HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 03:03 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Yandle still available?

Old
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I'm not upset about offer sheets, nor do I question their legality. I'm simply pointing out that many GMs find them offending and those are the guys you have to work with.
And since they're all big boys, none of them get their panties in a twist over someone doing something that's allowed by the rules.

Old
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Hindsight....should we have gone after him as a ufa?
Who knows if another team would have gotten him to sign next offseason. Nashville was banking on another one year deal, then probably trade him for a kings ransom or resign him based on a huge deal with the new CBA (which would be light compared to what he just got).

With greater restrictions on salaries most likely coming, Philly was one of few teams willing to give him this massive deal. Next season, there would have been much more in terms of options of where he could sign.

Old
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
On the bright side, Nashville will be worse this year than they were last year and they get to pay $13 million today. **** those guys.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Mgkibbles

And now let's cut to a live shot of Philadelphia.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
hXc Chris

Yeah

Last edited by hXc Chris: 07-24-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Post doesnt make sense after all the edits.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
CdnFlyersFan

Great try by Holmgren. It really was a smart move that will have 0 impact on our ability to make trades and players in the future. This team really would have been completely different with Weber...adding the best D in the league has HUGE upside that is not found by adding a Yandle or Edler or Enstrom.

He wasnt prepared to mortgage our future by sending Couturier or Schenns and that is awesome!

Not getting Weber makes Bryzz finding his game and settling in VERY important....as we are still potent up front and an above average top 6 D core. Maybe not the best on paper...but still VERY competitive!

Old
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Which is funny, since their defense is in worse shape than ours.
Yes they sure as hell have no room to gloat with that defense. Oh well it would have been nice to land Weber and it's to bad they matched because he really would have liked to come here and play.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Yandle still available?
How, exactly, do you plan to get Yandle?

Some of you didn't want to part with Voracek or Read in a side trade to get Weber.

If we go trade, it will be Homer blowing his load on Bobby Ryan.

Other than that, I think we stand pat on the trade front.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

As for the financial burden, they wouldn't have matched if they couldn't.
Well we'll have to find out the financial details and how they accomplished it....just b/c they came up with the benjamins doesn't mean they are still not fiscally in the red. All they are doing is probably rolling over old debt with new debt in the hope that Weber and Rinne pull them out of their fiscal hole in the long run. That seems dubious considering the hole they are in but maybe they can sell to some private equity group in Quebec. Otherwise, they are house poor and will be foreclosed upon...call the Sheriff..you have a half hour to grab what you can and go on the streets...

Old
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Well, good news: this strikes me as a clear indication that Nashville's owners don't expect much of a lockout. I imagine their owners know something about the CBA negotiations. Hopefully I'm not dead wrong.

FlyersCup08

Not that I would ever want a lockout, but it would be funny if there was one now, and the Preds had to pony up $27M with no revenue...

Old
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
I've been saying it for a long time: the only player in the league (that we could realistically get) that I would trade Couturier for is Weber. I hope Couts isn't what stood in the way of us getting the best defenseman in the league.

Old
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
On the bright side, Nashville will be worse this year than they were last year and they get to pay $13 million today. **** those guys.
Im going to save this post for next march. Simply no facts to defend that statement.
Nashville is not done. Book it.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
Homer always gambles.

And it never pays off.

Weber signed the offer sheet with us because he wanted to be here. If we would've waited 1 more damn year, he could have been here. Hell, we might have even been able to offer 2 firsts and Voracek @ the deadline to acquire him if the Preds were out of the playoff hunt (a distinct possibility given the loss of Suter and the fact that they're in the West).

It was a fun 5 days and change, but this is a perfect microcosm of why we never win anything. Because Holmgren likes to gamble and he frequently loses.

I might consider this a minor victory of some sort of we saddled one of our rivals with a terrible contract or financial burden, but we didn't. We saddled a formerly good trade partner that plays in the West w/ a financial burden.

And we all but assured the fact that the Predators won't trade Weber to us down the line. And make no mistake about it... he could still be traded. The Preds would be able to trade him before they owe him that 2nd bonus. That means they could get away after only $14M. No big deal for the right return.
Not necessarily. Weber signed that sheet because it promised him a ****-ton of money for the rest of his career regardless of where he went. If the Predators matched he stayed put. If the Flyers matched it put him on a Cup contender...with a ****-ton of money. Win win.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that even though his agent said he wanted to play in Philly, he had no problem staying in Nashville.

Also I'll applaud Homer on this attempt. Considering Nashville supposedly wanted Couturier or Schenn, Homer did what I wanted him to do: Flipped them the bird and found another way to get Weber.

Also if Nashville still wanted to potentially trade with the Flyers after we ****ed them over with Forsberg, then I think they'll get over it.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Vandalay Industries

No, you are not a loser for having an opinion, but you lost the battle for Weber, right?

I just find it to be such a bad call by you and others in here to put any kind of blame on Nashville for simply excercising it's right.

It's simply bad taste, is what it is.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Well, good news: this strikes me as a clear indication that Nashville's owners don't expect much of a lockout. I imagine their owners know something about the CBA negotiations. Hopefully I'm not dead wrong.
Weber being a rep for the players. I think so.

Old
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

not surprised by the outcome. But so close.

Old
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyersFan View Post
Great try by Holmgren. It really was a smart move that will have 0 impact on our ability to make trades and players in the future. This team really would have been completely different with Weber...adding the best D in the league has HUGE upside that is not found by adding a Yandle or Edler or Enstrom.

He wasnt prepared to mortgage our future by sending Couturier or Schenns and that is awesome!
That is what I was concerned about to. He stuck to his guns and did not give in. Well done. Very good effort. Now it is time to move on.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-24-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Quote feature was incorrect
Old
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
MrWangz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
In 5 years they will be in Quebec City.
Oh you'd think it's that easy, but wait! There's a problem... If Quebec gets a hockey team, then Toronto will want one too!

Old
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
How, exactly, do you plan to get Yandle?

Some of you didn't want to part with Voracek or Read in a side trade to get Weber.

If we go trade, it will be Homer blowing his load on Bobby Ryan.

Other than that, I think we stand pat on the trade front.
Homer was willing to give up 4 1sts so obviously he has no problem dealing them. Not saying PHX will want futures, but its something to consider.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:12 PM
hotshot26

I really thought the Preds either wouldn't match or a trade would be worked out

Old
07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
And now let's cut to a live shot of Philadelphia.

Old
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
No, you are not a loser for having an opinion, but you lost the battle for Weber, right?

I just find it to be such a bad call by you and others in here to put any kind of blame on Nashville for simply excercising it's right.

It's simply bad taste, is what it is.
Just as it was a bad call for anyone to get mad at Philadelphia for extending the offer sheet.

We were just exercising our right as a franchise to sheet him. Everyone is just disappointed is didn't work out. No level headed person is going to have a vendetta or grudge against Nashville because of this.

Old
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
I dont see how some of you can have anger toward Nashville. They decided to match this contract which is well within their right. Good for them.

Closed Thread