HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
is it me or does Weber's agent sound like a man who sounds physically ill? This guy is maybe the least charismatic person of all time.
He probably is physically ill. Undoubtedly had $$$ signs in his eyes of endorsement deals in Philly, and the subsequent new business it would bring in for him.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Thank you very much Nashville. I don't care if Weber is pissed or not he took a risk and it didn't work.

If he went to free agency he could have went wherever he wanted. I'm just happy he stays out of that black and orange.
Yeah... It makes zero sense that Weber could be pissed. You are 100% right, if he waited 1 year for free agency he could have done whatever he pleased. If he was really banking on NSH not matching and truly doesn't want to go back he is the biggest fool on the planet.

And to us getting NASH and PHI not getting Weber.

07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
LaPlante94

Do you think Holmgrem cares who he has to give up. If the offer is good Poille would be stupid not to accept it just because of this offer sheet. Look how ridiculous Burke and Lowe looked during there feud after the Penner offer sheet.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Hawktopus

I'm extremely happy that Nashville matched and I'm hoping this ordeal brings to light issues that need to be addressed in the next CBA.

In their official statement, Nashville made a dig at "teams with deep pockets", offer sheets and contracts like these should cease to exist and I for one would be happy to see a limit to the amount of years that can be offered in a contract as well as bonuses.

I would also like to see that the compensation is reflected in consideration to the total amount of salary + bonuses offered in an offer sheet. 4 1st round picks is a lot to give up but it needs to be changed to reflect the absurd bonuses team can add on

For Shea Weber his cap hit will be around $7.8 Million but in actuality he is also receiving $68 Million in signing bonuses, I feel that should be included when compensation is considered. If it would mean the difference between giving up 4 first round picks or 6 first round picks some teams may reconsider offer sheets.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Guy Caballero

Why the hell would Nashville now volunteer to give him a NTC? Without one they can sell to the highest bidder after a year. With a NTC in place Nashville is over a barrel, as Weber gets to dictate terms of a trade.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I bet Weber's agent is pissed, but I doubt Weber is.

Old
jsmithy
Rookie User

The Broadstreet bullies never change. Snyder and his cronies will be bullies to the day they die. They invented goon hockey in the 70's and they still practice goon management to this day. They wouldn't even consider offering a Nashville fair trade because they thought that could bully the Preds into taking their crumbs. That's the Flyer mentality. Always has been and always has been. Well, this time, the bully got sand kicked him face. I can confidently say that I speak for the the vast majority of people in hockey, fans and managements, who feel like throwing a party.

Old
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Why the hell would Nashville now volunteer to give him a NTC? Without one they can sell to the highest bidder after a year. With one in place they're over a barrel as Weber gets to dictate terms of a trade.
Maybe because they respect that he made a decision based on what was best for him and his family, not to screw over Nashville.

Now he is there for his whole career and want him to be happy and have security.

Old
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Nope, he knew he was getting a lifetime contract whether it was with Philly or Nashville. Don't think he cares at all.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:06 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
I would just love to be in the room when Fehr heard about this. Two small market teams that have cried poor shelled out over 300 million dollars in contracts over the past month.

The BOG doesn't stand a chance here. Lockout, here we come.
Minnesota isn't a small market.

Old
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Sadly, by matching the Predators probably increased the chance at a lock out. The Players association will say look at the contracts Minnesota and Nashville just signed after crying poor. They will push for more revenue sharing, Good luck convincing the Flyers to pony up more so that Nashville could match that contract and not go bankrupt.
Don't act like the Flyers are victims here, the flyers took a gamble and it back fired. If they would of not offered anything Weber would of been a UFA next year, after likely signing another one year deal, and could of offered him the world then.

Instead your gm decided he wanted him now, and offered a 14 year deal which was matched. Now you will never see Weber and Black and Orange as your gm outsmarted himself!

Now lets get back to how things normally are......... Que the Weber to Toronto threads!

Old
SidTheKid8787

Here's some facts:

Weber isn't pissed. He just got paid large.
Shea knew the Preds would match
Shea will be a Pred for a long time.

Old
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
I don't think either care at this point. They both made bank.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Why the hell would Nashville now volunteer to give him a NTC? Without one they can sell to the highest bidder after a year. With a NTC in place Nashville is over a barrel, as Weber gets to dictate terms of a trade.
No way is there going to be a ntc.

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawktopus View Post
I'm extremely happy that Nashville matched and I'm hoping this ordeal brings to light issues that need to be addressed in the next CBA.

In their official statement, Nashville made a dig at "teams with deep pockets", offer sheets and contracts like these should cease to exist and I for one would be happy to see a limit to the amount of years that can be offered in a contract as well as bonuses.

I would also like to see that the compensation is reflected in consideration to the total amount of salary + bonuses offered in an offer sheet. 4 1st round picks is a lot to give up but it needs to be changed to reflect the absurd bonuses team can add on

For Shea Weber his cap hit will be around $7.8 Million but in actuality he is also receiving $68 Million in signing bonuses, I feel that should be included when compensation is considered. If it would mean the difference between giving up 4 first round picks or 6 first round picks some teams may reconsider offer sheets.
I disagree with these contracts ceasing to exist. You prevent teams from making mistakes and in doing so create even further parody. You would be punishing big markets. Its not their fault they can spend.

I do agree that compensation needs to be worked on to reflect bonuses. A contract like this should have taken the Flyers 1st and 2nds for the next 4 years.

Old
Jerzey Devil

Now they should trade his ass for more than Philly wanted to give up.

Old
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Sadly, by matching the Predators probably increased the chance at a lock out. The Players association will say look at the contracts Minnesota and Nashville just signed after crying poor. They will push for more revenue sharing, Good luck convincing the Flyers to pony up more so that Nashville could match that contract and not go bankrupt.
The Wild aren't crying poor..

Old
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
19Yzerman19

Let the whinning commence (sp?)

Good on NSH for not letting their guy go for peanuts

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Wow weber must be pissed
Why? He's getting $110M and signing the offer sheet indicated he didn't care if he got it from Nashville or Philadelphia.

This was all about lining Weber's pockets.

Old
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Here's some facts:

Weber isn't pissed. He just got paid large.
Shea knew the Preds would match
Shea will be a Pred for a long time.
The first two are assumptions.
The third is a prediction.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
No, the offer sheet is the contract, it can't be altered. Show me where it says that they can add a NTC/NMC.
I believe an offer sheet is an agreement to sign a contract. The player still has to sign an actual SPC.

Old
Petes2424

Quote:
Why would his agent be pissed? He just paid his own salary for a couple years...

Old
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post

hahahahahahaahah im so ****ing happy right now.

THANK YOU holmgrem, no seriously, thank you holmgrem for getting weber to sign a 14 yr deal.

Welcome back weber!

Old
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Fleury4ever

From ESPN:

"Weber hoped he would land in Philadelphia. Now, he will likely end his career in Nasvhille."

Can someone explain to me why this is being reported as fact? I have not seen a quote from Weber, or someone claim they spoke directly to him and he said such a thing.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
Get home from work to see this, very nice.

Happy to see Weber not go to Philly, but also happy to see him stay in Nashville. Would have sucked for their fans to see Suter and Weber both leave. Go Preds.

Closed Thread