HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will an ASG captain come from Columbus? And what of Nash?

Old
07-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Will an ASG captain come from Columbus? And what of Nash?

This is early, but meh, it's the offseason. May as well have fun speculating.

Given the format of the ASG that has been in place the past two seasons and likely will be again in 2013, the participating players vote on two captains, who then conduct the fantasy draft. Each of the past two years, all four players were captains of their respective NHL teams, and furthermore, a hometown player (Eric Stall, Carolina; Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa) was named one of the two captains.

So now we look at the Blue Jackets. If the "unwritten rule" (for lack of a better description) is that a hometown player is named captain, the easy slam-dunk choice *would* have been Rick Nash, but now he is in New York with the Rangers, so he is out.

Which leads into one question: Do you think Nash (provided he is named to the ASG) will be named a captain, just as a way to make his grand return to Columbus? (The ASG is before the Rangers' trip to Nationwide in April.) Obviously, he won't be the captain of the NYR, but this is about the fans, and it would be a way for the Columbus fans to welcome back a beloved former member of the franchise.

Turning back to Columbus for the other questions, who are our legit ASG players? Hard question to answer after last season, I know, especially given we had no ASG representatives, not even Nash himself. If any CBJ player is selected for the game, do the players vote him one of the ASG captains, regardless of whether or not he is the actual CBJ captain?

I have to admit, that given the past two ASGs, it would be embarrassing if we didn't have one of the captains, but given our franchise history, nothing would surprise me.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:42 AM
FANonymous

I know I've been mostly doom and gloom lately so this will sound harsher than I mean it to. I would not be surprised if the jackets don't have an allstar representative.

It really depends on how the upcoming season goes, but there's nobody on the team that screams obvious all-star. It will likely come down to ballot stuffing to get a cbj player into the ASG.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:54 AM
punk_o_holic

It could turn out that Murray is the Blue Jackets representing the team in the All Star in the Young Guns game. Although, who's to say Murray plays in the NHL this season.

Jack Johnson is the only player I can see making the All Star team. I would think the NHL would want some hometown players in the game. With the love Johnson is getting from the Jackets fans, I could see him getting a lot of fan votes. Fans of hosting teams tend to vote a lot more to get their players into the starting lineup. It would be cool if Prospal makes it as well. Heck, if we don't have the fan votes, I can see the NHL claiming a certain player did have a specific amount of votes just to get a Jacket in the game.

I love your idea of Nash becoming the captain for the East.

*If a lockout takes place, do we no longer have the All Star game or does it get pushed back until a new season starts?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
650X2

Put me in the who cares group.

What a ****** year for Columbus to host the AllStar game. lol

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:59 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
It could turn out that Murray is the Blue Jackets representing the team in the All Star in the Young Guns game. Although, who's to say Murray plays in the NHL this season.

Jack Johnson is the only player I can see making the All Star team. I would think the NHL would want some hometown players in the game. With the love Johnson is getting from the Jackets fans, I could see him getting a lot of fan votes. Fans of hosting teams tend to vote a lot more to get their players into the starting lineup. It would be cool if Prospal makes it as well. Heck, if we don't have the fan votes, I can see the NHL claiming a certain player did have a specific amount of votes just to get a Jacket in the game.

I love your idea of Nash becoming the captain for the East.

*If a lockout takes place, do we no longer have the All Star game or does it get pushed back until a new season starts?
Something sticks in my mind that the last time a lockout happened, the team getting the game was pushed back a couple of years. Which makes no sense since they only announce a year in advance. Maybe I'm thinking of the NBA.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Something sticks in my mind that the last time a lockout happened, the team getting the game was pushed back a couple of years. Which makes no sense since they only announce a year in advance. Maybe I'm thinking of the NBA.
Atlanta was originally supposed to have it during the lockout. Ended up having it in 2008.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:51 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Time to get over Rick Nash.

IF he makes the all-star team, cheer for him and every all-star.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Considering the starters get voted on by the fans, we could have several CBJ in the starting lineup if we do enough voting. The Senators had 4 voted in starters last season. Granted maybe 2 of them actually deserved it but I don't see it out of the question if there was enough of a voting drive and campaign to get a few people voted in from the team. I think we could get JMFJ and Vinny voted in.

In 2000, some people actually voted for Ron Tugnutt for president and he is Canadian. (I think I still have a vote Tugnutt t shirt somewhere) If anyone from the team reads this, a voting campaign for the all star game would be a good marketing push.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Let's piss off the Rangers and vote Dubinsky in.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Let's piss off the Rangers and vote Dubinsky in.
Love the idea.

I honestly think that Jack Johnson would be the guy, if this were the scenario, to captain one of the teams. At least we could all make "Team Johnson" puns

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:45 AM
WALLY

There is no way the NHL lets that weekend go on and the host team has NO representatives.

Either JJohnson or VProspal.

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
section 204

Let's piss off the entire league and vote Steve Mason in.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:49 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I hope they do away with the draft this year and come up with something else. But I'm sure that is unlikely.

BTW no to Nash as one of the captains if they do the draft again. In a way I hope he is not on the team.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Considering the starters get voted on by the fans, we could have several CBJ in the starting lineup if we do enough voting. The Senators had 4 voted in starters last season. Granted maybe 2 of them actually deserved it but I don't see it out of the question if there was enough of a voting drive and campaign to get a few people voted in from the team. I think we could get JMFJ and Vinny voted in.

In 2000, some people actually voted for Ron Tugnutt for president and he is Canadian. (I think I still have a vote Tugnutt t shirt somewhere) If anyone from the team reads this, a voting campaign for the all star game would be a good marketing push.
Can't see Columbus having enough fans who care enough to stuff the ballot boxes. Ottawa is Canada where hockey is a religion. Buckeye football is the religion here. While there may be a strong hockey contingent here, it's not large enough to have any impact with enough votes to put anyone on the All Star team. Only way any Cbus player makes it is if the NHL names one so the hosting team isn't embarrassed.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I hope they do away with the draft this year and come up with something else. But I'm sure that is unlikely.
Like what, Canada vs the rest of the world? That way we wouldn't have to respect one of the teams

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Can't see Columbus having enough fans who care enough to stuff the ballot boxes. Ottawa is Canada where hockey is a religion. Buckeye football is the religion here. While there may be a strong hockey contingent here, it's not large enough to have any impact with enough votes to put anyone on the All Star team.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
blahblah

My guess? JJ and yes they will probably make him a captain.

The more burning question, is Columbus going to try and stuff the ballot box?

I really have no idea who is going to step up from this team and make a push to get votes for the ASG. We are in uncharted territory.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Love that show.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Can't see Columbus having enough fans who care enough to stuff the ballot boxes. Ottawa is Canada where hockey is a religion. Buckeye football is the religion here. While there may be a strong hockey contingent here, it's not large enough to have any impact with enough votes to put anyone on the All Star team. Only way any Cbus player makes it is if the NHL names one so the hosting team isn't embarrassed.
I plan on getting at least 3 players into the game, thank you. And that may well mean forming voting coalitions, which I'm already working on.

Going into the season, the two biggest targets are Johnson and Wisniewski. Voting probably won't open until mid-November, as it has in past years, so we'll see how the first month of the season unfolds before expanding that list. See? We can expand lists, not sit on our hands and refuse!

After much consideration, I've also determined that our two write-in targets should be our own Vinny Prospal and previously our own Rostislav Klesla. I've gone into some detail about Klesla previously. Prospal's qualifications are as follows.
1) He plays for us, has 1,000 career games, and has never been an All-Star

More details to follow, of course. Just trust me when I say there will be some serious behind-the-scenes work. Right now, I'm figuring out what the probably benchmarks are for votes for a write-in candidate, and I think we stand a better chance than the "Vote for Rory" campaign.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
FANonymous

If JMFJ has a subpar season, are you guys still going to want to vote him into the game?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I plan on getting at least 3 players into the game, thank you. And that may well mean forming voting coalitions, which I'm already working on.
Good luck. I'm not even sure I want you too (not that my opinion matters, just conversation). My initial thoughts are that I would only want us to vote for those deserving. JJ is probably our best bet, but I want to see how our players are doing.

My other thought is that stuffing the ballot could create some player loyalty, so if you were going to stuff the box maybe one of the newer players might be a preferred target. Some of these guys might be honored to get voted in to play in front of their fans.

I have more random thoughts on it I haven't finished to conclusion.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
wahsnairb

JJ if he plays like he did for us and for USA this past season.. would love a JJ west vs Nash east for captains.

I agree you cheer for Nash as loud as you can. He is staying in Columbus to live during the offseason; he loved the city and did what he could with what he had and tried to be as classy as possible when asking to be moved. He was the only player to keep this team near relevant aside from 2 months of Mason.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good luck. I'm not even sure I want you too (not that my opinion matters, just conversation). My initial thoughts are that I would only want us to vote for those deserving. JJ is probably our best bet, but I want to see how our players are doing.

My other thought is that stuffing the ballot could create some player loyalty, so if you were going to stuff the box maybe one of the newer players might be a preferred target. Some of these guys might be honored to get voted in to play in front of their fans.

I have more random thoughts on it I haven't finished to conclusion.
I figure I've got close to four months to assess and deduce before actual voting starts. Who knows how injuries, ineffectiveness, or surprisingly solid play might change things. I won't say I'm absolutely determined on those two write-in candidates, but...

Let's not forget that Alexei Kovalev, in one of the worst years of his career, was still made a starter in Montreal in 2009.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Let's not forget that Alexei Kovalev, in one of the worst years of his career, was still made a starter in Montreal in 2009.
Doesn't mean we should follow that example.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
Hi Caps fan here. I will stuff the ballot box with Blue Jackets on your behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
Let's piss off the entire league and vote Steve Mason in.
I would also like to do this.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote