HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew MacDonald (Islanders) to Detroit

Old
07-23-2012, 09:31 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You can insult Snow's intelligence all day.It won't get MacDonald and his $500,000 salary traded away.

Snow has a GLUT of prospects.He's been stockpiling picks/prospects for 5 drafts.

He felt this was a shallow draft.

He wanted a player he felt was a potential franchise player at #2,who would step onto his nhl roster in 2012-2013.

And according to ESPN, there are about a dozen teams below the cap floor, expecting the floor to drop in the new cba. NY Newsday, says Snow is one of these gms.
He's not making trades to reach the cap floor.
Again, the initial rumors were that Snow did, but it broke around the same time that it was Wang trying to go over Snow's head.

Something about that didn't sound right....lol

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Again, the initial rumors were that Snow did, but it broke around the same time that it was Wang trying to go over Snow's head.

Something about that didn't sound right....lol
It would not surprise me, if it was the meddler's idea.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Need I reiterate that when you're a floor-dweller, the bargain doesn't mean much.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Need I reiterate that when you're a floor-dweller, the bargain doesn't mean much.

Wang's internal budget MEANS EVERYTHING to the Isles.

25 yr old MacDonald plays over 23 minutes a game,making $500,000.
Wang and Snow love those youngsters on cheap, team friendly contracts.

They would not care jack, about what other teams need.

Can I make that any clearer?

Old
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
It would not surprise me, if it was the meddler's idea.
I won't over-elaborate for fear of getting tarred and feathered as a "Snow apologist" rather than a "Wang hater," but the proposal has Charles Wang written all over it.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:

They will when they aren't making the cap floor....

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
They will when they aren't making the cap floor....

The press reports that there are about 12 teams below the cap floor. Those teams expect the cap floor to significantly drop in the new cba.Snow is one of those gms, who expects the floor to drop.

Isles are at $47.7m with 19 players signed.

Snow is not trading away a 25 yr old, who plays quality 1st pairing minutes, on a $500,000 salary.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Fine, since the Islanders have a kid who was almost drafted at 17 who is more talented than 98% of the league signed to a budget deal until 2018, let's just throw him in for the Wings 7th round in 2019 since the Isles are 'never going to be anything' as the beer in me tries to tell me you're hinting at.

If certain comments of yours didn't look like thinly veiled disdain for the NYI, they may augur a better response. Not to be persnickety, but if the Islanders didn't have some attractive pieces, this thread wouldn't be here.

Yeah, we get it - Wang won't spend. What the Islanders DO have is fair to solid depth at every position and patience that is maddeningly painful to Isles fans. While that depth is still 1-3 years off from drastically changing the top roster, it would take an overpayment to lose the D they get from MacDonald, and this is further justified by the sweetheart contract he's on.

I don't wanna be a jerk, but you say "give me A-Mac, we need D" and I say "give me Filppula, we need a #2 center." We could go on all day, but there's nothing the Wings would be amenable to losing that would balance out the loss of MacDonald on the Isles blueline enough for both sides to agree.

This trade proposal's a non-starter.....unless since the budget obviously meas more to Detroit than Long Island, and the Isles need to take on salary, we are more than willing to help eat some salary.

I counter with deHaan & MacDonald + the 2nd we *should* get back from Anaheim for Quincey & Filppula.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 07-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Fine, since the Islanders have a kid who was almost drafted at 17 who is more talented than 98% of the league signed to a budget deal until 2018, let's just throw him in for the Wings 7th round in 2019.
Reading's not your strong suit huh? Already made an offer, though with the way Hakan makes picks, the 7th rounder might be worth more.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Reading's not your strong suit huh? Already made an offer, though with the way Hakan makes picks, the 7th rounder might be worth more.
Maybe, as much as reasonably mature discussion isn't yours.

And you know there's a snowball's chance in Hell any 7th of yours is going to be better than Tavares. Hakan's a great eye for talent, but insulting one's intelligence after belittling their team won't get you much goodwill.

And Datsyuk was a 6th - he doesn't count.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Maybe, as much as reasonably mature discussion isn't yours.

And you know there's a snowball's chance in Hell any 7th of yours is going to be better than Tavares. Hakan's a great eye for talent, but insulting one's intelligence after belittling their team won't get you much goodwill.

And Datsyuk was a 6th - he doesn't count.
Actually we were having a reasonably mature discussion until you came into the room.

Zetterberg was a 7th. The fat lady hasn't sung yet, but Marchenko and Bodin are looking pretty good.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Actually we were having a reasonably mature discussion until you came into the room.

Zetterberg was a 7th. The fat lady hasn't sung yet, but Marchenko and Bodin are looking pretty good.
A mature discussion ?

Is that what you call this arrogant thread

The almighty Red Wings need a quality d-man. Nevermind if the other team does not have one to spare

Old
07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Quote:
MacDonald is NOT being traded. Also, your shots towards our managment and my fellow poster(s) are not cool.

The thing you have to understand is that the goal is to ice the cheapest possible team and try to be competitive while doing it. MacDonald's contract fits Wang's criteria like a glove.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:54 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
I'll never knock the Red Wings drafting, to be honest.

I'll try this way: considering the situation with Visnovsky, the Isles are not likely to consider trading MacDonald for anything that doesn't accomplish the double duty of insulating a prospect for a year or two. The Isles are hunting for proven D, not trading the little proven D they have and bringing too many young bodies to an already young roster.

As for getting persnickety, perhaps I read a bit of a jocular tone in a few of your posts regarding the Isles cap situation - it isn't going to become much of a firesale if they can't reach the floor, especially one that removes a top-4 D-man from the roster, especially one on the contract that #47 has. The offer of Kindl & Franzen, while good, keeps the D young at a point during which all signs point to a desire to keep some experience on the blue line. I couldn't see the Wings trading those two for just MacDonald when Kindl & McDonald are about the same age.

Happy to take a 2nd liner where I can get one, but there's a good chance the Islanders will be fine if they could simply play with an NHL-level defense. If Kindl could be for the Isles what MacDonald is, I wouldn't expect him to be offered in trade for A-Mac, let alone with Franzen as part of the package.

Quote:
The almighty Red Wings need a quality d-man. Nevermind if the other team does not have one to spare
MAD concise.

Okay.....maybe I'm not the only one who detected arrogance.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:04 PM
ZetterBurger

It's too bad that people don't understand just how valuable a player like MacDonald is the the Isles. I'd love to hve him at this point but no player will sign for $500k. That's possibly the best contract in the NHL.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
A mature discussion ?

Is that what you call this arrogant thread

Didn't seem to have a problem with anybody else in the thread.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:09 PM
startainfection

wings would have to over pay so much just because of how great the contract is

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
It's too bad that people don't understand just how valuable a player like MacDonald is the the Isles. I'd love to hve him at this point but no player will sign for $500k. That's possibly the best contract in the NHL.
This, a thousand times over. That's even after considering that Tavares is locked up for $5.5M until 2018.

Considering the ownership he works with, the things Snow gets right, he seems to get RIGHT.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Snow has a GLUT of prospects.He's been stockpiling picks/prospects for 5 drafts.
Exactly why he would trade a cheap young dman? Plenty to back it up.

Quote:

Yes, the fact that they would deal him for an upgrade. Whatever that upgrade might be...
Quote:
The press reports that there are about 12 teams below the cap floor. Those teams expect the cap floor to significantly drop in the new cba.Snow is one of those gms, who expects the floor to drop.

Isles are at $47.7m with 19 players signed.

Snow is not trading away a 25 yr old, who plays quality 1st pairing minutes, on a $500,000 salary.
Actually, he would if it makes the team better. Not saying the Detroit package makes the team better, but to assume MacDonald is un-tradable is crazy, especially for a team with the assets as the Islanders.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Exactly why he would trade a cheap young dman? Plenty to back it up.
The problem is, Dehaan/Donovan/Ness were AHL rookies in 2011-2012. 1, maybe 2 will be on the NYI roster in 2012-2013. But, that does not mean they will be able to step into 25 yr old MacDonald's role, as 1st pairing d-man.

I point out Snow's glut of prospects because opposing fans toss in a pick or prospect, as key piece to a trade proposal and imo, it just would not be that big a deal to Snow.

Quote:
Actually, he would if it makes the team better. Not saying the Detroit package makes the team better, but to assume MacDonald is un-tradable is crazy, especially for a team with the assets as the Islanders.
Garth Snow's actual 2011-2012 budget was $36m, after taking out buyouts.
Wang's lease won't expire for 3 more seasons. Snow has no choice but to rely on team friendly contracts, like MacDonald's, Okposo's, Grabner's, Nielsen's, Moulson's and Tavares.

MacDonald plays quality, 1st pairing mins. 23+ mins a game. He makes $500,000.
For the budget tight Isles, he is untradable until another very cheap youngster pushes him down the depth chart.