HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
When looking at it objectively, if the Preds had not matched it would be the same as waiving a white flag to the rest of the NHL and leaving their fans with no sense of hope.

There really is not any circumstance that could present itself in which they would not match.

Homer really put it on them though. That was not an easy match by any account but they did it.

I applaud Homer for the effort.

Old
dats81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
Homer always gambles.

And it never pays off.

Weber signed the offer sheet with us because he wanted to be here. If we would've waited 1 more damn year, he could have been here. Hell, we might have even been able to offer 2 firsts and Voracek @ the deadline to acquire him if the Preds were out of the playoff hunt (a distinct possibility given the loss of Suter and the fact that they're in the West).

It was a fun 5 days and change, but this is a perfect microcosm of why we never win anything. Because Holmgren likes to gamble and he frequently loses.

I might consider this a minor victory of some sort of we saddled one of our rivals with a terrible contract or financial burden, but we didn't. We saddled a formerly good trade partner that plays in the West w/ a financial burden.

And we all but assured the fact that the Predators won't trade Weber to us down the line. And make no mistake about it... he could still be traded. The Preds would be able to trade him before they owe him that 2nd bonus. That means they could get away after only $14M. No big deal for the right return.
Pure speculation.

Apparently other organizations were considering OS as well - Vancouver being one.
Nash were asking for the moon via trade so Homer decided to throw them a curve ball and somehow it didn't pan out.

Old
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

No different than we were a week ago and most of us were happy going into the season. Don't think the Flyers are done, however. I think everyone in the league will ask for Couturier/Schenns in any future deals however, as Flyers are probably not in high regard around the league right now...

I hope they wait and grab Enstrom next summer. Good Timonen replacement. Stick with the young core and hope for the best. Weber would have pushed us into legitimate Cup hopefuls but now we can grow and surprise people. Happy to keep the 1st rounders too, especially for next year (deep draft).

Old
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Well, good news: this strikes me as a clear indication that Nashville's owners don't expect much of a lockout. I imagine their owners know something about the CBA negotiations. Hopefully I'm not dead wrong.
Trying to extract any bit of a silver lining from this, eh?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
FlyersCup08

Pekke Rinne is ecstatic right now.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:16 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo

Old
07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I dont see how some of you can have anger toward Nashville. They decided to match this contract which is well within their right. Good for them.
Exactly. The ******** comments are laughable. They weren't going to lose the best dman in the league for table scraps.

Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Im going to save this post for next march. Simply no facts to defend that statement.
Nashville is not done. Book it.
The fact that they lost a top 10 dman in the league and added nobody? Seriously though, I'm just trying to make myself feel better...

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Trying to extract any bit of a silver lining from this, eh?
If I scrape the bottom hard enough, I'm bound to dig through and hit some ore eventually.

kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Well, good news: this strikes me as a clear indication that Nashville's owners don't expect much of a lockout. I imagine their owners know something about the CBA negotiations. Hopefully I'm not dead wrong.
I really hope you're right because I'm flying on an exchange programme to USA next January and I planned on attending some games... Ironically I'll study in Atlanta so I'll have to travel somewhere anyway

Old
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyersFan View Post
Great try by Holmgren. It really was a smart move that will have 0 impact on our ability to make trades and players in the future. This team really would have been completely different with Weber...adding the best D in the league has HUGE upside that is not found by adding a Yandle or Edler or Enstrom.

He wasnt prepared to mortgage our future by sending Couturier or Schenns and that is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That is what I was concerned about to. He stuck to his guns and did not give in. Well done. Very good effort. Now it is time to move on.
LOL you folks seriously crack me up !! we have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what friggen Brayden and Luke Schenn are gonna be like for the rest of their careers , and if Homer didnt wanna part with one of these guys then bang!! ya lose out on a sure thing like Shea Weber cause of it , there is nothing and I repeat nothing positive about this at all . You guys act like these brothers are the be all do all for this franchise forever ... the love affair and obsession on this website for the Schenn's of the world is really mind boggling

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-24-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: The two quotes were mixed and in error.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
I really hope you're right because I'm flying on an exchange programme to USA next January and I planned on attending some games... Ironically I'll study in Atlanta so I'll have to travel somewhere anyway
Maybe your program will hit some financial troubles and get moved to Winnipeg?

Old
Jtown

vCash: 539
I hope Weber adds to drama and sits out a year. He still gets his bonus if he sits right? Just not salary?

Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Brian Burke.

And...who? Evidence?
Brian Burke has NO problems with offer sheets. He just likes it if he can made a hockey deal instead of offer sheeting a player.

He would have offer sheeted Kessel and even got the pick he needed back to offer sheet but that was just used as a threat if he wasn't traded.

When Penner was offer sheeted he did nothing to deserve the money he did and the Oilers never talked about discussing any trade. They just came out of no where and offer sheeted him.

Oilers were desperate..No one wanted to go there unless they were overpaid (Vanek offer sheet, Penner offer sheet, attempt to get Heatley to come etc).

Holmgren on the other hand had tried to trade for Weber but when he realized Schenn/Couturier etc have to be in a deal, he just said **** that and offer sheeted Weber..

Poile knew it was coming if he didn't lock Weber up.

Old
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Well, this sucks. I'm sure Homer has something else up his sleeve. He must have a Plan B.

Old
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Damn, I really believed in it... really sucks.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Maybe your program will hit some financial troubles and get moved to Winnipeg?
Or I'll simply run out of money in the middle of the Atlantic ocean

The Winnipeg plan could work out pretty well b/c Pavelec could be my designated driver

Old
Mgkibbles

Why'd Joni Pitkanen have to be so meh?

Old
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannoMeszarosRex View Post
Well, this sucks. I'm sure Homer has something else up his sleeve. He must have a Plan B.
This was Plan B (Parise and Suter was Plan A, apparently). We're about to find out if there's a Plan C.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Psuhockey

There is going to be at least one powerful owner against revenue sharing.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This was Plan B (Parise and Suter was Plan A, apparently). We're about to find out if there's a Plan C.
RoboKimmo.

Old
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
No different than we were a week ago and most of us were happy going into the season. Don't think the Flyers are done, however. I think everyone in the league will ask for Couturier/Schenns in any future deals however, as Flyers are probably not in high regard around the league right now...

I hope they wait and grab Enstrom next summer. Good Timonen replacement. Stick with the young core and hope for the best. Weber would have pushed us into legitimate Cup hopefuls but now we can grow and surprise people. Happy to keep the 1st rounders too, especially for next year (deep draft).
More than half of the league will be after Enström next summer and his agent will demand big bucks, that's for sure. They better prepare a plan B.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannoMeszarosRex View Post
Flyers are on Plan J.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Preds are stuck with Weber for a year. That means their on the hook for the $27MM next year. How long till the Preds declare bankruptcy and the league takes over is the only question

Old
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
It sucks we don't have Weber, but can anyone blame Nash for matching. Holmer made a caculated attempt to get one of the NHL's best players and it didn't happen. Much rather keep the kids then trade them away and have to pay Webers contract.

Closed Thread