HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

vCash: 500
Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

OLD THREAD HERE: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The biggest thing is the Preds can't "get anything" for including this, as far as I know. They can't shave dollars or signing bonuses, so they stand to GAIN nothing from giving Weber's camp this, so it seems unlikely to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
A 14-year injury bug? They'll be fine. This gives them a lot of time to figure out what to do with Weber, even if he ends up being a jerk about it - and I'm not sure that he will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If he doesn't agree to a contract without a NTC does that void Nashville matching and leave him as a perpetual RFA?

If so I'm starting to understand the Weber camp's strategy here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Really like that Nashville is matching. Gives them control over the asset again and puts them in the driver's seat in terms of asking price. There's a pretty nice floor in terms of what they can ask for in return for Weber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I wouldnt be surprised to see Weber want out after a calendar year. Him and his agent have made it clear imo that they want to play elsewhere. I guess Nash thinks one year of overpaying for Weber is worth for a better return than just taking 4 1sts.

Nashville needs to pray Weber doesnt get hit with an injury bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Except what about the real possibility in the new CBA that there is a 5 or 7 year cap on contracts? This would have given him probably $50M more...I can't blame a guy for not wanting to leave that kind of money on the table..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace35 View Post
What he said!!

If Weber wanted absolute control of his future, he needed to be patient one more season.

See ya
Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, no idea why they would give him that. Just means that when Weber throws a fit and wants out he gets to give them a list of teams. It makes no sense what so ever. I can't believe that Weber even asked for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
If they do that I will question their sanity. In one year Weber would ask for a trade and they have basically hooped themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yes, the Rick Nash situation should give them alot of pause on the idea of the NTC/NMC.
Quote:
I was out to lunch. Craig Button tweets.

Article 10.3 (b) allows for additional terms as may be agreed upon between RFA & prior club. So Nashville & Weber could agree on NTC/NMC.

-------------

Not sure why the Predators would do so but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Teams would be lined up to get him. I really don't think the Preds had a choice, they had to match. The deal from Philly would of had to have been unreal, let's say...

Coutourier
B. Schenn
L. Schenn
1st Round Pick

Something like that. The bad thing for Shea is, this probably prevents the Preds from making any major improvements to the team over the next 4 years. They'll continue to be a solid team, playoff contender, anywhere from 4th to 10th in the West. I'm sure Weber wanted the deal to go through. He got his money, but he's never gonna win a cup in Nashville. The packages for him next summer are gonna be huge.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Does Weber need a NTC or could he just make it known that he only wants to go to PHI next summer? Would that scare teams away?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Does Weber need a NTC or could he just make it known that he only wants to go to PHI next summer? Would that scare teams away?
Well Weber can be a professional or he can be a baby. It is up to him, but he has to realize doing the later will hurt his reputation greatly.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well Weber can be a professional or he can be a baby. It is up to him, but he has to realize doing the later will hurt his reputation greatly.
Will he care is the question?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Almost every player of his stature has a NTC, if I were him I'd demand one. It's not all about boning the Preds, it is also about controlling where he ends up for the next 14 years of his life.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Almost every player of his stature has a NTC, if I were him I'd demand one. It's not all about boning the Preds, it is also about controlling where he ends up for the next 14 years of his life.
If he cares about that he shouldn't have signed the contract until Philly added a NTC

Old
07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Why should Nashville possibly agree to it at this juncture?

If he wanted one, why did he not get his agent to add it to the offer sheet?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
? I don't blame him for wanting one, but he didn't sign one.

When he entered the NHL he knew (as all players do) they don't have complete control over where they play. If he wants complete control over where he lives, he shouldn't have become a pro athlete.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Will he care is the question?
I agree, guess we will find out.

He has two choices.
1. just be a pro and play.
2. make a huge scene.

I am guessing he will do 1, but he might just opt for 2 yet.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Let him demand one I doubt it means anything that he wants one.

At this point him wanting a NTC is like him wanting to play for PHI during the 12-13 NHL campaign. If he wants he can by NHL13 and trade himself to PHI.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

When he entered the NHL he knew (as all players do) they don't have complete control over where they play. If he wants complete control over where he lives, he shouldn't have become a pro athlete.
He couldn't sign one, so at Weber.

Quote:
I agree, guess we will find out.

He has two choices.
1. just be a pro and play.
2. make a huge scene.

I am guessing he will do 1, but he might just opt for 2 yet.
He's kinda made a scene already.

Real curious to see what happens next. Does he come out and just say "i wanted to get my money before the new CBA"? If so who can blame him? Or does he come out and say "**** this noise"?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

If Nashville agreed to a NTC, I hope that he demands a trade next year.

If they are that stupid then they deserve what they get

Old
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
If Nashville agreed to a NTC, I hope that he demands a trade next year.

If they are that stupid then they deserve what they get
Maybe just maybe they give him a limited NTC. But I hope if they do it's just one that allows him to pick a handful of teams he doesn't want to go to. Even then I wouldn't give it.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Why should Nashville possibly agree to it at this juncture?

If he wanted one, why did he not get his agent to add it to the offer sheet?
I'm not 100% clear on this but apparently NTC's aren't attached to the offer sheets but can be negotiated afterwards. Presumably, if they don't give it to him and he disputes it, he isn't bound by the contract.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Except for most of his peers (league superstars) have control over where they live despite being pro athletes through NTCs.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Except for most of his peers (league superstars) have control over where they live despite being pro athletes through NTCs.
They didn't sign offer sheets that took that bonus away from them.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I'm not 100% clear on this but apparently NTC's aren't attached to the offer sheets but can be negotiated afterwards. Presumably, if they don't give it to him he isn't bound by the contract.
Oh well.

I would say sucks to be him but after getting that kind of money, I can't say I feel any sympathy.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
backhandsauce

any predictions from fellow hf posters on who the top 4 dman will be if we do infact aquire one?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
They didn't sign offer sheets that took that bonus away from them.
From what I'm reading on twitter the offer sheet didn't take the NTC away from him:

Craig ButtonVerified ‏@CraigJButton
Offer sheet contains only Principal Terms. Limited to term, salary, signing &/or reporting bonus in specific installments on specific dates.

Article 10.3 (b) allows for additional terms as may be agreed upon between RFA & prior club. So Nashville & Weber could agree on NTC/NMC.

If I'm Weber I don't agree to anything that doesn't have a NTC.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
joestevens29

Maybe it's time for a new type of NTC/NMC

Nash gives him one, but if he isn't playing at a 75 games played pace or 50 point pace then you don't get it. You also have to pick 15 teams.

Also if Kane signs deal Enstrom and Hainsey are on the market.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
From what I'm reading on twitter the offer sheet didn't take the NTC away from him:

Offer sheet contains only Principal Terms. Limited to term, salary, signing &/or reporting bonus in specific installments on specific dates.

If I'm Weber I don't agree to anything that doesn't have a NTC.
That's not how it reads. You can't get a NTC/NMC in an offer sheet. If the teams want to discuss one after the deal if official then so be it, but the NTC doesn't prevent the contract from being signed.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

I really think the whole NTC, NMC have got out of hand. Originally designed to protect players from being traded to teams, now used as hammer to basically be a UFA when demanding a trade.

Really don't like them.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
That's not how it reads. You can't get a NTC/NMC in an offer sheet. If the teams want to discuss one after the deal if official then so be it, but the NTC doesn't prevent the contract from being signed.
That's not how I read it and I don't think that is how Button wrote it.

From what he wrote: the offer sheet is limited to the bare bones of a contract and it is left to the team and the player to flesh out the rest of the contract after the process has been completed.

I can't imagine that the CBA allows for teams matching offer sheets to do an end run on aspects of the contract beyond term, salary, and singing bonuses.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I think all NTC should just include a list of 10 teams you WON'T go to and that list should never be able to changed unless in the case of a team moving.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
BowDangles

Is the general HF Oilers fan happy with the roster right now? Or are you guys with the general consensus that they need one more top 4 dman?

Closed Thread