HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are the Rangers Anti-European?

Old
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
JohnnyRanger

vCash: 500
Are the Rangers Anti-European?

with Anisimov gone, i just noticed the only Europeans currently signed are Gabby and the King.

I cant think of any European prospects off the top of my head either...

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
with Anisimov gone, i just noticed the only Europeans currently signed are Gabby and the King.

I cant think of any European prospects off the top of my head either...
Considering they drafted a Danish kid and a Swedish kid this year, I can't say that they are. Fast and Lindberg are also two very highly regarded Swedish prospects.

Hagelin and Stralman are also Swedish.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Strålman?
Hagelin?
Fast?
Andersson?

And those are only the Swedes...

Blue Blooded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

This team/prospect pool is full of Swedes. I think Swedes are from Europe, no?

07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i think this team is more north american centric.

other than swedes, they seem to prefer canadian and usa kids.

imo, you wont see any more russians drafted outside of the top of round 1 as long as the current regime is in place.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Agreed. This team isn't drafting Russians.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Levitate

Again, I think Cherepanov spooked them in regards to Russians.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:51 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Again, I think Cherepanov spooked them in regards to Russians.
Gotta disagree. Huge bargain pick, committed to coming to NA, tragic outcome. The only thing you can blame on his environment is the physicals and the decision with the ambulances. I would imagine guys like Zherdev, Kovalev and Radulov would scare off the Rangers more than Cherepanov.

The Rangers committed to a "North/South" North American brand of hockey after the Ducks won and the Jagr/Nylander/Straka era ended. Can't exactly say the cup winners are proving the Rangers wrong, and it is a copy cat league. Seems like cores are built around N.A. style players with European skill added.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Certainly not anti-European. As others have mentioned, they may now have an aversion to drafting Russians, but that's about it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:55 AM
ecemleafs

There is also not as many Russian and Central European 3rd and 4th line players in the NHL so if you dont have Top 6 players from those countries than u likely wont have any.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Gotta disagree. Huge bargain pick, committed to coming to NA, tragic outcome. The only thing you can blame on his environment is the physicals and the decision with the ambulances. I would imagine guys like Zherdev, Kovalev and Radulov would scare off the Rangers more than Cherepanov.

The Rangers committed to a "North/South" North American brand of hockey after the Ducks won and the Jagr/Nylander/Straka era ended. Can't exactly say the cup winners are proving the Rangers wrong, and it is a copy cat league. Seems like cores are built around N.A. style players with European skill added.
I say scared off because if you remember, originally it was said that Cherepanov would spend one year in Russia and then come over. Then suddenly it was two years and there was misinformation flying back and forth from agents and Cherepanov himself and Russian teams, etc. The Rangers didn't know what was what. Then he dies in that second year because of cruddy team doctors and poor emergency services.

I think the Rangers just aren't interested in taking that chance where they have no clue at all when a player will actually come over and who they'll have to fight with to get him over.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Pizza

I heard from a guy, who read the majority of a blog that they are anti dentite....

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Anti-European? The heart and soul and backbone and left ankle of this team is a beautiful Swedish man.

07-24-2012, 10:26 AM
SomE

No they aren't Anti-European.. but they sure are Pro-Winning

Keep it North American

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
OverTheCap

There aren't as many Russian players in the NHL as there used to be and the number of Russian players being drafted has been on the decline since the early 2000s. Part of it is the KHL factor and some of it may have to do with the fact that there isn't talent coming out of Russia like there used to be when it was the Soviet Union:

Quote:
“In the Soviet Union, ice time was free, uniforms were free and boys came in from the streets with character and a need for hockey,” Znarok added. “In every courtyard, there was a rink, and that’s where we got our talent. This no longer exists.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/sp...pagewanted=all

