HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rick Nash+S. Delisle+cond. 3rd to NYR for Dubinsky+Anisimov+Erixon+2013 1st (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 07:22 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Looking at the CBJ thread, where everyone was expecting one of Kreider or Stepan, the trade does look like a fleece.

Didn't think they actually expected that to happen. Wow. Good thing I don't leave HFNYR.
Oh, so you did not experience the antics of a particular Blue Jacket fan in the trade rumors section of the forums?

Old
07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Shadowtron

I'm just hoping shy, country-boy Nash doesn't become snakebit by the bright lights of NYC.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Rangers also have draft picks to move at the deadline. They have a 2nd and three 3rd rounders. If they don't make the SCF, they'll have four 3rd rounders.

The Rangers have had little luck with 3rd rounders. If you go through Sather's tenure, not a single one developed into anything special.

Three out of the last six drafts, the Rangers didn't have a 3rd rounder. When they did, they drafted Grachev (gone), Bourque (minors) and Fogarty (NCAA).

Following this trade, the new issue is going to be forward and defense depth heading into the postseason. They can skirt around the issue in the regular season, but it'll come home to roost in the playoffs.

Sather's not done yet.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:33 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

few thoughts.

first, rick nash is a torts guy. period. he plays exactly the way torts wants his forwards to play. i expect him to mesh nicely with richie and would not be a bit surprised to see nash approach 40. seems like a perfect match.

also, nash can score ugly goals along with a few highlight reel jobs. this team can use his scoring skill down low and on the pp. theres really nothing not to like about his offensive abilities being added to this team. he addresses a huge need today.

i was never a big dubi guy. can remember back a few years on this forum about who was going to be better, cally or dubi. well callys the captain and dubi is in cbus. my opinion, no great loss.

as for arty, liked him but he wasnt that productive. he can be replaced. just like the 2003 pick at the tail end of next years 1st round.

tim erixon seems to have game but adding him was a no brainer if thats what it was going to take to get a guy like rick nash here.

bottom line, rick nash brings alot of what we need to this team. now. remove dubi and arty and we really arent that much weaker imo but adding nash puts us in a position to make a serious push for the cup.

im 100% behind this deal.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:34 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Oh, so you did not experience the antics of a particular Blue Jacket fan in the trade rumors section of the forums?

Yeah they were adamant that 1 of Kreider/McDonagh/MDZ was Columbus bound.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:46 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I'm guessing PP1 will be

Nash-Stepan-Gaborik

MDZ-Richards

Or

Nash-Richards-Gaborik

McD-MDZ

If the Rangers add Doan:

Nash-Richards-Gaborik

MDZ-Doan

PP2 could be:

Kreider-Stepan-Callahan

McD-Stralman

Old
07-24-2012, 07:48 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Just like Gomez would hit 80 every season playing with Jagr...and Richards hitting 80 with Gaborik? My favorite was Robitaille would regain his 50-goal self playing with Gretzky. Wayne Gretzky was his centerman, and Luckly Luc couldnt crack 30.

Who did Richards set up this season? Richards had the longest assist drought of his career in Year One of his Rangers tenure.

Who is the primary shooter on the PP? Do you put Nash on the same PP and Gabby and Richards? Pittsburgh does that and their PP sucked.

I'm not predicting any stats.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Just like Gomez would hit 80 every season playing with Jagr...and Richards hitting 80 with Gaborik? My favorite was Robitaille would regain his 50-goal self playing with Gretzky. Wayne Gretzky was his centerman, and Luckly Luc couldnt crack 30.

Who did Richards set up this season? Richards had the longest assist drought of his career in Year One of his Rangers tenure.

Who is the primary shooter on the PP? Do you put Nash on the same PP and Gabby and Richards? Pittsburgh does that and their PP sucked.

Good point. The Rangers should never acquire an offensive player again.

That Messier and Jagr guy worked out ok I think...

Old
07-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead777 View Post
im saying 42 goals.......90 points.
28+41=69 pts

Concensus that he is our best forward.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
They should acquire tham, and be prepared for a drop in production.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:03 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
ha beat me to it.

love the premise.

because of what scott freekin gomez did or didnt do, rick nash and brad richards will fail. and no stats need be predicted....

gotcha.

im actually excited to see what this team can do with a #1 centerman and a bonafide horse who can score. gaby is a solid offensive guy but hes purely perimeter and hes got a bad wing. as i said before, whats not to like here ?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Levitate

Larry Brooks must be on vacation, would have thought he'd have something to say about all this

Old
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

That Messier and Jagr guy worked out ok I think...

Horrible comparison.

Messier was only a season removed from a Hart.

Jagr was two seasons removed from his 4th straight Ross.

How about Bobby Carpenter, Ken Hodge, Luc Robitaille, Eric Lindros, Peter Nedved, Alexei Kovalev 2.0, Eddie Olczyk?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:11 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
ha beat me to it.

love the premise.

because of what scott freekin gomez did or didnt do, rick nash and brad richards will fail. and no stats need be predicted....

gotcha.

im actually excited to see what this team can do with a #1 centerman and a bonafide horse who can score. gaby is a solid offensive guy but hes purely perimeter and hes got a bad wing. as i said before, whats not to like here ?
I never said Nash will fail. I just said it's stupid to predict actual production.

I am happy with the trade, I just think a rational Rangers fan with a little bit of history on his side shouldn't be predicting all-star numbers.

I mean, Torts demoted Richards last season. He benches Gaborik once a week. The likelihood that Nash has 30-60 next season playing with three different centers is actually higher than him playing with Richards the whole season and hitting 40-80.

History says so. Low-maintenance goal scorers like Mike Gartner, Walt Poddubny and Pierre Larouche were exceptions to the rule.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Horrible comparison.

Messier was only a season removed from a Hart.

Jagr was two seasons removed from his 4th straight Ross.

How about Bobby Carpenter, Ken Hodge, Luc Robitaille, Eric Lindros, Peter Nedved, Alexei Kovalev 2.0, Eddie Olczyk?
Nash has scored 30+ goals in 7 out of 8 years and twice scored 40 pretty much by himself. I doubt he's going to be another Carpenter or Nedved. They aren't even comparable.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

One of Rick's 40 goal seasons was almost 10 years ago. It's the same reason I have problems with "Conn-Smythe winning center" Brad Richards- by NHL standards that's ancient history.

However, he scored 38 and 40 5 and 4 years ago, respectively, which is a positive.

I'm firmly in the camp that Rick needs to start putting up 40 for this to be a good trade. His awful year this year makes me question if he can, but it'll be fantastic if he does.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Nash has scored 30+ goals in 7 out of 8 years and twice scored 40 pretty much by himself. I doubt he's going to be another Carpenter or Nedved. They aren't even comparable.

Not comparing the players.

Comparing goal scorers who come to New York and see a dip in production.

Carpenter scored 32, 32, 28, 53, and 27 goals in his first 5 seasons as a Capital.

He scored two in 28 games as a Ranger.

Nedved scored 38 and 27 (over full 84 games) in the two pevious seasons as a Ranger. He scored 11 in 46 as a 1995 Ranger.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I think its fair to say that in fact Weber was holding up the Nash deal somewhat. I mean if rumors are to be believed, we were heavily in on Weber, and then no more than 5 days after the offer sheet, Nash is a Ranger. I dont think the Flyers signing Weber to an OS made a difference in our interest in Nash, obviously. But I really think Slats knowing we couldnt get Weber shifted his focus to Nash.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:

Jusy so you know. They hated each other.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Based off of what he's done in the past, and how the Rangers operate under Torts, I think 28-35 goals with about 10-12 on the power play are very reasonable expectations.

Torts rides the hot hand. It's not news.

If Nash hits a slump (like most goal scorers do), then his minutes will reduce, he'll be bumped off his normal line, and you'll see a spike in production from a guy like Callahan or Kreider or Gaborik, etc.

We don't even know position Nash will play (unless Sather or Torts publicly announced it)

Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Then why was Gretzky at Luc's retirement ceremony in LA a few years ago if he hated him so much?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:33 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Not comparing the players.

Comparing goal scorers who come to New York and see a dip in production.

Carpenter scored 32, 32, 28, 53, and 27 goals in his first 5 seasons as a Capital.

He scored two in 28 games as a Ranger.

Nedved scored 38 and 27 (over full 84 games) in the two pevious seasons as a Ranger. He scored 11 in 46 as a 1995 Ranger.
Carpenter then blew out his knee and was never the same player. Those knee issues are a thing of the past as what was a career ender back then, is now an 8-12 month injury.

Nedved was a complimentary player before he got to NY and then became the teams #1 threat. And then posted very respectable numbers during his tenure with the Rangers.

I 100% discount his first stay here as Messier was not a fan and as such the kid was shipped out faster than they acquired him.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:33 AM
nevesis

Already up in the NHL store...

Old
07-24-2012, 08:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Based off of what he's done in the past, and how the Rangers operate under Torts, I think 28-35 goals with about 10-12 on the power play are very reasonable expectations.

Torts rides the hot hand. It's not news.

If Nash hits a slump (like most goal scorers do), then his minutes will reduce, he'll be bumped off his normal line, and you'll see a spike in production from a guy like Callahan or Kreider or Gaborik, etc.

We don't even know position Nash will play (unless Sather or Torts publicly announced it)
I don't know GWOW. I think Torts alters his coaching method...to a degree. Nash is the highest paid player on the team now. I think he will have a longer leash than others.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:34 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That has nothing to do with it.

Robitaille and Gretzky played on the PP together in LA when Robitaille was scoring 20+ PPG a season.

Gretzky lead the NHL is assists in 1997.

Robitaille's shooting PCT went from 21.0 in the season prior to the trade.

His shooting pct as a Ranger -- 10.3 and 12.0 -- career worsts.

Closed Thread