HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Mylec 22

vCash: 500
The talk regarding us sending either Voracek or Read to the Preds, in the event that one of them has to go, am I the only one who would kinda prefer to see Read stay? I've watched them both all season long like everyone else, and to me, I just saw Read as the overall better of the two. Am I off my rocker or something?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
jeeze, he's got a face like an old catchers mitt. smoke much paul?
He tans too it seems in the summer. He needs thick skin in this town

Old
07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylec 22 View Post
The talk regarding us sending either Voracek or Read to the Preds, in the event that one of them has to go, am I the only one who would kinda prefer to see Read stay? I've watched them both all season long like everyone else, and to me, I just saw Read as the overall better of the two. Am I off my rocker or something?
Voracek is 3 years younger, and his play down the stretch was really really strong. If he can improve his shot he is going to be a very special player

Old
07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
voracek is more talented, that's pretty obvious i think. their 2-way ability is kind of a wash but i'd still give the slight edge to jake, but his puck skills are better, his puck protection is better and on top of that, he has a big size advantage. if we opt to keep read over jake, we get considerably smaller. that's something i don't think people think about as much as they should. This team could already get bigger up front, we don't need to get any smaller. not to mention that jake is 3 years younger than read. the only thing read has going for him that may put him above jake is his contract...

Old
07-24-2012, 11:34 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
The only reason Read would be better to keep is for salary purposes. Other than that you might be a little off.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I've brought this up before, and I know it's a different time... but after the Gratton offer sheet, Renberg and Dykhuis got us all four picks in return. Proves to me, anyway, that Nashville has little leverage to demand top players, if much at all. Especially a 2 player for one pick return package.
To be fair, Phil Esposito is nowhere near the GM that David Poile is.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Fresh34

Shea Weber's agent Kevin Epp said he has no idea whether or not the Nashville Predators will match the offer sheet Weber signed with the Philadelphia Flyers, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Epp added that the process may be slowed down because of they size of the Predators' 10-person ownership group. Weber is said to be anxious to have this resolved and has not spoken to the Predators since signing the offer sheet, according to the paper.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
To be fair, Phil Esposito is nowhere near the GM that David Poile is.
Real good point. But I would think that by offering Read and Mesz before the OS, that's now off the table after the OS. Sorry Dave, you had your chance, now you're getting less than that if you want players. That's how I would play it, anyway.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Mylec 22

Quote:
voracek is more talented, that's pretty obvious i think. their 2-way ability is kind of a wash but i'd still give the slight edge to jake, but his puck skills are better, his puck protection is better and on top of that, he has a big size advantage. if we opt to keep read over jake, we get considerably smaller. that's something i don't think people think about as much as they should. This team could already get bigger up front, we don't need to get any smaller. not to mention that jake is 3 years younger than read. the only thing read has going for him that may put him above jake is his contract...
Thank you, and very good points! For the moment though, I do think that Read has the edge as far as being a sniper. But I agree with the size and puck protection. They'll both continue to improve no doubt. I just wouldn't be too surprised if Read makes a bigger leap IMHO.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
GTopCheese

I would hate to be a Flyer and know you're one of the more "expendable" players. I couldn't imagine going from Philly to Nashville.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
The only reason Read would be better to keep is for salary purposes. Other than that you might be a little off.
Lets give read some due here. First season in the NHL and put up some big time numbers. Both have bright futures ahead of them and losing either one would hurt to say the least.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:46 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
I would hate to be a Flyer and know you're one of the more "expendable" players. I couldn't imagine going from Philly to Nashville.
Yup, there are quite a few players sitting on pins and needles. And we think we have it rough? Imagine being one of the possibilities of going to Nashville?? I would not want to be in their skates.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Sam Carchidi
Sources: The Flyers and Predators have NOT had any trade talks for Shea Weber since he signed his offer sheet last Wed.
I've seen people saying that this somehow proves Nashville will match. Meh. This can also mean that Nashville still has no idea where they stand.

07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Lets give read some due here. First season in the NHL and put up some big time numbers. Both have bright futures ahead of them and losing either one would hurt to say the least.
Oh no disrespect intended at Reader at all, I love him. Just like Jake's overall game a lot more.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Just got told by 1 NHL Exec it looks like Preds will match Weber offer sheet. "Unless,Flyers are prepared to make a great trade"#doubtful

Old
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

Im waiting till Dreger says something again about this. He is the only one who has really been on top of things the last week or so involving anything to do with trades and everything else.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Eh, nobody knows. I doubt Poile is calling other team execs telling them what they're planning.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
There are so many reports going one way or another way, last night Dreger said he talked to NHL people, and they said they think they won't watch the sheet.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
We won't know for sure what will happen until it happens.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Is that guy reputable?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
healthyscratch

Whattaya think Homer's been doing for the last 5 days?! It's gotta be nerve wracking as all holy hell. Is it business as usual or is he sitting here like the rest of us goofs hit refresh on 5 different tabs every couple minutes?!

Old
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
i'm calling ********. if the pred's have said enough to hint that they'll match 'unless the flyers offer a big package' they're ************. they're threatening to do something that they financially can't do in order to save face.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
McNasty

I don't trust anything at this point, both organizations have been extremely tight lipped about the situation and I can't imagine today being the day where the information leaks.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
GTopCheese

Quote:
I like how the guy who tweeted it even doesn't believe it.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
i'm calling ********. if the pred's have said enough to hint that they'll match 'unless the flyers offer a big package' they're ************. they're threatening to do something that they financially can't do in order to save face.
Agreed. If we were willing to offer up a "great deal" then it wouldn't even have gotten to an Offer Sheet and the deal would've been done a week ago. Match or go pound sand, Poile.

Closed Thread