The Rangers may be a bit hesitant to draft Russians after Cherepanov, but I wouldn't go as far to say they are anti-Russian, probably anti-KHL if anything. One would have to think they would have drafted Grigorenko, Yakupov, or Galchenyuk if they had the opportunity.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
There aren't as many Russian players in the NHL as there used to be and the number of Russian players being drafted has been on the decline since the early 2000s. Part of it is the KHL factor and some of it may have to do with the fact that there isn't talent coming out of Russia like there used to be when it was the Soviet Union:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/sp...pagewanted=all

The Rangers may be a bit hesitant to draft Russians after Cherepanov, but I wouldn't go as far to say they are anti-Russian, probably anti-KHL if anything. One would have to think they would have drafted Grigorenko, Yakupov, or Galchenyuk if they had the opportunity.
Right. There are fewer and fewer Czechs too. Seems like the league as a whole is become more NA lately too. I wonder if that has changed the game to become less creative offensively and more gritty and defensive minded.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

They were just served admirably by a Russian and a Ukranian player. It's a shame there won't be a Russian on the team, as most Russian players are not Zherdev or Filatov; they bring positive qualities as well as above average hockey sense and offensive creativity. In fact, there's a Russian guy out there set to make his NHL debut in a few months who the Rangers could have had, but alas. . .

But I love the clear interest in Swedes. Sweden produces, pound for pound, the most intelligent, fundamentally sound players in the world. The Rangers can only benefit by continuing to add Swedes to their organization. Lundqvist, Hagelin, Stralman, Fast, Lindberg, Andersson, Spelling. Not a bad group.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Plenty of rumors were swirling about the Rangers wanting Grigorenko. The speculation was that the Rangers were prepared to trade up to grab him if he fell to Dallas. Dubinsky was going to go back in the deal I believe.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

They have all North American (US and Canada) and a Slovakia Native in Gaborik, then Swedes.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:53 AM
JohnnyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Right. There are fewer and fewer Czechs too. Seems like the league as a whole is become more NA lately too. I wonder if that has changed the game to become less creative offensively and more gritty and defensive minded.
I agree, but there seems to be a few teams who have a great balance. like pitt, wash, detroit, LA

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

They are definitely not Anti-European, they're just more apt to go North American. With that said I would assume 60-65% of all players are North American.

I can't wait to get Fast and Lindberg in here.

07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I heard from a guy, who read the majority of a blog that they are anti dentite....
Those ******** !

Take a look down the middle of the coaching/management chain - Western Canadian and New England Hockey backgrounds. Add that to a team that needed to get 'rugged' for many years, bound to wind up with a team with this kind of makeup.

And it doesn't seem to deter Sather who's first Ranger pick under Smith's staff was a Czech player(Filip Novak). His first full draft took a risk with Tyutin in round 2. Same with Anisimov in '06 and Cherepanov in '07. He picked those spots well.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:22 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
In a capped league, I think teams are looking for something other than a one-dimensional player. They want players to be creative, but they also want them to have another element as well. If you aren't going to be scoring consistently, then you have to bring something else to the table, whether it be defense, physicality, speed, etc. That's part of the reason why Christensen could no longer hack it in this league, he lacked another facet to his game and could not contribute in other ways when not scoring.

Swedes are the most drafted group of Europeans in recent years, and it's because they are smart, well-rounded players. Many Swedes are good defensively and some of them are fast, like Hagelin, and can provide versatility throughout the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Plenty of rumors were swirling about the Rangers wanting Grigorenko. The speculation was that the Rangers were prepared to trade up to grab him if he fell to Dallas. Dubinsky was going to go back in the deal I believe.
Grigorenko would have been nice, lots of talent and good skating ability. If those rumors are true, then I'd have to think that Sather still has a strong interest in some Russian players. He always seemed to like Russian players more than the average GM and I don't think the Cherepanov incident would spook him off entirely.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
adam94
BU Terriers

Perhaps "Anti"-Russian, but certainly not Anti-European. Half of Sweden's population is in our organization.

adam94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:22 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Strålman?
Hagelin?
Fast?
Andersson?