HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:58 AM
RussianRocket10

vCash: 500
What if they wait until the very last minute and then match it? That would be the ultimate troll move.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:51 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
so much ********, its ridiculous.

Nashville was to be expected..Pens fans is humorous...rangers too.

But canucks, oilers, calgary, red wings haha its like we pissed the entire league off!
Especially the Oilers fans on the main board are ridiculous.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:21 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Matt Read won't help them get to the salary cap floor, i don't see Nashville pursuing him in the event of trading back 1sts for more compensation.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:28 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

We can always say we will trade them "x" and "x" and then not when they don't match...

Old
07-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Krishna

Imagine how much ******** that would cause

Old
07-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Matt Read won't help them get to the salary cap floor, i don't see Nashville pursuing him in the event of trading back 1sts for more compensation.
With a trade of 1 of the 1st for Read (which I would be indifferent to, he has great value... but this is Weber), NSH only have 20 contracted players, only 4 D men, so will need another 5-6 players contracted when you look at how many players most teams in the league have... 15 forwards, 8 D men, 2 keepers, they would reach the cap floor just by signing the players they need to actually play the season!

Old
07-24-2012, 06:37 AM
hXc Chris

https://twitter.com/CharlieToney/sta...021632/photo/1

Looks like Nashville retailers have thrown in the towel on Weber.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:43 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
With a trade of 1 of the 1st for Read (which I would be indifferent to, he has great value... but this is Weber), NSH only have 20 contracted players, only 4 D men, so will need another 5-6 players contracted when you look at how many players most teams in the league have... 15 forwards, 8 D men, 2 keepers, they would reach the cap floor just by signing the players they need to actually play the season!
Exactly. If they don't retain Weber they'll have no trouble hitting the cap floor. They won't be a "cap team" like they insisted heading into the offseason, but without that huge payment they'll owe Weber they'll operate on their budget, acquire the pieces they can, and be fine cap-floor-wise.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM
hXc Chris

Dreger just said on TSN 990 that the general consensus from his sources around the league that the Predators definitely can not afford to match this contract.

He said his counter argument which is obvious "how can the Predators NOT match, it would be detrimental to their organization for years to come. Another point he made was "when other players around the league see your star players jumping ship, it makes a huge example of your organization"

I think it comes down to how level headed is Nashville, are they going to let their ego write checks that their finances cant handle?

I definitely dont think its going to be a 4 picks or match decision though, I think its going to be that offer Dreger stated they turned town earlier or match.

PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE!

I guess we'll see today or tomorrow.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
We can always say we will trade them "x" and "x" and then not when they don't match...
No, not really. Everyone is saying that GMs will be pissed at PH for the OS, but they won't be. If he had a handshake deal on a follow-up trade and reneged on it, THEN they would be legitimately furious.

But you know that.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:02 AM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Playing devil's advocate here, Nash was very very clear they were going to match any offer for Shea, like Pollie was very stern about it, so it's taking so long because they're trying to get the finicial back up for it? One would think as soon as you get the green light you announce the match, given all the reasons why Nash would match, Weber is the captain, he's a franchise, player, saving face etc, etc, you would think they would announce it as soon as possible, no?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, Nash was very very clear they were going to match any offer for Shea, like Pollie was very stern about it, so it's taking so long because they're trying to get the finicial back up for it? One would think as soon as you get the green light you announce the match, given all the reasons why Nash would match, Weber is the captain, he's a franchise, player, saving face etc, etc, you would think they would announce it as soon as possible, no?
If they had plans of matching any offer they would have worked out a contract with him awhile ago. The fact that it's gone this far into the summer and almost all 7 days of the offer sheet shows their words mean very little.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Lockjaw333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Todd Cordell
"Dreger says here (about 9:20 - http://t.co/uG9W59Wa) that he doesn't think the Preds can or will match the offer sheet on Shea Weber #Flyers"

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/stat...66268339855360

Dreger also said in this interview from earlier in the day that Flyers wanted both Nash and Weber and thought they had a better offer for Nash, but didn't meet requirement of including a center in the deal. Listen to interview in link above. He said Flyers are in on Doan too.

I'm sure we did have the better offer. Any package with Voracek and Mezsaros is worlds better than the garbage Howson took from NYR. I cannot believe the package from NYR didn't include one of their starting defensemen...thought for sure Del Zotto was going in a package with Dubi. And lets not forget, the Howson ALSO gave them a 3rd round pick with Nash!!! This guy is a piece of work.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd easily risk Read becoming a 30-goal scorer elsewhere to get Weber. As a 25-year old rookie, he's already eaten into his prime by being in college. The age part is more important than the rookie part, one can argue that he entered the league at his ceiling.
Add to that fact that Matt Read is a UFA in 2 years. He's a bargain for the next couple years which is the only downside to trading him and having to find a similarly priced replacement, but at the end of the day, Voracek is easily the better player.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
This sucks. All I've done is been glued to this thread and twitter for the last five days!! Tomorrow night cant come fast enough! End it either way dammit!

Old
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw333 View Post
I'm sure we did have the better offer. Any package with Voracek and Mezsaros is worlds better than the garbage Howson took from NYR. I cannot believe the package from NYR didn't include one of their starting defensemen...thought for sure Del Zotto was going in a package with Dubi. And lets not forget, the Howson ALSO gave them a 3rd round pick with Nash!!! This guy is a piece of work.

I thought howson would get a little more, but the reality is he was dealing a malcontent with a NTC, a brutal contract, and under whelming production. Nash shouldn't have and didn't have that much value.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I thought Howson did okay actually. He got good going players back, what he needed.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Jumping

My guess is that Nashville is waiting for an ok / no go from their bankers.

No ego involved, just "is this a safe investment?"

My guess is that a couple of banks said no already.

As far as Nashville's ability to pay it back, my other guess is that given Snider has his tentacles in so many arenas across North America,that he is probably (or Lukko sic is) as aware of Nashville's financials as many of their 20? or so owners.

I believe given this that Weber will be a Flyer.

I have been wrong before though and on a daily basis in fact because I am married with a teenage daughter and a son...

Old
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I thought Howson did okay actually. He got good going players back, what he needed.
I agree. Considering the circumstances, he did pretty good.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I agree. Considering the circumstances, he did pretty good.
He took less back than he was offered at the deadline, though (AA < Miller + C. Thomas). The only possible redemption would be if the Rangers struggle and that 1st comes in closer to 20 than 30--otherwise, there was really no reason to wait four months.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
My guess is that Nashville is waiting for an ok / no go from their bankers.

No ego involved, just "is this a safe investment?"

My guess is that a couple of banks said no already.

As far as Nashville's ability to pay it back, my other guess is that given Snider has his tentacles in so many arenas across North America,that he is probably (or Lukko sic is) as aware of Nashville's financials as many of their 20? or so owners.

I believe given this that Weber will be a Flyer.

I have been wrong before though and on a daily basis in fact because I am married with a teenage daughter and a son...
The longer this take, the better chance I think we have of getting Weber (obviously), but I'm still not going to count my chickens before they're hatched

Old
07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
yeah he wanted NHL proven forwards, and he got 2.

Funny sidenote: RJ Umberger is CBJ's highest paid forward now

Old
07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Just over 38 hours right now. Have work so it will at least get me occupied for some time.... Probably not though

Old
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
FlyersFan61290

I'm checking twitter and this site from my computer/iphone/ipad every couple minutes for any new info. Honestly at this point I'm going a little nuts and just want this to end one way or the other. I'm thinking of going to see the new Batman movie just to get away for several hours but from the spoilers I read I don't think I'll be very happy with it.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Jtown

If we don't get weber out of this, It will be such a cruel turn of events. I mean this move right here can literally define the franchises success for the next 5-7 years.

Closed Thread