HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Senators buyout Bobby Butler

Old
07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
God Says No

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
If the Sens do buy out Butler, a bigger move is coming. It has to be.
that's the only reason i can think of to buy out butler. which would be a shame, as i think he could have a nice bounce back season.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Don't see the point of buying out Butler. Kid still has a lot of potential IMO and could bounce back.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Seems unclear if we can or can't... either way, I don't see the point... Butler could rebound... Did he not have an early injury in training camp? Might have set him back a bit... I'd give him another shot this camp and see what happens... worse comes to worst, I'm sure he'd get picked up on waivers by someone in October

We seem to have 2 contract spots left... who else are we going to use them on? If it's a contract issue, why not buy out Condra? Butler could yet be a decent goal scoring 2nd/3rd line winger, but as much as I like Condra, he seems thoroughly replaceable.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
If the Sens do buy out Butler, a bigger move is coming. It has to be.
why? we have enough forwards without him, and we have to get rid of his contract if we want to sign dacosta. buying out butler in no way means something "big" is coming.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
why? we have enough forwards without him, and we have to get rid of his contract if we want to sign dacosta. buying out butler in no way means something "big" is coming.
As I've mentioned the last couple times you've said this, the Sens only have 48 contracts under the limit. Noesen and Puempel's deals don't count unless they play 10 NHL games because of the ELC slide rule. They are both almost assuredly going back to Junior so they won't count. In fact, Zibanejad also falls under this category but I think you should include him in the count because he has a half decent chance of playing 10 NHL games this year.

Once the Sens sign DaCosta, then they'll be at 49 contracts so they won't have to make any additional moves if they don't want to.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sens buy out Butler, it would be a decent thing to do by Murray if he is not in their plans. That gives Butler the rest of the summer to find another job with another organization & it saves Ottawa a little money & a contract.

This way the Sens should have 13 forwards to start the yr & Zibanejad & Stone will most likely start the yr in Bingo. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris, Latendresse, Greening, Z. Smith, Neil, Regin, Condra, JOB & Daugavins should all start the yr in Ottawa next season. Silfverberg IMO should be the one rookie forward to make the team out of TC & IMO Daugavins will be the 13 forward in the press box to start the yr.

I also think that Boroweicki LD could make the team out of training camp but could also end up going back & forth from Bingo to Ottawa all yr.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
kolider

We should do a full blown analysis of our contract limits before deciding Butts fate here. It seems Brucie wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater in this scenario.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Oh come on, bought out for what some big saving? Open up a roster spot? No way he should be bought out. He's young, has potential and deserves another opportunity to show he can crack the roster, there are spots in the bottom 6 open whether it's Butler/Daugs/Regin. Just have more competition in camp and in a worst case scenario he can be an extra forward who subs in for certain match ups and for injuries, just like he did last season.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the Sens buy out Butler, it would be a decent thing to do by Murray if he is not in their plans. That gives Butler the rest of the summer to find another job with another organization & it saves Ottawa a little money & a contract.

This way the Sens should have 13 forwards to start the yr & Zibanejad & Stone will most likely start the yr in Bingo. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris, Latendresse, Greening, Z. Smith, Neil, Regin, Condra, JOB & Daugavins should all start the yr in Ottawa next season. Silfverberg IMO should be the one rookie forward to make the team out of TC & IMO Daugavins will be the 13 forward in the press box to start the yr.

I also think that Boroweicki LD could make the team out of training camp but could also end up going back & forth from Bingo to Ottawa all yr.
Daugs and Regin aren't guaranteed a thing. Yes, Daugs has a one way contract but that could just as easily mean the team doesn't mind losing him through waivers if they tried to send him down or he can be an extra 13th forward. Butler SHOULD be battling with Daugs/Regin and heck even JOB for a spot in the bottom 6. Likely with Daugs to compare him to another winger, Regin and JOB got the inside track due to centres being needed.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:43 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Counting on Regin for anything other than a trip to the IR isn't wise to say the least.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Well, if the Sens wanted to bring another player into the organization, then it makes perfect sense to buy out Butler.

And he may have had one bad season, but he's only played 1.5 seasons in the NHL. Not a great ratio, IMO.
Sophomore slumps aren't that uncommon. It's certainly not a good reason to give up on him yet.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:51 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Counting on Regin for anything other than a trip to the IR isn't wise to say the least.
ouch man

SelleckStache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:19 AM
koreaboy

ouch but true. anything we get out of regin this year will be a bonus- found money. we all certainly hope he comes back and scores 20 goals, but with a lost year of development and his injury history, none of us should be counting on it. signing him to a 1-year deal for the amount we did was the right gamble to take, but we certainly shouldnt be putting him in pen in our top 6 and expecting him to produce consistently.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:22 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
True, but if we're gambling on a guy, I'll gamble that Regin stays healthy more than I'd gamble that Butler figures out what it takes to be an everyday NHLer.

They're both gambles, but considering neither of them are guys we're necessarily "counting" on at all (other than to fill a spot in the bottom-6 and maybe surprise us), I'll take the guy who has shown he has what it takes to stick in the league first.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
koreaboy

i'd agree with that. i think regin has more upside than butler does, and i am more willing to hold a roster spot open for him at this point than butler.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
How exactly are we going to hit the floor? Serious question, not bashing the move
Cap floor will be a lot lower than what it's currently set to. Plus, there won't be hockey for a while.

Also, wouldn't it be smarter to see what kind of rollbacks the players will accept and then buy him out based on his new salary?

Furthmore, We're a non playoff team atm. Why not give Butler one more chance? He's got the skills, he just needs to work on his skating.

Ergo, we should keep Butler.

Finally, I have nothing further to add at this time.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

I don't think either of them has what it takes to be top 6ers in the NHL. They're good options for Bingo though if they're willing to play there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Furthmore, We're a non playoff team atm. Why not give Butler one more chance? He's got the skills, he just needs to work on his skating.
Huh? We did just take the Rangers to 7 games in the playoffs...this year.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I don't think either of them has what it takes to be top 6ers in the NHL. They're good options for Bingo though if they're willing to play there.

Huh? We did just take the Rangers to 7 games in the playoffs...this year.
I think spezza Turris alfie Anderson 9mm and our defense are be undervalued this offseason.

I think we'll do similar to last year.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
koreaboy

we could. but we could just as easily miss the playoffs too. i would not be shocked if we ended up out of the top 8 next year. the competition is just too close.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
we could. but we could just as easily miss the playoffs too. i would not be shocked if we ended up out of the top 8 next year. the competition is just too close.
Definite possibility, but that doesn't make us 'not a playoff team.' We're one of the lower end playoff teams this year, and depending on how our young guys progress we could even be better this year. My bet is we're about the same as last year -- one of the teams fighting for the 7 and 8 spots.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Larionov

I have been sour on Butler for a while. I just don't see him ever cracking our top six, and he just isn't physical and gritty enough to play in the bottom six. He was a decent transitional player while we stocked up on, and developed, some depth, but now that we have that depth Butler is just baggage. My fear is that if we keep him, we will feel obligated to play him based on his one way deal, while there are better options behind him. I would buy him out in a heartbeat.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I don't think we're a lock to make the playoffs by any stretch, but I also don't think that we're a worse team. In fact I think we'll be better.

Losing dead weight like Konopka and Carks isn't going to hurt us much, if at all.

I don't think we'll miss Foligno much, but while I don't share the love that many have for him here, I did like him and I do think that we'll miss his jam at times.

Winnie, another hard working grinder type, but the guy has negligible skill, and is one good shot from Lindros land.

I expect Karlsson and Cowen to improve. I expect Methot will stabilize our D. I expect that Phillips will revert to his solid yet underwhelming self with a lesser role (5-6 guy) and I expect our goaltending will be just fine.

It's so tight now that we could be on the outside looking in next April, but my crystal ball is a little cloudy at the moment.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I don't think we're a lock to make the playoffs by any stretch, but I also don't think that we're a worse team. In fact I think we'll be better.

Losing dead weight like Konopka and Carks isn't going to hurt us much, if at all.

I don't think we'll miss Foligno much, but while I don't share the love that many have for him here, I did like him and I do think that we'll miss his jam at times.

Winnie, another hard working grinder type, but the guy has negligible skill, and is one good shot from Lindros land.

I expect Karlsson and Cowen to improve. I expect Methot will stabilize our D. I expect that Phillips will revert to his solid yet underwhelming self with a lesser role (5-6 guy) and I expect our goaltending will be just fine.

It's so tight now that we could be on the outside looking in next April, but my crystal ball is a little cloudy at the moment.

This is all correct, as usual.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Regin is going to be awesome

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:34 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:

It remains to be seen whether our youth has enough upside to match our considerable downside risk in age-related declines. For next season alone, I'd say that we don't.

Losing Konopka and Winchester will hurt our face-off numbers greatly and our possession time. They were great face-off men, while Smith, Turris, O'Brien and Regin range from average to terrible.

We'll miss Foligno if Latendresse misses significant time.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote