HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What the flyers do next???

Old
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KILLER93 View Post
How about make an offer to your own RFA Voracek....I hear Nashville's interested... lol
If they offer a 6 year deal, I'd be stoked. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

But, yea, he's going to get resigned.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
deftones1986

Let's wait until 2025-2026 and trade for Weber.

deftones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Schenn ++ would have gotten us Weber. I know hindsight is 20/20, but trading JVR for L. Schenn might have been a bad idea. It makes both hard to trade (at least right now), and we all know Couturier is completely out of the question...

That said... if we didn't trade for Luke, we might have been able to put together a package around Schenn for Weber before the offer sheet and I would have been happy with that.

Giroux - Briere - Couturier down the middle, then you have Laughton and Cousins coming in the future for Briere's departure.

I'm still sour I guess
I still would've offered both Schenns and a first round pick (or two). Even would've included one of Jakub Voracek or Matt Read to really sweeten the deal and get it done. A number of posters disagreed with me on giving up that kind of value for Weber, but you're not going to get a franchise defenseman entering his prime for what basically amounts to spare parts. The majority of people seemed to be either laughably delusional or just hopelessly dense about the whole thing.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:28 PM
GTopCheese

If the Ducks FO thinks the same as their fans then there's pretty much zero chance of that trade happening. Honestly, it seems like we'll sit tight until the season. I know it's not Homer's style but I don't know what else there is left to do really.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
If the Ducks FO thinks the same as their fans then there's pretty much zero chance of that trade happening. Honestly, it seems like we'll sit tight until the season. I know it's not Homer's style but I don't know what else there is left to do really.
Panic, that's what else there is left to do. And that's what scares me ****less.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Broad Street Elite

God, I just hate that we are so badly dis-aligned between the ages of our front line and our backend. We have our forwards entering their primes (2-3 years) while our defense/goalie pass theirs.

If Schenn works out, that helps some, but our inability to draft a top 4 defenseman is getting ridiculous. You'd think that blind luck would get you there on occasion.

Will be fun to watch the team and enjoy them grow none-the-less, but definitely painful going from dreams of a Cup 48 hours ago to a build-up year.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:15 AM
BillDineen

1- Going for the home run with Parise and Suter - strike one
2- Going for the offer sheet with Weber - strike two
3- Going for Shane Doan - likely strike three

After that, Homer will sign Voracek and likely explore at a Ryan trade, but I don't think he gives up enough to get a trade done.

I think this is the team and it is not a bad one.

EDIT: Forgot the Schultz swing and miss above as well.

Last edited by BillDineen: 07-25-2012 at 02:54 AM.
BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:28 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
God, I just hate that we are so badly dis-aligned between the ages of our front line and our backend. We have our forwards entering their primes (2-3 years) while our defense/goalie pass theirs.

If Schenn works out, that helps some, but our inability to draft a top 4 defenseman is getting ridiculous. You'd think that blind luck would get you there on occasion.

Will be fun to watch the team and enjoy them grow none-the-less, but definitely painful going from dreams of a Cup 48 hours ago to a build-up year.
We need picks...all the picks we have lost are really coming back to haunt us. The Pronger trade was not worth it (hindsight and all)...Sbisa would EASILY replace Carle in the top 4. Eminger deal...we have nothing left from that now.

We are lucky as crap that the Carter and Richards trades were basically home runs....

And yes, its a bit of a growth year now.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
phlla12

No Ryan trade!!! Ryan trade = giving up more assets then we need.

How many people were happy sticking with the team we ended with last season? And then we lost a few people... so giving away more for one player who is not that much better?

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
achdumeingute

Just thinking, I love Kimmo...he's been just awesome, but if we can get ANYTHING of young value for him at the deadline, if I'm GM he's gone.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I'm not used to seeing this much cap space which means a move or signing is on the horizon. Cap space is not Flyers hockey

Now we wait on Doan to tell us he's staying in the desert.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:38 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I'm not used to seeing this much cap space which means a move or signing is on the horizon. Cap space is not Flyers hockey

Now we wait on Doan to tell us he's staying in the desert.
I really hope not, there is really NOBODY left to spend on, besides Semin, who I would like on a 1 yr, but he should get years + money from someone... He's got to be on the clock now.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:38 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
1- Going for the home run with Parise and Suter - strike one
2- Going for the offer sheet with Weber - strike two
3- Going for Shane Doan - likely strike three

After that, Homer will sign Voracek and likely explore at a Ryan trade, but I don't think he gives up enough to get a trade done.

I think this is the team and it is not a bad one.
I kind of agree with this. If they sign Voracek to a reasonable deal they have enough cap space to NOT LTIR Pronger, bank a little cap space, and be able to add at the deadline. Sure if Doan falls in their lap I suppose I'd sign him, but if his price is high give the minutes Jagr and JvR got last year to the young guys and see what you've got.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Snotbubbles

Re-sign Voracek and do nothing else. Wait to see how the CBA plays out. Then next year you have space to make moves under a more certain environment.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:28 AM
flyersfromquebec

What about chris steward rfa jn 2013...perry and getzlav ufa 2013.....stl got alot of Def ufa and rfa in 2013....maybe a deal involving steward and a Def

flyersfromquebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:33 AM
feedingschennzy

Is anybody getting the sinking suspicion that we're gonna be sellers at the deadline? I honestly could see us trading guys like Danny, kimo, and hartnell and trying to get some more defensive help.

How about:
Danny and a 1 for Grigorenko

Hartnell and a 2 for Edler

Kimo for a 1st

These would be if were a borderline playoff team and had a REAL free agency plan. Maybe go after Perry in FA? I think getzlaf stays in Anaheim.

Last edited by feedingschennzy: 07-25-2012 at 06:59 AM.
feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Is anybody getting the sinking suspicion that we're gonna be sellers at the deadline? I honestly could see us trading guys like Danny, kimo, and hartnell and trying to get some more defensive help.
All have NM, NT clauses.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:

How about:
Danny and a 1 for Grigorenko

Hartnell and a 2 for Edler

Kimo for a 1st

These would be if were a borderline playoff team and had a REAL free agency plan. Maybe go after Perry in FA? I think getzlaf stays in Anaheim.
have you considered no-trade clauses for these players? I believe Kimmo has one at least.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:03 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Panic, that's what else there is left to do. And that's what scares me ****less.
That's the last thing the club can do. Panic means making a move out of desperation that's going to come back and haunt you. The best thing the Flyers can do is sit back and wait. They need to give the current group a chance to see if they can do the job or not. Laviolette did a good job in Carolina with the mediocre defense they had. I'd say this group is much better than the group he had in Carolina.

I know that having a marquee name on the defense seems to be a must, but right now, I hope the Flyers remain calm because with the amount of cap space they have, they can afford to make a big move when they need to. I'd say the best thing to do is wait until the second half of the season and look at making a big move. By then, there should at least be a sense of which clubs won't be making the playoffs and you know that there'll be a bunch of GMs who are willing to make a deal to get rid of players for picks to restock. That's when the Flyers should strike.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:10 AM
feedingschennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
have you considered no-trade clauses for these players? I believe Kimmo has one at least.
As I have said before Briere would waive to certain places. Please don't reopen this discussion.

Kimmo maybe not but if its his last chance at a cup wouldn't suprise me, especially if we don't give him the captaincy.

Hartnell very well could return in FA and if it nets us Edler it would be trolling of the century.

All seem like logical options if we're falling out of the race

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Offer sheet Del Zotto, Del Zotto, Kulikov, Carlson. We gotta piss someone off.
Please, please do this. As a Cap fan I really want to lock him up long term.

Seriously though, what about Subban?

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Psuhockey

The Flyers are a playoff team in the East. Thats all that matters. No need to panic. They obviously believe in the young core they assembled so let's see where it goes. I say play out the season and try to add Enstrom at the deadline.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Please, please do this. As a Cap fan I really want to lock him up long term.

Seriously though, what about Subban?
Montreal matches. We might get them to overpay, though

07-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
As I have said before Briere would waive to certain places. Please don't reopen this discussion.

Kimmo maybe not but if its his last chance at a cup wouldn't suprise me, especially if we don't give him the captaincy.

Hartnell very well could return in FA and if it nets us Edler it would be trolling of the century.

All seem like logical options if we're falling out of the race
It is not logical when you are making quite a few assumptions there.
I dont think any of these are even options.

do you have a link to Briere saying this?

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:35 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
/Cliff Lee'd.

I do approve of this plan if the season has turned sour by the trade deadline.

Although I doubt it would get us Edler. A late first wouldn't be out of the question though.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote