HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread (All Weber Talk Here - No, they can't trade him)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, you know holgrem is really kicking him self, they coveted weber so much, they over did it. If they wanted him that bad they needed to make a trade. They just missed out on what they desperately wanted.
They were working on a deal, but Poille wanted Couturier, Schenn +. Holmgren decided that was too much.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Do players actually get paid in the event of a lockout? If so, wtf is the point? Is the only leverage the owners gain is the fact the the players aren't on NHL ice?
They don't get paid but Weber's OS contract has HUGE signing bonus that I believe players still get even with a lockout. If that's the case, then a more cash-strapped team would be paying huge dollars to a player while not making any money from gate/TV revenue...yikes.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
joestevens29

One thing is for sure you won't see any favors from Poille when it comes to trading Weber, whenever that might be.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
They don't get paid but Weber's OS contract has HUGE signing bonus that I believe players still get even with a lockout.

That's why I can't see Weber being traded next summer, whether he asks for it or not. Paying a guy $20M+ for one season then trading him is a way to financially cripple a team.
How does it change the Preds financial situation if they keep him or trade him after one season? That money is gone either way.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Do players actually get paid in the event of a lockout? If so, wtf is the point? Is the only leverage the owners gain is the fact the the players aren't on NHL ice?
No, they miss out on their regular salaries, but Weber gets a ton of bonus money, so he is sitting pretty and they have to pay out those bonuses regardless if they ever play a game next year.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
plikestechno

Theyre not trading him. At least for a few years. Weber really boned himself. Should have just waited for ufa but saw his buddy suter get paid and wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
They don't get paid in the event of a lockout, that's why the contract was structured to provide huge upfront bonuses. I'm pretty sure Shea Weber just got a $13 million minus source deductions payment deposited into his account.

Old
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
One thing is for sure you won't see any favors from Poille when it comes to trading Weber, whenever that might be.
Pretty much.

If the last place he wants to go offers the best package a year from now, then I think Shea is going to regret signing that offer sheet and not negotiating a deal.

If I was Poile I would not do him ANY favours whatsoever.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
No, they miss out on their regular salaries, but Weber gets a ton of bonus money, so he is sitting pretty and they have to pay out those bonuses regardless if they ever play a game next year.
Makes sense.

It's a big gamble. Hopefully this bodes well for the season - Poille must feel that there is a good chance that the CBA will be extended a year or that a deal will be done. Either way, they must have the cash or financing available in the event that there is no season.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
For what?
Sorry with all the daugavins talk i thought he was a dman.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They were working on a deal, but Poille wanted Couturier, Schenn +. Holmgren decided that was too much.
That is what Flyer fans will say, but I don't think it is true. He didn't want to give up Shenn and Couturier thinking that he could get Weber for 4 firsts. If he thought Nash would match, he would have stepped up the offer. Holgrem wanted Weber bad, I think he is pissed at the moment. If he could go back, he would have made a deal. probably with one of those two involved and some firsts.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Pretty much.

If the last place he wants to go offers the best package a year from now, then I think Shea is going to regret signing that offer sheet and not negotiating a deal.

You have to think there is bad blood between Weber and the Preds now. Weber and his agent should have kept their mouths shut about wanting to go to PHI.

Will be interesting to see what sort of pressed NSH has for this. Can't imagine it will involve both Poille and Weber sitting at a table together, smiling and shaking hands.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Mr Sakich

one good outcome of this offer sheet is that the Preds are now desperately pushing Betmman to get the season started on time. Weber's bonus is paid regardless of when the season starts and the Preds now do not want to lose any ticket revenue.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Harley

Weber deal. That was one ugly poker game. And it looks like everybody loses.

Well, lets see if Weber is man enough to carry that contract. He better be.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
In all honestly that's a pretty small amount to pay for one of the best d-men in the game. Someone had to leave Philly they can't afford all those guys if they hit their potential and if they don't hit their potential then all the better that they trade them. Basically that would have just been a Richard+ for Weber trade last year.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
In all honestly that's a pretty small amount to pay for one of the best d-men in the game. Someone had to leave Philly they can't afford all those guys if they hit their potential and if they don't hit their potential then all the better that they trade them. Basically that would have just been a Richard+ for Weber trade last year.
They would've just moved a d-man for now. When Schenn/Coututier get too good then Hartnell or Briere are gone or whoever.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
OilerNut*

I wonder how many star RFAs will test the market, like what would prevent Hall from waiting until after July 1st to re-sign to see if he can get an offer sheet from another team with a better offer?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I wonder how many star RFAs will test the market, like what would prevent Hall from waiting until after July 1st to re-sign to see if he can get an offer sheet from another team with a better offer?
A good offer from the club prior to July 1.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
They would've just moved a d-man for now. When Schenn/Coututier get too good then Hartnell or Briere are gone or whoever.
Well yeah but its about securing a cup ASAP. Weber puts them as a legit contender today.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Toydarian

I am glad NSH matched. PHI's offersheet was an attempt to bully a small market team.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:40 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
He wants to stay in Edmonton. Ideally all of ebs, nuge, yaks, hall ect will take a bit less to stay here and win.

That is why it is so important to make progess this year. Not get another first round pick. If we are dead last again why the hell would hall not take as much money as possible and attempt to get the hell out.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Pretty much.

Dreger on Twitter is saying Weber's agents are asking for a NTC/NMC. Why in god's name would Poile do that?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Weber deal. That was one ugly poker game. And it looks like everybody loses.

Well, lets see if Weber is man enough to carry that contract. He better be.
It really wouldn't shock me if he demanded a trade as soon as that first year is up.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Dregor reporting on Twitter that Titan Sports will ask for a NTC or NMC. Am I out to lunch, I thought that once contracts are signed that no changes were allowed?

Secondly, why would Nashville agree to that now?

Wow, have no problem with the offer sheet or the match. But IMO that takes some nerve to then ask for a NTC now.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Dregor reporting on Twitter that Titan Sports will ask for a NTC or NMC. Am I out to lunch, I thought that once contracts are signed that no changes were allowed?

Secondly, why would Nashville agree to that now?

Wow, have no problem with the offer sheet or the match. But IMO that takes some nerve to then ask for a NTC now.
Friedman tweeting that the NHL (through the CBA) would agree with you. The offer sheet contract is the official contract he is now bound by and no changes (NMC/NTC) can be made.

Closed Thread