HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If there's a lockout, I hope the Predators lose so much money they have to fold and move to Quebec.
Why wish them that for taking a decision? We're all mad right now, but they haven't done anything wrong.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If there's a lockout, I hope the Predators lose so much money they have to fold and move to Quebec.
The flyers make the move to kill the Nordiques, and they make the move to bring them back... The circle of life everyone

Old
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
The Pens don't have Weber and the Flyers don't have Weber s both teams have defense issues. Only one of the GMs from those two teams has integrity and the respect of the other GM's. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out over time with future trades and considerations. I give the Flyers credit for trying to play "Walmart" with the little guy and take what you want, every team in the thinks about doing it to some extent I'm sure. I'm not sure how much these guys stick together though. Maybe Homer plans to hang it up soon and doesn't have to worry about his rep. Who knows? At least it gave me something, hockey related, to watch over the last few days.
There is no evidence to suggest every GM will avoid Homer. There's plenty to suggest they'll continue working with him as usual.

07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
The Pens don't have Weber and the Flyers don't have Weber s both teams have defense issues. Only one of the GMs from those two teams has integrity and the respect of the other GM's. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out over time with future trades and considerations. I give the Flyers credit for trying to play "Walmart" with the little guy and take what you want, every team in the thinks about doing it to some extent I'm sure. I'm not sure how much these guys stick together though. Maybe Homer plans to hang it up soon and doesn't have to worry about his rep. Who knows? At least it gave me something, hockey related, to watch over the last few days.
Right, because you personally know all the GMs and clearly have an idea what you're talking about. If anything, I think the GMs around the league respect Homer for having the balls to do whatever he thinks is necessary to improve his team, reactionary opinions be damned.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The flyers make the move to kill the Nordiques, and they make the move to bring them back... The circle of life everyone
That would be ironic.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Poile and the Preds ownership had every right to view this as the Flyers trying to push them around... because they were. The Flyers were clearly attempting to assert their considerable financial prowess under the auspices of an offer sheet.
If the ownership and Poile are ******** then they should go open up a flower shop or something. The Flyers exercised a business decision well within their right. Sure it was Walmart-esque as somebody put it but hey the business world always says they are amoral and that the business of business is about ..um well business.

What the Flyers and Comcast essentially did was engage in a hostile bid..it happens in the business world all the time.... Kraft did it to Cadbury.

Poile and the ownership decided to save face ..now let's see if they don't wind up with financial egg all over it. Good luck

Old
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
And here come the Preds fans to reprimand you.
As they should. Wishing bankruptcy and franchise relocation is pretty much as low as it gets.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
As Steve Yzerman said in August of 1991 when he was rumored to be part of a deal to the Nordiques "I will never accept to play in Quebec. No matter what happens, I wouldn't go. People won't like what I have to say but it is strictly a business decision."

Hockey is a business in addition to being a sport. Those with first-hand knowledge based on internal experiences of the proceedings have a differing interpretation of philosophies from others.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Right, because you personally know all the GMs in the league and clearly have an idea what you're talking about. If anything, I think the GMs around the league respect Homer for having the balls to do whatever he thinks is necessary to improve his team, reactionary opinions be damned.
I love how so many fans of other teams are bitter about the offer sheet. Players sign with teams that they used to be rivals with, coaches and execs work for other teams, the world keeps spinning.

Fans need to realize that the people actually connected to the game don't care about abstract concepts like "loyalty" and "integrity" nearly as much as we do. That's why Max Talbot and Jagr come play for the Flyers and spurn the Pens, and why players chase the payday over the hometown discount. GM's will trade with Holmgren or whoever the Flyers GM is because if they see an opportunity to make their team better, they will take it.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
jsmithy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlla12 View Post
Call their bluff (and we get him for a steal with other players still rostered) OR we dont't get a player that we as fans did not have in our targets 30 days ago. We're still high on the weber drug.
I guess Nashville called your bluff. And your little game cost you the chance to get Nash. Say what you want, but the Flyers came out losers here. They also put the last nail in the coffin of the kind of predatory offer like the one for Weber and they angered a lot of people. This little move is going to come back to bite the Flyers big time in the new CBA and its negotiations.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
I guess Nashville called your bluff. And your little game cost you the chance to get Nash. Say what you want, but the Flyers came out losers here. They also put the last nail in the coffin of the kind of predatory offer like the one for Weber and they angered a lot of people. This little move is going to come back to bite the Flyers big time in the new CBA and its negotiations.
We wouldn't have had Nash anyway.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:

I believe the majority of sane people here could care less if we inked Nash or not.

We wanted Weber, made a ballsy move to get him and lost.

Life will go own as we have tremendous amount of cash left.

Can't say the same for Nashville.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
MacFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Had Holmgren offered that Poile definitely would have taken it. I don't think he offered a package anywhere close to that good and rightfully so. That's why Poile matched with likely no hesitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I've been saying it for a long time: the only player in the league (that we could realistically get) that I would trade Couturier for is Weber. I hope Couts isn't what stood in the way of us getting the best defenseman in the league.
The thing that annoys me is that Homer didn't follow through more aggressively after the offer sheet to force a trade.

Not a trade for both couts and Schenn... And not some rip off dream package of everyone we think is expendable (although rangers seems to have managed that).N but a reasonable hockey trade somewhere in between.

To find a way to get a decline and trade pick deal done would have been the truly aggressive move... And based on the "one contact" we've heard... Sitting back for 7 days clearly wasn't enough.

This was the negotiating equivalent of "admiring our pass"...

The idea that Nash "had no leverage" is now clearly shown to be wishful thinking.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Not at all son. Nashville might have Weber but they may end up being in financial turmoil for the next several years. In addition to that, the Flyers were playing with house money so they are no worse off than when the season ended.

The Flyers have also offer sheeted before with no repercussions so why would that change now? It won't.

Old
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Homers next move give PK subban a front loaded bonus offer sheet..

Old
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Nope.....I'm quite certain it will hurt Nashville more than the Flyers down the line b/c we could always afford him and Nashville still can't. Again, it's like buying a house you can't afford even though the banks willingly give you the money to afford it. Eventually, Nashville will foreclose..not that I wish it necessarily but bad business decisions like this for a small market team like Nashville don't usually end well. Most likely they will have to move to Quebec anyway for the ownership to possibly come out even.

And again....hockey is a business....maybe those ten owners will learn a nice lesson from all of this and go into a much safer business ...

Old
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
i guess nashville called your bluff. And your little game cost you the chance to get nash. Say what you want, but the flyers came out losers here. They also put the last nail in the coffin of the kind of predatory offer like the one for weber and they angered a lot of people. This little move is going to come back to bite the flyers big time in the new cba and its negotiations.
oh noooooooooo

Old
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Montreal isn't Nashville, they don't care if it's front-loaded. They can match everything we offer unless it's simply a bad contract/overpayment, which would be bad for us.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:24 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Man are we screwed!!!!

Old
07-24-2012, 04:26 PM
El Emperor

If anything, we should all hope this works out for the Preds. If they go south quickly and in a panic move trade Weber in a couple years, it will most likey end badly for us.

Pens drafted two Dmen this season that could end up being good trade assets in a couple years.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:26 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
The Flyers sent an offer sheet to Kesler while Clarke was the GM, and we still haven't seen that wrath of fire. This did little to tarnish Homer's reputation.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Yeah because Montreal doesn't have the money to match...

Old
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Montreal isn't Nashville, they don't care if it's front-loaded. They can match everything we offer unless it's simply a bad contract/overpayment, which would be bad for us.
Well.. they did take Scott Gomez in a trade.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Yeah because Montreal doesn't have the money to match...
We could do it to force them into a slightly higher cap hit than they expected. It's only purpose: to mildly annoy.

I say let's do it

Old
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
flyershockey

This will make things interesting in for the CBA negotiations for sure. The small market teams can no longer cry wolf about handing out big contracts after we just watched two of them shell out 300 million to three players. I think we may be headed for a lockout as a result of the Suter/Weber/Parise contracts. Either way, good luck to Shea and the Predators, they're going to need it to remain in Nashville.

Closed Thread