HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXV - *Important Mod Warning #15*

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Exactly. They couldn't even get Hagelin, who in my opinion is a really good player but not a blue-chipper worthy of mention next to Kreider or Stepan. I stand by my point that the time to move Luongo was in June.
Anisimov is a better player than Hagelin.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Skead

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Quote:
Gilles Lupien, the agent for #Canucks goalie Roberto Loungo tells CKWX that his last contact with the team was just before July 1st.
Quote:
Lupien saying the rights things - understand's deals of this magnitude take time but you get sense the quicker the better.
Quote:
Lupien admits a trade to Florida would make the most sense for his client.
Quote:
Lupien and Loungo will meet in 3 weeks in Bathurst, New Brunswick at Loungo's annual golf tournament and talk about his future.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:17 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
No blue chippers went for Nash, i highly doubt luongo will draw in a huge return.. Probably looking at another quantity trade.
Honestly, I'd be fine with a quantity trade. The Canucks have 2 Art Ross winners, a Selke winner and a Jennings winner. We have game-breaking talent. I mean, I would love to get a top-pairing Dman or a 1st line PWF, but if we end up with a couple of great role-players like Dubinsky our team is just as dangerous IMO.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:17 AM
sakicisgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Does anybody have a serious, well thought-out explanation (unlike the above) that Luongo will return less than Nash?
Luongo is arguably past his prime, with 4-5 good years in him left. Rick Nash is signed long-term, and if you bothered to watch hockey, rather than go by his points, you'd know the kind of game he brings. Rick Nash will be a 2-way powerforward force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:28 AM
ReggieDunlop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStache View Post
Luongo is arguably past his prime, with 4-5 good years in him left. Rick Nash is signed long-term, and if you bothered to watch hockey, rather than go by his points, you'd know the kind of game he brings. Rick Nash will be a 2-way powerforward force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.
Was this really necessary. Crap like this is the reason these threads get locked.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:31 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
He will probably never play for the Wolves. I am pretty sure either Toronto or Florida would pick him up on waivers before he ever got there.

And for posters saying wait till the trade deadline what if Lou decides no I want to finish the year out here and doesn't accept a trade at the deadline?
Then Vancouver gladly keep Luongo. Having deep goaltending was the key of their success in the past 2 years.

The question is What happen to Lack? he could become UFA next summer if the CBA doesnt change their rules about UFA eligibility and Lack doesnt play 27 games (i think) this year.

Vancouver could lose Lack in the same way St-louis lost Bishop.

What about forgetting about all these Luongo talk, and trade Lack to Toronto?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that.

I think they're saying the situation will be less than ideal. At least one player will be unhappy. No matter how hard an unhappy player tries to hide his unhappiness or work through it or rationalize it, that unhappiness can be sensed by others. It's not a deliberate thing, it can be as simple as a perpetual down mood that eventually wears on everyone.

I think from the posts of Vancouver fans that you've never been in this situation before (stress in the room). You're very lucky if that's the case. We have in Tampa and I can tell you that no matter how hard everyone tried to overcome it, the situation was still bad. It's simply one to be avoided if at all possible.
DeathToAllButMetal & A1LeafNation to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStache View Post
Past his prime but he still has half a decade of good hockey in him?

Maybe you should watch Rick Nash! I have never seen a player cherry pick more in my life then Nash! He was always getting breakaways due to the that he hardly went into his zone to check player off the puck. Im sure Torts will LOOOOOVE that.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Tact

To VAN: Bobby Ryan, Matthew Lombardi, Cody Franson, and ANA 4th Round Pick in 2013'

To ANA: David Booth, Nikolai Kulemin, Nazem Kadri, and TOR 2nd Round Pick in 2013'

To TOR: Roberto Luongo, Andrew Alberts, VAN 3rd Round Pick in 2013'

I think this deal addresses every teams needs. Anaheim gets more depth at the forward position. Vancouver gets an impact top 6 forward to play with Kesler. Toronto gets their stability in goal.

Am I off? Would it make sense? What do fans of each respective team think?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
ChillyPalmer

Ducks get robbed.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Goalies aren't like forwards or defensemen. Typically what forces a player to retire is a bunch of nagging injuries over the course of their career. Goalies don't play that kind of game where you get hit and stuff, so it stands to reason that their career lasts longer. Granted there are injuries that occur torn muscles and concussions and stuff, but definitely not the same extent that skaters get. It's not uncommon to see a goalie be quite effective into his forties. Khabibhulin had a great start to the season, Eddie Belfour only retired 4-5seasons ago and old man hasek is considering a come back at 47.

There's no reason to believe that Luongo won't be as effective at 42 as he is right now.

And as I said...if he's not effective, he'll retire. I don't get the impression that he's the kind of guy that deludes himself into thinking that he's playing well, when he's not.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Because that 65 point winger is a top 20 player in the league, and the 5.3 mill top 10 goalie just lost the net to his backup lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
great post. 65 points make you a top 20 player. and losing your starting position to someone just as good but younger makes him worthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
No blue chippers went for Nash, i highly doubt luongo will draw in a huge return.. Probably looking at another quantity trade.
Detroit has proven you can win with an average goalie

just some quick stats

Luongo was 14th in wins last year, 16th in saves, 12 in shutouts.

the problem is that depending on who is doing the talking either there is a large market or small market demand for Luongo and unless there are more teams stepping up there is only a handfull of teams in the bidding and in some cases it could be 2 or 3 teams in the bidding. I think we will be seeing Luongo at the canucks training camp this fall if there is hockey

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
sully1410

TBH Versteeg or Lupul would get it done for me.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Ducks get robbed.
Really? If Booth and Kulemin re-capture there 30 goal, 55-60 pt season form playing with Perry, Getzlaf and Selanne, I think it would add depth to their top 6.

Kadri would probably crack the lineup and would be groomed into the 2nd line center once Koivu retires/leaves playing behind Getzlaf.

Booth locked up for 3 years, Kulemin 2 years and Kadri still has a lot of RFA years left.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
FLA can't trade the leading scorer on the team. And IMO, Lupul is a nogo.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
FLA can't trade the leading scorer on the team. And IMO, Lupul is a nogo.
Fair enough. From a Toronto stand point I would also do Kulemin + or Grabo straight up. The plus to Kulemin would have to be something significant, a pick that's not a first is a no go.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Fair enough. From a Toronto stand point I would also do Kulemin + or Grabo straight up. The plus to Kulemin would have to be something significant, a pick that's not a first is a no go.
This is why i feel there is no deal with TO. Grabo is our best center and we have zero depth (good depth) to replace him. We just resigned Kuli to a solid deal and having to add a 1st to him is....well....nope.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
racerjoe

I really don't think the Nash trade has anything to do with a luongo trade.

One thing gillis did say that I thought was interesting, was no offer yet was good enough at the moment. But the way it was said makes me think there are other balls in the air that may cause others to fall. Maybe it is doan, maybe it is another trade. But just sounds like there is something being waited on.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

Quote:
Does anybody have a serious, well thought-out explanation (unlike the above) that Luongo will return less than Nash?
Because Luongo is past his prime, and has a large lenghty contract. He also unfortunately has a history of coming up with poor performances in big playoff games. Regardless of how you feel about those playoff games affecting his value, the fact of the matter is it does affect people's perception of him.

I guess the short version is: Nash helps a team more than Luongo does at this point. Rick Nash is an elite player who has played on a terrible team his whole career. I'm sure many GMs feel he is more talented than his point totals indicate.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
JUst signed a 4 yr contract with nmc. Loves Florida, loves Tallon. Going nowhere.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
JUst signed a 4 yr contract with nmc. Loves Florida, loves Tallon. Going nowhere.
Was unaware of this clause. Good for Kris, solid player seems to have finally found a home.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
DeathToAllButMetal & A1LeafNation to name a few.
OK.

I don't think the vast majority of people are saying that. Remainder of my post stands...

"...the situation will be less than ideal. At least one player will be unhappy. No matter how hard an unhappy player tries to hide his unhappiness or work through it or rationalize it, that unhappiness can be sensed by others. It's not a deliberate thing, it can be as simple as a perpetual down mood that eventually wears on everyone.

I think from the posts of Vancouver fans that you've never been in this situation before (stress in the room). You're very lucky if that's the case. We have in Tampa and I can tell you that no matter how hard everyone tried to overcome it, the situation was still bad. It's simply one to be avoided if at all possible."

Old
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that.
You may not, but there are a few Leafs fans who have already been pointed out that think Luongo is the star of an episode of my super sweet 16.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
The only reason I can think of would probably be age.
Sound reasoning. But I still don't think age can be that big a factor if we're still expecting 4-6 years of solid goaltending, and you know that is what you're trading for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Because he is Roberto "lay on my stomach" Luongo.
Goalies do not have much value. Especially goalies with big contracts that lat forever.
Do we dare forget Halak for a 2nd rd pick.
So you don't like the "flopper" style. Duly noted.

There is a list of recent goalie trades that got a high return in one of the previous threads. 7 I think.

Halak for a 2nd? Wonderful, any semblance of sense is thrown out the window.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
They have to talk about it at a golf course? Can't they just meet up at a Coffee Bean or something?

Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
You may not, but there are a few Leafs fans who have already been pointed out that think Luongo is the star of an episode of my super sweet 16.
See post above yours, already corrected to read "the vast majority."

Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
Really? If Booth and Kulemin re-capture there 30 goal, 55-60 pt season form playing with Perry, Getzlaf and Selanne, I think it would add depth to their top 6.

Kadri would probably crack the lineup and would be groomed into the 2nd line center once Koivu retires/leaves playing behind Getzlaf.

Booth locked up for 3 years, Kulemin 2 years and Kadri still has a lot of RFA years left.
Yes - but the Ducks would be trading a consistent 30+ goal scorer for a couple of guys who [i]might[/b] recapture their 30+ goal form. If these guys don't rebound (and in Booth's case, it's been 3 injury ridden seasons since he put up 30 goals) Bob Murray ends up looking like an idiot and probably gets fired.

It's the "two dimes and a nickel doesn't equal a quarter" argument.

I guess it all depends on what you think of Kadri, but Anaheim is the only party that comes out of this deal without an impact player and Toronto is the only club that doesn't give up an established impact player. I also think Anaheim needs NHL capable defensemen far more than a scoring centre.

Three-way deals are rare due to the need to balance salary cap, term, age and talent, but if there is a 3-way deal between these three teams it is going to involve Jake Gardiner, Roberto Luongo and Bobby Ryan with picks, players and/or prospects to balance the risk, value and economic factors.

Closed Thread