HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 09:17 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Bouwmeester has basically never made the playoffs in his entire NHL/Junior career. That sets off a few red flags.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:25 AM
OntOilFan

vCash: 500
I don't have time to fully argue this, but seriously, if you think Jay Bouwmeester sucks, you're mistaken.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 07-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Bouwmeester has basically never made the playoffs in his entire NHL/Junior career. That sets off a few red flags.
It's a team game.

I'm not exactly a fan of Bouwmeester's timid lion routine but he's solid positionally and a great puck mover. Calgary wouldn't think about moving him if it weren't for their proximity to the cap and perceived need to win this year.

He'd be a huge improvement to our d-corps.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I don't have time to fully argue this, but seriously, if you think Jay Bouwmeester sucks, you're mistaken.
I agree, we need a player like him on our blue line unless J. Schultz can be that guy.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 07-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
ales83fan

As long as he comes cheap, they guy is way better than Potter and Peckham. I'd add him tO our team for sure. I don't see Calgary just giving him away though...he's at least the third best guy on their team (IMO).

Old
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not ok with giving Calgary Teubert. The last thing I want is for him to be hitting our big four 6 times a year. He had 68 hits(10th on our team) in 24 games for us last season when he wasn't even NHL ready.
Meh. He might hit, but he's a pylon. I'd have no problem watching the big four posterize the guy.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Meh. He might hit, but he's a pylon. I'd have no problem watching the big four posterize the guy.
Teubert could easily turn into another Matt Greene. Especially if we trade him. We might get the better player for a few years, but whenever you come up against his team, you say "boy, wish we had a guy like that". I'm not sure if I'd deal Teubert for Bouwmeester or not, I'm just saying I like that Teubert brings something that not too many Oiler prospects bring, and that's the potential to be a punishing defenceman. I mean, say all the Oilers prospects work out, and you end up with this:

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
Marancin - Klefbom

I'm just saying that I'd like to see at least one punishing guy in there. So I wouldn't be too quick to give up on a guy like Teubert, who has all the tools and just needs to figure out the game.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
BowDangles

A couple thoughts on Jay Bo.

According to Bob Stauffer, Jay Bo played against the toughest competition night in and night out. This would explain why he had a terrible plus minus last year, that and he was on a terrible team...

Take this with a grain of salt but I thought I recall Jay Bo not wanting to come to Edmonton a while back? When he was a UFA maybe? He currently has a NTC and maybe his mind has changed because of the new look the Oilers have?

Anyway, I would give up a pick and prospect D for him, He might not be a top 2 dman anymore but he is still a top 4 defenseman and the cap hit doesn't really effect us right now...

Old
07-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
As long as he comes cheap, they guy is way better than Potter and Peckham. I'd add him tO our team for sure. I don't see Calgary just giving him away though...he's at least the third best guy on their team (IMO).
The problem being that he isn't cheap, and he makes butter look tough. Edmonton fans historically don't take kindly to over-expensive D-men who are softer than jello to play against.

Just say no to the J-Bo...having him come here would be a big mistake IMO.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Arpeggio

I wouldn't mind having Bouwmeester, I just don't think the Oilers should pay the price the Flames are likely asking for.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Joe Hallenback

I don't think people think he sucks he just isn't worth the money but then again so are alot of D men nowadays.

But that 6.68 cap hit for a guy who has 12 goals in the last 3 years and less the 30 points a season is overpay. Giordano is on a nice deal in Calgary and JayBo should be on the same type of contract. I haven't even mentioned he was -21 last year

Old
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Teubert could easily turn into another Matt Greene. Especially if we trade him. .
So what does this mean? That he needs to be dealt to become a Matt Greene?

Old
07-25-2012, 10:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not ok with giving Calgary Teubert. The last thing I want is for him to be hitting our big four 6 times a year. He had 68 hits(10th on our team) in 24 games for us last season when he wasn't even NHL ready. I'd prefer we try to go for Plante or if we must, one of Marincin or Gernat + 2nd for Bouwmeester. I like him in our top 4, even if he is almost 3M overpaid for 2 more years. But not at the price of a guy who could literally hurt us down the road.
I wouldn't worry about Teubert hitting the Oilers small forwards...I doubt very much he will ever be good enough to be on the ice against the other teams best players.

I really don't see much in his game that would have me concerned about trading him to a rival. I don't have a defensive prospect list in front of me but I would suggest that Tuebert would be well down that list and about to be passed by players this years draft. He is a borderline NHL player IMO and if he is the major part of a package to get J-Bo then its a no brainer.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I don't think people think he sucks he just isn't worth the money but then again so are alot of D men nowadays.

But that 6.68 cap hit for a guy who has 12 goals in the last 3 years and less the 30 points a season is overpay. Giordano is on a nice deal in Calgary and JayBo should be on the same type of contract. I haven't even mentioned he was -21 last year
If we were a cap tight team for the next two years than yes he would be a bad option because he makes too much money. But this is not the case..

Edmonton can afford players that are still good players just making too much money for their current contract... unless that contract exceeds the next two years..

I am all for Edmonton acquiring JayBo for cheap. I would never give up anything significant though. Picks and a B prospect is perfect.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Teubert could easily turn into another Matt Greene. Especially if we trade him.
Meaning that in about seven years he might be good enough to be a bottom pairing defender on a good team? That's a risk I'm willing to take.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
missedpicks

Peca's analysis of Jay Bouwmeester:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqof09PxEmM

Yes, he is fast, and yes he has the ability to be a decent playmaking defensemen. Peca may not know wtf he is talking about but the fact remains that Bouwmeester doesn't play with a physical side to his game. He would end up crucified by the fans as the next-coming of Penner in our D-corps. I really don't understand the bromance so many posters have with him and his $6.7M caphit for the next 2 years (which is damn near Weber's numbers somehow).

Wait for the right piece if we are going to commit to that type of contract.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedpicks View Post

Yes, he is fast, and yes he has the ability to be a decent playmaking defensemen. Peca may not know wtf he is talking about but the fact remains that Bouwmeester doesn't play with a physical side to his game. He would end up crucified by the fans as the next-coming of Penner in our D-corps. I really don't understand the bromance so many posters have with him and his $6.7M caphit for the next 2 years (which is damn near Weber's numbers somehow).

What's to commit? It's 2 years. There is no bromance, people just want less of the garbage that played on this team last year.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedpicks View Post

As other posters have pointed out, his caphit isn't much of a concern.

The only pitfall here is giving Calgary good pieces to speed along their inevitable re-build. I'm definitely not ok with giving them anything more than a 2nd round pick and a middling prospect for what will amount to 2 years of J-Bo.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's to commit? It's 2 years. There is no bromance, people just want less of the garbage that played on this team last year.
I agree with the bolded, but why replace it with more garbage that just costs more?

J-Bo will not help us IMO. We need better D for sure, but also more grit. It'd be better to get a balance of both no?

J-Bo doesn't do that for us. Sure he can do a decent pass or two, but only if no opposing player is pressuring him in any way. If a guy like Peca goes on national TV to say the guy is easy to play against, and that teams look forward to playing against him - no thanks to acquiring him...especially at 6.8 million a year.

There's a reason that even Feaster doesn't want him...think about that for a second or two. Do we really want to take on Calgary's castoffs? Not only that, but i can't see J-Bo magically becoming the player that he's been hyped to be for the past 6-7 years. He is what he is...overpayed, overhyped and scared of contact.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
So what does this mean? That he needs to be dealt to become a Matt Greene?
What I said was that if the Oilers trade him, just like they traded Matt Greene, there's a possibility that we hear the same things about Teubert that we now hear about Matt Greene. And for the record I still support the Greene/Stoll for Visnovsky deal. All I'm saying is that I see the value in keeping Teubert in the organization, because he can fill a need if he develops properly.

And in response to Moose, Matt Greene has been a very solid defenceman for four years now, basically since he stepped in Los Angeles. Teubert has more tools than Greene did, I don't think we'll be waiting seven years if Teubert ever does pan out.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
What I said was that if the Oilers trade him, just like they traded Matt Greene, there's a possibility that we hear the same things about Teubert that we now hear about Matt Greene. And for the record I still support the Greene/Stoll for Visnovsky deal. All I'm saying is that I see the value in keeping Teubert in the organization, because he can fill a need if he develops properly.

And in response to Moose, Matt Greene has been a very solid defenceman for four years now, basically since he stepped in Los Angeles. Teubert has more tools than Greene did, I don't think we'll be waiting seven years if Teubert ever does pan out.
Greene was actually in the NHL though.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Joe Hallenback

Mike Peca hits the nail on the head with JayBo. I have always said with the way alot of fans view the game if you skate fast and look pretty doing it people will love you even if you don't actually contribute to a team winning.

JayBo has won next to nothing in the NHL and yet people want him on this team.

Then you got people like Guymez slaggin on Teubert probably the exact way he slagged on Greene probably the exact way he slagged on Smith.

Sorry give me a warrior with heart over do nothing look pretties

Old
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Greene was actually in the NHL though.
Greene got his first 20+ game season at 22 years old. Teubert was 21 last year and played 24 games. Which I was shocked by, I didn't even realize he was in the lineup so much last season.

Both players actually had strikingly similar statlines for their first season. Greene played 27 games, Teubert played 24, and Greene was a -6 while Teubert was a -5.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I agree with the bolded, but why replace it with more garbage that just costs more?

J-Bo will not help us IMO. We need better D for sure, but also more grit. It'd be better to get a balance of both no?

J-Bo doesn't do that for us. Sure he can do a decent pass or two, but only if no opposing player is pressuring him in any way.
I find it really difficult to believe that adding a 25 minute a night, tough assignment defender wouldn't help the Oilers simply because he's not "gritty" enough.

As for finding a guy who can play lots of minutes in every situation and bring a high level of grit, well, that'll cost you about $100 million these days.

Quote:
There's a reason that even Feaster doesn't want him...think about that for a second or two.
Should we put our trust in Jay Feaster's ability to evaluate players?

Quote:
Do we really want to take on Calgary's castoffs? Not only that, but i can't see J-Bo magically becoming the player that he's been hyped to be for the past 6-7 years. He is what he is...overpayed, overhyped and scared of contact.
He might be all those things but he's still better than just about anything else on the Oilers and if he's on the market, it's worth exploring. If he came to Edmonton, he'd be playing with more talent than he's seen at any point in his career: I have little doubt he'd show better than he has so far.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
What I said was that if the Oilers trade him, just like they traded Matt Greene, there's a possibility that we hear the same things about Teubert that we now hear about Matt Greene.
It's possible, but hardly a given.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that I see the value in keeping Teubert in the organization, because he can fill a need if he develops properly.
That's the rub: these guys seldom develop in a straight line. Two seasons ago, lots of people were talking up Peckham for the same role you're expecting Tuebert to fill now.

Quote:
And in response to Moose, Matt Greene has been a very solid defenceman for four years now, basically since he stepped in Los Angeles.
A solid bottom pairing defenceman. Yeah those guys have value, but they aren't uncommon.

Quote:
Teubert has more tools than Greene did, I don't think we'll be waiting seven years if Teubert ever does pan out.
Point is, is Teubert really so special a prospect that he's untouchable? We have other players in the system with higher ceilings than him (ie. Musil).

Closed Thread