HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
I would just love to be in the room when Fehr heard about this. Two small market teams that have cried poor shelled out over 300 million dollars in contracts over the past month.

The BOG doesn't stand a chance here. Lockout, here we come.
Donnie:

Old
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Let the whinning commence (sp?)

Good on NSH for not letting their guy go for peanuts
It is good that they kept their captain in a way, but they are also handcuffed by the financial choice they made to him. They will not be able to put a winner on the ice for a long time

Old
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
gordie

If I'm Anaheim GM Bob Murray and the Flyers call me asking what it would take to acquire Bobby Ryan do I say Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier are a good starting point?

Old
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
If I'm Anaheim GM Bob Murray and the Flyers call me asking what it would take to acquire Bobby Ryan do I
Dont see how that helps. They wanted a franchise defender. Theyre already stocked up front. Now if St Louis called and offered them Pietro, that might be a different story (but thats total fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Dick move by Holmgren. I hope that Giroux gets an offer sheet next year, Holmgren is the worst gm in the league.
Amen, I'd love to see Poile take a crack at all of them in Philly. Voracek, Read, Schenn, Simmonds, Coutourier. Just offer them all 4m a year for the laughs.

If Penner left a champion Ducks team to go to Edmonton when they looked hopeless, its not like players wouldnt chase the money to get out of the media-deathtrap that is Philly.

Oh, and a healthy at Holmgren.

Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
From ESPN:

"Weber hoped he would land in Philadelphia. Now, he will likely end his career in Nasvhille."

Can someone explain to me why this is being reported as fact? I have not seen a quote from Weber, or someone claim they spoke directly to him and he said such a thing.
His agent speaks for him and he said exactly that...

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
The Broadstreet bullies never change. Snyder and his cronies will be bullies to the day they die. They invented goon hockey in the 70's and they still practice goon management to this day. They wouldn't even consider offering a Nashville fair trade because they thought that could bully the Preds into taking their crumbs. That's the Flyer mentality. Always has been and always has been. Well, this time, the bully got sand kicked him face. I can confidently say that I speak for the the vast majority of people in hockey, fans and managements, who feel like throwing a party.
Maybe they will learn this year after they get steam rolled by the Rangers. Not only did they lose out on Weber via the offer sheet, the offer sheet pushed Slats to trade for Nash now that Weber (Sather was heavily pursuing Weber) was off the table.

They lost Jagr.

They lost out on Parise and Suter.

Who knows what the deal with Pronger is.

Bryzgalov is a question mark.

I dunno. I don't hate the Flyers (or Islanders) like many of my Rangers brethren do (only the Devils and the Pens), but I do think they will take a significant step back in the standings this year.

SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
The first two are assumptions.
The third is a prediction.
If you think Shea didn't know the preds would match any offer, thats the big assumption, sir.

Old
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
It is good that they kept their captain in a way, but they are also handcuffed by the financial choice they made to him. They will not be able to put a winner on the ice for a long time
We're still below the cap floor, thanks for playing though....

Old
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
If I'm Anaheim GM Bob Murray and the Flyers call me asking what it would take to acquire Bobby Ryan do I
Without a doubt you take the call, and know what you do...........

Tell them Shea Weber

Old
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
From ESPN:

"Weber hoped he would land in Philadelphia. Now, he will likely end his career in Nasvhille."

Can someone explain to me why this is being reported as fact? I have not seen a quote from Weber, or someone claim they spoke directly to him and he said such a thing.
You dont sign a severely front loaded offer sheet in the hopes that your small market team matches.

Old
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Why exactly am i mad? I just thought it was a good move by Holmgren. Poile needed to lock up Suter and Weber last year. He didnt and it cost him Suter and the organization 27 million dollars next year.
I dunno, I was asking you.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Eskimo44

Good for Nashville. I was pretty certain they would match, i have no idea why Weber would be so shocked. Philly made it difficult, but gave Nashville the longterm deal they wanted. Epic **** up by Holmgren, he should have waited a year. If Weber was so bullish on signing there, they would have had a terrific chance at getting him. He jumped the gun, big time. Although in saying that it's easier to respect a proactive ****up over a do nothing ****up.

Old
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I disagree with these contracts ceasing to exist. You prevent teams from making mistakes and in doing so create even further parody. You would be punishing big markets. Its not their fault they can spend.

I do agree that compensation needs to be worked on to reflect bonuses. A contract like this should have taken the Flyers 1st and 2nds for the next 4 years.
Thankfully at least 2/3 of the teams are small enough markets that they'd probably prefer not to have to deal with these type deals and the league is going after a max length of 5 years. It's virtually guaranteed that these type of deals are done in a new CBA. Maybe the PA can keep it at a length of 6 or 7 years rather than 5 but it'll still be short enough that front loading wont be a serious concern. Rich teams will still be able to hand out bigger contracts but they'll have to deal with the cap hit. No $7.5 cap hit when you're paying someone $14.

Old
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
If you think Shea didn't know the preds would match any offer, thats the big assumption, sir.
Source?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
You dont sign a severely front loaded offer sheet in the hopes that your small market team matches.
If you want out of Nashville that badly, you don't roll the dice like that. You wait 1 more year and hit the open market where he would likely be offered an even bigger contract.

Weber didn't care. It was a win win. He gets his money and an either way plays in a market where he wants to be.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
You don't sign an offer sheet unless you are ok with the idea of playing for either team.

Old
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Source?
Poile said it himself. You really think Shea and Poile don't speak on such matters?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Thankfully at least 2/3 of the teams are small enough markets that they'd probably prefer not to have to deal with these type deals and the league is going after a max length of 5 years. It's virtually guaranteed that these type of deals are done in a new CBA. Maybe the PA can keep it at a length of 6 or 7 years rather than 5 but it'll still be short enough that front loading wont be a serious concern. Rich teams will still be able to hand out bigger contracts but they'll have to deal with the cap hit. No $7.5 cap hit when you're paying someone $14.
I don't disagree with that. I think limiting contract length is stupid though.

Old
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Poile said from the beginning the owners would match any offersheet offered to Weber, "any" being a key word here.

So, it's not like Weber didn't know the team might match, they told him they would from the beginning.

Old
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
If you want out of Nashville that badly, you don't roll the dice like that. You wait 1 more year and hit the open market where he would likely be offered an even bigger contract.

Weber didn't care. It was a win win. He gets his money and an either way plays in a market where he wants to be.
Could also be a case of his agent getting greedy, wanting the commission now, and telling Weber, " Lets do this there is no way Nashville will match"

Old
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
His agent speaks for him and he said exactly that...
Link? I have not seen it myself.

Old
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Poile said it himself. You really think Shea and Poile don't speak on such matters?
So you don't have one.

It's just an assumption.

Old
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
Quote:
From ESPN:

He signed a contract that Philly thought Nashville wouldnt be able to match, its kind of obvious he did it with the intentions of getting out of Nashville. Your not going to sign a offer sheet with a team you will love to play with the rest of your life that will force them to pay you $26 million in the first year if there isnt even a season.

Old
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
wow, hats off

Old
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Holy cow, I didn't realize Giroux was an RFA next summer. That is gonna be really interesting...
A) He is not.

B) It would be "really interesting" only in the world where GMs of NHL teams would be HFBoards users who compete in only one thing: who can piss further.

Closed Thread