HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OfferSheet on Jamie Benn

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
488fitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
What we know about offersheets: Which ones will be matched and which will be accepted:

Any offer on Jamie Benn: Matched
Any offer on Evander Kane: Matched
A 6yr, 40mil offer for Jakub Voracek: Accepted
A 3yr, 9mil offer for Tom Sestito: Accepted

The last 3 to be accepted were Penner, Corson, and Gratton. All three were massively overpaid and all three never went on to do anything with their new teams.

Offersheets are signed as a way for players to get their existing teams to buck up. That's it. Cheers.

TOML
The most logical post in this thread.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
calcal798

Well if its happening, which I doubt, it certainly wont be Burke.

I'm guessing they are just saying this because it happened to Shea, they want to report something and Benn is the next best player.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
number72

If this is real - it is unsigned at this point as there is no announcment.
Sounds like Benn's camp is leaking offersheet news to get Dallas to bid up their offering.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
If this is real - it is unsigned at this point as there is no announcment.
Sounds like Benn's camp is leaking offersheet news to get Dallas to bid up their offering.
No, it is rumor mongers trying to get page hits by throwing around the biggest name left. Both GMJN and Benn have said they are waiting for the CBA to be sorted out before they sign something, and if Benn wanted the team to make a move he could sign an offer sheet that Dallas would instantly match.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
In other news, according to my sources Benn and Barrie we're in Victoria at a club a few weeks back with no shirts on just dumping shots onto their bare chests.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Benn is a left wing and Montreal has a very obvious hole on the 1st line LW. Plus they have all their picks to do this.

I could really see this coming from Montreal.
XXXXXXX - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Still doubtful to make the playoffs. Could be a couple top 5 picks.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
belair

Quote:
What we know about offersheets: Which ones will be matched and which will be accepted:

Any offer on Jamie Benn: Matched
Any offer on Evander Kane: Matched
A 3yr, 9mil offer for Tom Sestito: Accepted

The last 3 to be accepted were Penner, Corson, and Gratton. All three were massively overpaid and all three never went on to do anything with their new teams.

Offersheets are signed as a way for players to get their existing teams to buck up. That's it. Cheers.

TOML
I don't agree with the bolded, per se.

I truly believe Weber signed the offer-sheet with the idea that Nashville wasn't going to step up to the plate with that kind of coin. And it's still pretty shocking to me that their ownership was able to do so even though it was the right move.

IMO, Shea Weber's prerogative is to play for a contending team. Sure the money is there, but he's going to get that offer anywhere he drifts to in this league. Philidelphia was a greener pasture to him and he bit on that opportunity.

As for your example of successful offer-sheets being a sign of them yielding negative results... although at the time, the Dustin Penner contract seemed rather inflated, it turned out very well for the team who signed him to it. He turned out to be an offensive catalyst in Edmonton and his trade in the final year of his contract yielded a similar return to the compensation that Anaheim had received.

And with teams like Florida inflating contracts and taking on high cap players just to hit the cap-floor, it wouldn't be surprising to see teams like them targeting middle-ground players from cap-heavy teams as an alternative. It would definitely make for a more interesting off-season.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Toronto - I doubt Burke would do it after the fuss he made following the Penner offer sheet
Montreal - Might do it because they had a great draft and could consider those picks expendable. Benn is the big center the team has needed, but so is Galchenyuk.
Ottawa - No space with Spezza and Turris
Winnipeg - no space and I don't see Chevy doing it. Although we have three 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders next year, the 2013 draft is supposed to be very deep.
Edmonton - No space in their top six.
Vancouver - Would make the most sense if they didn't have Sedin and Kesler
Calgary - I could see Feaster doing it.
God forbid Turris play third line

Benn can play wing BTW...

Old
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Toronto - I doubt Burke would do it after the fuss he made following the Penner offer sheet
Montreal - Might do it because they had a great draft and could consider those picks expendable. Benn is the big center the team has needed, but so is Galchenyuk.
Ottawa - No space with Spezza and Turris
Winnipeg - no space and I don't see Chevy doing it. Although we have three 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders next year, the 2013 draft is supposed to be very deep.
Edmonton - No space in their top six.
Vancouver - Would make the most sense if they didn't have Sedin and Kesler
Calgary - I could see Feaster doing it.
They would make space, Gagner could be moved and Benn can also play LW

Hall-Benn-Hemsky
Yakupov-RNH-Eberle

Move Gagner for a dman or

Benn-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

Hemsky on the third line with Smyth and Horcoff or traded for a dman.

but I doubt it's them. They'd be targeting D men I would think.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Flames will not trade Bouwmeester for a 2nd round pick and "B level prospect." Fistric would be a throw in. He would be redundant in Calgary.

Agree that a #1 C holds more value than a #2 D however.
So you are claiming to be better connected than members of the MSM. I'll take my chances with the radio guys.

Fistric may not hold huge value but is certainly not a throw in. As for Bouwmeester he may be a top pairing guy on SOME teams but he does not bring enough to the table when his salary is taken into account and that is why his value is not what you would like it to be. Never in a million years would JBo be the centerpiece going back in a deal for Benn.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
jferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
In other news, according to my sources Benn and Barrie we're in Victoria at a club a few weeks back with no shirts on just dumping shots onto their bare chests.
I believe it was before/after my cousins wedding that Benn attended

Last edited by jferguson: 07-24-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
iggyman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The only thing that makes sense is it is a typical Feaster move. Does not accept that he needs to rebuild and thinks he is a contender still.

Calgary does desperately need a centre though so that is why Bob suggested Calgary.

Feaster is stupid enough to think his draft picks aren't going to be top ten for years to come.
Flames havent had a pick under 9 since 1998 and havent had a pick under 5 since 1987. They have also had a winning record since the 03/04 season. A very injured Flames team barely missed the playoffs and they have improved a bit over the offseason. Our pick will be between 10-20 based on actual logic. Are things going to change just because you say they are?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:44 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
So you are claiming to be better connected than members of the MSM. I'll take my chances with the radio guys.

Fistric may not hold huge value but is certainly not a throw in. As for Bouwmeester he may be a top pairing guy on SOME teams but he does not bring enough to the table when his salary is taken into account and that is why his value is not what you would like it to be. Never in a million years would JBo be the centerpiece going back in a deal for Benn.
Just like Dubinsky wasn't going to be the main piece going back in a trade for Nash?

Elite players hardly ever return equivalent returns. That's why everybody wants them, they are hard to get and nearly impossible to replace.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Didn't Bob also say the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman12 View Post
Flames havent had a pick under 9 since 1998 and havent had a pick under 5 since 1987. They have also had a winning record since the 03/04 season. A very injured Flames team barely missed the playoffs and they have improved a bit over the offseason. Our pick will be between 10-20 based on actual logic. Are things going to change just because you say they are?
Problem with the Flames is that the rest of the Northwest improved too.
Flames were 15-6-3 vs the Northwest last season and I expect that will go down as the Avs, Wild and to a lesser extent the Oilers improve.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:22 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Problem with the Flames is that the rest of the Northwest improved too.
Flames were 15-6-3 vs the Northwest last season and I expect that will go down as the Avs, Wild and to a lesser extent the Oilers improve.
And the Flames didn't?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:35 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Still doubtful to make the playoffs. Could be a couple top 5 picks.
Coaching is the habs only major issue.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:44 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
Just like Dubinsky wasn't going to be the main piece going back in a trade for Nash?

Elite players hardly ever return equivalent returns. That's why everybody wants them, they are hard to get and nearly impossible to replace.
Nash requested a trade and named his options, Benn doesn't have that option. If 29 teams were bidding, the return would have been much bigger.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:45 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepanda View Post
my sources in my head are saying benn to vancouver pp4
pp4?

sweet jesus.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Didn't Bob also say the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray.
i would have to point out that no one knows who the oil will draft. they decide the morning of the draft. the oilers even after the announcement to the scouts... do not tell others until its oficial on the podium.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I don't agree with the bolded, per se.

I truly believe Weber signed the offer-sheet with the idea that Nashville wasn't going to step up to the plate with that kind of coin. And it's still pretty shocking to me that their ownership was able to do so even though it was the right move.

IMO, Shea Weber's prerogative is to play for a contending team. Sure the money is there, but he's going to get that offer anywhere he drifts to in this league. Philidelphia was a greener pasture to him and he bit on that opportunity.

As for your example of successful offer-sheets being a sign of them yielding negative results... although at the time, the Dustin Penner contract seemed rather inflated, it turned out very well for the team who signed him to it. He turned out to be an offensive catalyst in Edmonton and his trade in the final year of his contract yielded a similar return to the compensation that Anaheim had received.

And with teams like Florida inflating contracts and taking on high cap players just to hit the cap-floor, it wouldn't be surprising to see teams like them targeting middle-ground players from cap-heavy teams as an alternative. It would definitely make for a more interesting off-season.
in his time here he led the team in goals all the time, missed 2 games in 3 years (healthy scratched by macT) and played every line with a decent +/-. he was actually extremely consistent. slow compared to the rest of the tiny team but otherwise very good. also one of the funniest dry humors in the league. was worth every penny and we got klefbom with the pick

Old
07-25-2012, 01:11 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Well that's not going to end well.

Question for Dallas fans...

Team [A] signs Jamie Benn to an offer sheet of 5 years, worth $6 725 000, meaning the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Round Pick. What do the Stars do? I think they'd match.
This Dallas fan would match anything except the four 1st's option unless the term was absolutely ridiculous. 5 years isn't.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:48 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
This Dallas fan would match anything except the four 1st's option unless the term was absolutely ridiculous. 5 years isn't.
And no GM is stupid enough to throw out a 12+ year offer sheet or 7+M per on a guy like Benn. He's not worth that yet.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Bob Stauffer

Get it Right!

Nothing worse than having something attributed to you that is total BS!

A guy tweeted our show "Oilers Now" and said "did you here there is a rumour of an RFA Offer Sheet from a Canadian team for Jamie Benn.
I responded by saying that is way out there, had not heard that, but based on organizational need maybe Calgary who is weak at center might make sense.
Nonetheless I then reiterated, this was a completely unfounded rumour.

Take care.

Stauffer

Old
07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
So $90M over 15 years?

Something tells me Dallas ownership isn't going to let Vancouver get any of their players via offersheet.

Quote:

TOML
I'd do a Voracek offer, maybe $55M over 10 years. I can't see the Flyers not matching though.

Closed Thread