a season.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:39 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
I think he'd be a very capable half of a tandem with a vet. For instance, going with a Greiss/Vokoun tandem would leave a team in good enough shape. I think Greiss has talent, I just don't think he'll get to show it with the Sharks.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

He is done with the sharks i believe, unless niemi gets seriously injured and then greiss pulls a nabokov and plays so good for so long that it makes niemi tradeable. But i see greiss more like toskala, will play good enough to steal the job, and the faulter the next season.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:21 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Well, he has no future as a starter here. Niemi is locked for another 2 (?) years and Stalock should be up and coming. I think he can start somewhere, just not here.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:24 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
I don't believe he has starter potential. Solid back-up though. Should have a long career in the league (and Int'l w/Germany).

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:27 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
He's at least a bit better than a host of other backups to hang around the NHL for several years.

No goalie will reach their potential without consistent ice time. That's always the paradox.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:13 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

In my opinion, Greiss gets more games this year so that he can show his abilities but it's mostly so that he has value if/when he leaves. If Stalock rebounds from his injury then he'll be the backup after Greiss goes, this really depends on who can show their skill better next year. After that, Stalock/Greiss--probably Stalock--gets backup/tandem duties for the next two years and by then Stalock replaces Niemi and we have an awesome aggressive and puckmoving goalie

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Korolyuk15

is a pity that Greiss didn't get to play this year at the WC, would have liked to see how he did

I thought he looked good last year in the limited action he saw, but then I'm a fan of his and haven't been particularly impressed by Niemi...

Would be nice to see him get 30 games this year, maybe a few in a row to see if he can take it to the next level...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He had comparable numbers to the team's starter. It should at least give him more opportunities this upcoming season if for no other reason than to prevent Niemi from starting a ridiculous 68 games.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Greiss needs to play atleast 30 games per year for atleast 2 years for us to even get a good idea on whether he is good enough to be a starter. Unfortunately, the way TMac plays Niemi, that may never happen. Infact I really hate that because even if we get Stalock/Sateri up to the majors how the heck do we find out if they are starter worthy or not.

07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
sharski

seems like TMac hates him, since he never gives him a chance

I feel like unless we get one of those situations where Nemo gets injured and Greiss unexpectedly plays like 60 games at an elite level, he's gone after this year... no point in staying on a team (or the Sharks keeping him) if they don't play him

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Dicdonya

Seeing as how he had just about the same stats as niemi this year, infinitely better rebound control and vision. What appears to be a faster glove hand and what also seems to be better cross crease speed and control, I would say Griess has a great shot at starting and being just as good or better than niemi if he is ever given the chance.

I would also say that the difference between griess pre-KHL and post KHL he looks much much better than before. Which leads me to believe that him getting more playing time will only lead to him being better. Not sure if he can handle the whole load yet, but who knows. I sure like him better than niemi no question.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:17 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
I would also say that the difference between griess pre-KHL and post KHL he looks much much better than before. Which leads me to believe that him getting more playing time will only lead to him being better. Not sure if he can handle the whole load yet, but who knows. I sure like him better than niemi no question.
SEL, not KHL. And he was horrible there by all accounts I read.

It's not a fair gauge on talent anyway, imo. Greiss is solid and will get better with increased starts.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
hasn't been given a chance so who the hell knows
as long as lord Neimi is blackmailing Todd with whatever it is he has on him, I doubt we'll see Griess again unless someone pulls a nacy kerrigan on him

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 0
Greiss is barely backup material.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Seeing as how he had just about the same stats as niemi this year, infinitely better rebound control and vision. What appears to be a faster glove hand and what also seems to be better cross crease speed and control, I would say Griess has a great shot at starting and being just as good or better than niemi if he is ever given the chance.

Greiss might have faster cross ice speed but he for sure doesnt have cross ice control. That is one conplaint about greiss is that he over comits way to much, which means if the shooter waits just an extra second to shoot the puck greiss will be so far out of position it will be like an empty net goal.

Niemi might be slower getting across, but even so he will 90% of the time be in perfect position to make the stop.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Greiss might have faster cross ice speed but he for sure doesnt have cross ice control. That is one conplaint about greiss is that he over comits way to much, which means if the shooter waits just an extra second to shoot the puck greiss will be so far out of position it will be like an empty net goal.

Niemi might be slower getting across, but even so he will 90% of the time be in perfect position to make the stop.
Niemi over-commits like crazy (too), especially when going post-to-post. And his positioning is pretty awful. Greiss is much more orthodox than Niemi when it comes to body or glove positioning.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
SEL, not KHL. And he was horrible there by all accounts I read.

It's not a fair gauge on talent anyway, imo. Greiss is solid and will get better with increased starts.
My bad on the league sorry.

Never said he was good statistically over there. Just that he was noticably better as a backup this year, than the year he was behind Nabby, and even though it could have been pure coincidence, I felt like it had something to do with the fact he actually got to play a lot more over there than here, thus showing that maybe the kid just needs to get a real chance and he can do a respectable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

If by perfect position you mean flopping around like a fish out of water then yes. The guy spent WAAAAAAY to much time down low in the butterfly, thus affecting his movement speed, and probably why he also seems to lose track of the puck very easily thus exacerbating his horrible rebound control. He also absolutely fails at regaining his stature in net once hes gone down. He will just roll around and flail for a minute and looks really really silly for a good 1-2seconds every single time.

Also I would argue that its easier to teach a goalie to not over commit on the movement aspect of things, than it is to teach one to have better reflexes. In other words niemis glove probably aint getting any faster, but griess definitly has a good shot to learn to control his movements better.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:33 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
My bad on the league sorry.

Never said he was good statistically over there. Just that he was noticably better as a backup this year, than the year he was behind Nabby, and even though it could have been pure coincidence, I felt like it had something to do with the fact he actually got to play a lot more over there than here, thus showing that maybe the kid just needs to get a real chance and he can do a respectable job.

If by perfect position you mean flopping around like a fish out of water then yes. The guy spent WAAAAAAY to much time down low in the butterfly, thus affecting his movement speed, and probably why he also seems to lose track of the puck very easily thus exacerbating his horrible rebound control. He also absolutely fails at regaining his stature in net once hes gone down. He will just roll around and flail for a minute and looks really really silly for a good 1-2seconds every single time.

Also I would argue that its easier to teach a goalie to not over commit on the movement aspect of things, than it is to teach one to have better reflexes. In other words niemis glove probably aint getting any faster, but griess definitly has a good shot to learn to control his movements better.

You gave me an instant reminder of the goal he let in while he was doing his crab walk

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote