HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
  #226
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,993
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I wonder if the Flyers now stumble drunkenly, team to team, looking for any RFA that will take their dirty dirty dollars.

TehDoak is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
  #227
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,264
vCash: 500
Good news for Preds fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Good for Nashville. If Weber wanted out, signing an offer sheet wasn't smart.
It definitely wasn't. He called Nashville's bluff, and lost. I don't think he ever truly "wanted out" as the phrase is customarily used. He just preferred to play in Philly. But it was always about getting this money pre-new CBA.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
  #228
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,672
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Good for Nashville. If Weber wanted out, signing an offer sheet wasn't smart.
It's about the money, not wanting out.

Glad the Preds matched.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
  #229
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
I wonder if the Flyers now stumble drunkenly, team to team, looking for any RFA that will take their dirty dirty dollars.
nice

stokes84 is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
  #230
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,454
vCash: 500
Good for the Preds.

slip is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:48 PM
  #231
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Good for the Preds.

And for the Sabres...

Der Jaeger is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
  #232
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Good for the Preds.
I guess. They could have done this last year at a much nicer contract in terms of up front money. Im sure someone is very upset, the owner or GM, wondering why they didnt do this earlier.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
  #233
Dr. Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I guess. They could have done this last year at a much nicer contract in terms of up front money. Im sure someone is very upset, the owner or GM, wondering why they didnt do this earlier.
*Flashbacks to the 5 yr/$25 million contract offer that Briere supposedly would have taken... Then Drury leaving, and the 7 yr/$49 million offer for Vanek. Larry Quinn's smug face swirling around my head, guffawing. I start crying, begging, shouting, "Please, please, I'll even take Zubrus back...nooooooooooooooooo!!."*

Dr. Zoidberg is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
  #234
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
I wonder if the Flyers now stumble drunkenly, team to team, looking for any RFA that will take their dirty dirty dollars.
With Carle departing, and Pronger possibly done for good, they need to upgrade that blueline. Pickings are slim amongst the remaining UFAs--perhabs Rozsival and/or Colaiacovo could be solid plugs--and beyond Edler and Enstrom next summer, there's not much to write home about in 2013, either. Nevermind the fact that Timonen's deal is up then, too.

The guy I'm watching right now is Kulikov. He's RFA and I could see Philly considering throwing a big deal at him and hoping the Panthers decline matching. Subban and Carlson are also RFA, but their organizations have the wherewithal to match those offer sheets and return the favor in the future.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:12 PM
  #235
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,514
vCash: 500
Justice.The way the Flyer fans were constantly stating that Nashville had no chance of matching and getting ahead of themselves talking about what jersey of Webers they would order, it's great to see the Preds match.

Even bigger is that a franchise dman isn't coming to our conference.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
  #236
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
With Carle departing, and Pronger possibly done for good, they need to upgrade that blueline. Pickings are slim amongst the remaining UFAs--perhabs Rozsival and/or Colaiacovo could be solid plugs--and beyond Edler and Enstrom next summer, there's not much to write home about in 2013, either. Nevermind the fact that Timonen's deal is up then, too.

The guy I'm watching right now is Kulikov. He's RFA and I could see Philly considering throwing a big deal at him and hoping the Panthers decline matching. Subban and Carlson are also RFA, but their organizations have the wherewithal to match those offer sheets and return the favor in the future.
They could always make a trade for a Dman, then fill the hole with an RFA forward. One such as E.Kane or Tyler Ennis

HiddenInLight is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
  #237
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Still speculation that Weber and his agent didn't expect the match.

If so, they are ****ing idiots that took a really dumb gamble, if their priority was to get out of Nashville.

vcv is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 03:51 PM
  #238
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Good for the Preds.....And every team in the EC.
If Weber wasn't ok with playing his career in Nashville, he would've had to be dumb as **** to sign any OS longer than 1 year, so I assume it was just about him making sure he got a long front-loaded deal before the new CBA.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
  #239
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,873
vCash: 500
Thank God he stays out west.

sabresfan129103 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
  #240
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Now Weber wants a NMC put into his contract?!?! ... Why in Gods name would Nashville even consider this!? ha... Suck it up, Shea

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM
  #241
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,672
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Now Weber wants a NMC put into his contract?!?! ... Why in Gods name would Nashville even consider this!? ha... Suck it up, Shea
Would it be surprising if the Preds looked for a better deal than four pieces of middling futures for Weber next summer? I can think of a couple teams that might have the payroll and young, cheap assets to make it happen....

Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
  #242
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I like to think this is good news for Buffalo but just not sure..

JOHNBOY is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:21 PM
  #243
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I like to think this is good news for Buffalo but just not sure..
It's good news in that it keeps Weber out West, but I can't imagine it does anything good for the Sabres on the trade front. Philly will be active and has better assets to give up than the Sabres. That hurts them in the Ryan sweeps (if they're still even in the Ryan sweeps).

At this point, I think Regier either finds a 3rd line center or pulls a trade off no one saw coming. We know he covets Doan, it's likely he wants Ryan, it's possible he kicked the tires on Stastny...but there could be a Hodgson-type move that blindsides us. Or I'm just being wishful.

But back on topic with this thread...yeah, Nashville. Weber. Hmm.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:25 PM
  #244
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It's good news in that it keeps Weber out West, but I can't imagine it does anything good for the Sabres on the trade front. Philly will be active and has better assets to give up than the Sabres. That hurts them in the Ryan sweeps (if they're still even in the Ryan sweeps).

At this point, I think Regier either finds a 3rd line center or pulls a trade off no one saw coming. We know he covets Doan, it's likely he wants Ryan, it's possible he kicked the tires on Stastny...but there could be a Hodgson-type move that blindsides us. Or I'm just being wishful.
agreed, I see them making a big push for Doan now..

JOHNBOY is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:27 PM
  #245
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Would it be surprising if the Preds looked for a better deal than four pieces of middling futures for Weber next summer? I can think of a couple teams that might have the payroll and young, cheap assets to make it happen....

People say noway Preds trade Weber next summer after dishing out 28 million. I think it's a very good possibility.....They would of lost a lot more then 28 million had they let him walk for 4 late 1st rounders.

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
  #246
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Still speculation that Weber and his agent didn't expect the match.

If so, they are ****ing idiots that took a really dumb gamble, if their priority was to get out of Nashville.


Willy Daunic ‏@WillyD1025

Epp on whether he was surprised #Preds matched: "We were surprised at the offer and surprised an organization like Nashville matched it"

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
  #247
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Willy Daunic ‏@WillyD1025

Epp on whether he was surprised #Preds matched: "We were surprised at the offer and surprised an organization like Nashville matched it"
I'm surprised that they're surprised. Offer sheets are like a challenge, and even financially strapped or fiscally responsible teams see it as an affront that can't be ignored. Either bite the bullet or look weak. I doubt Nashville or Golisano a few years back wanted to match and pay out the nose...but it's almost as if you have to do it. If Weber really wanted to get out of town, he certainly lost. If he just wanted a boatload of money, then steaks and beer on him tonight.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
  #248
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
People say noway Preds trade Weber next summer after dishing out 28 million. I think it's a very good possibility.....They would of lost a lot more then 28 million had they let him walk for 4 late 1st rounders.
Could a team with big pockets pay money in a trade, like the Gretzky trade, so that Nashville makes back their losses?

stokes84 is online now  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:48 PM
  #249
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Could a team with big pockets pay money in a trade, like the Gretzky trade, so that Nashville makes back their losses?
Don't think that's allowed anymore.

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
  #250
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Could a team with big pockets pay money in a trade, like the Gretzky trade, so that Nashville makes back their losses?
Yehhhh im 99.9% sure this is a thing of the very distant past.
This ain't the MLB!

Selanne00008 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.