HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
jarmoismyhero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Why would Nashville ever give Weber a NTC?
I wouldn't do it and only reason I could see Nashville doing to is to try and have him be a "happy" player for them. Still I would not even think about giving him one and I am not sure that they will. Let him demand a trade if he wants, tell him he can retire.

Old
Philly85
Moody'

good job Nashville

Old
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
At this point I don't know why they would

Old
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Dick move by Holmgren. I hope that Giroux gets an offer sheet next year, Holmgren is the worst gm in the league.
Little bitter that the Sharks GM doesn't have balls enough to do something like that. If Poile had did his job early last year then none of this would have taken place. Quite obviously Weber would have preferred to go to Philly but he knew full well that Nashville could match. Or maybe all he cared about was getting his money and didn't matter if it was Nashville or Philly, no one will know for sure. But hopefully now that he is signed with Nashville that he honours the contract and doesn't pull a Rick Nash and want out if Nashville doesn't remain a contender.

As a Flyer fan, I'm glad Holmgren took the chances, he has made some bad decisions in the past when it comes to signing players but this isn't one of those times. He tried to make the Flyers better by getting a franchise defenseman. As a fan that's all you can ask the GM of the team you cheer for does.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
You've just invested $110M, $27M over the next year in your FRANCHISE player, and now you're gonna get stingy?

If he was unhappy to begin with the matching, why match?

The NTC is just fluff at this point. If it will help keep him happy, you do it.

Old
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Just so you don't get snarked all over by any ******** (lol) Flyers fans (Unstable, looking at you, big guy!), that's not right.

The salary is divided by the term of the contract or 5, whichever is less.

So he'd be well over the 4 1sts threshold.

edit: too late

It's kind of funny that people stuck around for 12 threads for literally nothing happening, but what the hell, this is HFBoards.
Gotcha. Well in the end, as a Rangers fan this couldn't have worked out any better. Holmgren and Poile have greatly helped my team out

jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Little bitter that the Sharks GM doesn't have balls enough to do something like that. If Poile had did his job early last year then none of this would have taken place. Quite obviously Weber would have preferred to go to Philly but he knew full well that Nashville could match. Or maybe all he cared about was getting his money and didn't matter if it was Nashville or Philly, no one will know for sure. But hopefully now that he is signed with Nashville that he honours the contract and doesn't pull a Rick Nash and want out if Nashville doesn't remain a contender.

As a Flyer fan, I'm glad Holmgren took the chances, he has made some bad decisions in the past when it comes to signing players but this isn't one of those times. He tried to make the Flyers better by getting a franchise defenseman. As a fan that's all you can ask the GM of the team you cheer for does.
If Poile had done his job last year Weber would be a UFA in 2 years. Now he is a Pred for life.

Old
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Just so you don't get snarked all over by any ******** (lol) Flyers fans (Unstable, looking at you, big guy!), that's not right.

The salary is divided by the term of the contract or 5, whichever is less.

So he'd be well over the 4 1sts threshold.

edit: too late

It's kind of funny that people stuck around for 12 threads for literally nothing happening, but what the hell, this is HFBoards.
Sir! Ready and willing!

As for the zillion threads, every summer HFBoards sits around wishing someone would sign an offer sheet, so you can't really blame folks.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If im Nash i don't offer him any sort of nmc or ntc.
Same here.

No way he gets one, that would be dumb, he's bound to to screw them over.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Jtown

is it me or does Weber's agent sound like a man who sounds physically ill? This guy is maybe the least charismatic person of all time.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Awesome Nashville. Don't get pushed around. This is your best player in Franchise history. Smart, bold move keeping him. Whats the annual cap hit? Hopefully they can make some more big improvements.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Weber getting paid

Old
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Sir! Ready and willing!

As for the zillion threads, every summer HFBoards sits around wishing someone would sign an offer sheet, so you can't really blame folks.
Hey, you're good people, I'm just having fun.

I honestly never really researched RFA compensation, I just knew Weber's offer sheet would return 4 1sts to Nashville.

RFA offersheets over 5 years are a bit unheard of, anyway, only 2 in history I believe.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Why exactly am i mad? I just thought it was a good move by Holmgren. Poile needed to lock up Suter and Weber last year. He didnt and it cost him Suter and the organization 27 million dollars next year.
You could've just said that, but nope, you had to add in how they should fold because owners have the pockets to dish out 27 million to Weber.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
The ranger fan that mentioned the african kids all running around in Weber Flyer jerseys just screams phot shop,, Very well played

Old
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

There are people who are suggesting that the Preds should trade Weber after the year is up for a kings ransom...but at that point, they'd have paid huge bonuses, why not just keep him?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Here is the relevant section.
"Section 10.3

(b) If the Prior Club gives the Restricted Free Agent and his Certified Agent,
if any, notice, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, that it is exercising its Right of First
Refusal (a "First Refusal Exercise Notice"), such notice to be substantially in the form of
Exhibit 7 attached hereto, to the Player's and his Certified Agent's, if any, address or
facsimile number listed on the Offer Sheet, if any, within the seven (7) day period, such
Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding
agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in an SPC, containing: (i) all the
Principal Terms (subject to subsection (e) below); and (ii) such additional terms as may
be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club
. The Prior Club
may not Trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it
exercises its Right of First Refusal."
Interesting. I thought for sure that was the contract, no altering it from here on. There's due to be some confusion over that stipulation.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
LaPlante94

I bet you Holmgrem knew they'd match. Now Nashville has to pay him all that money for the 1st year then he'll come aggresively for him next year via trade. Gonna have to give up more then 1st round picks but do you think he cares. Weber is a special player and as a Leafs fan I'm against giving up Gardiner for anyone but if it was for Weber I wouldn't mind. But good on Nashville on matching though.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Richie10

I would just love to be in the room when Fehr heard about this. Two small market teams that have cried poor shelled out over 300 million dollars in contracts over the past month.

The BOG doesn't stand a chance here. Lockout, here we come.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Thank you very much Nashville. I don't care if Weber is pissed or not he took a risk and it didn't work.

If he went to free agency he could have went wherever he wanted. I'm just happy he stays out of that black and orange.

Psuhockey

Sadly, by matching the Predators probably increased the chance at a lock out. The Players association will say look at the contracts Minnesota and Nashville just signed after crying poor. They will push for more revenue sharing, Good luck convincing the Flyers to pony up more so that Nashville could match that contract and not go bankrupt.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Sir! Ready and willing!

Every year someone wants a team to sign a player to an offer sheet.. And then there is immediately outrage when that happens

Old
07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
I bet you Holmgrem knew they'd match. Now Nashville has to pay him all that money for the 1st year then he'll come aggresively for him next year via trade. Gonna have to give up more then 1st round picks but do you think he cares. Weber is a special player and as a Leafs fan I'm against giving up Gardiner for anyone but if it was for Weber I wouldn't mind. But good on Nashville on matching though.
This makes zero sense at all. So his plan was to make them pay more than they are comfortable with, pissing them off, to go after him next year after they already paid out 27 million to try and trade what they could of traded now. You have any idea how much Weber is going to be worth on a long deal after all the first year bonus is paid out. Sorry but you are completely out to lunch on this.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
There are people who are suggesting that the Preds should trade Weber after the year is up for a kings ransom...but at that point, they'd have paid huge bonuses, why not just keep him?
Exactly. Weber signed a contract that he knew would be a really tough decision for the Predators to match, but if they did then he has given them every possible financial incentive to keep him for the full contract.

As for the NTC talk, only a complete idiot would give him one. He knows he'll be stuck there for at least a year, he'll have gotten over not having a NTC by that point if he was really okay about staying in Nashville. Otherwise Nashville would only be handcuffing themselves if he starts crying trade. Considering that he just signed an offersheet designed to make you not match, and had an agent giving interviews saying he really wants to be in Philadelphia... why would anyone even consider it?

Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Outstanding...

Closed Thread