HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the flyers do next???

Old
07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Is it sad that Hainsey has played 544 games in the NHL and I have never heard of him?
He scored an OT goal against the Flyers for Atlanta a year or two ago. Enstrom scored late in regulation that same game.

For informational purposes, his Hockey News bio:

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2135

Quote:
ASSETS: Has excellent mobility, size and reach. Can play on either side of the ice. Displays some offensive ability. Is capable of logging a ton of minutes if required.

FLAWS: Is far too soft for his big frame. Can go through rough stretches in all elements of the game over the course of the season. Is also somewhat brittle.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent defenseman with a great skill-set.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-24-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Enstrom's goal didn't tie the score, got ATL within one.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Brozgalov

vCash: 500
I still think we have to try and accomplish the following...

1) Sign Voracek
After this whole Weber standoff, I am actually quite happy that Voracek is indeed still on the team. Obviously things can change quickly, but he is a huge asset to this team moving forward. I need to at least see Harnell/Giroux/Voracek for an entire season before I want to even think about moving him.

2) Attempt trade for Yandle
Obviously the best option for defense was Weber... well I think it's safe to say he will never be wearing a Flyers uniform, so where else can we look. I haven't seen much of Yandle but have heard great things. Is he Shea Weber? Hell no! However, he seems to be more of an offensive defensemen, which actually might fit better in our current system.

Assuming Yandle Trade doesn't work or somehow we have enough assets to do this as well...
3) Attempt trade for Bobby Ryan
To me the Flyers are creating even more of a destination place for players to sign. With the brothers Schenn, Giroux etc, Bobby Ryan would be another great addition to the team. I'm not convinced we are willing to pay what it would take however... If this were to happen, I think you'd see multiple players take discounts to stay on this team. B. Schenn/L. Schenn(because they are close apparently, and probably wont get another chance to stay on the same team), Ryan (hometown hero), and most likely Giroux.

4) PATIENCE
After not having to commit to Parise/Suter/Weber this offseason, we have space. If Timonen is gone, that is even more space. I think the loss of Carle is both underrated and overrated. Yes he brought something to our team, but he wasn't great in the role that he brought. Look at a guy like Gustafsson to step into that role (obviously not top pairing). Luke Schenn was once regarded as a franchise defensemen... someone who could be groomed into a #1. He has had glimpses of greatness and bad. I would like to think the fresh start and being with his brother brings out the best in him. He could be that mean Pronger/Weber type guy that we are looking for. Will he ever be Pronger or Weber? Probably not, but there is a chance he gets close.

Then you move onto our offense... a new year for Giroux after the spectacular season he had. He proved to all of us and the league that he is elite, but also to himself. He will not stop working to be the best and we could either see an identical year or a better one. He will most likely be with Voracek, and the two of them could be extremely dynamic! Brayden Schenn is getting another start injury free and he knows he now has a spot on the roster. The boost of his brother being in town is HUGE imo, and he should be a force this year. I don't remember where I saw it, but Couturier is very serious about bulking up and getting better for the upcoming season. I believe he will take an even bigger step as the 3rd center (probably moving to #2 at points during the season due to injuries) and him playing with better linemates will have him produce big time.

Last point... I strongly believe Lavy will be putting a bigger emphasis on defense this season. We will see the same system, but I think he will hold the D accountable more often. Look for L. Schenn to start in the 3rd pairing and end up on the top with Coburn by the end of the season.

I expect big things from this group, without Weber.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Make sure their forwards learn how to play D.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
There would be a lot of "hoping" with this defense. Timonen is notably getting slower. Coburn always does well in playoffs and everybody in the offseason says "its Coburns time for a beast season". Ill believe it when it happens. Grossmann is a solid top 4 guy who looked good before he was hurt. There are reasons he had problems in Dallas though. Meszaros was hurt all last year but he was good the year before. He is also just a #3-4 defender. Schenn had one good season out of 4. There is little evidence he will turn it around THIS season, but there is a chance. Gervias has always been a #6, while we have MAB who still is having concussion problems and Gus (who I like) but is still unknown (and Manning).

Thats what this defense is. All chance. Sadly Weber would have solidified the defense. Now that he isnt a Flyer, I do hope they take a look at #1 defenders out there such as Enstrom.People looked at our defense last season and said how bad it was. Now we have closely to the same exact defense that we were complaining with near the allstar break.
I don't know why people say that Schenn has only had one good year since coming into the NHL. He's had two real solid seasons (his rookie year and his third year), a so so season (his second) and then last year (when Wilson threw him under a bus). I'm not worried about Schenn at all. As for Meszaros, he's 100% after his surgery and is in great shape and ready to go. Same with Coburn and Grossmann's knees are coming along just fine. If Timonen's back is fine (and all reports indicate it is), then that's a solid five man group.

Honestly, I don't think the defense group is bad at all. I think Laviolette tried to use a system last year that the personnel didn't fit and I think the game plan will be significantly different this year. Things are going to tighten up simply because of the group that's here. I still believe that before anything happens, the Flyers need to give this group a chance to see what happens. Right now, the Flyers are sitting pretty in terms of money, draft picks and all at their disposal. Rather than panic right now, I still think the smart move is to wait.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:53 PM
RoDu

stand pat, retain picks, prospects

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
stand pat, retain picks, prospects
Yes, please.

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
boxcar65

I agree. Our D will be fine. Gus and MAB(if healthy)can fit the number 6 spot. I am actually excited to see what Manning will bring to the table this year. His upside could be better than both Gus and Bourdon, because he has some offensive skill and plays with a bit of an edge. He is kind of like a combo of those two. I like the fact he is staying in Philly the rest of the summer to work on his skills and conditioning. I would love to see him be the surprise of preseason.

boxcar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:26 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Can't believe I'm seeing Huselius' name thrown around. Dude couldn't stay healthy and get any minutes on Columbus, he won't find any here. His NHL career is likely nearing it's end. Someone will give him a tryout.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar65 View Post
I agree. Our D will be fine. Gus and MAB(if healthy)can fit the number 6 spot. I am actually excited to see what Manning will bring to the table this year. His upside could be better than both Gus and Bourdon, because he has some offensive skill and plays with a bit of an edge. He is kind of like a combo of those two. I like the fact he is staying in Philly the rest of the summer to work on his skills and conditioning. I would love to see him be the surprise of preseason.
Yea I mean we played great when most everyone as healthy at Grossmann was added in march.

This year everyone is healthy, we add mez and schenn, and we lose carle. I'm not sure we really need to any one besides doan or semin just cause we have the cash.

I know LA has Dougherty but they had a great D with guys that are worse than most of our guys.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Icedog2735

What would be your list of top 3 defensemen we should go for? Trying to take into consideration actually getting the players, i.e. players that will become FAs in the next 1 or 2 years, are UFAs now, or are on teams that might be willing to deal.

1. Enstrom
2. Hjalmarsson
3. Bouwmeester

Tougher to make a list then I thought when trying to find players that would help our blue line.

Icedog2735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
What would be your list of top 3 defensemen we should go for? Trying to take into consideration actually getting the players, i.e. players that will become FAs in the next 1 or 2 years, are UFAs now, or are on teams that might be willing to deal.

1. Enstrom
2. Hjalmarsson
3. Bouwmeester

Tougher to make a list then I thought when trying to find players that would help our blue line.
If thats the list then i'm only accepting the first option. JBo's an underachieving nightmare with an overachieving contract.

Now that I had my taste of the Weber fantasy Hjalmarsson just isnt what i'm looking for.

For me its Enstrom, Yandle, or nothing.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
If thats the list then i'm only accepting the first option. JBo's an underachieving nightmare with an overachieving contract.

Now that I had my taste of the Weber fantasy Hjalmarsson just isnt what i'm looking for.

For me its Enstrom, Yandle, or nothing.
The only reason JBo is attractive to me is is a definite top 2 defenseman that plays big minutes and will come reasonably cheaply.

Enstrom will cost more, but is reasonable.

Yandle isn't the kind of defenseman we need (defensively), but would be a tremendous PP QB. He, however, costs us a lot more than we initially offered for Weber.

For me, I have to seriously considering making a move involving a young, potential number 1 in early development (think Gormley). Would Phoenix consider Read and a second for Gormley? Who knows, but that's our best bet for acquiring a defenseman that fits our longer term rebuild.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:17 PM
FlyerFire

Im really glad we didnt give in to Nashville. I would have loved Weber here no doubt, but am perfectly fine as is. Tweaking etc. Perhaps find a budding defensive star that someone has an abundance of, but perhaps homegrown surprises await

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:18 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The only reason JBo is attractive to me is is a definite top 2 defenseman that plays big minutes and will come reasonably cheaply.

Yandle isn't the kind of defenseman we need (defensively), but would be a tremendous PP QB. He, however, costs us a lot more than we initially offered for Weber.

For me, I have to seriously considering making a move involving a young, potential number 1 in early development (think Gormley). Would Phoenix consider Read and a second for Gormley? Who knows, but that's our best bet for acquiring a defenseman that fits our longer term rebuild.
All of this talk about defense makes me think just how perfect of a fit Weber was for the Flyers...damnit every other option is just disappointing.

If Jbo comes cheap then I guess I can eat that ridiculous contract for 2 years but if he's resigning its going to be at half that price tag.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
djlethal08

Quote:

I agree with this. But instead of Gormley, I'd go talk to Colorado about Duncan Siemens.

djlethal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
All of this talk about defense makes me think just how perfect of a fit Weber was for the Flyers...damnit every other option is just disappointing.

If Jbo comes cheap then I guess I can eat that ridiculous contract for 2 years but if he's resigning its going to be at half that price tag.
Yeah, every time I see any combination of Nashville and matches a little piece of me dies inside. So disappointing. Despite making every effort to not get sucked in.

We're not that far from being a Cup contender imo. A player like Doan is a boost. A JBo/Enstrom/etc without killing or core would go a long way as well.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Im really glad we didnt give in to Nashville. I would have loved Weber here no doubt, but am perfectly fine as is. Tweaking etc. Perhaps find a budding defensive star that someone has an abundance of, but perhaps homegrown surprises await
This is it. You can't miss what you never had. Credit to Holmgren for trying. A tweak like signing Arnott makes sense. Time to weed our own garden and take care of our own stars with long term contracts. The team as constructed will make the POs. Wait until spring when some teams are out of it and get what you need then.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
Yeah, every time I see any combination of Nashville and matches a little piece of me dies inside. So disappointing. Despite making every effort to not get sucked in.

We're not that far from being a Cup contender imo. A player like Doan is a boost. A JBo/Enstrom/etc without killing or core would go a long way as well.
Maybe we can get lucky at the deadline and steal JJohnson from Columbus? They seem to be gifting players lately.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:47 PM
FlyerFire

I would love Ryan here as well but not willing to give up all we acquired to get him. Hes a star, hes got stats, hes from Cherry Hill, hes friends with the Clarke's yada yada.Still Im fine without the "need" for another star. We have plenty of stars here imo. I like the idea of the Schenn's and Coots and G. I love Read as well.Hes money in shootouts I think. Simmonds , Hartnell, Briere. Nashville can try and stay afloat with that contract. We will see

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Brozgalov

I'm sure it's all just crap, but if you search Yandle on Twitter, people are saying Flyers offered Read/Mez/1st for Yandle. Someone also said they are close to a deal, but again I am sure it's crap.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
flyersfromquebec

We really have something going with LH def...yandle would be another one.(Weber was really a good fit lol...too bad)

If its really read, mez, a 1st....I think we must keep read...Ill put another 1st and a prospect ahl'er

flyersfromquebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I'm sure it's all just crap, but if you search Yandle on Twitter, people are saying Flyers offered Read/Mez/1st for Yandle. Someone also said they are close to a deal, but again I am sure it's crap.
They also said they contacted Calgary about interest in JBo.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Sign Doan, look into Mark Stuart since WPG is supposedly shopping guys after Kane gets signed, and pack it in for the summer.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What would be the price?

Considering he is 36 now, I doubt Holmgren would give up huge assets for him
While 36, he's still playing at a high level. The Sharks are looking for a top six winger with speed, picks/prospects.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
deftones1986

What the Flyers do is what the organization views as the next best moves for this year.

What us Flyers FANS do is switch over to the Eagles to try and ease the pain of not getting Weber.

That's what I'm gonna do.

The beauty of a huge 4 sport market city!

deftones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote