HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Next Captain?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
RJs last 15 games makes me all the more furious about what happened the first 65.

That wasn't a slump. That was a guy who wasn't that good to begin with taking half assing it.

In the pantheon of bad Howson moves, giving a 4th liner a 4.5 million dollar AAV extension doesn't get nearly the mention it should. Capn should complain about it more.
I'm guessing this will enflame Viqsi even more than calling him a 3rd.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:41 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I don't think Umberger was dogging it, he had a slump. It happens in sports. I don't know if RJ gets the C, but he is a serious candidate
It was also mentioned after the season that he played through a few injuries, not the least of which was a broken finger.

There's probably a little more to it than just a 'slump', IMO.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:52 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

I think the players should just vote on it. If they pick JJ even though he's only played 20 games, more power to him. I also like the idea of rotating A's through the first half.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
JMFJcbj

C: Jack Johnson
A: Dorse
A: Vinny

JMFJcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Stretch Factor

Honestly, I couldn't care less who the captain is. But, make them earn it. The days of mgmt/coaches naming the captain should be over. If someone rises up out of "The Lunch Pail Gang" give him the C, if not, wait til someone does.
Like others have written, wait til at least Christmas, then let the players decide. It will mean more that way.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
RJs last 15 games makes me all the more furious about what happened the first 65.

That wasn't a slump. That was a guy who wasn't that good to begin with taking half assing it.

In the pantheon of bad Howson moves, giving a 4th liner a 4.5 million dollar AAV extension doesn't get nearly the mention it should. Capn should complain about it more.
Wow... as for team Captain he has a chance but slim.. His game went downhill after the soccer match in the halls of Nationwide..that said, he's a decent third liner on most teams. (second on the CBJ for the time being). Back on topic....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Sort it out in September. There are several candidates and we just need to sit back and see who emerges.
This. Make someone earn it.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Sammy, Sammy, Sammy. Why do you do these things? You know that I'm going to have to hurt you now, and really that's hurting us both. I know you're better than that, Sammy, and really, it pains me, deep down, to have to resort to these things. But you keep just... acting out in this manner. And we just can't have that.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
This.

And leesmith: Prospal can speak both heavily accented English and fluent Russian.
Really? I thought that He spoke Czech and English, with Czech covering Slovak, Polish, but not Russian.

Or did I miss the joke?

07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
punk_o_holic

For this season, I would rotate the C every month like how Atlanta(think it was them) did. Whoever had the best month would become the captain the upcoming month. No player can be a captain for 2 straight months. Then next season, name a someone the full time captain.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
For this season, I would rotate the C every month like how Atlanta(think it was them) did. Whoever had the best month would become the captain the upcoming month. No player can be a captain for 2 straight months. Then next season, name a someone the full time captain.
I think Richards did some thing like that when he was with the Wild. But I really don't see a reason of doing this, just go with three rotating A's.

07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Really? I thought that He spoke Czech and English, with Czech covering Slovak, Polish, but not Russian.

Or did I miss the joke?
Prospal grew up at the time when in every Eastern European country kids had to learn Russian in school. Spacek and Jagr can speak pretty decent Russian.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
The days of mgmt/coaches naming the captain should be over...
Like others have written, wait til at least Christmas, then let the players decide. It will mean more that way.
it is my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the role of the captain in hockey is unlike that of other sports. In most, the position is mostly honorary and inspirational, with no more onerous duties than calling the coin flip and keeping emotion flowing, as needed. In hockey, along with the usual locker room speechifying, the captain has specific on-ice responsibilities relating to contact with the officials. As well, though, there seems to be a role as a go-between for the coaches and management that doesn't appear to be as prominent in other sports. Seems that, in hockey much more than elsewhere, management has an investment in the captaincy as a bridge to the players. That, to me, explains why management plays a greater role in the selection of the captain, rather than just allowing it to represent a popularity contest among the players.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
A: Vaclav Prospal, Derek Dorsett, James Wisniewski, and Richard Umberger

---
C: DSL
A: Samkow, CapnCornelius

Sorry wooten. Your identity crisis doesn't inspire leadership

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
++. A total garbage contract.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
A: Vaclav Prospal, Derek Dorsett, James Wisniewski, and Richard Umberger

---
C: DSL
A: Samkow, CapnCornelius

Sorry wooten. Your identity crisis doesn't inspire leadership
If that happens I'm demanding a trade, and I have an NTC.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
who are you again?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
davidbklyn

Vinny

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:11 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
it is my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that the role of the captain in hockey is unlike that of other sports. In most, the position is mostly honorary and inspirational, with no more onerous duties than calling the coin flip and keeping emotion flowing, as needed. In hockey, along with the usual locker room speechifying, the captain has specific on-ice responsibilities relating to contact with the officials. As well, though, there seems to be a role as a go-between for the coaches and management that doesn't appear to be as prominent in other sports. Seems that, in hockey much more than elsewhere, management has an investment in the captaincy as a bridge to the players. That, to me, explains why management plays a greater role in the selection of the captain, rather than just allowing it to represent a popularity contest among the players.
That's mine too.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Yeah, that's my understanding too, but given that the next Captain could/should be around longer than the current coach/mgmt team, I don't want them screwing this up and picking their "yes" man.

I really see this team as the Lunch Pail Gang and I want the leader to emerge rather than be anointed. We've anointed leaders in the past and the record is dismal.

I honestly believe we finally have a team that is close to Year 1 in terms of "all for one, one for all", but now with some skill to go with it. I'm excited about the group and I think they should select a leader they can all get behind.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Weston

C - Wiz or Prospal
A - JJ
A - Wiz or Prospal

Don't understand why everyone thinks that a dude that's only played 20~ games with us will get the C. I love JMFJ, but I don't think we'll just give out the C to someone picked up at the deadline that's happy to be here.

Weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:55 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston View Post
C - Wiz or Prospal
A - JJ
A - Wiz or Prospal

Don't understand why everyone thinks that a dude that's only played 20~ games with us will get the C. I love JMFJ, but I don't think we'll just give out the C to someone picked up at the deadline that's happy to be here.
I'd like to see three As rotate between JJ, Vinny, RJ, Wiz, and Dorsett. Maybe Dubisnky and Aucoin if they establish themselves as leaders.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Prospal grew up at the time when in every Eastern European country kids had to learn Russian in school. Spacek and Jagr can speak pretty decent Russian.
Thanks. My error. I should have known better.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
ndd17
Hate the rags

C-Umberger. A-Wiz and Prospal.

ndd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
It was Minnesota in the early days.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote