HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXV - *Important Mod Warning #15*

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 02:36 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
What does Luongo care about his value, he already signed his retirement contract, the less pieces the team that trades for him gives up, the better off his new team is.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:36 AM
rypper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
No he won't
is that you fabio?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:01 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Fact is this. He's an elite Player and you will have to give up something of value for an upgrade on net, especially for one as good as Luongo.

It won't be a huge deal, but I see a top six power RW coming in return because that is what Vancouver needs. Especially if they don't sign doan. I sincerely doubt that Vancouver has alot of interest in picks, unless their high, or prospects that are not NHL ready.

The Canucks want to win a cup, and a package that isnt centred around that RW will not cut it. Gillis is not stupid. He knows that CS is unproven, so I personally believe that if Vancouver is serious about a cup, they may just keep both and split time.

Mark my words, Vancouver will receive real value.

And what do real dollars even mean to a team like Toronto? Nothing. The owners of the Maple leafs put their pants on just like everyone else, one leg at a time. But when they do it, they make millions of dollars. If anything Luongo I'd going to make that franchise money, and his yearly salary will easily be made up in one playoff game.

I do understand that that your scared of his long contract, but it's not like he has incentive to stick around if he can't hack it anymore. He only makes a 1000000 in his last few seasons. When you've made his kind of money...it's easy to say no to a million dollars to make an ass of yourself trying to be the player you used to be.

When he can't play at the level he's at right now...he won't play. He'll retire.

What does Luongo's age have anything to do with this? Nothing. It's not like he'll turn into a pumpkin or something at 35.

As far as Toronto goes, this will be the most secure their goaltending will be since Eddie Belfour, who just happened to 37 when he first started there.

All of that being said, I would love to see Lu stick around because I'd love to see him win a cup. He deserves it, and I seriously believe that if everyone does their jobs, Van is taking it home.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:37 AM
SunshineRays

Luongos brother tweeted this:

Leo Luongo ‏@louie8413:
Quote:
“ Howson never presented Nash with a team outside of list” Someone should take note!
So we can infer he's talking about Gillis/Luongo. His brother tweets passive aggressive things like this from time to time - shedding some light on the situation. Gillis would not have talked to Luongo unless this team presented an offer Gillis liked. Obviously this team wasn't on Lu's 'supposed' list - so he vetoed it. I'm beginning to think Gillis is taking his time hoping it'll pressure Luongo to expand his list of teams. It must be a small list and Gillis isn't getting what he needs with those offers, but is obviously getting the right offers from 'non list' teams.

Listening to Dreger on TSN radio today was painful. He is always doing the leafs bidding by trying to devalue Luongo. "There's only a few teams interested, and by few I mean Toronto. Florida doesn't 'need' a goalie". Ok Dreger, if the list of interested teams is so small, why did Chicago, Florida, Toronto and this 'mystery' team make an offer?!? Those are only the ones we know about. If Florida doesn't need a goalie why have they even been talking to Gillis about him? Ya. Dregers a puppet for Burke.

This is Mike Gillis we're talking about people. He's an out of the box practitioner, a cap nazi and a patient/strategic thinker. You only have to look back at the last year of his work and see how he operates. If he doesn't get what he wants for Luongo, we'll see them both in Nucks colors next yr. I honestly think this is what Gillis wanted all along. He's always put more stock in goaltending that a lot of GMs. It's why he drafts one every summer, it's why there is so much depth in goal and not enough roster space for them. He has the cap space to keep both and still add a $4M player (even though there's no one worth signing other than Doan). I'm glad he's a patient person.

Last edited by SunshineRays: 07-24-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:54 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

Leo Luongo ‏@louie8413:

So we can infer he's talking about Gillis/Luongo. His brother tweets passive aggressive things like this from time to time - shedding some light on the situation. Gillis would not have talked to Luongo unless this team presented an offer Gillis liked. Obviously this team wasn't on Lu's 'supposed' list - so he vetoed it. I'm beginning to think Gillis is taking his time hoping it'll pressure Luongo to expand his list of teams. It must be a small list and Gillis isn't getting what he needs with those offers, but is obviously getting the right offers from 'non list' teams.

Listening to Dreger on TSN radio today was painful. He is always doing the leafs bidding by trying to devalue Luongo. "There's only a few teams interested, and by few I mean Toronto. Florida doesn't 'need' a goalie". Ok Dreger, if the list of interested teams is so small, why did Chicago, Florida, Toronto and this 'mystery' team make an offer?!? Those are only the ones we know about. If Florida doesn't need a goalie why have they even been talking to Gillis about him? Ya. Dregers a puppet for Burke.

This is Mike Gillis we're talking about people. He's an out of the box practitioner, a cap nazi and a patient/strategic thinker. You only have to look back at the last year of his work and see how he operates. If he doesn't get what he wants for Luongo, we'll see them both in Nucks colors next yr. I honestly think this is what Gillis wanted all along. He's always put more stock in goaltending that a lot of GMs. It's why he drafts one every summer, it's why there is so much depth in goal and not enough roster space for them. He has the cap space to keep both and still add a $4M player (even though there's no one worth signing other than Doan). I'm glad he's a patient person.
You mean the guy who is reaping the benefits of Burke and Nonis' work? haha But seriously, you can't win every deal. When a player holds all the cards then you are bound to lose in some respect. Minimizing that damage is honourable, but when the day comes and Luongo is moved don't be surprised if it's for peanuts.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:01 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
You mean the guy who is reaping the benefits of Burke and Nonis' work? haha But seriously, you can't win every deal. When a player holds all the cards then you are bound to lose in some respect. Minimizing that damage is honourable, but when the day comes and Luongo is moved don't be surprised if it's for peanuts.

Lol. Can't argue there. The majority of current Canucks roster were drafted by Burke or Nonis. Gillis did re-sign all of them to below market value contracts though - I give him credit for that.

I also agree that when a player has a NTC, you're in a tough spot as a GM. I don't feel bad for him cause he handed Luongo that NTC only 2 yrs ago. Now its up to him to get the best deal possible, and knowing how Gillis operates he won't move him till that happens.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:35 AM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
So its up to him?

What if at the end of the day Luongo face the only option to accept a trade to Colombus, or play with the Chicago wolves?

Would he rather stay in Vancouver or still want out?
He will probably never play for the Wolves. I am pretty sure either Toronto or Florida would pick him up on waivers before he ever got there.

And for posters saying wait till the trade deadline what if Lou decides no I want to finish the year out here and doesn't accept a trade at the deadline?

Old
07-24-2012, 05:44 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

Leo Luongo ‏@louie8413:

He's really not. He's as boring and vanilla as a GM can be, he does not take risks, he is not bold.

When he doesn't have an advantage he simply hides and does nothing. He's in a bad position here, or should i say he put himself in a bad position and he's gone into hiding hoping the whole situation goes away.

This whole ''outside the box thinker'' label is one he gave himself, but 4 years later it's just not true. The only bold move he's made was offering half of his 20 million cap space to Sundin on his first july first.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
At this point, would Vancouver just be happy to get rid of him for a 6th or something? His cap space is more valuable than his presence right now.
If Vancouver is trading Luongo for crap, he would have been gone already, so this is clearly not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
Caps-
Jeff Schultz

Vancouver-
Luongo
I don't follow the Caps, so I'm not exactly sure how good Schultz is, but I'm still going to have to say no. If Luongo were to be dealt in this type of deal, Burke would've jumped all over it already.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
If Vancouver is trading Luongo for crap, he would have been gone already, so this is clearly not the case.

I don't follow the Caps, so I'm not exactly sure how good Schultz is, but I'm still going to have to say no. If Luongo were to be dealt in this type of deal, Burke would've jumped all over it already.
And yet 6 months after Nash requested a trade, Howson got crap, not a single marquee or potential marquee player in the deal and the offer didn't improve since the deadline.

Luongo is less desirable than Nash and has fewer suitors. Waiting it out will likely not yield any improved offers at this point.

So I disagree, the longer this goes on, the worse the return for Luongo.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:59 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
And yet 6 months after Nash requested a trade, Howson got crap, not a single marquee or potential marquee player in the deal and the offer didn't improve since the deadline.

