HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 05:58 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Could a team with big pockets pay money in a trade, like the Gretzky trade, so that Nashville makes back their losses?
No, that has long since been done away with, for obvious competitive balance reason.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It's good news in that it keeps Weber out West, but I can't imagine it does anything good for the Sabres on the trade front. Philly will be active and has better assets to give up than the Sabres. That hurts them in the Ryan sweeps (if they're still even in the Ryan sweeps).

At this point, I think Regier either finds a 3rd line center or pulls a trade off no one saw coming. We know he covets Doan, it's likely he wants Ryan, it's possible he kicked the tires on Stastny...but there could be a Hodgson-type move that blindsides us. Or I'm just being wishful.

But back on topic with this thread...yeah, Nashville. Weber. Hmm.
Philly may have better assets but if they're not willing to trade them what difference does it make?

Old
07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Philly may have better assets but if they're not willing to trade them what difference does it make?
They have assets outside those they apparently refuse to move (Schenn and Courts) that still trump what many teams would be offering.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
People say noway Preds trade Weber next summer after dishing out 28 million. I think it's a very good possibility.....They would of lost a lot more then 28 million had they let him walk for 4 late 1st rounders.
See, I don't quite get that reasoning. If you've already paid a quarter of the contract, why not just keep him? You've got a great player, and you'll soon be hitting the cheaper years while he's still in his prime.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
See, I don't quite get that reasoning. If you've already paid a quarter of the contract, why not just keep him? You've got a great player, and you'll soon be hitting the cheaper years while he's still in his prime.
Because he may not be the happiest camper after all this ... His value will be at an all time high and the Preds thinking would be to bite the bullet on the 28 mill in order to get his true value so they can properly rebuild without going through a long drawn out rebuild.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I doubt Weber will be unhappy, at least not enough to be difficult and force a trade. Nashville wouldn't be inclined to trade him after paying 28 mil, but they could still use that as a bargaining chip in a trade, to get more return. But with as much Weber would already get just in an on-ice sense, adding in the salary value would make for an enormous trade package for the other team to come up with. I'm not sure how many teams could manage that.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I doubt Weber will be unhappy, at least not enough to be difficult and force a trade. Nashville wouldn't be inclined to trade him after paying 28 mil, but they could still use that as a bargaining chip in a trade, to get more return. But with as much Weber would already get just in an on-ice sense, adding in the salary value would make for an enormous trade package for the other team to come up with. I'm not sure how many teams could manage that.

Well the whole process isn't over yet... now we have Weber wanting the NMC added into his contract.... things can still get messier between the two ...

Tomorrow it will be interesting to see if Weber is at the Press Conference or not ...might be an indicator as to how he feels.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
They have assets outside those they apparently refuse to move (Schenn and Courts) that still trump what many teams would be offering.
Except that the Ducks' reported demand for a 2nd line center means either Schenn or Couturier have to be forfeited if the Flyers want Ryan - Anaheim won't want a 35-year old Briere and Philly isn't about to deal Giroux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't think he ever truly "wanted out" as the phrase is customarily used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's about the money, not wanting out.
There were reports that indicated Weber and his agent sought out other teams for offer sheets because, after Suter left, they were afraid that Nashville was getting further away from contending than before. Weber wasn't willing to wait through a retooling or rebuilding process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Good for the Preds.

And for the Sabres...
Not sure about that - maybe in terms of the balance of power in the East (even though Philly is still a better team than Buffalo without Weber) but in terms of the competition for the big names on the market (Doan, Ryan), the Flyers would have potentially been out of the mix if Weber joined them.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm surprised that they're surprised. Offer sheets are like a challenge, and even financially strapped or fiscally responsible teams see it as an affront that can't be ignored. Either bite the bullet or look weak. I doubt Nashville or Golisano a few years back wanted to match and pay out the nose...but it's almost as if you have to do it. If Weber really wanted to get out of town, he certainly lost. If he just wanted a boatload of money, then steaks and beer on him tonight.
The Vanek situation wasn't quite as much of impact on the bottom line as Weber's deal is. Vanek's salary was roughly 22% of the Sabres payroll. Weber, in the next 11 months will make roughly half of what Nashville paid its entire team this past season. Its an insane amount of money for a budget team to shell out. In that context its a little surprising Nashville matched.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
sabresfan129103

I wonder if Myers goes unsigned into this offseason if someone would have thrown an offersheet at him.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I wonder if Myers goes unsigned into this offseason if someone would have thrown an offersheet at him.
Did you mean if Myers was unsigned going into this offseason?

Old
07-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not sure about that - maybe in terms of the balance of power in the East (even though Philly is still a better team than Buffalo without Weber) but in terms of the competition for the big names on the market (Doan, Ryan), the Flyers would have potentially been out of the mix if Weber joined them.
I meant that at a very basic level. Eg: I'm glad Sabre forwards won't have to play against him multiple times during the year and in the playoffs. I recognize that Philly has more cap room to be a player, but that's not what I was thinking about at the time.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Surprised and pleased NSH matched.

With PHI's need for a d-man, any chance they offer hartnell + for Sekera? And, if so, would ya?

Old
07-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

With PHI's need for a d-man, any chance they offer hartnell + for Sekera? And, if so, would ya?
Nope.

I couldn't handle looking at that hair 82 games a year.

Plus i have no desire to help the Flyers shore up their weaknesses.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:05 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Leo+ for Voracek

Old
07-24-2012, 10:30 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

I'd love having Hartnell on this team.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:42 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd love having Hartnell on this team.
Hartnell rocks.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Luceni

I'd probably do Lepold + Adam for Hartnell

Old
07-25-2012, 06:39 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
He would have been offersheeted faster then you can say Thomas Vanek is cheap.....which is what you'd be saying in comparison to the OS Myers would get.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:30 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
He would have been offersheeted faster then you can say Thomas Vanek is cheap.....which is what you'd be saying in comparison to the OS Myers would get.
No he wouldn't have. There has been like 6 total offer sheets since the lockout. Stamkos wasn't offersheeted and he is a top 5 player in the game. It just doesn't happen that much.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
No he wouldn't have. There has been like 6 total offer sheets since the lockout. Stamkos wasn't offersheeted and he is a top 5 player in the game. It just doesn't happen that much.
Close, Weber made 7.

Kesler by Philly
Vanek by Edmonton
Penner by Edmonton
Backes by Vanouver
Bernier by St. Louis
Hjalmarsson by San Jose
Weber by Philly

That's been it.

07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Clock

Word on the streets that the asking price for Weber was the Schenns, Courturier, and a 1st. Yowzer, if true.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
joshjull

Ranger Rick

I haven't heard that mentioned in years

Old
07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Ranger Rick

I haven't heard that mentioned in years
I am to please.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Word on the streets that the asking price for Weber was the Schenns, Courturier, and a 1st. Yowzer, if true.
That's absolutely ludicrous. If I were Holmgren I would have done the same thing to them with the offersheet.

Closed Thread