HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coaching a team

Old
07-24-2012, 05:05 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Coaching a team

What can you guys tell me about it ?

Any tips, advice, sharing experiences, anything positive or helpful is welcome.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
What can you guys tell me about it ?

Any tips, advice, sharing experiences, anything positive or helpful is welcome.
What kind of team? Age? Ability level?

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
What kind of team? Age? Ability level?
Low level peewee.. But all advice is welcome. 10-13 is the age.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
rayau

Have you taken coaching certification courses? Or is there something more specific you're actually asking about?

rayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayau View Post
Have you taken coaching certification courses? Or is there something more specific you're actually asking about?
No, and just any tips I can get.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
rayau

The best tip is to go and get certified. There's lots to learn and you'll be much better equipped to coach.

rayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayau View Post
The best tip is to go and get certified. There's lots to learn and you'll be much better equipped to coach.
Its on top of my list. I need it to head coach, and I want to get it.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Steelhead16

Best tip I can give you is to come to practice with a plan. Do drills that keep the kids moving and mix it up. If you want to a skating drill, a passing drill, breakout, power play.....whatever, every practice, come into the season with 4 or 5 drills for all those and then mix them up to keep the kids engaged. Then come up with some sort of reward drill if your practice goes well. Ask the kids for input on that one so that they are invested in what's going on as well.

Good Luck!!!

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
The best skating drills are the ones where you don't do laps or something without pucks for a long period of time.

For example, i would argue that playing 3 vs. 3 in practice for 15 min will probably give you the same conditioning results as 15 min of skating drills.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
The best skating drills are the ones where you don't do laps or something without pucks for a long period of time.

For example, i would argue that playing 3 vs. 3 in practice for 15 min will probably give you the same conditioning results as 15 min of skating drills.
My main goal is to develop their skating, passing and puck skills, I feel shooting is for bantam.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Canadiens1958

Not Really

Quote:

Not really. Conditioning is not the objective. Playing 3 on 3, regardless of the time, players tend to play to their strengths.

Purely skating drills, properly organized, produce a situation where players cannot hide weaknesses so you get an excellent idea of what has to be worked on.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Phil Connors*

Kick a kid of the team the first practice. You have to establish dominance among these young minds.

Seriously though, have a set of drills they are used to for warm ups, but also mix it up(kinda sounds contradictory but at that age some drills take some time for them to get in the motion). Keep it fun for them. Doing small games such as 3 on 3 in one of the offensive zones(2 nets board to board) keeps them interested. Going to the coaching seminar they usually give out pamphlets/CD-Roms with plenty of drills and mini-games.

In the states, ice-time is precious, doing chalk-talk to explain drills and what will be done in practice will help save time while on the ice.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Canadiens1958

Skills

Quote:
My main goal is to develop their skating, passing and puck skills, I feel shooting is for bantam.
You cannot separate shooting from skating and puck skills.

As for coaching low level Pee Wee. Assuming this means single letter or house league.

Once you get the proper accreditation for your jurisdiction the local association should be able to bring you up to speed in terms of procedures, what to expect from the feeder levels to your level and what the expectations are for your team.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
You cannot separate shooting from skating and puck skills.

As for coaching low level Pee Wee. Assuming this means single letter or house league.

Once you get the proper accreditation for your jurisdiction the local association should be able to bring you up to speed in terms of procedures, what to expect from the feeder levels to your level and what the expectations are for your team.

Why not ?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Canadiens1958

Because

Quote:
Why not ?
Because the balance to shoot the puck properly, efficiently, accurately etc comes from the skating and the puck handling skills.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:20 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Because the balance to shoot the puck properly, efficiently, accurately etc comes from the skating and the puck handling skills.
So i should show them proper technique and then have them practice it properly ?

Old
07-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Canadiens1958

Appropriate

Quote:
So i should show them proper technique and then have them practice it properly ?
Appropriate shooting technique for their skating and puck handling skills.

Example would be the slap shot which is often poorly executed at that level because the player's skating - balance, weight transfer and distribution or puck positioning is weak.

Best approach is to build the required skills gradually progressing from the wrist, snap shot, back hand shot to the slap shot.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 07-25-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: wording
Old
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... theres a Coach in the amateur system in Minnesota (name escapes me, but he's a former pro & US Ntl Team Player) who handles kids of the same age. He starts with laps, then stops & starts, shots & dekes on the goalies, then just drops a coupla buckets of pucks on the ice & lets the kids have at er', have fun. They run the practice thereafter. No rhyme or reason to it whatsoever. Sometimes they'll just split the team in half and play shinny for a half an hour, having fun. Meanwhile, he'll go & work with the goalies, a defenceman or forward, whoever "asks" for for guidance, while all around, anarchy prevails.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not really. Conditioning is not the objective. Playing 3 on 3, regardless of the time, players tend to play to their strengths.

Purely skating drills, properly organized, produce a situation where players cannot hide weaknesses so you get an excellent idea of what has to be worked on.
Sorry i wasn't clear enough with my first comment. My bad.

I had many coaches who would start off practice with a 15 min bag skate.

I've also had a few others who would do 3 on 3 rather than bag skating.

IMO, doing endless laps around the rink is 15 min of wasted time. At least with 3 on 3 i get my conditioning while trying to execute all the skills that one would need during a game.

Technical skating drills are very important, i should have separated the two

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Appropriate shooting technique for their skating and puck handling skills.

Example would be the slap shot which is often poorly executed at that level because the player's skating - balance, weight transfer and distribution or puck positioning is weak.

Best approach is to build the required skills gradually progressing from the wrist, snap shot, back hand shot to the slap shot.
I will probably be coaching peewee C or B... Hence why I intend to stick to basic skating and puck skills..

I do however intend to give them 1 thing to work on over then course of the year, and have them work on it on their own if they choose to. Say it's shooting, or aiming, or stickhandling.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Canadiens1958

Level

Quote:
Sorry i wasn't clear enough with my first comment. My bad.

I had many coaches who would start off practice with a 15 min bag skate.

I've also had a few others who would do 3 on 3 rather than bag skating.

IMO, doing endless laps around the rink is 15 min of wasted time. At least with 3 on 3 i get my conditioning while trying to execute all the skills that one would need during a game.

Technical skating drills are very important, i should have separated the two
Depending on the level(age group/skill) this is usually a waste of time or weak attempt at punishment.

What is overlooked is that practice is not only an opportunity for the kids to learn and improve but also an opportunity for the coaches to do likewise especially in the context of their team.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 07-25-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Canadiens1958

Background

Quote:
I will probably be coaching peewee C or B... Hence why I intend to stick to basic skating and puck skills..

I do however intend to give them 1 thing to work on over then course of the year, and have them work on it on their own if they choose to. Say it's shooting, or aiming, or stickhandling.
You have to allow for multiple alternatives.

The kids at the Pee Wee B or C levels have various backgrounds. Some started with the association in MAHG while others are playing for the first time. Also you have to adapt for first and second year Pee Wees. Then you have to consider the abilities and skill sets of your assistant coaches.

At the B or C level all the kids have multiple parts to their game that need improvement. The key to success is showing the various better alternatives and then building on and around that initial improvement. This rewards the player and the coaches while sustaining enthusiasm that generates more improvement.

Similar to teaching. Telling a class of weak students that they can raise their marks from 30% to 75% is empty and gets laughed at because it does not seem realistic.

Asking them to be 1/2 - 1 % better each class is realistic yet it allows for bumps in the road. Over a 160 school days the results are much greater.

Likewise hockey. Give the kids the greatest number of opportunities for small achievements and let it come together to form one bigger success at the end of the season.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:07 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
You have to allow for multiple alternatives.

The kids at the Pee Wee B or C levels have various backgrounds. Some started with the association in MAHG while others are playing for the first time. Also you have to adapt for first and second year Pee Wees. Then you have to consider the abilities and skill sets of your assistant coaches.

At the B or C level all the kids have multiple parts to their game that need improvement. The key to success is showing the various better alternatives and then building on and around that initial improvement. This rewards the player and the coaches while sustaining enthusiasm that generates more improvement.

Similar to teaching. Telling a class of weak students that they can raise their marks from 30% to 75% is empty and gets laughed at because it does not seem realistic.

Asking them to be 1/2 - 1 % better each class is realistic yet it allows for bumps in the road. Over a 160 school days the results are much greater.

Likewise hockey. Give the kids the greatest number of opportunities for small achievements and let it come together to form one bigger success at the end of the season.
So I should improve what already there ?

Old
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
fryer98

I helped coach a low level Pee Wee team for 2 years. One thing I haven't seen talked about above is not get frustrated with some kids not listening or caring. Some of them are there because their parents are making them play and they could care less about getting better. They would rather talk about videos games (or whatever 11-12 year olds talk about) on the bench and before/after games.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Canadiens1958

Yes

Quote:
So I should improve what already there ?
Yes, since the players have an expectation of moving to the next Pee Wee level and Bantam.