HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:19 AM
goosh
@adamgushansky

vCash: 500
Honestly, judging by what's out there, I'd consider politely declining Bernier's trade request. I mean, I haven't seen one proposal out there that I think would benefit the Kings. Either the value isn't good enough or we wouldn't have a replacement.

goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Tedenboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I guess we'll just have to trade for Brodeur then and make him our backup, lol. Yes, I'll throw in Richardson.

I have to come here more often. You guys are good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Honestly, judging by what's out there, I'd consider politely declining Bernier's trade request. I mean, I haven't seen one proposal out there that I think would benefit the Kings. Either the value isn't good enough or we wouldn't have a replacement.
This is what I would do, but differently. The way I see it, all the viable destinations for Bernier (Tampa, Toronto etc) have filled or are trying to fill their hands with other goalies. I would assume that Lombardi knows this and is waiting for goalies elsewhere to crash and burn to try and get max value for Bernier.

Watch him get more starts this season and go somewhere unexpected for a large return, be it at the deadline or next offseason. Dean knows what he's doing.

Tedenboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Hedberg is 39...

...and most likely unwilling to waive his NTC.

The only way the Devils could possibly accomodate for a Bernier-type goalie is if Hedberg retires. Under normal circumstances, I'd be all over this trade too but:

1) we have two goalies under contract for two more years
2) both have NTC's
3) the first round pick is a non-starter because we still have to give up one because of the Kovalcontract.

A resounding no from NJ that could really have been a yes last season.
Words of wisdom. The Bernier to NJ bus left when Hedberg resigned there. No way NJ carries three goalies for two years.

Quote:
We need Clifford right now but...

If we get an upgrade in Umberger, that's a different story. Only problem is where do we fit him now? We can move Brown back to RW but that may mean Lewis doesn't get to play.
If we trade Clifford and bring in Umberger, we'd still have the same number of forwards, so Lewis wouldn't lose a roster spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
And therefore I would not trade Bernier for anything less. Bernier doesn't HAVE to be traded.
Which is fine, and I agree, he doesn't have to be traded. I'm simply stating that a top 10 pick seems unrealistic in a deal for Bernier. Frankly, I'd rather just keep him until mid-season. Firstly, I'd like to see how Jones does carrying the load in Manchester before giving him the backup spot. Secondly, I'd like to see a team get more desperate and overpay somewhat, which will happen if Bernier has more starts.

Bernier will be dreadful for the first 3-5 starts, then get on a roll after that for us and his value will rise.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post

I have to come here more often. You guys are good people.

This is what I would do, but differently. The way I see it, all the viable destinations for Bernier (Tampa, Toronto etc) have filled or are trying to fill their hands with other goalies. I would assume that Lombardi knows this and is waiting for goalies elsewhere to crash and burn to try and get max value for Bernier.

Watch him get more starts this season and go somewhere unexpected for a large return, be it at the deadline or next offseason. Dean knows what he's doing.
So you don't think Hedberg would waive to back up Quick? No offense but with the loss of Parise, possibility of Weber in Philly, and Nash in New York it will be hard for the Devils to get into the playoffs, let alone win the east. Why wouldn't he want to play for what should be a sure playoff team.
I think Bernier would be a great fit in New Jersey to play behinid Marty. It is my preferred destination for him.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
So you don't think Hedberg would waive to back up Quick? No offense but with the loss of Parise, possibility of Weber in Philly, and Nash in New York it will be hard for the Devils to get into the playoffs, let alone win the east. Why wouldn't he want to play for what should be a sure playoff team.
I think Bernier would be a great fit in New Jersey to play behinid Marty. It is my preferred destination for him.
He's also played the last two years in New Jersey, so i assume he's settled in there with family, and has a guaranteed two more years in New Jersey to boot, plus he's played 61 total games the past two years, which is a lot more than Bernier's 41. Additionally, with Broduer now 40 years old, he'll likely need a lot more rest than a 25 year old Jonathan Quick. Where do you think Hedberg gets to play more?

Additionally, Hedberg was a UFA this year. He resigned with New Jersey on July 2nd, so clearly he feels the best place is New Jersey and took a NTC to guarantee it.

Doesn't shock me at all that Hedberg would remain in New Jersey.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
He's also played the last two years in New Jersey, so i assume he's settled in there with family, and has a guaranteed two more years in New Jersey to boot, plus he's played 61 total games the past two years, which is a lot more than Bernier's 41. Additionally, with Broduer 40, he'll likely need a lot more rest than a 25 year old Jonathan Quick. Where do you think Hedberg gets to play more?

Additionally, Hedberg was a UFA this year. He resigned with New Jersey on July 2nd, so clearly he feels the best place is New Jersey and took a NTC to guarantee it.

Doesn't shock me at all that Hedberg would remain in New Jersey.
I think he would waive. Problem is if we acquire him we're out of the Doan sweepstakes, which is the bigger deal, IMO.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
johnjm22

I believe Hedberg and Kovalchuk are best friends, and that's one of the reasons Hedberg signed with NJ in the first place. I doubt he would be willing to come to LA.

Also, NJ is a good team. As I've said before, they've arguably been the best teams in the conference for the past 1.5 seasons.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
YP44

Quote:
I think he would waive. Problem is if we acquire him we're out of the Doan sweepstakes, which is the bigger deal, IMO.
How do you figure. The difference in Bernier and Hedberg's cap hit is 150k. LA currentl yhas 7mil in cap space according to capgeek. Soo how much are you plannign on paying doan?
I think us landing Doan is a long shot but if it does hinder that the njust wait till he officially joins this list of players who have blown the kings off before making the trade.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
no name

Quote:
I gave up on Doan July 8th.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I have no idea what this means, but I am posting it nevertheless as we may hear something soon.

From Twitter:

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund Looks like Columbus and Toronto are in a bit of a sweepstakes for Jonathan Bernier tonight.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:23 PM
KingCanadain1976

Am i the only one hoping columbus steps up with a better offer. I think jb would thrieve there less media pressure. I honestly think jb will take the starter role over by december With jj and the ranger players i think bj will be alot better

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I have no idea what this means, but I am posting it nevertheless as we may hear something soon.

From Twitter:
He's just piggy backing off of what local Toronto and Columbus have tweeted in regards to Bernier.

http://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/stat...39898836004864
Quote:
One of my bird-dogs insisted today #Leafs are working diligently to acquire help in goal; a deal could be on the horizon. Bernier?
http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/226651056162082816
Quote:
Told #CBJ are still very much interested in #LAKings G Jonathan Bernier. Nothing appears close, but two sides have spoken in recent days.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

This is the only additional news I could find...same source, but a little bit more information, but unfortunately no names tied to the "rumor."

Quote:
From Eklund:
Hearing rumors of Toronto and Columbus putting in bids tonight on Kings Backup Jonathan Bernier...more in the am.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's just piggy backing off of what local Toronto and Columbus have tweeted in regards to Bernier.

http://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/stat...39898836004864

http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/226651056162082816
Yeah, not much of a rumor if it doesn't even involve names.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
KingCanadain1976

one of the lesser rumour guys just said toronto traded frattin and either a 1st or 2nd for bernier seems pretty sure

Old
07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
bobafettish*

kind of weird that cbj had no interest in bernier at the deadline. now they seem to be going hard after him.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
kind of weird that cbj had no interest in bernier at the deadline. now they seem to be going hard after him.
i think that they were interest in him just not the package we offered. I belive he was offered in a package for nash and we all know how much howson wanted for him.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
one of the lesser rumour guys just said toronto traded frattin and either a 1st or 2nd for bernier seems pretty sure
Don't believe a thing unless it's from a reputable source. None of these guys have sources. More often than not, they're following other reporters who first crack the news then these hacks just claim that they broke the news (happened last year with a local Boston report that a hack I won't name stole the info from).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Don't believe a thing unless it's from a reputable source. None of these guys have sources. More often than not, they're following other reporters who first crack the news then these hacks just claim that they broke the news (happened last year with a local Boston report that a hack I won't name stole the info from).
I'm not taking it as 100% but other sources more legit have said the kings are talking to leafs and frattin is a player we were rumoured to have interest in at the deadline ( offered in package for brown) and the pick would be consistent for what most of us king fans think would be realistic. Hes saying latest this goes down is tomorrow afternoon.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
BeLeafer11

As a Leafs fan I worry about trading for an unproven goalie when we already have a couple. I know his tool kit and potential upside is greater that what we have so it may be a good move.

As Kings fans, did you really project him to be the #1 of the future before Quick took over? Any other insights you can share?

BeLeafer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer11 View Post
As a Leafs fan I worry about trading for an unproven goalie when we already have a couple. I know his tool kit and potential upside is greater that what we have so it may be a good move.

As Kings fans, did you really project him to be the #1 of the future before Quick took over? Any other insights you can share?
Bernier was always seen as the next starting goaltender for LA, especially after his cup of coffee with LA when he started the season in London with a brilliant game. LA gave him some seasoning back in Manchester after that, and then a little while after that Quick blew onto the scene. I'm pretty sure management was just using Quick as a placeholder for Bernier in his first 2 seasons, but Quick has just excelled at a high pace. The team that gets Bernier will have a great goaltender for many years. I'm not sure if he'll be an all-star, but he definately has the potential to be a very good goaltender.

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:

another Leafs fan asked that and some other questions about Bernier recently, that link is below. Most Kings fans were confident in Bernier and his ability given reg. starts and playing time to be a very good goalie.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233231

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
jfont

Awards:
dreger just tweeted that the leafs aren't even chatting with LA

07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Am i the only one hoping columbus steps up with a better offer. I think jb would thrieve there less media pressure. I honestly think jb will take the starter role over by december With jj and the ranger players i think bj will be alot better
No I agree 100%. I want Bernier to be given the best chance for success.
Plus I already have a soft spot for the jackets due to JMFJ so why not have both there.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
dreger just tweeted that the leafs aren't even chatting with la
Quote:
darren dreger ‏@darrendreger ok...i'll weigh in from sask on speculation leafs are closing in on bernier deal. Burke says they're not even talking with la. As you were.