HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Completely OT (Some Obscene Number)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
I thought the Big 10 punishments were simply no Big 10 Title game, no sharing in Bowl Revenue.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I thought the Big 10 punishments were simply no Big 10 Title game, no sharing in Bowl Revenue.
Yeah, just saw that. The Bowl revenue comes to ~$13M per year.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
It just struck a nerve with me. The NCAA had to do something. Having seen the crimes committed relative to the bar set going to College Park during the Bias era, its a hand slap. Bias doing coke and dying had nothing to do with the sports program either.

But Penn State had on the field struggles long before the crimes were exposed. They may well have sucked for the next 5 years anyways.

I wonder what Jay Paterno knew about this, and what was in play as he was pushed to be head coach. And failed.

I do think the NCAA felt it had to something. This was them tearing down the statue; it's mostly symbolic to me, done to appease the masses. This is bigger than football and the football program will survive just fine. Just like Maryland sports did. But now those in charge of monitoring sports programs at PS may actually do their jobs.

From the Len Bias Death: NCAA placed the Terrapin Men's basketball program on a three year probation. The Terps were banned from television for one year and stripped of scholarships, beginning with the 1988–89 season. Had to repay $500K in revenue. I bet that projects close to 30M in modern day money factoring tuition costs / inflation. They were also limited in future recruiting.

From Gary watching the guys shoot around right after he was hired? I can't remember but the NCAA came down on them - repeat offenders. I bet Duane Simpkins and Exree Hipp remember the penalty imposed.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Advice to the Paterno family, just shut the **** up.
Oh, they never will. Already responded today.

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...a-sanctions-2/

Old
07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

People are up in arms about here in Pennsylvania. It's pretty hilarious.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 07-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I am still up in arms over MD getting penalized. Not seeing Lenny in the NBA for 15 years was not enough.

During that era it was common place across the country for athletes not really graduating as they moved into the pro ranks, getting free clothes on recruiting visits, rides to class. MD was not the only bad apple.

Maryland was penalized so much in the past 30 years yet I am struggling to find all the sanctions imposed. Its a shopping list of schools popped - close to half the big name schools. I bet Miami was a wild ride.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ug=ycn-7965352

Old
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Oh, they never will. Already responded today.

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...a-sanctions-2/

Old adage once related to me regarding how people are most likely to be remembered.

"You can build a thousand bridges and no one will call you a bridge builder, but you suck one #### and you'll forever be known as a #### sucker".

Old
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

There should have been a worse punishment... the punishment itself is fair for the situation, but i say give them the death penalty for the people high up in penn state caring more about their football program than the incident.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
There should have been a worse punishment... the punishment itself is fair for the situation, but i say give them the death penalty for the people high up in penn state caring more about their football program than the incident.
That's my feeling as well. And it's not just the high up people. The rank and file alumni, casual fan, etc are all still as delusional as the Paterno family. Thousands of them took to the streets in November to show outrage...not over the victims or the coverup but to protest Paterno's firing. Even before the statue was pulled down people were rushing to get their pictures taken with the thing.

I personally know people who still aren't realizing the seriousness of this thing. I have relatives who are still saying they're "waiting for the truth to come out." I mean you can't make this stuff up. They can all rot as far as I'm concerned.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

People still show up every Sunday money in hand.

It's mind boggling to me.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Anyone on hear done P90X?

I've gotten sick of progressively moving towards the cherub physique in the 7 years since college, so I'm about to take the full plunge (nutrition plan + work outs) when it arrives later this week.

Any bits of advice/tips/cautions?

Old
07-23-2012, 11:09 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888

Roman Atwood is a genius.

Best part is everyone seems to want to look at it while they thinking someone is getting a hand job.

At NBTW, if general athleticism is your goal, P90X works, but google search for alternative diet plans unless you wanna mercury poisoning, they seriously suggesting eating fish every damn day. I actually did a lot of substituting, using venison, elk, moose, kangaroo, and emu when I originally did it, but when you first start it dude, even how good of shape you are in, its gonna kick your ass, especially plymoterics, you are gonna walk around and look like you **** your pants after it.

Last edited by SimplySensational: 07-23-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Anyone on hear done P90X?

I've gotten sick of progressively moving towards the cherub physique in the 7 years since college, so I'm about to take the full plunge (nutrition plan + work outs) when it arrives later this week.

Any bits of advice/tips/cautions?
I think you should just join a gym instead, but I have heard from people that P90X lives up to its hype. I mainly just responded to tell you to ignore what Liberation said about eating fish though. I eat fish all the time, like multiple times a day when I'm not at school. You're not going to get mercury poisoning from following their diet plan.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I think you should just join a gym instead, but I have heard from people that P90X lives up to its hype. I mainly just responded to tell you to ignore what Liberation said about eating fish though. I eat fish all the time, like multiple times a day when I'm not at school. You're not going to get mercury poisoning from following their diet plan.
I absolutely loath the gym atmosphere. I'd much rather work out in the privacy of my own home. Hence why P90X seems a good solution to me.

I can't see what was said about fish, but yeah, I cook and eat fish all the time. Agreed that I'm not going to get mercury poisoning from it. Maybe if I eat fatty tuna twice a day for six months, I will, but it's moronic to eat any protein that often.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:52 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Sonsofcain, do you talk out of your ass for a living? Are you a lawyer? Trying to become one?

Maybe you should Google the diet and realize it has Swordfish on it.

Either way the diet sucks, its a bland white meat diet that doesn't even the excuse that its cheaper, its got a ton of expensive fish as the main stay, if you want to eat expensive, just get the exotic red meats. Kangaroo is 2.6 g fat per 7 oz, has 44mg protein and 46mg of cholesterol, lower then any damn fish while eating tender delicious red meat.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I guess if you hate the gym, you hate the gym, but I think a lot depends on what kind of gym you join and when you go. Cheap gyms like Planet Fitness tend to be terrible and almost always packed, but more expensive, nicer ones usually aren't as crowded and don't have such an irritating atmosphere. It's just nice not to have to worry about buying any weights or equipment or anything. The gym provides it all and you can just do whatever you want. It also helps my motivation; once I get myself up and drive to the gym it's a lot harder for me to ***** out of working out.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Sonsofcain, do you talk out of your ass for a living?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Capitlols

I'm a gym guy. Three days a week doing the typical stuff(bench, squat, curl, etc.). I'd agree the atmosphere can be ****, but it does depends where you go. There's an Olympus gym near me that has nothing but steroid abusers, Lifetime is crowded with teenage **********, Gold's Gym is all right. Luckily I have access to my college gym.

Diet-wise, I lost 10lbs from cutting soda alone and I try to stick to fish and chicken when it comes to meat. Pretty much I try to stick to the whole low carb, high protein.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:11 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I guess if you hate the gym, you hate the gym, but I think a lot depends on what kind of gym you join and when you go. Cheap gyms like Planet Fitness tend to be terrible and almost always packed, but more expensive, nicer ones usually aren't as crowded and don't have such an irritating atmosphere. It's just nice not to have to worry about buying any weights or equipment or anything. The gym provides it all and you can just do whatever you want. It also helps my motivation; once I get myself up and drive to the gym it's a lot harder for me to ***** out of working out.
See, I live across the street from where I work, and there's a gym there (a real, fully equipped gym affiliated with Sport & Health, not a typical office workout room). So in addition to the usual irritating gym atmosphere, there are tons of people there that I know and don't like. Not a good combo.

And the equipment that I had to buy came to a grand total of like $80.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Well do you?!

Old
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Disagree entirely.

If you don't like the gym atmosphere(which is...interesting...), Planet Fitness IS the gym you want to go to. You'll be surrounded with a lot more people "like you" than you will at a more expensive gym. More expensive = people who like to be in shape. You also don't want to be "that guy" at the nice gym who clearly looks like they don't belong.

Personally, I like being the reverse "that guy" at Planet Fitness. Scowling at people who use the smith machines like monkey bars, laughing at the morons who can't figure out a cable pulldown machine and bumping into people who just stand there watching TV for extended periods of time. That and it's the only place within 5 miles that's open when I workout at 5AM.

P90X is genius marketing though. They sucker people with a low drive into paying an insane amount of money for compact discs and paper. I constantly lol at the people who "swear by it". You mean, you went from couch potato to doing an hour+ of exercise a day and are seeing results? Whoa, whoa, P90X must be bomb, yo.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:09 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I too hate gyms. I will play any sport before I buy a annual or lifetime membership to a gym that may go out of business before I get bored going. Paying for a membership for motivation to go is a bad investment. I laugh watching everyone wipe everything down. So I play sports instead, no chemical sprays or wipedowns needed.

Buy a pair or roller blades or play roller hockey, or buy a bike. Try a fast paced walk with someone. It's the European model to good health and staying fit.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:21 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I too hate gyms. I will play any sport before I buy a annual or lifetime membership to a gym that may go out of business before I get bored going. Paying for a membership for motivation to go is a bad investment. I laugh watching everyone wipe everything down. So I play sports instead, no chemical sprays or wipedowns needed.

Buy a pair or roller blades or play roller hockey, or buy a bike. Try a fast paced walk with someone. It's the European model to good health and staying fit.

Personally, I have a gym membership and a gym at home, chalk full of different weights and a couple cardio machines. Since buying my house, I have yet to use the gym at home even once. I bought the home and then outfit the upstairs with a bunch of stuff and haven't touched it once. My crappy $10 gym membership motivates me more than simply walking upstairs and using my own stuff. I can just imagine myself getting up there and getting bored within a half hour in such a cramped space.

tl;dr Buying "stuff" is just a good way to clutter your house with "stuff". Locking yourself into a contract is a good way to say, "man this is gonna charge me monthly, I better use it."

Old
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I would like to applaud the phrase cherub physique.

That's all.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Why not 125?

At the time I had it installed, this was the biggest single piece screen made for home use.

Closed Thread