HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the flyers do next???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
  #151
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Apart from the NTC, trading Kimmo for a couple of picks makes no sense.

He comes off the books after this season and may resign short-term for 4M per. Kimmo playing on the 3rd pairing and special teams is still more valuable to this young team than a couple of picks (second rounders at best, I think).

Hartnell also has a NTC and will likely sign a new contract soon. Why would we trade away/let walk both of Giroux's wingers after all the success they had together last year?

Danny Briere? He is a heart and soul type of guy who is a great mentor for all the young talent - see Giroux, Couturier who all moved in with his family for some time...pass.

Some people on this board are already in panic mode before the season has even started and want to trade assets just for the sake of trading


Last edited by dats81: 07-25-2012 at 08:46 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
  #152
hXc Chris
Registered User
 
hXc Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
“@TylerRapsey: @BroadStBull What is your offer to land Bobby Ryan?” I'd give Read, Gus, a No. 1 and No. 2.

and the Ducks fans are turning their noses at Mez, Vor, plus picks?

I think this shows how desperate Flyers fans have been getting in the wake of Weber.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
  #153
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
I want Homer to sign Voracek and go for Semin or Doan if they can be had for a short term contract. I'd be okay with two years for Doan and 3 or 4 for Semin.

edit- My only concern with signing either of those two is how their cost would impact picking up a UFA defenseman next off season.


Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-25-2012 at 09:11 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:05 AM
  #154
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
There would be a lot of "hoping" with this defense. Timonen is notably getting slower. Coburn always does well in playoffs and everybody in the offseason says "its Coburns time for a beast season". Ill believe it when it happens. Grossmann is a solid top 4 guy who looked good before he was hurt. There are reasons he had problems in Dallas though. Meszaros was hurt all last year but he was good the year before. He is also just a #3-4 defender. Schenn had one good season out of 4. There is little evidence he will turn it around THIS season, but there is a chance. Gervias has always been a #6, while we have MAB who still is having concussion problems and Gus (who I like) but is still unknown (and Manning).

Thats what this defense is. All chance. Sadly Weber would have solidified the defense. Now that he isnt a Flyer, I do hope they take a look at #1 defenders out there such as Enstrom.People looked at our defense last season and said how bad it was. Now we have closely to the same exact defense that we were complaining with near the allstar break.
When was the last report Bourdon was still having issues? I hope he is able to recover fully.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  #155
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
When was the last report Bourdon was still having issues? I hope he is able to recover fully.
Bill Meltzer was speculating about it a couple of weeks ago in his blog.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
  #156
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
I have a radical idea

Sign Vora, extend Hartnell and Giroux and then do nothing.

We have so many people under 27 who should improve, let's allow them to grow and get better.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
  #157
SAINDON
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The First State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Agree re-sign Jake and chill. Ride this team in the season, and see what happens. I do not want to add through subtraction. We need bodies on defense, so trading them away is not ideal.

I would rather have Gus as the #6 than Gervais.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  #158
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I want Homer to sign Voracek and go for Semin or Doan if they can be had for a short term contract. I'd be okay with two years for Doan and 3 or 4 for Semin.

edit- My only concern with signing either of those two is how their cost would impact picking up a UFA defenseman next off season.
If you mean a #1 defenseman, we won't be getting it via free agency next summer. Enstrom and Edler are probably the best ones who could potentially be available, but I don't know much about them

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
  #159
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
You guys are lucky, most people seem to be forgetting that last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for you guys. Instead of struggling you were able to rebuild, with an influx of youth and still remain a contender.

Why not keep the process going and inquire to Columbus about a guy like Erixon? I'd be willing to bet he could be had for Draft picks, and he could develope and be paired with Luke Schenn for years to come.

While missing out on Weber and Suter must sting, you guys have the Luxury of being a contender, and not needing to go all in. Not signing Weber or Suter could be a blessing in disguise when it comes time to resign your youth.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  #160
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I have a radical idea

Sign Vora, extend Hartnell and Giroux and then do nothing.

We have so many people under 27 who should improve, let's allow them to grow and get better.
This. Stand pat homer.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
  #161
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,563
vCash: 500
The only free agent I would consider bringing in now would be Doan, but not at a crazy contract: 2-3 years at $4.5m, but I don't know if he would take that

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:31 AM
  #162
Defmincex13
Registered User
 
Defmincex13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Get ready for a Scheen-Sational season. Luke Scheen explodes this season!

If he has that grit and snarl that I seem to think Brayden has showed signs of last season. We may all ready have our best chance at getting our replacement to Pronger all ready on this team.

As a 26 year old Flyers fan since I was a kid we never really had a Dman that brought everything Pronger gave us for 2 seasons. Hatcher maybe?!?! But he was a shell of what he was pre lockout.

We were given a taste of what a player like Pronger does on the ice and how he dominates and controls the play. Hes noticed every damn shift hes out there.

For Both Pronger and us as fans we have been robbed of that now for at least last season and probably the next 2 seasons if he never had his head issues. When we saw Homer going after Weber it was a welcomed surprise but not something we saw coming. So as the days came and went this past week myself and hopefully others started seeing Weber in a Flyers Jersey for the next 14 years. That clearly came to a end yesterday.

A great attempt but another what could have been. We were given a taste of a true commanding shutdown stick it where the sun dont shine #1 dman with Pronger and missed out on the only guy who could fill that hole left open.

So I went and took at look at the UFA and even RFA's for the next 3 seasons. There are some nice Dmen but no one near that matches the very rare and valued characterist's of Pronger/Weber. Tons of skilled D, and hopefully there is one out there that can replace Kimmo after next season. But that would purely be a lateral move for the team, and that's a nod to Kimmo.

My point is I honestly think out best hopes are all ready on this roster in Luke Scheen and Coburn. If Coburn could somehow turn the 5 games a year that he turns into a nasty SOB into a whole year he could easily provide that snarl the D needs. We all know what im talking about haha, Coburn is the Bruce Banner of the Flyers. Someone just needs to keep him angry all season.

Time will tell on Luke Scheen but hes got the skills sets to be that player.

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:32 AM
  #163
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
people gotta stop with the Bouwmeester stuff. he's one of the most overpaid players in the league. the Gomez of defensemen. he's not worth anywhere near what's he's getting and would seriously hurt this team's cap.
The first part of that is probably right--Bouwmeester is overpaid by $1 million or so--but he isn't a bad player by any stretch, and he'd pretty comfortably be, at worst, the 3rd best defenseman on this team--depending on how Coburn and Timonen play.

His ability to soak up 24+ minutes a night would allow us to give Timonen some softer minutes--maybe allowing him to hit the post season at something north of 80 percent health.

I'm not saying he is worth acquiring at all costs--but he's a legitimate #2 defenseman. If we could get him for Mezsaros + a pick or secondary prospect, it might not be the worst idea in the world.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
  #164
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,408
vCash: 500
I say we need to let these kids develop. Try to make a huge splash next year in free agency or at the deadline. Corey Perry would look really pretty next to Giroux and Edler would look pretty on out back end. Also let's not forget a trade could be possible for one of the younger still developing dman. Gudbranson, Kulikov, any dman from Phoenix might become available, the market is always changing.

Also if Weber gets a NTC/NMC in his contract, I still think it isn't far-fetched to believe we could eventually see him in a Flyers jersey.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #165
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
The first part of that is probably right--Bouwmeester is overpaid by $1 million or so--but he isn't a bad player by any stretch, and he'd pretty comfortably be, at worst, the 3rd best defenseman on this team--depending on how Coburn and Timonen play.

His ability to soak up 24+ minutes a night would allow us to give Timonen some softer minutes--maybe allowing him to hit the post season at something north of 80 percent health.

I'm not saying he is worth acquiring at all costs--but he's a legitimate #2 defenseman. If we could get him for Mezsaros + a pick or secondary prospect, it might not be the worst idea in the world.
If I'm paying a defenseman $7m, I want more than just 25 points of offensive production no matter how solid defensively he is

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #166
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Still have cap space, so keep beating the free agent path for now.

Pursue Doan, Semin, and yes, even PK Subban. Why not?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
  #167
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I say we need to let these kids develop. Try to make a huge splash next year in free agency or at the deadline. Corey Perry would look really pretty next to Giroux and Edler would look pretty on out back end. Also let's not forget a trade could be possible for one of the younger still developing dman. Gudbranson, Kulikov, any dman from Phoenix might become available, the market is always changing.

Also if Weber gets a NTC/NMC in his contract, I still think it isn't far-fetched to believe we could eventually see him in a Flyers jersey.
I agree. just let this team develop

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  #168
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Also if Weber gets a NTC/NMC in his contract, I still think it isn't far-fetched to believe we could eventually see him in a Flyers jersey.
Yeah we might but I will suspect it will be 5-8 years too late and with much more mileage like we always get these waning stars. Ideal was to get him now in his prime..but no such luck. Preds didn't want to swallow their pride....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
  #169
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Apart from the NTC, trading Kimmo for a couple of picks makes no sense.

He comes off the books after this season and may resign short-term for 4M per. Kimmo playing on the 3rd pairing and special teams is still more valuable to this young team than a couple of picks (second rounders at best, I think).

Hartnell also has a NTC and will likely sign a new contract soon. Why would we trade away/let walk both of Giroux's wingers after all the success they had together last year?

Danny Briere? He is a heart and soul type of guy who is a great mentor for all the young talent - see Giroux, Couturier who all moved in with his family for some time...pass.

Some people on this board are already in panic mode before the season has even started and want to trade assets just for the sake of trading
Hartnell I can see staying...but the other two guys might actually want a chance to win a Stanley cup...something I don't think this roster has much of a chance of doing this year, and after KT goes it goes down much further.

If KT doesn't retire I have no idea why he would come back here...

achdumeingute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
  #170
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,408
vCash: 500
If the Coyotes do end up trading Yandle, how the hell do they plan of getting to the cap floor?? They already have 12 forwards signed and 8 defenseman signed, are they banking on it lowering for the new CBA? That is pretty risky IMO

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  #171
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 18,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I agree. just let this team develop
Crazy young team with a not good year from Bryz still got us to the 2nd round ain't so bad. Let Gus and MAB play and see what we have, sign Jake , and let's see what we got. Hope that 10 and 14 contnue on their playoffs perf and maybe look at Doan or Semin if their contracts are 3 years or less and around 5 mill cap hit.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
  #172
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I have a radical idea

Sign Vora, extend Hartnell and Giroux and then do nothing.

We have so many people under 27 who should improve, let's allow them to grow and get better.
You can extend Hartnell, but not Giroux. Has to be in last year of his deal.

And if we can get Doan, I want Doan. Big time.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
  #173
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic
 
Kevin Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 420
This entire situation and offer sheets in general the past few years have been completely frustrating.

1. Why don't the flyers finally make an effort to draft Defensemen and Goalies in the first round of the Draft, and actually build a core rather then via trade/offer sheet.

2. Believe it or not, the hate most of you have for Matt Carle blinds you to the fact that he was an offensive defensemen which we are going to miss on the back end...we need outlet passes, Matt Carle's offense will be missed on D.

3. We do not need forward offense. No need for Shane Doan, Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, Whoever else is the hot commodity this week. It's nice to have during the regular season and if someone can chip in goals during the playoffs then im for it, however come playoff time no one is scoring 6 goals a game...we need someone who can shut down Gaborik, Nash, Richards...Malkin, Crosby, Neal...someone who can clear the crease, keep guys to the outside and move the puck. We need a bigger puck moving defensemen that averages about 30 assists a year as well as a certified Shut down defensemen ( hard to find but easier if your looking for a 3-4 then a #1.) It may not be Shea Weber but it will be someone who can play 20+ minutes a game and preserve Timmonen for the playoffs.)

4. What the hell happened to everyone all crazy about Matt Read going into camp last year, i mean the guy was great for us and put up better then average numbers for a rookie last year and suddenly he's the big trading chip. The guy plays all positions including the point on the powerplay. The only way i'd move matt read is for a bonafied offensive defensemen under 35.

5. Why all the hate for Mez, he was hurt a lot last year but had some shining moments, i would keep Mez, he's an offensive mind larger body defensemen much like I described what we need...if his offensive numbers increase and he can stay healthy for us then thats a tremendous upgrade over last year.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
  #174
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
This entire situation and offer sheets in general the past few years have been completely frustrating.

1. Why don't the flyers finally make an effort to draft Defensemen and Goalies in the first round of the Draft, and actually build a core rather then via trade/offer sheet.

2. Believe it or not, the hate most of you have for Matt Carle blinds you to the fact that he was an offensive defensemen which we are going to miss on the back end...we need outlet passes, Matt Carle's offense will be missed on D.

3. We do not need forward offense. No need for Shane Doan, Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, Whoever else is the hot commodity this week. It's nice to have during the regular season and if someone can chip in goals during the playoffs then im for it, however come playoff time no one is scoring 6 goals a game...we need someone who can shut down Gaborik, Nash, Richards...Malkin, Crosby, Neal...someone who can clear the crease, keep guys to the outside and move the puck. We need a bigger puck moving defensemen that averages about 30 assists a year as well as a certified Shut down defensemen ( hard to find but easier if your looking for a 3-4 then a #1.) It may not be Shea Weber but it will be someone who can play 20+ minutes a game and preserve Timmonen for the playoffs.)

4. What the hell happened to everyone all crazy about Matt Read going into camp last year, i mean the guy was great for us and put up better then average numbers for a rookie last year and suddenly he's the big trading chip. The guy plays all positions including the point on the powerplay. The only way i'd move matt read is for a bonafied offensive defensemen under 35.

5. Why all the hate for Mez, he was hurt a lot last year but had some shining moments, i would keep Mez, he's an offensive mind larger body defensemen much like I described what we need...if his offensive numbers increase and he can stay healthy for us then thats a tremendous upgrade over last year.
I agree with all of this...however,

If we can get Doan, I think we should get Doan. What harm is there? He's a great guy to have.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  #175
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic
 
Kevin Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I agree with all of this...however,

If we can get Doan, I think we should get Doan. What harm is there? He's a great guy to have.
I like Shane Doan. I get the fact that he's a great leader, plays the game right, would be a good influence on our young forward crop, I wouldn't complain if we got him, however signing Shane Doan should not be our focus. I would not handicap our ability to get a defense upgrade just to sign him.

The Rangers are going to steamroll us again this year unless we address our biggest problem, Defense. We lost a great deal of our offense from our defensemen when Tampa signed Carle. Yandle would be a nice addition. However i still think we then need another defensive defensemen that can lead the team in hits and shut down other teams D.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.