HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part IV (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Old
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pretty much. Speaking of tavares, really hope NYI gets competitive soon. Hate to have such a talent go to waste.
Supposedly Visnovsky is trying to void his trade to the Islanders. I feel awful for Tavares, not even third rate veterans are willing to play there.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
the

Koivu was amazing when he had world class talent around him. The Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev was a crazy line, I wish we could have seen more of that line.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Koivu_habs#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Koivu was amazing when he had world class talent around him. The Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev was a crazy line, I wish we could have seen more of that line.
Speak of Koivu...http://www.985sports.ca/divers/nouve...pi-159856.html

He walked with the olympic torch yesterday in London...

Koivu_habs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I would have loved to see Koivu get a talented winger like Selanne to play with in Montreal

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Koivu is God.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund View Post
I would have loved to see Koivu get a talented winger like Selanne to play with in Montreal
Recchi was pretty decent.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Recchi was pretty decent.
Indeed. Exactly how much did Recchi play on Koivu's wing again, though?

Surely you don't see Damphousse walking down the street and yell "Hey Saku!!" by mistake...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Indeed. Exactly how much did Recchi play on Koivu's wing again, though?
Enough so that people don't have to wonder what Koivu would be like with a legit 1st liner on his wing.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund View Post
I would have loved him having a power forward on his wing, that should have happened. Embarrasing that Koivu was usually the guy on his line fighting the big D-men for the puck.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Enough so that people don't have to wonder what Koivu would be like with a legit 1st liner on his wing.
How? Recchi was a 1st liner on the Habs for half a season before Koivu even broke the NHL squad, and even then they didn't play with each other (lower in the depth chart than both Turgeon and Damphousse, obviously). Then Saku has two years battling a wide variety of leg injuries, and then they finally get to spend some "real" time together the year Damphousse is moved and Koivu named captain, but... Recchi gets traded to the Flyers at the deadline. I'm pretty sure that's how it played out (in a nutshell).

I really don't understand where we even got a good look at this one possible example.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
How? Recchi was a 1st liner on the Habs for half a season before Koivu even broke the NHL squad, and even then they didn't play with each other (lower in the depth chart than both Turgeon and Damphousse, obviously). Then Saku has two years battling a wide variety of leg injuries, and then they finally get to spend some "real" time together the year Damphousse is moved and Koivu named captain, but... Recchi gets traded to the Flyers at the deadline. I'm pretty sure that's how it played out (in a nutshell).

I really don't understand where we even got a good look at this one possible example.
97-98, Corson-Koivu-Recchi line . . . Koivu may have battled injuries, but he still played 69 games.

Rucinsky and Savage were Damphousse's linemates.

And in 96-97, Recchi played a healthy chunk next to Koivu, too.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
97-98, Corson-Koivu-Recchi line . . . Koivu may have battled injuries, but he still played 69 games.

Rucinsky and Savage were Damphousse's linemates.

And in 96-97, Recchi played a healthy chunk next to Koivu, too.
I'm not prepared to give you Corson as a "first liner" (even in '97/98), just sayin'.

Going back to '96/97, I remember Koivu and Recchi starting out on the powerplay together, and I know Savage figured into a lot of their ES scoring lines together. I wouldn't argue against a claim that those three played most of that season together (well... of Koivu's 50 games), because I remember pretty much the same. So you get Savage and Corson as the other winger on those top lines during those years (I wanna say V. Bure replaced Recchi on their PP line at some point, though). If I mention the insertion of Moen onto our top line(s) occasionally, I think the example sufficiently illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

Recchi is possibly the best example out there. Problem is, he's the best example by far, and a secondary player (so far below a "star", imo) who benefits from longevity and compiling as much as anything w.r.t. comparisons with their pears. And due to the nature of the era, the Habs were constantly throwing relatively unskilled size out there on a line with them. Hence my suggesting that we never really got a chance to see what Koivu could have been capable of with the Habs on a good line.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Mike8

Quote:
I'm not prepared to give you Corson as a "first liner" (even in '97/98), just sayin'.
Er, well, that's fine, but it's a fact that Corson played with Koivu and Recchi as the top line. That's how Corson had a strong season and made Team Canada in '98.

I'm not even sure why this is a discussion, to be honest.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Er, well, that's fine, but it's a fact that Corson played with Koivu and Recchi as the top line. That's how Corson had a strong season and made Team Canada in '98.

I'm not even sure why this is a discussion, to be honest.
I guess because you half compared Recchi to Selanne when replying to Granlund's post, and I stretched that into imagining if Koivu actually played with more than one winger at least as good as Recchi (who I consider to be a couple of steps below Selanne, so not really "demonstrative" Koivu playing with what I might consider "real" top talent). Obviously I think Corson is even farther (than Recchi...much, much farther) from qualifying as a "top player".

Old
08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Muminek

Not sure if it`s the right thread, but J. Beliveau celebrated his 81. birthday today.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
the

Alexei Kovalev gets 3 points

Jaroslav Halak gets a shutout

Saku Koivu end the game with 2 assist

Sheldon Souray gets 1 goal on pp and 1 assist

Sergei Kostitsyn receive the first star of the game with 2 points

A lot of other players got points too. Good start for many former Habs!

the is offline   Reply With Quote