HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Old
07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Garrison isn't even close to the level of Edler. Garrison basically replaced Salo. He's not going to physical...
Actually, Garrison is pretty close to the level of Edler. He's much better than Edler defensively, has that well-chronicled bomb of a shot, and skates much better than Edler. If you want physical, give Ballard some ice time.

My guess would be that you're just overrating Edler.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Rey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
You know last season Edler had 143 hits correct? Garrison had 127 hits. It's really not that far off.
We talking about playoff bone crushing hits.

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:15 AM
ProstheticConscience
Freeman?

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
The guy was tied for 6th in D scoring this year while being a two-way player with a physical prescence...

It all started when Canucks fans figured they could trade Edler for Weber...that I'd do. Now that Weber's gone, for some reason some Canucks fans still want to trade Edler...its madness.

What do you mean? Shattenkirk never played fo rthe Giants or in the WHL.
Okay, having looked that up, I now have absolutely no idea who I was thinking of.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Actually, Garrison is pretty close to the level of Edler. He's much better than Edler defensively, has that well-chronicled bomb of a shot, and skates much better than Edler. If you want physical, give Ballard some ice time.

My guess would be that you're just overrating Edler.
Ballard isn't physical.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
When Healthy, it's going to be:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler XXXXX

He's got one spot open, and no Raymond isn't in the top 6.
And with Kesler out to start the season, the Canucks top-6 looks like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Scrub Scrub

Good luck.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:16 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Ballard isn't physical.
Hip-checks don't count anymore? I thought you wanted "bone-crushing hits".

Old
07-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Rey

Quote:
Hip-checks don't count anymore? I thought you wanted "bone-crushing hits".
Ballard hip checks don't do anything. Besides, it's arguably against the rule now. Hamhuis hip check, might have cost the Canucks a cup.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Rey

Quote:
And with Kesler out to start the season, the Canucks top-6 looks like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Scrub Scrub

Good luck.
Yep, Trade the number one defense man for a temporary top six. GG.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
1. Hamhuis is better than Edler. This confirms you overrate Edler. No more point in discussing, clearly.
2. You yourself said there was a hole in the top-6. 'Temporary fix' is not the term I would use.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Yeah who needs to give their prospects chances in the NHL when you can just up & trade your #1 dman in the making for a fix.

Quote:
1. Hamhuis is better than Edler. This confirms you overrate Edler. No more point in discussing, clearly.
2. You yourself said there was a hole in the top-6. 'Temporary fix' is not the term I would use.
1A/1B situation

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:24 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Yeah who needs to give their prospects chances in the NHL when you can just up & trade your #1 dman in the making for a fix.
Ah, yes, Jordan Schroeder the savior. I hear he's better than God's Son.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:27 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
I only looked at ES time on ice.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 07-24-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: wrong information
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rey

Quote:
Cause Luongo can't get the Canucks a guy?

With the way you said it, Garrison is better than Edler. That's enough to end this pointless argument.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Ah, yes, Jordan Schroeder the savior. I hear he's better than God's Son.
Whats with the condescending tone? Who is calling him a "savior"?

If by "better" you mean actually tries in his own end & can skate then yeah.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Rey

Quote:
You know your #1 Defenseman was actually #3 in average ice time per game correct? He had 18:09 average ice time last season Garrison had 18:35. This season Edler could end up #4 in average ice time on the Canucks.
Edler could also end up with #1 in average ice time because now he has "Superman Garrison" to play with. Pointless argument.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:31 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Sorry, I'm quite out of date with the Luongo rumours. Considering the Nash return, I don't think you can expect much from a Luongo trade.

Quote:
Whats with the condescending tone? Who is calling him a "savior"?

If by "better" you mean actually tries in his own end & can skate then yeah.
Oh, nothing. I'm just giving a friendly reminder about how Canucks fans drooled over Hodgson prior to his trade.

No, by better I mean better. Congrats, Shroeder can skate and player a lick of defense. He shouldn't be counted on to be a top-6 player with Booth and this hypothetical Luongo return on a team that is notorious for really having to ease prospects into the lineup (and taking years to reach their potential) and has Stanley Cup aspirations.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:35 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:

With the way you said it, Garrison is better than Edler. That's enough to end this pointless argument.
I personally would prefer Garrison to Edler as he is better defensively while still having a cannon of a shot. He is the player I really wanted the Blues to get this off season. Unfortunately he only wanted to sign with one team this off season.

The Canucks are lucky to get Garrison to a very good contract this off season.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Sorry, I'm quite out of date with the Luongo rumours. Considering the Nash return, I don't think you can expect much from a Luongo trade.

Oh, nothing. I'm just giving a friendly reminder about how Canucks fans drooled over Hodgson prior to his trade.

No, by better I mean better. Congrats, Shroeder can skate and player a lick of defense. He shouldn't be counted on to be a top-6 player with Booth and this hypothetical Luongo return on a team that is notorious for really having to ease prospects into the lineup (and taking years to reach their potential) and has Stanley Cup aspirations.
No way fans drooled over a top prospect?

So aka being a ****** to be a ******?

We aren't counting on him to be a main stay in the top 6, we are counting on him to step up for 10 games or so until Kesler gets back (he is a head of schedule btw). We usually have slow Octobers in the AV era so another one won't really hinder our Cup aspirations.

What is wrong with easing prospects into a line up? Is that not what Detroit does? Yeah our prospects take longer to make the NHL but thats because we are usually finishing in the 20's of the draft & not a top 5/10 team.

Quote:
I personally would prefer Garrison to Edler as he is better defensively while still having a cannon of a shot.
Funny how when Garrison was signed people were getting on Canuck fans for our team giving that kind of money to a guy who is unproven.... now he is better then Edler!

Old
07-24-2012, 02:38 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

D seem to be worth their weight in gold right now so high. How high? Dunno. But, CBA aside, I would expect him to clear at least what Ehrhoff did if he hits UFA.

Edit: Oh, and hoping for Giroux is probably a bridge too far. Edler might be gold, but a player who had the year Giroux just had at the salary he's locked in for is a chunk of diamond at present.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Rey

What are we arguing about anyways? Chris Stewarts 30 points? Last time i checked, the Canucks had 3rd liners like Hansen and Higgins who put up more. Stewart is a power forward? Who cares. Isn't that why the Canucks traded Godson.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Eskimo44

I really hope Edler goes to Free agency, he's a very good player. Complete #1 defenseman, he's not Shea Weber but he's the next step down. It would be nice if Edmonton could sign him to mentor Klefbom, but i really just hope he doesn't play for the Canucks anymore.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:42 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
What is wrong with easing prospects into a line up? Is that not what Detroit does? Yeah our prospects take longer to make the NHL but thats because we are usually finishing in the 20's of the draft & not a top 5/10 team.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect Shroeder to just step in and succeed. That's just not how Canucks prospects have traditionally worked.

Quote:
What are we arguing about anyways? Chris Stewarts 30 points? Last time i checked, the Canucks had 3rd liners like Hansen and Higgins who put up more.
Offer Blues fans Hansen or Higgins for Stewart straight up. Go ahead.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Rey

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't expect Shroeder to just step in and succeed. That's just not how Canucks prospects have traditionally worked.

No thanks. I'd rather just keep Hansen and Higgins.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:44 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
No way fans drooled over a top prospect?

So aka being a ****** to be a ******?

We aren't counting on him to be a main stay in the top 6, we are counting on him to step up for 10 games or so until Kesler gets back (he is a head of schedule btw). We usually have slow Octobers in the AV era so another one won't really hinder our Cup aspirations.

Funny how when Garrison was signed people were getting on Canuck fans for our team giving that kind of money to a guy who is unproven.... now he is better then Edler!
Most people don't know enough about Garrison to judge him properly and only look at his offensive stats. He was great defensively the last 2 seasons. Like I said I am jealous that Garrison signed with the Canucks for such a good value contract. You will see next season when he is playing for your team and you see him everyday. Garrison is not better offensively but he is much better defensively.

As I said for the Blues team I would prefer Garrison as the Blues already have 2 very good PMD and one decent one. Read what you quoted btw I said I would prefer Garrison. As in as Blues fan I would prefer Garrison paired with Pietrangelo over Edler.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

So just because past prospects haven't done well that gauges what our future ones will do? Different management & philosophies on player development. The time & effort Gillis has put into player development would put Burke/Nonis to shame!

Yeah I would rather keep Higgins & Hansen who put up better point totals & are on better deals.

Stewart: $3 Million for 30 points, 112 Hits,

Hansen/Higgins: $3.25 Million, Fills 2 positions (RW/LW), 82 Points, 179 Hits

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 07-24-2012 at 02:56 AM.