HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jay Harrison signed to three-year extension

Old
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

vCash: 500
If a prospect is good enough to make the jump to NHL a roster spot will be made for him. But that happens when the time is right, not three years in advance.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:31 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

WOW!!! NO COMPLAINTS?!

It seems like every time we re-sign a player, everyone here loses it... so the moment I read about Harrison, I had to come here and check out the rage. This is a nice change for once!

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

If only this was three years ago.

Jay Harrison, giving whipping boys eternal hope.

07-24-2012, 12:45 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
WOW!!! NO COMPLAINTS?!

It seems like every time we re-sign a player, everyone here loses it... so the moment I read about Harrison, I had to come here and check out the rage. This is a nice change for once!
What's the need to sign a bottom-pairing defenseman to a contract extension? Were there not going to bottom pairing defensemen eligible as FAs? What leverage did Harrison have? "If you don't sign me to a three-year extension, you'll be forced to find another borderline NHL defenseman next summer!"

Furthermore, we signed Harrison at his peak value. He produced next to nothing in the second half of the season. If Harrison scores 10 points next season, we could have got him for a lot cheaper. Instead, we "buy high" and commit to Harrison for the next four years at in inflated rate, where his unmovable contract will take away spots from elite blue-chip prospects such as Austin Levi, Danny Biega, and Mark Alt.

**** you JR, you worthless piece of ****.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
What's the need to sign a bottom-pairing defenseman to a contract extension? Were there not going to bottom pairing defensemen eligible as FAs? What leverage did Harrison have? "If you don't sign me to a three-year extension, you'll be forced to find another borderline NHL defenseman next summer!"

Furthermore, we signed Harrison at his peak value. He produced next to nothing in the second half of the season. If Harrison scores 10 points next season, we could have got him for a lot cheaper. Instead, we "buy high" and commit to Harrison for the next four years at in inflated rate, where his unmovable contract will take away spots from elite blue-chip prospects such as Austin Levi, Danny Biega, and Mark Alt.

Who peed in your meth this morning?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
I'm saying if they develop... Right now there is no spot for any of them for 3 years...

I love the Harrison signing and McBain, so I'm not complaining... Just saying if one of those 3 really develop fast, then there is no room to continue their improvement... Its a good problem to have
If they develop quickly and unexpectedly, there will be room. Just as there was for Faulk this past season.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

There was room for Faulk because, well the group ****ing sucked and they were an injury prone group of suckage.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:

I agree. Doesn't everyone remember Melichar and Alberts ?

If you find a bottom pairing guy who is versatile enough that you ate comfortable playing top 4 minutes from time to time then why not sign him if you don't have to break the bank. Giving Harrison an extra 600k a year keeps us from having to gamble on fringe guys. And if young guys play well enough to knock him out, his deal is easily trade able at this cheap price

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
There was room for Faulk because, well the group ****ing sucked and they were an injury prone group of suckage.
I don't understand, how's that different from this year's group?

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
I agree. Doesn't everyone remember Melichar and Alberts ?

If you find a bottom pairing guy who is versatile enough that you ate comfortable playing top 4 minutes from time to time then why not sign him if you don't have to break the bank. Giving Harrison an extra 600k a year keeps us from having to gamble on fringe guys. And if young guys play well enough to knock him out, his deal is easily trade able at this cheap price
LOL someone missed the joke...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I didn't say it was. Kinda my point. The group sucked and we signed them all to extensions. Lol. Well except the best defensive one of the group lol

I like each piece of our D (except Corvo) but they suck when pieced together.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
The only change from the opening day "group of suckage" is Kaberle and Allen are gone and Corvo is in. This group is equally as sucky and equally as injury prone. And it was McBain that was made a healthy scratch when Faulk first earned a spot.

If one of those guys (Biega, Alt, Levi) shows that they deserve to be in the line-up, then they will. If they can't beat out the existing NHL guys, then they obviously can still develop further in the AHL. This is a non-issue.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:

This board really does seem to be buying into this lately.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:17 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
This board really does seem to be buying into this lately.
It's Dave's fault. We'll believe anything he says...and more.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Yep, I wouldn't even know those guys names without Dave.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
People seem anxious to pencil in players who haven't turned pro yet. Not that being excited about them isn't justified.

I think we've been a bit spoiled with Skinner/Faulk playing so well so young, and have this idea that all of our prospects might do the same, rather than them being the exception.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think Biega is closer than some think. But I agree with Alt and Levi.

We're not even talking about Murphy.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
I could a see a Levi-Biega pairing backing up the elite Boychuk-Dalpe-Bowman line that has been terrorizing the NHL for the past two years.

But there may not be room for them with Rodney and Carson anchoring the blueline for the next decade.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
People seem anxious to pencil in players who haven't turned pro yet. Not that being excited about them isn't justified.

I think we've been a bit spoiled with Skinner/Faulk playing so well so young, and have this idea that all of our prospects might do the same, rather than them being the exception.
We've enjoyed the Skinner/Faulk types but we've also suffered through the frustration of the Boychuk/Dalpe/Bowman types.

It'd be nice to see our higher end prospects develop for a year (likely two in the case of defensemen) in juniors/NCAA then spend a little time in the AHL seasoning and be ready to handle full time NHL responsibilities.

That would be a good middle ground to see working for our development, but it seems that as long as Daniels is heading up Charlotte, we can't rely on them to properly develop forwards.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

I like Jay, and the contract is a steal. win//win.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
That would be a good middle ground to see working for our development, but it seems that as long as Daniels is heading up Charlotte, we can't rely on them to properly develop forwards.
This isnt even close to a fair statement.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
This isnt even close to a fair statement.
I said it seems, not there is absolutely no doubt.

And there isn't any evidence to the contrary at all.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Great deal for the canes. Jay could have probably got at least half a mil more on the open market based off last season alone. Another season like that and double it. Great signing

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Dance puppets, dance.

No seriously, they're really good prospects, but that doesn't mean they'll be nhl ready in the next couple seasons. And if they are it's a good problem to have

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
The only change from the opening day "group of suckage" is Kaberle and Allen are gone and Corvo is in. This group is equally as sucky and equally as injury prone. And it was McBain that was made a healthy scratch when Faulk first earned a spot.

If one of those guys (Biega, Alt, Levi) shows that they deserve to be in the line-up, then they will. If they can't beat out the existing NHL guys, then they obviously can still develop further in the AHL. This is a non-issue.
I agree that it's a non-issue. Players will be moved as necessary.

He does make an interesting observation, though, about our obviously-inadequate defense group being locked into multi-year contracts.

Pitkanen (2014) - Faulk (2014)
Gleason (2016) - Corvo (2013)
Harrison (2016) - McBain (2014)

My concern isn't what happens if a prospect pushes someone out... my concern is what if the prospects DON'T come through. JR has been laser-focused on acquiring forwards this summer, and while I certainly understand that, I wonder if he shouldn't be equally aggressive about chasing a top-4 defenseman. Because as stated above, all of these guys are on nice contracts individually but as a group they are not nearly good enough.

All that said, Harrison at $1.5M is a bargain considering the direction that defenseman salaries are headed.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote