HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM
  #751
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
like I said, Bettman will bail them out
They'll pull an NBA stunt for them where Bettman and the league will take the Preds into receivership rig the lottery so they get the number 1 and then sell the team....wouldn't surprise me

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  #752
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
like I said, Bettman will bail them out
So, instead of too big to fail (banks) the NHL has too small to fail?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 10:45 AM
  #753
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers
 
chinatown81592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Country: China
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
They'll pull an NBA stunt for them where Bettman and the league will take the Preds into receivership rig the lottery so they get the number 1 and then sell the team....wouldn't surprise me
Preds would still have to reach an agreement to trade their superstar to LA and then the league would need to void it. Then they have to trade him to another LA team oh wait.....

chinatown81592 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
  #754
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 500
Maybe if the new CBA has a different rule on trading players who sign an offer sheet, could he be traded then if the new CBA allows it??

Also it seems Weber won't even be at his own press conference, I hope it doesn't get messy in Nashville, but I feel like it will.

Prongo is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
  #755
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Maybe if the new CBA has a different rule on trading players who sign an offer sheet, could he be traded then if the new CBA allows it??
so, since the contract was signed under the old CBA rules

RJ8812 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 10:52 AM
  #756
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,060
vCash: 500
so = no

RJ8812 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
  #757
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Yup..I characterized Nashville's decision to match as stubborn pride as well...from a business standpoint..pure hubris. Good luck trying to hold their head above the water as they sink into the bathtub of insolvency...glub...glub. They won the battle but will prolly lose the war unless the league and Buttman save them which I'm sure they will attempt to do so.

Quote:
The bigger question was -- and frankly, still is -- whether matching the offer sheet would be the right business move apart from the hockey and PR facets of doing it. All along, I thought the best strategy (for both sides) would have been to work out a trade in exchange for a no-match on the offer sheet.

It is no longer the Flyers' concern that the Predators are on the hook for $33 million to TWO players alone ($26 million to Weber and $7 million to Pekka Rinne) in the next 11 months with up to 12 free agents to re-sign or replace next summer. Even if there is no hockey played next season, Weber would still collect $25 million of it in the form of guaranteed signing bonuses.

The already money-losing Predators' pride just got themselves into an almost impossible fiscal mess, with the situation a lock to get worse before it gets better. They made that choice by matching the offer sheet rather than seeking a reasonable trading solution with Philadelphia that would have kept Nashville at least solidly in the hunt for a playoff spot while adding draft pick assets and not tying their hands financially for at least six years to come.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...tlook/45/45784

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
  #758
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Maybe if the new CBA has a different rule on trading players who sign an offer sheet, could he be traded then if the new CBA allows it??

Also it seems Weber won't even be at his own press conference, I hope it doesn't get messy in Nashville, but I feel like it will.
The new CBA could affect existing contracts just like after the lockout.

35NW8ING is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  #759
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
The new CBA could affect existing contracts just like after the lockout.
darn, I figured but was just trying to hold on to some hope

Prongo is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  #760
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
The new CBA could affect existing contracts just like after the lockout.
If cap hit becomes tied to actual annual salary instead of average value that makes the Weber contract pretty funny.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
  #761
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
How about this Coburn was drafted #8 overall in 2003, Weber #49 overall in 2003.
Not only that. Weber was the 3rd defenseman taken by Nashville that year. Suter and Klein were taken before him!!!

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
  #762
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
If cap hit becomes tied to actual annual salary instead of average value that makes the Weber contract pretty funny.

Damaged Goods is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  #763
Chiquito
Registered User
 
Chiquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Wow. Nashville going to go bankrupt. lol from what I've seen on their board; 27mil is basically a third of their revenue.
Your first problem... Don't believe what you read on the board. Nashille owners are billionaires.... They can weather a few million for a few years.

Chiquito is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
  #764
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Not only that. Weber was the 3rd defenseman taken by Nashville that year. Suter and Klein were taken before him!!!
I'd be interested to see the Shea Weber scouting report before that draft.

Can anyone find a link?

El Emperor is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
  #765
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
I'd be interested to see the Shea Weber scouting report before that draft.

Can anyone find a link?
I'm not sure about this, but I think he was injured his whole draft year. If he wasn't he would have been a top 15 pick.

Prongo is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  #766
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I think he was injured his whole draft year. If he wasn't he would have been a top 15 pick.
No he played 70 regular season games and 19 playoff games that year. I'm guessing he was a bit of a project. Not filled out. Undeveloped offensive game.

edit: found a scouting report
Quote:
A very strong skater both forward and backward… smooth powerful stride… very good agility and mobility… confident in his skating ability and plays a very tight gap… solid defensive player who seldom joins the rush… hard and accurate first pass… sees the ice well… very poised and doesn’t panic with the puck… has a quick accurate wrist shot from the point along with a heavy slap shot… used on the penalty kill and effective when given the opportunity on the power play… an aggressive hard-nosed player who excels in a physical contest… competes hard and wins most battles for loose pucks in the defensive zone… makes opposing forwards pay a price for standing in front of his net.

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  #767
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No he played 70 regular season games and 19 playoff games that year. I'm guessing he was a bit of a project. Not filled out. Undeveloped offensive game.
This.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
  #768
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No he played 70 regular season games and 19 playoff games that year. I'm guessing he was a bit of a project. Not filled out. Undeveloped offensive game.

edit: found a scouting report
Hmmm... kinda makes you think. Could the Flyers benefit from making a trade leaving room for a "project" on that defensive corps?

