HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Game: vs Oakland |Tue Jul 24 @ 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | B. Cecil vs T. Blackley

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:47 PM
TootooTrain
-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I wonder what kind of reception Snider gets at tonights game.
Better than average I'd say. I don't think he's really that well known in the eye of the casual fan. I'm sure there will be a contingent of aggressive cheers though.

Old
07-24-2012, 04:48 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I wonder what kind of reception Snider gets at tonights game.
I'd love to hear a lot of cheering for him when he comes to bat.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I asked about this business earlier, but I'll ask again. What do the advanced stats say about Arencibia's defense? From what I can make out, he's doing okay, but I find the stats hard to decipher. So, can you explain? Is there statistical evidence that he's currently bad defensively?
So far this year, advanced stats pretty much say he's a bit above average.

There aren't many defensive statistics for catcher, and the fielder rating on fangraphs is done much differently for catchers than position players, as for position players fangraphs uses UZR, and UZR is not calculated for catchers. As a result, fangraphs uses catcher defense rating to base a catchers defensive contributions. To get this rating, you add rSB (stolen base runs) with RPP (passed ball runs) together. This gives you the catchers defensive contribution in the WAR calculation, and shows up as the fielders rating (Fld) on fangraphs.

The problem is, is that J.P. was so bad last year that many people are hesitant to call him an average defensive catcher. As a result, many still classify him as putrid (I was guilty of that to start this year due to the small sample size), but in reality he's been above-average. Now, saying that, it's hard to consider him a slightly above-average defensive catcher, as most scouts and Sabre-metrics junkies like to get a pool of data before inferring from it. Some could claim that he's benefiting from a small-ish sample size, or that it's temporary inflation.

Personally, I think J.P. has improved, but I wouldn't call him above-average just yet. I would consider him an average, maybe slightly below, catcher on the defensive side of the plate. Another year of this type of performance (statistically), and I wouldn't have a problem considering J.P. a bit above average defensively.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM
91Kadri91

Sorry about that.

I read some more posts and realized that the topics had already been covered. My mistake.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

we're over 1000 posts, so I started a new GDT, but for some reason I'm not seeing it on the thread list.

You can find the thread here though:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=52919999

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread