HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2012, 04:58 AM
  #126
RussianRocket10
Registered User
 
RussianRocket10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Brazil
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
What if they wait until the very last minute and then match it? That would be the ultimate troll move.

RussianRocket10 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:51 AM
  #127
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
so much ********, its ridiculous.

Nashville was to be expected..Pens fans is humorous...rangers too.

But canucks, oilers, calgary, red wings haha its like we pissed the entire league off!
Especially the Oilers fans on the main board are ridiculous.

kudymen is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:21 AM
  #128
ApeZilla
Registered User
 
ApeZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mt. Pocono, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Matt Read won't help them get to the salary cap floor, i don't see Nashville pursuing him in the event of trading back 1sts for more compensation.

ApeZilla is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:28 AM
  #129
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,902
vCash: 500
We can always say we will trade them "x" and "x" and then not when they don't match...

dingbathero is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:29 AM
  #130
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,154
vCash: 500
Imagine how much ******** that would cause

Krishna is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:31 AM
  #131
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Matt Read won't help them get to the salary cap floor, i don't see Nashville pursuing him in the event of trading back 1sts for more compensation.
With a trade of 1 of the 1st for Read (which I would be indifferent to, he has great value... but this is Weber), NSH only have 20 contracted players, only 4 D men, so will need another 5-6 players contracted when you look at how many players most teams in the league have... 15 forwards, 8 D men, 2 keepers, they would reach the cap floor just by signing the players they need to actually play the season!

Appleyard is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:37 AM
  #132
hXc Chris
Registered User
 
hXc Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/CharlieToney/sta...021632/photo/1

Looks like Nashville retailers have thrown in the towel on Weber.

hXc Chris is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 06:43 AM
  #133
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
With a trade of 1 of the 1st for Read (which I would be indifferent to, he has great value... but this is Weber), NSH only have 20 contracted players, only 4 D men, so will need another 5-6 players contracted when you look at how many players most teams in the league have... 15 forwards, 8 D men, 2 keepers, they would reach the cap floor just by signing the players they need to actually play the season!
Exactly. If they don't retain Weber they'll have no trouble hitting the cap floor. They won't be a "cap team" like they insisted heading into the offseason, but without that huge payment they'll owe Weber they'll operate on their budget, acquire the pieces they can, and be fine cap-floor-wise.

CTU2fan is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM
  #134
hXc Chris
Registered User
 
hXc Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Dreger just said on TSN 990 that the general consensus from his sources around the league that the Predators definitely can not afford to match this contract.

He said his counter argument which is obvious "how can the Predators NOT match, it would be detrimental to their organization for years to come. Another point he made was "when other players around the league see your star players jumping ship, it makes a huge example of your organization"

I think it comes down to how level headed is Nashville, are they going to let their ego write checks that their finances cant handle?

I definitely dont think its going to be a 4 picks or match decision though, I think its going to be that offer Dreger stated they turned town earlier or match.

PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE!

I guess we'll see today or tomorrow.

hXc Chris is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 07:58 AM
  #135
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
We can always say we will trade them "x" and "x" and then not when they don't match...
No, not really. Everyone is saying that GMs will be pissed at PH for the OS, but they won't be. If he had a handshake deal on a follow-up trade and reneged on it, THEN they would be legitimately furious.

But you know that.

Unstable is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 08:02 AM
  #136
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense
 
RespectTheCouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,209
vCash: 500
Playing devil's advocate here, Nash was very very clear they were going to match any offer for Shea, like Pollie was very stern about it, so it's taking so long because they're trying to get the finicial back up for it? One would think as soon as you get the green light you announce the match, given all the reasons why Nash would match, Weber is the captain, he's a franchise, player, saving face etc, etc, you would think they would announce it as soon as possible, no?

RespectTheCouts is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
  #137
teegale
Hartnell Down!
 
teegale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, Nash was very very clear they were going to match any offer for Shea, like Pollie was very stern about it, so it's taking so long because they're trying to get the finicial back up for it? One would think as soon as you get the green light you announce the match, given all the reasons why Nash would match, Weber is the captain, he's a franchise, player, saving face etc, etc, you would think they would announce it as soon as possible, no?
If they had plans of matching any offer they would have worked out a contract with him awhile ago. The fact that it's gone this far into the summer and almost all 7 days of the offer sheet shows their words mean very little.

teegale is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 08:14 AM
  #138
Lockjaw333
Registered User
 
Lockjaw333's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Todd Cordell
"Dreger says here (about 9:20 - http://t.co/uG9W59Wa) that he doesn't think the Preds can or will match the offer sheet on Shea Weber #Flyers"

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/stat...66268339855360

Dreger also said in this interview from earlier in the day that Flyers wanted both Nash and Weber and thought they had a better offer for Nash, but didn't meet requirement of including a center in the deal. Listen to interview in link above. He said Flyers are in on Doan too.


I'm sure we did have the better offer. Any package with Voracek and Mezsaros is worlds better than the garbage Howson took from NYR. I cannot believe the package from NYR didn't include one of their starting defensemen...thought for sure Del Zotto was going in a package with Dubi. And lets not forget, the Howson ALSO gave them a 3rd round pick with Nash!!! This guy is a piece of work.

Lockjaw333 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
  #139
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd easily risk Read becoming a 30-goal scorer elsewhere to get Weber. As a 25-year old rookie, he's already eaten into his prime by being in college. The age part is more important than the rookie part, one can argue that he entered the league at his ceiling.
Add to that fact that Matt Read is a UFA in 2 years. He's a bargain for the next couple years which is the only downside to trading him and having to find a similarly priced replacement, but at the end of the day, Voracek is easily the better player.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  #140
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,456
vCash: 633
This sucks. All I've done is been glued to this thread and twitter for the last five days!! Tomorrow night cant come fast enough! End it either way dammit!

healthyscratch is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
  #141
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post
I'm sure we did have the better offer. Any package with Voracek and Mezsaros is worlds better than the garbage Howson took from NYR. I cannot believe the package from NYR didn't include one of their starting defensemen...thought for sure Del Zotto was going in a package with Dubi. And lets not forget, the Howson ALSO gave them a 3rd round pick with Nash!!! This guy is a piece of work.

I thought howson would get a little more, but the reality is he was dealing a malcontent with a NTC, a brutal contract, and under whelming production. Nash shouldn't have and didn't have that much value.

BringBackStevens is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
  #142
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I thought Howson did okay actually. He got good going players back, what he needed.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
  #143
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
My guess is that Nashville is waiting for an ok / no go from their bankers.

No ego involved, just "is this a safe investment?"

My guess is that a couple of banks said no already.

As far as Nashville's ability to pay it back, my other guess is that given Snider has his tentacles in so many arenas across North America,that he is probably (or Lukko sic is) as aware of Nashville's financials as many of their 20? or so owners.

I believe given this that Weber will be a Flyer.

I have been wrong before though and on a daily basis in fact because I am married with a teenage daughter and a son...

Jumping is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
  #144
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I thought Howson did okay actually. He got good going players back, what he needed.
I agree. Considering the circumstances, he did pretty good.

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
  #145
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I agree. Considering the circumstances, he did pretty good.
He took less back than he was offered at the deadline, though (AA < Miller + C. Thomas). The only possible redemption would be if the Rangers struggle and that 1st comes in closer to 20 than 30--otherwise, there was really no reason to wait four months.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
  #146
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
My guess is that Nashville is waiting for an ok / no go from their bankers.

No ego involved, just "is this a safe investment?"

My guess is that a couple of banks said no already.

As far as Nashville's ability to pay it back, my other guess is that given Snider has his tentacles in so many arenas across North America,that he is probably (or Lukko sic is) as aware of Nashville's financials as many of their 20? or so owners.

I believe given this that Weber will be a Flyer.

I have been wrong before though and on a daily basis in fact because I am married with a teenage daughter and a son...
The longer this take, the better chance I think we have of getting Weber (obviously), but I'm still not going to count my chickens before they're hatched

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
  #147
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I thought Howson did okay actually. He got good going players back, what he needed.
yeah he wanted NHL proven forwards, and he got 2.

Funny sidenote: RJ Umberger is CBJ's highest paid forward now

thelos is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
  #148
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,401
vCash: 500
Just over 38 hours right now. Have work so it will at least get me occupied for some time.... Probably not though

Prongo is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
  #149
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,079
vCash: 500
I'm checking twitter and this site from my computer/iphone/ipad every couple minutes for any new info. Honestly at this point I'm going a little nuts and just want this to end one way or the other. I'm thinking of going to see the new Batman movie just to get away for several hours but from the spoilers I read I don't think I'll be very happy with it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  #150
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 500
If we don't get weber out of this, It will be such a cruel turn of events. I mean this move right here can literally define the franchises success for the next 5-7 years.

Jtown is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.