Luongo is less desirable than Nash and has fewer suitors. Waiting it out will likely not yield any improved offers at this point.

So I disagree, the longer this goes on, the worse the return for Luongo.
I agree.

You have to strike when the iron is hot. The day after Roberto makes his comments after cleaning out his locker I get the list, I inform the teams, I set a short deadline, and auction him off. You don't let the Lindback deal happen, and you don't let a potential Bernier deal happen. You also don't let Florida resign any of their goalies and you don't let Roberto run his mouth on the radio. The deadline you set is your leverage if you're Vancouver. it's the only thing you can control other than of course the choice to deal or not to deal if you think you can reconcile.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If Luongo doesn't get traded when Doan signs, he won't be dealt until the season is underway.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
The Overseer*

I keep reading posts that say Luongo will return less than Nash.

I'm sorry, can somebody explain to me why a 65-point winger with a 7.8 million-dollar cap hit is more valuable than a top 10 goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:49 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post

I'm sorry, can somebody explain to me why a 65-point winger with a 7.8 million-dollar cap hit is more valuable than a top 10 goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit?
Because Rick Nash is nasty and all of you will eat crow in 12 months.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post

That's also what howson said lul

Old
07-24-2012, 08:58 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:

Because that 65 point winger is a top 20 player in the league, and the 5.3 mill top 10 goalie just lost the net to his backup lol....

Old
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Because that 65 point winger is a top 20 player in the league, and the 5.3 mill top 10 goalie just lost the net to his backup lol....
great post. 65 points make you a top 20 player. and losing your starting position to someone just as good but younger makes him worthless.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:02 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

No blue chippers went for Nash, i highly doubt luongo will draw in a huge return.. Probably looking at another quantity trade.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
No blue chippers went for Nash, i highly doubt luongo will draw in a huge return.. Probably looking at another quantity trade.
Exactly. They couldn't even get Hagelin, who in my opinion is a really good player but not a blue-chipper worthy of mention next to Kreider or Stepan. I stand by my point that the time to move Luongo was in June.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post

I just find it funny that fans of teams that want Luongo think he is going to be a stuck up child.
I don't think anyone is saying that.

I think they're saying the situation will be less than ideal. At least one player will be unhappy. No matter how hard an unhappy player tries to hide his unhappiness or work through it or rationalize it, that unhappiness can be sensed by others. It's not a deliberate thing, it can be as simple as a perpetual down mood that eventually wears on everyone.

I think from the posts of Vancouver fans that you've never been in this situation before (stress in the room). You're very lucky if that's the case. We have in Tampa and I can tell you that no matter how hard everyone tried to overcome it, the situation was still bad. It's simply one to be avoided if at all possible.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
If Gillis attempts to go into the season with Luongo, not only does he risk Luongo not showing up to camp signigicantly decreasing his trade value
Not going to happen, if only because the last thing Luongo wants to do (presumably) is make it even more difficult to move him.

But it wouldn't happen, anyway, because Luongo's going to honor his contract, no way I think he wouldn't.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Does anybody have a serious, well thought-out explanation (unlike the above) that Luongo will return less than Nash?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Does anybody have a serious, well thought-out explanation (unlike the above) that Luongo will return less than Nash?
The only reason I can think of would probably be age.

07-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
I agree.

You have to strike when the iron is hot. The day after Roberto makes his comments after cleaning out his locker I get the list, I inform the teams, I set a short deadline, and auction him off. You don't let the Lindback deal happen, and you don't let a potential Bernier deal happen. You also don't let Florida resign any of their goalies and you don't let Roberto run his mouth on the radio. The deadline you set is your leverage if you're Vancouver. it's the only thing you can control other than of course the choice to deal or not to deal if you think you can reconcile.
Don't fault your GM for allowing the Lindback deal to happen. Yzerman never had interest in Luongo. He had strong interest in Schneider. The only way the Lindback deal would have been stopped would have been to trade Cory to us.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
remer

Quote:

Because he is Roberto "lay on my stomach" Luongo.
Goalies do not have much value. Especially goalies with big contracts that lat forever.
Do we dare forget Halak for a 2nd rd pick.

Closed Thread