The downside to a team refusing to rebuild is that it's rare that "projects" get a chance to grow in the NHL unless there are injuries.

El Emperor is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
  #769
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
No he played 70 regular season games and 19 playoff games that year. I'm guessing he was a bit of a project. Not filled out. Undeveloped offensive game.

edit: found a scouting report
Hmm, Some nashville fan told me he missed the entire draft year, that's why I said I wasn't sure.

Prongo is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
  #770
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Maybe if the new CBA has a different rule on trading players who sign an offer sheet, could he be traded then if the new CBA allows it??

Also it seems Weber won't even be at his own press conference, I hope it doesn't get messy in Nashville, but I feel like it will.
just fyi, Weber will be be at the press conference via telephone(as will Trotz). As big a deal as this is, no real need to fly back to Nashville from Kelowna... its not like he needs to be introduced to the nashville market.

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  #771
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori
 
Mkoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Finland
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
Your first problem... Don't believe what you read on the board. Nashille owners are billionaires.... They can weather a few million for a few years.
So since you are posting on the board, we shouldnt believe this either then.

Mkoll is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
  #772
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Yup..I characterized Nashville's decision to match as stubborn pride as well...from a business standpoint..pure hubris. Good luck trying to hold their head above the water as they sink into the bathtub of insolvency...glub...glub. They won the battle but will prolly lose the war unless the league and Buttman save them which I'm sure they will attempt to do so.
I know this is your board but if you will permit a response.. from the preds standpoint matching was the lesser of two evils.

To survive long term, the Preds HAD to eventually shake the perception that they are a perpetual penny-pinching farm club whose great players always leave when they reach free agency. Not matching the Weber offer sheet(or getting a Lindros-like return for him in trade, which Holmgren wasnt giving) would have been tantamount to admitting defeat, and would have made it very hard to promote the team to the community.

With Brett Wilson and Warren Woo on board, the cash is there... it will be a rough couple of years but not impossible, and we have a lot of cheap young talent that is already signed for the next two to three years that will keep us competitve even if we cant sign another big $$ free agent for a couple of years

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  #773
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I know this is your board but if you will permit a response.. from the preds standpoint matching was the lesser of two evils.

To survive long term, the Preds HAD to eventually shake the perception that they are a perpetual penny-pinching farm club whose great players always leave when they reach free agency. Not matching the Weber offer sheet(or getting a Lindros-like return for him in trade, which Holmgren wasnt giving) would have been tantamount to admitting defeat, and would have made it very hard to promote the team to the community.

With Brett Wilson and Warren Woo on board, the cash is there... it will be a rough couple of years but not impossible, and we have a lot of cheap young talent that is already signed for the next two to three years that will keep us competitve even if we cant sign another big $$ free agent for a couple of years
Hey man..comment is free so I have no gripe with your input especially since it's civil unlike us Flyers fans. Also I have no admin powers to filter or gag you

If I'm that ownership group...I'm thinking long term and to me staying in that market is not viable. Yeah they may have bought themselves some time and retained some value in their depreciating asset by keeping a legit franchise player in Weber and then of course having Rinne..but I would be looking to sell eventually to some private equity group with big play money. I think that is there plan. I hope Weber likes being part of an organization that is on the bubble and essentially engaged in perception management for the time being while having Poile actually managing within even tighter constraints something he doesn't seem very adept at. The way he's handled the Suter and Weber free agencies has been outright pathetic. Him and Howson seem pretty inept to me and although they have to deal with various limitations in managing a small market team..their own mental limitations seem pretty egregious.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
  #774
4thline4life
The Mased God
 
4thline4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n philly
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
i think nash really needed schenn or couts to make it up to their fan base. i don't blame holmgren for saying no to that just as i don't blame nashville for matching. i don't think nashville will be hurting too bad if they stay competitive which they will be with weber and rinne.

4thline4life is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
  #775
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Hey man..comment is free so I have no gripe with your input especially since it's civil unlike us Flyers fans. Also I have no admin powers to filter or gag you

If I'm that ownership group...I'm thinking long term and to me staying in that market is not viable. Yeah they may have bought themselves some time and retained some value in their depreciating asset by keeping a legit franchise player in Weber and then of course having Rinne..but I would be looking to sell eventually to some private equity group with big play money. I think that is there plan. I hope Weber likes being part of an organization that is on the bubble and essentially engaged in perception management for the time being while having Poile actually managing within even tighter constraints something he doesn't seem very adept at. The way he's handled the Suter and Weber free agencies has been outright pathetic. Him and Howson seem pretty inept to me and although they have to deal with various limitations in managing a small market team..their own mental limitations seem pretty egregious.

the main ownership group is nashville natives who bought the team specifically to keep them from being relocated.

they thought they had their rainmaker/billionaire partner in Boots DelBiaggio but obviously he didnt pan out.

Now they have Brett Wilson who has apparently increased his stake in the team and has lots of "play money" and is apparently willing to spend it on a team in Nashville. So as long as the principal owners are the Nashville locals, I dont think they will be selling to anyone who might move the team. if they decide to bail I suspect Wilson would buy them and keep them right where they are.

And we will just have to disagree on poile... he's done quite well given how his hands are frequently tied either by the teams budget(in the past) or by players who keep changing their demands(Suter, Weber)

PredsV82 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.