HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New arena possibly?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Jopsey

vCash: 500
New arena possibly?

I know you guys play at the Staples Center along with the Clippers and Lakers, but has there ever been talk of building an arena just for the Kings?

This is me just asking because i'm curious lol.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:40 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

AEG owns the Kings, the building and a minority share in the Lakers I think. Plus, the building has only been open since '99. So I doubt it.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
I know you guys play at the Staples Center along with the Clippers and Lakers, but has there ever been talk of building an arena just for the Kings?

This is me just asking because i'm curious lol.
The guy who owns the Kings pretty much built Staples with his own cash.. So
doubt if he will move Kings will be moving any time soon.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:06 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Yeah Kings owners own the building and all the land around it. So clippers would be 1st to move. But I would love for both lakers and Clippers to move so we can have our own building and fill it up with some of our own banners.

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
Yeah Kings owners own the building and all the land around it. So clippers would be 1st to move. But I would love for both lakers and Clippers to move so we can have our own building and fill it up with some of our own banners.
That's not going to happen because as KopitarFAN stated above AEG group owns a minority interest in the Lakers.

So at the very least the Kings and the Lakers will always share Staples as long as AEG owns both teams.

And given that the Clippers have a long-term lease with AEG group, have been there since Staples has opened, and have been exemplary tenants, and now they have a real good team, I sincerely doubt they are going anywhere as well.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I know the Lakers have been the big draw, but I've always considered it the Kings building. AEG owns it and, most importantly, the purple of the seats is closer to the Kings purple than the Laker's purple.

So the seat color settles it. The question should be if they will build an arena for the Lakers

All kidding aside, the Clippers are the guy living in the garage to help bring our rent down that we have to hide from the landlord. They would be the first to go but there is no appetite to build a comparable arena just for the Clippers.

As much as the crazy weekend at Staples during this years playoffs was a pain in the ass, mainly because of the bike race and the Kings getting the shaft as far as scheduling, the buzz it drew was tremendous for the LA sports scene. I mean, it was THE sports story of that weekend and had never been seen before. Pretty damn unique.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I know the Lakers have been the big draw, but I've always considered it the Kings building. AEG owns it and, most importantly, the purple of the seats is closer to the Kings purple than the Laker's purple.

So the seat color settles it. The question should be if they will build an arena for the Lakers

All kidding aside, the Clippers are the guy living in the garage to help bring our rent down that we have to hide from the landlord. They would be the first to go but there is no appetite to build a comparable arena just for the Clippers.

As much as the crazy weekend at Staples during this years playoffs was a pain in the ass, mainly because of the bike race and the Kings getting the shaft as far as scheduling, the buzz it drew was tremendous for the LA sports scene. I mean, it was THE sports story of that weekend and had never been seen before. Pretty damn unique.
You know what was brutal?

Having to get there at 9 a.m. in the morning of the bike race and game, just to wait 3 hours for the game to start.

And of course, the worst game the Kings played all playoffs.

What else was brutal were the early start times for the SCF. Parking was horrid and L.A. Live was a zoo. Lesson learned. Perhaps I will get a hotel room at the Marriott next year and just hang out at L.A. Live for a few days.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:34 AM
onlyalad

Maybe if they build Farmers Field and don't get a football team, we can have outdoor hockey all season.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Maybe if they build Farmers Field and don't get a football team, we can have outdoor hockey all season.
Or move the Lakers & Clippers to Farmers Field. Hell, they could even play 2 simultaneous games next to each other.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You know what was brutal?

Having to get there at 9 a.m. in the morning of the bike race and game, just to wait 3 hours for the game to start.

And of course, the worst game the Kings played all playoffs.
To be fair, you HAD to be expecting that. They play badly when the start time is 1PM. Noon certainly wasn't going to be better.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Perro

Staples is one of the best rinks in the league. They'll be there for the next 40 years at least.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Or move the Lakers & Clippers to Farmers Field. Hell, they could even play 2 simultaneous games next to each other.
The thought of outdoor NBA games in LA is an idea I would love to see happen!

Quote:
Staples is one of the best rinks in the league. They'll be there for the next 40 years at least.
The arena, yes, the ice in said arena, not so much...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
To be fair, you HAD to be expecting that. They play badly when the start time is 1PM. Noon certainly wasn't going to be better.
I only partially expected it...after all, their previous noon start was a different animal. It was a playoff game, and it was a win over St. Louis.

As a matter of fact, before THAT game, I was expecting a poor performance, and a quiet crowd. However, the Kings played better than the Blues, and the crowd was the loudest I have ever heard...including games 3 and 6 of the SCF.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
With all due respect, I have heard complaints on these boards and from television announcers about the ice in every single rink in the NHL, save Edmonton's, which always earns high praise.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
As a matter of fact, before THAT game, I was expecting a poor performance, and a quiet crowd. However, the Kings played better than the Blues, and the crowd was the loudest I have ever heard...including games 3 and 6 of the SCF.
I was at that St. Louis game. I 100% agree it was the loudest game ever in that building that I've been to. Louder than any of the 3 SCF games. Louder than the 2001 Frenzy on Fig. In particular when Brown was about to score (and then scored) the EN goal to ice it. Loudest moment in any game I've ever been to.

Probably due to the shock that they actually won an afternoon game .

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I was at that St. Louis game. I 100% agree it was the loudest game ever in that building that I've been to. Louder than any of the 3 SCF games. Louder than the 2001 Frenzy on Fig. In particular when Brown was about to score (and then scored) the EN goal to ice it. Loudest moment in any game I've ever been to.

Probably due to the shock that they actually won an afternoon game .
For sure.

It may also have been due to the fact it was the Kings' first-ever sweep and/or that it vaulted them into the WCF.

But I was really amazed how loud an afternoon crowd at Staples could get.

I remember quite clearly my son and I going for an early dinner at King Taco after the game...that was when he told me "I can't see anyone beating them, they are going all the way." Clearly, my son doesn't believe in jinxes.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
AEG likes having all three teams under the same roof at their own venue. They will like it even more when the football team moves in. They want to attract as many people as possible to LA Live. I don't think there is a chance in hell they would move the Kings to a new arena.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
The thought of outdoor NBA games in LA is an idea I would love to see happen!

Me too, there is a vacant lot behind me house. All they need to do is put down some blacktop and stripe it.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
With all due respect, I have heard complaints on these boards and from television announcers about the ice in every single rink in the NHL, save Edmonton's, which always earns high praise.
True and I'm not saying it's the worst, just saying that there's room for improvement and a change to less events and less change overs on the rink per year would improve it. It's a new building and you hear more complaints than quite a few places. No where near as many as say MSG, or Prudential, but still a fair amount.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote