HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE MOTHER****ING STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!! Top Prospects Poll (Prospect #1)

View Poll Results: Who is the Kings #1 prospect
Tyler Toffoli 62 75.61%
Derek Forbort 4 4.88%
Tanner Pearson 2 2.44%
Christopher Gibson 0 0%
Andrei Loktionov 13 15.85%
Jake Muzzin 0 0%
Thomas Hickey 1 1.22%
Nick Shore 0 0%
Andy Andreoff 0 0%
Linden Vey 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2012, 11:02 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
THE MOTHER****ING STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!! Top Prospects Poll (Prospect #1)

Well, time to kick off the legit list of top prospects from people who clearly know the best

Vote for your pick on the top prospect for the Kings, and reply with who you want added to the poll as well.

Additionally, I have elected to leave both Jonathan Bernier and Viatcheslav Voynov off the list, as it seems pretty clear cut they are now NHL regulars.

I will be leaving Bud Holloway available for the list (assuming he is voted to be added to the poll), but I would like your input as to whether or not to include Dwight King, Jordan Nolan and Oscar Mollar on the list. None should warrant being our top pick anyways, so post in here if you consider them prospects or not. If you do, feel free to vote to have them added to the poll. They all meet HF's criteria for being labelled as prospects I believe, but a case can be made for all three as not being prospects anymore.

Here's a link to HF's prospect criteria for those who want to do some reading on the matter: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Toffoli is the obvious choice. I would leave King, Nolan, and Loktionov on the list, graduate Bernier and Voynov, but also would probably graduate both Moller and Holloway. They are both apart of the organization in name only through active rights. Either we trade their rights or they don't exist for us at all. They remind me of Melyakov and Lyubushin, we still hold the active rights for both of these players overseas, but they are never talked about, because there is no chance they would ever play for us.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
jimmy1100

Gotta be Toffoli!

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Voted Loki... But now that I think about it all three of Loktionov, King, and Nolan are highly likely to graduate about 10 games into this season so including them seems kind of moot at this point... I'd say include Holloway but perhaps not Moller (NHL games played...) Any chance I can change my vote to Toffoli?

Add Jones.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Toffoli is the obvious choice. I would leave King, Nolan, and Loktionov on the list, graduate Bernier and Voynov, but also would probably graduate both Moller and Holloway. They are both apart of the organization in name only through active rights. Either we trade their rights or they don't exist for us at all. They remind me of Melyakov and Lyubushin, we still hold the active rights for both of these players overseas, but they are never talked about, because there is no chance they would ever play for us.
This is true but I'd put at the very least King and Nolan in that graduated category with Bernier and Voinov. They are really only a couple of games shy of the 65 needed to be off the list and both likely have spots locked in on the opening night roster.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
This is true but I'd put at the very least King and Nolan in that graduated category with Bernier and Voinov. They are really only a couple of games shy of the 65 needed to be off the list and both likely have spots locked in on the opening night roster.
Perhaps, but they still have only played 26 regular season games with us, only 46 if you include the playoffs, and as much as the spots are theirs to lose, we are stocked up on forwards, and it wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever if say Clifford got a fourth line spot ahead of Nolan. They are still variables. For all we know The top 3 lines end up:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
Penner-Stoll-Lewis

So now it is a melee between Westgarth, Fraser, King, Clifford, Nolan, Richardson, and whoever else shows up in camp (i.e. Andreoff etc...) for the fourth line. Richardson has put up about 30 points before and has a lot of energy and experience, he could beat out Nolan. They are still prospects at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, and I vote to add Martin Jones.

Last edited by Telos: 07-25-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Voted Toffoli.

Surprised that ND didn't make the top 10.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
palffytofrovlov

Voted for Toffoli...

I would say remove King I think he pretty much has a spot on the opening day team, but I think Nolan should still be a prospect since he has a battle in exhibition and still can go to the minors.

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Voted Toffoli.

Surprised that ND didn't make the top 10.
Case of what have you done lately, can't really put him above Hickey or Muzzin and Forbort probably has higher upside and is younger.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Picked Toffoli.

Add Martin Jones.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

TThanks KF for the hard work on doing these polls. Last years was really interesting to me and I can't wait to see how this years batch shake out. As always you rock.

For the first pick it was really hard to me. I went with Toffi because he is our best impact forward/sniper and I believe that our team really needs a player like him. Obviously we can win without him but the guy is going to be a very good NHL top 6er. Still so much ripe fruit made it hard to chose.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Lokti AINEC. Still don't get all the love for Toffoli...

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
triplcrown

Bud Holloway is the best of the bunch.

You'll see.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
For me while I love Lokti I think his scoring struggles at the NHL level and his games missed due to injury might be part of it. That and the fact that he has been around for a few seasons now. I didn't vote for him because I don't think of him as a prospect anymore but more like a kid who is making the team as soon as his slot opens up. He will end up in my top 5 for this poll though.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
I don't get the Lokti love, dude hasn't looked impressive at all when given the chance.

I voted Pearson, to me he seems the most likely to make an impact in the top 6.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Rod Buskas*

great title!

I got Forbort 1st and Toffoli second. Although, I think Toffoli will be with the big club sooner than Forbort.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
I don't get the Lokti love, dude hasn't looked impressive at all when given the chance.

Sadly much of Lokti struggles are made by our team. He is a natural center and a good one. He is also a play maker in order for you to be seen as a good play maker you need talent with you. There is not a top 2 spot open for him as a center and he has struggled at wing. I think he has great talent but we are so lucky to have such strong talent down the middle he is out of luck. He either has to make the adjustment to wing or he gets traded. And not all players can make that adjustment.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
The Judge

Loktionov hands down. Toffoli 2nd.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post

I think Loktionov easily has the most promising MIND out of the prospects we have.

The problem with Loktionov is that he is having to get his body and physical ability to catch up to how well he thinks the game.

If you watch him play, he see's things on the ice in the offensive zone that other players don't. I don't think it's unfair to say he has a similar style to a Pavel Datsyuk. Very good with the puck, strong vision, strong cognitive game.

And remember Datsyuk didn't start in the NHL til he was 24 or 25 because he was over playing in Russia growing into a man.

I think Loktionov will pay off at about the same age when he can develop a body to go along with his game. Loktionov JUST turned 22. Give him some more time I say. He probably is our most talented prospect at this point.

I think those who see what he possibly is capable of are the ones that are giving him so much love.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Voted Toffoli, add Deslauriers.

I vote not to have King, Nolan, or Moller count as prospects.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I think Loktionov easily has the most promising MIND out of the prospects we have.

The problem with Loktionov is that he is having to get his body and physical ability to catch up to how well he thinks the game.

If you watch him play, he see's things on the ice in the offensive zone that other players don't. I don't think it's unfair to say he has a similar style to a Pavel Datsyuk. Very good with the puck, strong vision, strong cognitive game.

And remember Datsyuk didn't start in the NHL til he was 24 or 25 because he was over playing in Russia growing into a man.

I think Loktionov will pay off at about the same age when he can develop a body to go along with his game. Loktionov JUST turned 22. Give him some more time I say. He probably is our most talented prospect at this point.

I think those who see what he possibly is capable of are the ones that are giving him so much love.
You and Tsanuri make good points, but I'm doubtful Lokti will ever overcome his lack of size/strength. He just strikes me as too soft to make it in the NHL, despite showing flashes of talent. Plus, and I could be 100% wrong about this, but I didn't think his hands were that great, definitely not Datsyuk-like or even Datsyuk-light. I hope I'm wrong, but haven't been too high on Lokti since his cup of coffee, as far as I can recall.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:52 PM
losingsand

DESLAURIER.. please update your poll-list

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Toffoli has to be the obvious #1, has shown nothing to prove otherwise

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
More size and the ability to be effective on the wing. I like Lokitionov a lot, but his best position is at center. Toffoli is going to have to show that he can win board battles in the AHL.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
I don't think you can really go wrong with Loktionov or Toffoli, it's more a matter of preference between NHL-ready or high end upside. Toffoli has higher upside, Loktionov is right at the cusp of the NHL and that's what sells the difference for me. We know Lokti has skill, we've seen it in small bursts. Toffoli hasn't (not that he's had a chance) done that yet. Either or. They're obviously 1 and 2. Don't think it matters much which one you choose.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote