HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Shaw up 12 pounds already ?

Old
07-23-2012, 08:06 PM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
It's possible, but fact is, I doubt it's all muscle.

These guys have some of the best trainers in the world, so while it might not be possible for you or me to put on 4 pounds of good weight in a month, it could be with a new regime, hand fed dietitians who give you what to eat and when to eat at all times, etc. Plus, depending on how he was working out before, it could just be beginner lbs.

When I first started working out, I could put on a pound a week, but now I'm lucky if I can put on a pound of muscle in 2 months.
I'm talking about muscle though. Putting on 8 lbs in 2 months isn't a big deal with a good diet and lifting plan. I've put on almost 15 in 3 months while working 30hrs a week, lifting 5x a week and doing cardio 3x a week when i was 19. I was 130 freshman year, 180 senior year and by 20 I was 220. I've only lifted sporadically the past 3 years and now I'm down to ~215 and chunkier than I've ever been.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
I'm talking about muscle though. Putting on 8 lbs in 2 months isn't a big deal with a good diet and lifting plan. I've put on almost 15 in 3 months while working 30hrs a week, lifting 5x a week and doing cardio 3x a week when i was 19. I was 130 freshman year, 180 senior year and by 20 I was 220. I've only lifted sporadically the past 3 years and now I'm down to ~215 and chunkier than I've ever been.
haha join the club, a year and a half ago I was 215 lean, I've missed quite a bit of gym time lately (the past year) due to hectic work schedules, family life and overall laziness. I'm dying to get back though. I'm up to 225 and it's not lean haha

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
haha join the club, a year and a half ago I was 215 lean, I've missed quite a bit of gym time lately (the past year) due to hectic work schedules, family life and overall laziness. I'm dying to get back though. I'm up to 225 and it's not lean haha
yea 2.5 yrs ago I was ~215 with visible abs, and 18.5" arms. Now I'm 215, chunky with 16" arms. Just got a gym membership again though, dont' think I want to get back up to where I was. Probably just lose fat and get down to ~195. I don't even want to know how pathetic my lifting numbers are anymore. Gonna look like such a putz at the gym for like 6 months.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Add me to the club. I was 175 3 years ago, now i'm at 215 and not working out anymore. I look at pictures of myself back then and think, holy ****, I was skinny... but at the time I was all "I could get in better shape".

I blame it on beer and lack of going to the gym.

On topic though, good for Shaw. Maybe the additional mass will lessen the amount of times that he gets destroyed in the corners. I'm excited to see how he progresses this year though... seems very dedicated and that's exactly the type of attitude we need.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Add me to the club. I was 175 3 years ago, now i'm at 215 and not working out anymore. I look at pictures of myself back then and think, holy ****, I was skinny... but at the time I was all "I could get in better shape".

I blame it on beer and lack of going to the gym.
60% of the time, beer will get you every time. I got into this situation by just not lifting anymore though. End of last summer I got to 200 with visible abs because I worked out for 4 straight months. Got all my numbers back to semi-respectable territory(i lose strength way before I lose mass), but then around mid-september stopping lifting again.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:12 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:

u mirin?
aware

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
aware

Old
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
needle

I see a return to reality for Shaw this season. I hope I am wrong and he becomes the net presence we have been missing since Buff.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
MagicSlap*

Shaw will never be a net presence the way Buff was and I like Shaw a lot but he just will never be able to do that.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

No one will have a net presence like Byfuglien b/c no ones 6'3" 270 lbs. Shaws assets are his grit and motor. Im not in favor of putting on that much weight in a short time. Hope it doesnt slow him down.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

8 pounds of muscle in two months is extremely tough to do.

Could he put in 4 pounds of pure muscle in two months? Sure he could if he had a proper diet and spent five days a week pumping iron for at least an hour. That is easily attainable? Sure it is, but 8 pounds would have to make me assume that half of that weight is water which would be perfectly fine so long as he is completely hydrating himself while working out. He can lose that easily and wouldnt make him lose his speed.

Now, if he is on the gas, which I honestly, imo, think every NHL player is, this is a non debate. He should have gained more, the lazy bum.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Marotte Marauder

It is not just adding 8# of muscle, it's adding 8# to the 12# he already reportedly gained.

20# of muscle in one off season means one of two things. He has a super fantastic metabolism for muscle building or has been aided.

I don't care which one, it sounds like he will be bigger and stronger come this season.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:12 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
No one will have a net presence like Byfuglien b/c no ones 6'3" 270 lbs.
Against non-physical defenders that weigh 205 or less, I agree.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:12 AM
ClydeLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
It is not just adding 8# of muscle, it's adding 8# to the 12# he already reportedly gained.

20# of muscle in one off season means one of two things. He has a super fantastic metabolism for muscle building or has been aided.

I don't care which one, it sounds like he will be bigger and stronger come this season.
Or he wasn't doing that significant of a workout regiment before. His body is probably hitting it's drive into producing higher levels of testosterone.

He can be a better regular season net presence to Buff... PP Buff vs PP Buff in (Away Playoff game) are not even comparable.

ClydeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
stingo

Glad Shaw is working hard in the off-season. Hope he comes back with a vengeance.

He'll never be like Buff. Jesus Buff put on some weight, didn't he?

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:08 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Glad Shaw is working hard in the off-season. Hope he comes back with a vengeance.

He'll never be like Buff. Jesus Buff put on some weight, didn't he?
I saw his pic leaving the court room. Looks like he's spent the entire off season drinking beer and eating fast food. Turning into the Pilsbury Doughboy.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
I saw his pic leaving the court room. Looks like he's spent the entire off season drinking beer and eating fast food. Turning into the Pilsbury Doughboy.

he's gained a lot of weight since then:

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Holy hell this can't be real. If he were a couple inches shorter he'd be perfectly round.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Holy hell this can't be real. If he were a couple inches shorter he'd be perfectly round.
At least for Cheveldayoff, the cost to weight ratio is working in their favor. I wonder if Burke will take notes as he tries to get his team bigger.

I wonder how many more offseasons Buff can do that to himself, he's only 27 still, it's going to get really rough for him the next couple years.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Also, to whoever said you can maintain agility, you CAN, but it is quite difficult to, especially adding 12 pounds. It's just extremely difficult to do. He'd likely have stop trying to add weight in a month or so and then focus slowly on explosiveness until the season starts and spend a lot of time on the ice.
It can be done, especially if you're a professional athlete working with the best trainers in the world or on their program, at the very least. There's a "catch up" period, kind of like what you spoke of, but generally speaking, people have this notion that if you put on bulk you automatically become less athletic and it couldn't be more wrong. Take a look at some NBA players (let's just say Lebron James for a visual) and even more so NFL guys. Think, Adrian Peterson. They are more muscular and more bulky than basically any player in the NHL and they are still phenomenal athletes and as agile and quick as anyone. That's more to what I was speaking of; the general myth that bulk = lack of athleticism. In a case like Shaw, where you're putting on that much weight in a short amount of time, there's a balance there and maybe a bit of a "catch up" phase for his body but I don't anticipate him being any less quick or agile. Not like he's the first young athlete to put weight on in an off-season early in their career. Not sure why this is even such a story.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
WarriorofTime

Buff needs to get his act together in the offseason. He can get away with getting really fat in the offseason every year while he's still young but he's getting older and if he's poorly conditioned he's going to start getting injured/not be able to keep up.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeLee View Post
Or he wasn't doing that significant of a workout regiment before. His body is probably hitting it's drive into producing higher levels of testosterone.

I am quite sure that Shaw as a guy who wasn't drafted, then drafted late, has been a workout warrior for at least 3 years by now.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
It can be done, especially if you're a professional athlete working with the best trainers in the world or on their program, at the very least. There's a "catch up" period, kind of like what you spoke of, but generally speaking, people have this notion that if you put on bulk you automatically become less athletic and it couldn't be more wrong. Take a look at some NBA players (let's just say Lebron James for a visual) and even more so NFL guys. Think, Adrian Peterson. They are more muscular and more bulky than basically any player in the NHL and they are still phenomenal athletes and as agile and quick as anyone. That's more to what I was speaking of; the general myth that bulk = lack of athleticism. In a case like Shaw, where you're putting on that much weight in a short amount of time, there's a balance there and maybe a bit of a "catch up" phase for his body but I don't anticipate him being any less quick or agile. Not like he's the first young athlete to put weight on in an off-season early in their career. Not sure why this is even such a story.
It's a story because Shaw needs to be at least 190 lbs of lean muscle to play the way he needs to remain in this league... and though he plays a different style completely, Kruger needs to as well.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Buff needs to get his act together in the offseason. He can get away with getting really fat in the offseason every year while he's still young but he's getting older and if he's poorly conditioned he's going to start getting injured/not be able to keep up.
Shaq does it lol

Old
07-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I hope he can play with this added weight. Some have problems with this after putting on that much

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote