HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Phoenix fan checking in...

Terrible that both Sauers had such severe concussion problems. His brother Kurt has not played in 4 years and is still struggling with normal activities.
What is the deal with Kurt, has he concussion problems or "whiplash"/neck problems?

I've seen reports that its his neck that bothers him, but it has just seemed a bit odd that he has been out so long with it...

Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Kurt Sauer has a neck or whiplash injury. Here are the links to stories about his injury and recovery.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ck-injury.html

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...treatment.html

He does not have the same type of injury as Michael.

Kurt has progressed to the point of attending Coyote home games (one of his sons always wears his Sauer 38 Ranger jersey) I have spoken to a family member and I do not believe he is contemplating a comerback at this time.

Please do not confuse the two injuries. They are much different. Kurt's injury is similar to a whiplash injury that one might receive in a car accident.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM
eco's bones

[QUOTE=mooskating;51430963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yeah, no thanks. i want nothing to do with that kid. he's a classless goon and not good enough of a hockey player to make up for that lack of class.
you guys wanna talk about locker room poison? can you really see anybody on this team getting along with him? he's a good fighter, but that's it. not worth a penny on this team.

possibly caused boogaard's career/season ending concussion going down dangerously after losing a fight in addition to the boyle incident.
He don't skate any worse than Woywitka. Or Strudwick for that matter. And probably is a step or two better than Souray.

You might be surprised as well how quickly his new teammates would adopt him--pretty much as soon as he beat the crap out of someone--especially if the someone was messing around running Henrik.

Which isn't to say I like him but it's more for the body slam of Boogaard and the blood flicking after that (which really was classless on both counts) than the mugging of Boyle. Pretty much think you can blame the Ottawa coaching staff for arranging the second event with Boyle as much as Carkner--or to put it another way they expected exactly what happened.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:53 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Phoenix fan checking in...

Terrible that both Sauers had such severe concussion problems. His brother Kurt has not played in 4 years and is still struggling with normal activities.
I actually question if he will ever play again.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:20 AM
free0717

I truly believe Sauers will be back in the lineup @some point this season. That's why I would sign Joe Corvo on a one year deal.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I truly believe Sauers will be back in the lineup @some point this season. That's why I would sign Joe Corvo on a one year deal.
i don't doubt either will. no telling if they'll ever be back to normal though so we have to be safe with the lineup

Old
07-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Dorado*

Sauer is sauerkraut really a shame . Even if he makes it back he can't be relied on . What a shame he coulda been a real solid steady 2 nd pair for a long time

Old
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Bills09

any updates

Old
07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
any updates
Yes, I was just waiting for someone to ask before I posted it.

I kid.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
None yet.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:57 PM
broadwayblue

With Erixon gone, it sure would be nice if Sauer could return.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Dont think we will find anything out until training camp....based on the fact if he reports or not

Old
07-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

A lot of our own fans have forgotten how great Sauer was for us, and how great he could be if he returns. Damn near every fan of the other 29 teams have absolutely no idea. It goes without saying that the first concern for him, the team (and it should be for all true fans) is his health, but I'd be ecstatic to see him return period, let alone in pre-concussion form. Other teams wouldn't know what hit 'em (no pun intended!).

Get well soon Mike!

Old
07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

If Michael Sauer gets healthy, the Rangers will have the best D in the NHL...the best goalie in the NHL...and one of the best offensive groups in the NHL once Gabby gets back.

Look out.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:21 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
If Michael Sauer gets healthy, the Rangers will have the best D in the NHL...the best goalie in the NHL...and one of the best offensive groups in the NHL once Gabby gets back.

Look out.
I still think they have the best 4-5 defenseman in the league. You can't expect it to happen but if Stralman plays like he did in the playoffs and most of the second half of last season, I don't see any defensive groups better than the rangers. Having Sauer even at 75% would put it in the bag.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:08 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think as is, we have one great pairing (Staal/Girardi-McDonagh), one good pairing (Staal-Girardi/Stralman) and one meh pairing (MDZ-Bickel). I don't think Stralsy is a second pairing d-man and Bickel should be the 7th dman.

Mike coming back gives us two great pairings and one really good one.

Really hope he can come back alright, though i'm starting to doubt it.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:45 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Stop bumping this thread asking for any updates. If there are updates I'm fairly certain it will be posted.

07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Stop bumping this thread asking for any updates. If there are updates I'm fairly certain it will be posted.
Either way, we're allowed to discuss the subject matter are we not?

Old
07-24-2012, 07:53 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Either way, we're allowed to discuss the subject matter are we not?
Talk about it in threads we already have going (re: offseason thread). There's no need to bump old threads.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
KennyWu

For what it's worth, Dave Maloney was on the radio last night (around 9:00 pm, I want to say ESPN radio) discussing the Rangers needs still and said he is hearing Sauer is getting better.

Not much of an update, but did hear his name last night.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:08 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Talk about it in threads we already have going (re: offseason thread). There's no need to bump old threads.
Ok, just clarifying. Usually when there is a dedicated thread to something specific (ie. Sauer's concussion) mod's would rather keep the subject matter contained in the thread that was created about that specific discussion rather than merging it into a more broad topic of discussion (offseason thread)

Hope we see Sauer back soon!

Old
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Sauer is sauerkraut really a shame . Even if he makes it back he can't be relied on . What a shame he coulda been a real solid steady 2 nd pair for a long time
We don't know that. There are really no compareables.

No way Sauer sits out this long 10-15 years ago. I've seen Kenny Jönsson and Nicklas Wallin to Sweden recently. KJ probably has the record in concussions, like 15 of them. 4-5 in which he is laid out cold. One in the Olympic Finals in 94' and I remember the reports of him feeling really bad after it, he played like 16 years after that. Wallin had concussion problems, was laid out cold last season. Returned after 3-4 days or something like that. Had problems now in the summer and has retired.

Go back to like 96', more or less players with 6-7 concussions only had problems. Now everyone is out a long time. I am not saying that it's something wrong with that, I am sure it's the opposite.

But, I am fairly positive that these kids will be able to come back and getting more problems is no lock.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We don't know that. There are really no compareables.

No way Sauer sits out this long 10-15 years ago. I've seen Kenny Jönsson and Nicklas Wallin to Sweden recently. KJ probably has the record in concussions, like 15 of them. 4-5 in which he is laid out cold. One in the Olympic Finals in 94' and I remember the reports of him feeling really bad after it, he played like 16 years after that. Wallin had concussion problems, was laid out cold last season. Returned after 3-4 days or something like that. Had problems now in the summer and has retired.

Go back to like 96', more or less players with 6-7 concussions only had problems. Now everyone is out a long time. I am not saying that it's something wrong with that, I am sure it's the opposite.

But, I am fairly positive that these kids will be able to come back and getting more problems is no lock.
The problem with Sauer's recent one is that his helmet came off before his head hit the dasher.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
The problem with Sauer's recent one is that his helmet came off before his head hit the dasher.
Don't really think that means it was worse than what other people have gotten. Concussions are from the brain hitting the inside of the skull, and that will happen even with a helmet on because of the sudden stopping of the head. The padding in a helmet helps a bit but I don't think there's a huge difference between what happened to Sauer and what happens when a guy gets a shoulder to the head or falls and smashes his head into the ice.

Also, it's not unheard of for players to have problems for as long as Sauer has and then come back. Perron is one example. What is unknown is how it will work out long term with guys who have had these long symptoms

Old
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
bubba5

My gut is telling me he will not be back.

Closed Thread