Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Old
07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
baboinfou

vCash: 500
Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Do you Guys have a list of prospects to follow for this year?
Thanks

baboinfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Daniel Sprong, lots of hype and drama surronding him... Unsure on where he plays midget.... Right now it's in the OHA, that will likely change...

Skylar Strumas, LSL AAA, D will likely go the prep route... Brother Adam went that route... Skylar was recently on team Quebec, one of 3 LSL players to make it..

MaxFortier is supposedly really good... Also LSL property...

Jeremy Roy played a year up in AAA for CAG last year, should dominate this year....

Nate Noel and Luc Deschens are also very highly touted... Scoutman1 can inform you on that, he has seen them play. I haven't.

Actually I haven't seen any of the above safe Roy play....

Anthony Beauvillier is also very good.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Daniel Sprong, lots of hype and drama surronding him... Unsure on where he plays midget.... Right now it's in the OHA, that will likely change...

Skylar Strumas, LSL AAA, D will likely go the prep route... Brother Adam went that route... Skylar was recently on team Quebec, one of 3 LSL players to make it..

MaxFortier is supposedly really good... Also LSL property...

Jeremy Roy played a year up in AAA for CAG last year, should dominate this year....

Nate Noel and Luc Deschens are also very highly touted... Scoutman1 can inform you on that, he has seen them play. I haven't.

Actually I haven't seen any of the above safe Roy play....

Anthony Beauvillier is also very good.

I have been watching Deschenes for over a year. Was extremely hyped a couple years ago after playing at the canada games as a 13yr old. Things have cooled off since then. Obviously still a very good prospect, but, needs to have a dominating year in midget, or wherever he plays. He was not dominating this year. Did not make the all star team, or win any awards. That does not take anything away when you consider he was playing against kids mostly 2-3 yrs older than him. At one point the hockey news had stated he was possibly the best 97 born hockey player in the world. This year, his midget coach (very respected, and Dallas star scout) clearly stated he his a good prospect, but absolutely not ready for major junior yet. Therefore, one would have to assume he's not as good as...say Ekblad.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
I have been watching Deschenes for over a year. Was extremely hyped a couple years ago after playing at the canada games as a 13yr old. Things have cooled off since then. Obviously still a very good prospect, but, needs to have a dominating year in midget, or wherever he plays. He was not dominating this year. Did not make the all star team, or win any awards. That does not take anything away when you consider he was playing against kids mostly 2-3 yrs older than him. At one point the hockey news had stated he was possibly the best 97 born hockey player in the world. This year, his midget coach (very respected, and Dallas star scout) clearly stated he his a good prospect, but absolutely not ready for major junior yet. Therefore, one would have to assume he's not as good as...say Ekblad.
Been known for awhile the he's cooled off, he's still a very good prospect, I think it's unfair to compare him to Ekblad who's in a class of his own.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Quote:
I completely agree on this. Playing on Team Atlantic should give him some more exposure playing with Q caliber guys too. He just looked alright in the 7-8 games I have seen of him, but he is, like you said, 1-3 years younger.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Frankie

love reading about this stuff.

who are the guys to watch for in nfld this year?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Dogpound

Kari belec and Alex Jacob from Moncton will both be high draft picks this year. Duschene was alright in midget this year but when he faced the better teams he had a tough time. Took a lot of penalties and was very undiciplined. Not sure he is going to grow anymore either.. His father isn't very big if that means anything.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersboss View Post
Kari belec and Alex Jacob from Moncton will both be high draft picks this year. Duschene was alright in midget this year but when he faced the better teams he had a tough time. Took a lot of penalties and was very undiciplined. Not sure he is going to grow anymore either.. His father isn't very big if that means anything.
I have heard that Jacob has a serious shoulder injury that requires surgery?

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:50 PM
ReppingMTL

Noel still #1 or has Jeremy Roy surpassed him?

ReppingMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:02 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingMTL View Post
Noel still #1 or has Jeremy Roy surpassed him?
Dan Sprong might be better then both...

I'd take Roy I saw him once but he blew me away..

Old
07-23-2012, 07:29 AM
ClemQ

Quote:

Alex Jacob is a goal scorer and has skill, but at this point, is seriously lacking in size.
Will be interesting to see how he does in midget AAA. He did play some games in high school this year, but, was not dominating to say the least. For someone who would be a "high" pick in the Q, they should be more then holding their own at the high school level at 14. Not taking anything away from him, but, he will need to show he can play and produce against bigger and older players if he is to be a high pick.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Alex Jacob is a goal scorer and has skill, but at this point, is seriously lacking in size.
Will be interesting to see how he does in midget AAA. He did play some games in high school this year, but, was not dominating to say the least. For someone who would be a "high" pick in the Q, they should be more then holding their own at the high school level at 14. Not taking anything away from him, but, he will need to show he can play and produce against bigger and older players if he is to be a high pick.
I agree with you about Jacob's abilities and yes he does lack in height (guessing he'd be 5'7 ish?) but he is deceptively strong. I am forming my opinion based on watching him play a handful of times. I think he'll more than hold his own in Midget AAA with the Flyers...superstar in his first year...I'd guess no....but a solid,regular contributor...I'd say yes. Maybe that knocks him down in the draft, but i don't think he falls too far. Just my opinion.

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Sprong might go OHL, look like he's going to play minor midget in Oakville and that could make eligible for OHL draft. not sure how rule work...

-Nathan Noel was not very noticeable in the All-Canadians game this past saturday but thats only 1 game.

-Jeremy Roy was pretty good , made some good passes and smart play nothing flashy. He just look like a hockey player.

-Anthony Beauvillier was very good. good speed & hustle all game long. Made a sick pass on the tying goal

-Nicolas Roy was ok, big kid should be a first rounder if he keep progressing.

-Luc Deschesne: not a flashy game but throw a couples good hit and block some shot. nothing flashy there.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
welcometothebigshow2

1. Anthony Beauvillier Antoine Gir.
2. Nathan Noel Shattuck
3. Jeremie Roy Antoine Gir.
4. Daniel Sprong Wilkes-Barre Scranton
5. Layton Parsons Cole Harbour
6. Nicolas Roy Amos
7. Mathieu Nadeau Elite Beauce
8. Tommy Bellemare Cobras Verdun
9. Luc Deschenes Fredericton
10. Andrew Picco Shattuck
11. Brendan Hamelin Conquest
12. Alexandre Drapeau TGV
13. Philippe Forcier Magog
14. Nicholas Dawe Bedford
15. Nick Welsh Halifax
16. JM Leblanc Saint John
17. Colby Tower Jr. Xmen
18. Jesse Murphy-Hamer Bubba Rays

A little maritime heavy as I am from NB, but this is how I see it. After watching the All state game, I think Beauvillier has surpassed Noel. That is only the second time I have seen Beauvillier though, and I've seen Noel in Bantam last year and at the ACC. I have not seen most of the Quebec kids, but I have been told about them. Enjoy!

Old
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
I agree with you about Jacob's abilities and yes he does lack in height (guessing he'd be 5'7 ish?) but he is deceptively strong. I am forming my opinion based on watching him play a handful of times. I think he'll more than hold his own in Midget AAA with the Flyers...superstar in his first year...I'd guess no....but a solid,regular contributor...I'd say yes. Maybe that knocks him down in the draft, but i don't think he falls too far. Just my opinion.
Right! i think were on the same page, but i guess i was saying that in order to be considered one of the top players in the draft, especially if your from the maritimes, you have to dominate at midget AAA, especially at 15. I agree, if he has a solid season, he will be drafted early enough, but, i think the draft is going to be deep this year, especially with maritme players, therefore in order to be up there, he will have to shine at places such as the challenge cup, monctonnian, the new halifax tournament and of course the playoffs. Because of his size, he wont have the benefit of doubt if he does not produce. Sometimes you can look past #'s and producing when your 6'2", and can skate like the wind!!! but if your 5'7", you better be putting that puck in the net, and have drive. (example MaCausland - scorer in midget AAA. He dominated his year midget AAA)

Old
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sprong's dad could move him before the start of the year...

Old
07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Dogpound

Quote:
Right! i think were on the same page, but i guess i was saying that in order to be considered one of the top players in the draft, especially if your from the maritimes, you have to dominate at midget AAA, especially at 15. I agree, if he has a solid season, he will be drafted early enough, but, i think the draft is going to be deep this year, especially with maritme players, therefore in order to be up there, he will have to shine at places such as the challenge cup, monctonnian, the new halifax tournament and of course the playoffs. Because of his size, he wont have the benefit of doubt if he does not produce. Sometimes you can look past #'s and producing when your 6'2", and can skate like the wind!!! but if your 5'7", you better be putting that puck in the net, and have drive. (example MaCausland - scorer in midget AAA. He dominated his year midget AAA)
Jacob has been the best kid his age for a number of years and scores every where he goes despite his size. Jacob played in the Atlantics and Nationals with Moncton didn't he? If i remember correctly he scored a few points in both tournaments too. He is definitely small but doesn't seem to shy away from the rough stuff either. He might be a bit timid now after having surgery. Interesting to see how Luc Duschene will do finally playing against kids his own age. I really don't think he is going to turn out like everyone is expecting.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Jacob has been the best kid his age for a number of years and scores every where he goes despite his size. Jacob played in the Atlantics and Nationals with Moncton didn't he? If i remember correctly he scored a few points in both tournaments too. He is definitely small but doesn't seem to shy away from the rough stuff either. He might be a bit timid now after having surgery. Interesting to see how Luc Duschene will do finally playing against kids his own age. I really don't think he is going to turn out like everyone is expecting.
Jacob is the best player in Moncton for his age group no question , but with his size this year in midget will see how he holds up as will be playing against bigger and stronger players some two years older.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:04 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Noel is a NF boy right ?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Noel is a NF boy right ?
Correct.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:33 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Correct.
How long has he been at Shattucks for ?

Old
07-25-2012, 08:24 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
I though Belec was the best bantam player in NB last year. Knows how to score and loves the physical game. Always hard on the puck and great at forcing the play where he wants it.

Jacob was definitely right there with Belec at the top of the league. Size never seemed to hold him back either. Very deceptive and has great instincts at finding open space on the ice.

I'm not sure if they will be high draft picks overall, but they will definitely be some of the highest picks from NB.

With regards to Deschenes not growing anymore/father not very big. I happened to run into his uncle recently through a mutual friend. Very large man, dwarfed me and I am 6'1" and weigh 220lbs. Could very well get his size as opposed to his father's.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
i'm not in disagreement, just pointing out that in order to be a top draft pick, when your "smaller", you have to dominate and have skills above the average. He will have all year to prove himself! I hope he does well! he has the bloodline, the smarts, etc..etc.

and i will agree 100% on your post about Deschenes. I dont wish him bad luck, but i have been watching him for 2 years now, and i just havent seen him justify the hype. I saw Crosby playing as a 14yr old with the dartmouth subways, and he dominated. Of course he's the best player in the world now. Andrew Gordon also played on that dartmouth team, played NCAA after , and is now with the Anaheim ducks. He was 15 and dominated also. This guy dominated....and barely anyone knows about him. He's playing in the NHL now, and still most people dont know about him. I dont get the hype about a player when they are not dominant in NB midget AAA. I just havent seen any of that from Deschenes.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:30 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
i'm not in disagreement, just pointing out that in order to be a top draft pick, when your "smaller", you have to dominate and have skills above the average. He will have all year to prove himself! I hope he does well! he has the bloodline, the smarts, etc..etc.

and i will agree 100% on your post about Deschenes. I dont wish him bad luck, but i have been watching him for 2 years now, and i just havent seen him justify the hype. I saw Crosby playing as a 14yr old with the dartmouth subways, and he dominated. Of course he's the best player in the world now. Andrew Gordon also played on that dartmouth team, played NCAA after , and is now with the Anaheim ducks. He was 15 and dominated also. This guy dominated....and barely anyone knows about him. He's playing in the NHL now, and still most people dont know about him. I dont get the hype about a player when they are not dominant in NB midget AAA. I just havent seen any of that from Deschenes.
I am not sold on Deschenes, but in saying that if you check the team stats he led all Fredericton D in points last year and missed some games due to injury not to bad for a 14 year old, will he live up to all the hype or just be a good player time will tell.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

You guys are being too hard in him... How many 14 year olds play Midget AAA ?