Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 07:29 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Verbally and officially aren't the same. Otherwise you have to count Poile's statement that he'd match any offer made to Weber...which he said only a day or two prior.
I think the statement you're referring to came a few weeks ago...but I don't think even he had any idea as to how massively front-loaded Weber's offer sheet would be at that time. And if you notice, the day after Weber signed that offer sheet, Poile's statement to the fans never mentioned that he would definitely match, only that they would study it.

I think they made their decision just within the past day or two....

Last edited by MuckOG: 07-24-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
Philly fans sure had themselves convinced that their GM had outsmarted Nashville. Looks like he outsmarted himself.
Not really. While Philly fans are ridiculously in love with Holmgren, this was a situation where he couldn't lose. Nashville matched, so Weber stays in the West on the team that drafted him. The team is severely hamstrung for at least a year most likely due to the design of the contract. Philly's no worse off than the day before they submitted the offer sheet.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
JamesRanger

He stays in the West for a year. He will have tremendous trade value 1 year from now to any team. I can't imagine Polie trading him to the Flyers after all this. Any other team is fair game.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Sportsfan1

Except for the fact Philly still doesn't have a scary defense and certainly questionable goaltending, they haven't improved at all.

Glad Nashville matched for the fans own sake, but I will say I will be surprised let's just say if Weber is still wearing that uniform in 5 years.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
They can trade him in a year, but doubt they do it. Why move him after paying the hefty amount that he's owed in the first year?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
JamesRanger

I agree they could hold on to him. It really depends on two things. Does Nashville contend without Suter and does Weber push for a trade? If the former is false the latter seems likely.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Gee, according to the main board MN is a small market team who is crying poor to the league. Didn't realize we were begging for money? LOL

Old
07-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Sportsfan1

I just feel Weber really wants out, and will try if not next year, then in a few years if Nashville spirals downward now.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but is Weber now signed to a 14 year deal with the preds, because they matched the deal that he signed with philly?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but is Weber now signed to a 14 year deal with the preds, because they matched the deal that he signed with philly?
You got it.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
You got it.
So if i'm Weber (who obviously wants out of Smashville) why do i sign a 14 year offer from Philly knowing full well there is a good chance that the Preds match. Why not wait tell next year when hes a UFA?

Last edited by Sneaky Priest: 07-24-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Parentheses fail
Old
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
So if i'm Weber (who obviously wants out of (Smashville) why do i sign a 14 year offer from Philly knowing full well there is a good chance that the Preds match. Why not wait tell next year when hes a UFA?
Because the money and years are guaranteed, something that might not be the case next year.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Because the money and years are guaranteed, something that might not be the case next year.
makes sense i guess.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
JamesRanger

Also hes isn't sure what the new CBA will bring. This may have been his only chance at a lifetime contract. That is a lot of financial security.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
So if i'm Weber (who obviously wants out of Smashville) why do i sign a 14 year offer from Philly knowing full well there is a good chance that the Preds match. Why not wait tell next year when hes a UFA?
Disagree that he obviously wanted out.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Disagree that he obviously wanted out.
Yeah its not that obvious.

I'm glad that Nashville gets to keep him, keeps another organization going and the rich don't get richer with Nash and Weber.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Listening to the interview with Kevin Epp after the signing, I get the feeling that Weber and his agents were awfully surprised that the Predators matched...I think they felt that his days in Nashville were over and he would be a Flyer....and yes, I get the feeling that Weber was a bit disappointed to be going back to Nashville....Epp was doing his very best to be "diplomatic" about the situation.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Listening to the interview with Kevin Epp after the signing, I get the feeling that Weber and his agents were awfully surprised that the Predators matched...I think they felt that his days in Nashville were over and he would be a Flyer....and yes, I get the feeling that Weber was a bit disappointed to be going back to Nashville....Epp was doing his very best to be "diplomatic" about the situation.
I got that impression as well, but he made his bed and now he has to lay in it. I was a little surprised that Nashville matched as well. I thought they would, but I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from the franchise.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:58 AM
P10p

I don't know why people say he "obviously wants out of Nashville". I don't really think that is the case. He exercised his right to sign an offer sheet to guarantee himself a hefty pay check at what he feels he is worth. You can say its too much or whatever but there are teams willing to pay it. I can't blame him for that. If I had the chance to do that in my career damn right I'd be doing so.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Someone should start a caption contest for this photo....
"Don't ask what just happened in the bathroom just now. I'd have to review the tape first"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
I don't know why people say he "obviously wants out of Nashville". I don't really think that is the case. He exercised his right to sign an offer sheet to guarantee himself a hefty pay check at what he feels he is worth. You can say its too much or whatever but there are teams willing to pay it. I can't blame him for that. If I had the chance to do that in my career damn right I'd be doing so.
I think this is right. If I wanted to guarantee myself financial security, I'd probably sign with almost any team that offered me a deal like that.

Hell, I'd even consider signing in Columbus for that kind of money.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:18 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by P10p View Post
Exercising his right to sign an offersheet knowing that Nashville could match it and wanting to get out of Nashville are not mutually exclusive. Especially given the fact that these types of contracts will probably be history in the new CBA.

I think he took the best deal he could get and hoped that Nashville would pass on it. Sure, he knew it was possible they could match it, but I still think he wanted out regardless.

I'm sure he'll play the good soldier in Nashville.....However, if things turn south with the Predators and they are out of contention in a couple of seasons, we'll start hearing rumblings that he would like to be traded...ala Rick Nash. The only difference is that he won't get to pick and choose which team he gets traded to (assuming that Nashville doesn't insert a NMC into his deal....and why would they?).

Old
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Weber had made a few comments since signing the offer sheet that made it sound like he wanted out of Nashville. However, prior to Suter leaving, he wanted to stay. We'll see in a year. If Weber plays well away from Suter, how much do you think 13 years of him on a contract that's already burned the largest year off it is worth?

Old
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
PredsFanFromla

Shea weber's first public comment since the preds matched:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...eer-Music-City

Old
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post

There you have it... he wanted a retirement contract... Poile wasn't offering one, so he utilized his right as a RFA to force one, and now he's happy... IN NASHVILLE.

He didn't want out, he just wanted a retirement contract.

“I guess that was (agent Jarrett Bousquet’s) feelings,” Weber said. “Like I said, I was never a part of any of that. I didn’t make any statements publicly.

“I love the city of Nashville. I love the fans and my teammates. It’s a very positive thing that the ownership has stepped up and shown they’re going to be a team that’s going to spend to the cap and bring guys in and be a successful team.”

Old
07-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFanFromla View Post

Damage control - it's the easy, obvious thing to do after you got caught cheating with a more attractive proposition.

Closed Thread