HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators buyout Bobby Butler

Old
07-23-2012, 07:41 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

vCash: 500
I don't give two ****s.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Rumcajs

Why? He is a capable NHL-er. Maybe he turns it around this year. I dont see the need to rush his departure.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Why? I'm still willing to see what he can do. Everyone loved this guy a year ago and he just had a bad season.

It's not much of a risk to keep him.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:14 PM
brochenski
@brochenski

I still think the Sens should sign Semin to reach the cap floor

brochenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
jordan7hm

Can there not be some sort of thread tag to indicate that the source is a Sun opinion piece rather than an article written by an actual journalist stating actual facts (or at least a well researched opinion piece)?

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
BK201

Good we need to get rod of some dead weight after resigning KDaug I hope we can get dabosta signed.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
DJB

vCash: 6000
I think once guys like Z, Silf start their ELC the bonuses attached to them will put us over the floor no?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
trentmccleary

I wasn't a big Butler fan last year and I'm not completely down on him this year. I don't see the point in buying him whatsoever. He makes almost 1/3rd of league average right now, so he or many others should be easily moveable for contract space if it were really needed.

Anyways, let him compete for a job and see if he can find a niche in the league. He does have a talent and could be fairly valuable if he proves that he can exploit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
How exactly are we going to hit the floor? Serious question, not bashing the move
I'm not sure that the team cares about reaching the floor. We won't forfeit games because we're under the cap. The main thing that we're giving up is access to revenue sharing... but with the building at 95% soldout every year, I don't think that we qualify.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:12 AM
IranCondraAffair

I don't understand. He's not blocking anyone, and injuries are inevitable....

If they don't' want him, waive him. Would he be blocking someone in the B-Sens?

IranCondraAffair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I wasn't a big Butler fan last year and I'm not completely down on him this year. I don't see the point in buying him whatsoever. He makes almost 1/3rd of league average right now, so he or many others should be easily moveable for contract space if it were really needed.

Anyways, let him compete for a job and see if he can find a niche in the league. He does have a talent and could be fairly valuable if he proves that he can exploit it.

I'm not sure that the team cares about reaching the floor. We won't forfeit games because we're under the cap. The main thing that we're giving up is access to revenue sharing... but with the building at 95% soldout every year, I don't think that we qualify.
Actually, we can lose points and forfeit games.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Actually, we can lose points and forfeit games.
It's my understanding that the league has ignored minimums in the past and focused solely on punishing overspending.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Can someone name a team that has been below the cap floor or above the cap since the new CBA started? No? That's because it has never happened. Whenever a reporter has asked the NHL what the penalty is for being below the floor the answer they always give is, "It can't happen".

Ever wonder why whenever a trade goes down reporters say it's not official until they get a confirmation from the NHL? What is the NHL confirming anyway? One thing is the cap implications for the teams involved. If the transaction puts a team under the floor or over the cap, it is not approved. If a player is sent down or called up, the NHL checks the implication of the move and if it will put a team above the cap or below the floor, it won't let the team do it unless another transaction is also completed to get back in compliance.

That is the reason it can't happen. The NHL monitors every team's cap space daily from day 1 of the season through the off season. And although the CBA allows for more leeway in the off season there are still parameters that have to be met and monitored. Tagging being one of the most common.

Do people actually think that if on day 1 of the season if the NHL says, sorry Brian but you're below the cap floor, you can't play a game until you fix it. That Murray would sit there and do nothing? Do people think that the Sens don't have anyone looking at this and that they wouldn't know if they are below the floor and do nothing about it? sheeeesh.

Still not convinced, Remember last year when the Rangers waived and sent down Avery? No problem right. Except Dallas was still paying a portion of his salary, and the Rangers sending him down would cause them to be below the floor. What happened? As soon as the Rangers announced Avery was put on waivers and was being sent down if he cleared after 48 hrs, Dallas came out and stated they were working on the problem, before anyone even knew there was a problem. and they fixed it.

So chill out. There is no chance in hell that the Sens or any other team will be below the floor. As the NHl says, IT CAN'T HAPPEN. period. full stop.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
with k-daug signed we now have 50 contracts. if we want to sign dacosta we need to get rid of one somehow. butler seems like a logical deletion.
Surely it's a case of,

If we want to reach the cap floor, we have to get rid of someone to sign a big contract?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:27 AM
KarlSen

Butler came from Coolege with short season compared to the NHL, and didn't have the experience of playing the the AHL for a couple of seasons to learn the ropes of playing against pro competition over a long season.

The Sens signed him to the $$ one way contract when the prospect pool was not nearly as promising, and in hindsight that was to much and the one way to much. I'd say swallow the $$ part and let him get the AHL experience if he clears his way down. More money has been spent on worse ideas. It seems a bit early to give up on the guy. The team works to hard to stockpile prospects to filter out and get the few that really can make it in the NHL, you can't be pulling the trigger to quick on giving up.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Hold on people... it's a Bruce Garrioch suggestion, maybe it won't happen at all. It's not like the Sens said : "hey we might buy out Bobby Butler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny On the Right View Post
The Sens signed him to the $$ one way contract when the prospect pool was not nearly as promising, and in hindsight that was to much and the one way to much. I'd say swallow the $$ part and let him get the AHL experience if he clears his way down. More money has been spent on worse ideas. It seems a bit early to give up on the guy. The team works to hard to stockpile prospects to filter out and get the few that really can make it in the NHL, you can't be pulling the trigger to quick on giving up.
Butler was a conveted College UFA back then, giving him a 1 way contract after his 1st contract was certainly a mutual agreement reached to get him to Ottawa in the first place... He could have signed with many other teams and the Sens were able to offer him a spot on the real team after 1 year in the AHL. You have to respect players because if you don't, it will eventually blow up in your face. I'm totally fine with the Sens being loyal and a class act organization, we might have a chance to attract good players once the team is contending again

He still played NHL games in his first 2-way year, but wasn't it right to do so? He finished 11th in Sens scoring despite playing only 36 games, had one of the best production paces on the team. Talking about that, despite his disappointing sophomore season, Butler has a production pace of 14 goals (more than Foligno the top-6 forward on a goalie last year), 18 assists for 32 points per 82 games

Last edited by Xspyrit: 07-24-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

It only makes sense if they need the roster spot.

Looks like the CBA Wizzos already proved boo boo wrong though.

Last edited by John Holmes*: 07-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:46 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Nobody is taking on a $1.2 M for a 14th forward. Buy out sounds reasonable and should be exercised in this case - as it will save the owner some dough as well.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:37 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I think if you read the thread, it's been shown that the scenario suggested by boo boo is not possible since the Sens Have not had multiple arbitration hearings.

Butler has shown some ability, but he had a real bad season. If he doesn't come out strong, he may as well start using whatever degree he earned at UNH.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brochenski View Post
I still think the Sens should sign Semin to reach the cap floor
I'm about 90% sure we're fine as it is for the upcoming CBA. No way the floor goes up.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
tony d
Ruffles in Space

What a fall from grace for this guy. Just last year he was being called the next big thing in Ottawa. Now he may be released, shows you how fast a year can change things.

07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
What a fall from grace for this guy. Just last year he was being called the next big thing in Ottawa. Now he may be released, shows you how fast a year can change things.
And six months from now this board could be in love with him again.

NHL teams generally have more patience with prospects than Sun columnists or the guys who frequent message boards.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
True Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Actually, the way I'm reading the CBA, the 48 hour buyout option is only available to teams that have more than 1 player file for arbitration in that off-season. This, theoretically is to help balance out the uncertainty of the guaranteed award and salary amount of the player going through arbitration, allowing the team to adjust its roster on a one time basis by buying out another player if the arbitration award thoroughly messes with their cap or salary structure. I guess it was determined that only having one player go through arbitration wasn't going to mess any team up enough to force them into taking this option so it needed to be at least 2 players.

It's not the first time Garrioch would have not been able to properly interpret the CBA. Remember that Bruce also stated emphatically that the Sens would "walk away" from Daugavins arbitration award if it was a 1 way contract not understanding that this was not an option available to the Sens for any contract award less than $1.4 million (an award Daugavins definitely wasn't getting).

So, once again, Bruce a) is writing whole articles based on his opinion and passing them off as something the team is actually considering and b) has no idea how the CBA works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
doh, yeah, that's right.
Not true and not true.

That exception you are referring to is only for club-elected arbitration. Daugavins filed, not the Sens. Therefore, the temporary buy-out period does exist...will the Sens use it, is another question?

True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
It's my understanding that the league has ignored minimums in the past and focused solely on punishing overspending.
The teams the usually leave alone are the struggling southern teams.

Melnyk and Bettman are buddy buddy so I doubt anything would happen, just saying it could.

Like speeding 105 km/h in a 100. You are unlikely to get a ticket, but you still can get one if the officer is a dick.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:47 PM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
What a fall from grace for this guy. Just last year he was being called the next big thing in Ottawa.
not by me. i was never a huge butler fan. i was certainly willing to give him a shot to earn a spot and maybe develop into a sniper, but my expectations weren't that high for him.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

If the Sens do buy out Butler, a bigger move is coming. It has to be.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote