HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Given our GM's pechant for locking up players with one good season, thirty good games, or a full year before arbitration, It wouldn't surprise me if Howson tries to get Bob locked up for another 3-4 years if he's holding the fort well.....

You forgot to mention the $5m/year terms!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

@Aportzline: Many have asked: Told #CBJ aren't in the market for Bobby Ryan. Would love to add a player of his caliber, but don't have the trade pieces.

Um what?

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:32 AM
blahblah

Interesting leveraging tool for a RFA. Only 2 million per year? The KHL will give me 3.5!

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

I don't know if I would really worry about it (other than in the case of a lockout) Bob strikes me as the type who really wants to make it in the the NHL. Somebody was telling me how good the guys work ethic is. First on/last off the ice. He's constantly doing extra work outs. In practice if he gets scored on, the first thing he does is run over and ask what the scorer saw when they shot. I guess he worked very hard to learn English. The kid sounds dedicated, I'm hoping last year was just a case of the Sophomore Slumps.

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
blahblah

I'm not concerned unless we make the KHL a more appealing destination.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
@Aportzline: Many have asked: Told #CBJ aren't in the market for Bobby Ryan. Would love to add a player of his caliber, but don't have the trade pieces.

Um what?
Just add "that we are willing to give up" to the end of it.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
cslebn

Quote:

Um what?
Well since Murray is asking more for Ryan than Howson was for Nash....

I'd really rather see us go for someone like Nino, Nyquist, or Tarasenko and build for a longer future and have a player for RyJo to grow with.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
candyman82

Quote:

Um what?
@TheFourthPeriod: @Aportzline They definitely have the trade pieces (Brass ++), just a matter of being willing to give it up.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Um what?
Who knows about Anaheim is demanding?

If there were really all these teams in on Nash, and Ryan is younger/cheaper/more consistent, but Ryan hasn't been dealt by now...well, that leaves open some room for speculation.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Who knows about Anaheim is demanding?

If there were really all these teams in on Nash, and Ryan is younger/cheaper/more consistent, but Ryan hasn't been dealt by now...well, that leaves open some room for speculation.
All I know is that they want a second-line center

Old
07-25-2012, 10:11 AM
EDM

With all of the dmen and centers he has acquired, Howson does not have the pieces to trade for Ryan?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
wahsnairb

I read that tweet earlier and was tempted to unfollow the goofball.

Johansen+, Brassard++ (as I suggested yesterday), 3 1st round picks next year, a ton of capable young d.. there are plenty of worthy pieces you could use to get Ryan should they be willing.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
I read that tweet earlier and was tempted to unfollow the goofball.

Johansen+, Brassard++ (as I suggested yesterday), 3 1st round picks next year.. there are plenty of worthy pieces you could use to get Ryan should they be willing.
I can't imagine Johansen is available, he is our only prospect with legitimate top-line potential

Old
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
@TheFourthPeriod: @Aportzline They definitely have the trade pieces (Brass ++), just a matter of being willing to give it up.
I agree, the pieces are all there for a deal. We could part with d prospects, a young center, and 1st round picks...not saying we want to give these commodities away, but we have currency if we want in the market for Ryan, or Bernier for that matter.

If anything, Porty's comment leads me to believe someone is happy with what we have on the ice now. I'm excited about it, but I'm not satisfied by any stretch.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Or Anaheim being willing to accept. So far as I can tell Brass is unacceptable to them.

As much as I like the idea of having Ryan around, I don't want it to be at the cost of Johansen. If that means no deal, then, well, gosh, we'll just have to go back to the idea of "team competition" rather than having one star for everyone to focus on.

(seriously guys this koolaid is totally ****ing awesome you really gotta try it )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
CapnCornelius

We've got the pieces to make the deal. Yes, I'm sure Murray would prefer Johansen over Ryan, but we'd have prefered Stepan over Anisimov too.

Howson just needs to work Murray the way Sather worked him. Be persistent. There's a deal there, but Murray's going to have to realize that he's not going to get a better deal elsewhere to close it.

Coffee is for closers, Scottie.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I agree, the pieces are all there for a deal. We could part with d prospects, a young center, and 1st round picks...not saying we want to give these commodities away, but we have currency if we want in the market for Ryan, or Bernier for that matter.

If anything, Porty's comment leads me to believe someone is happy with what we have on the ice now. I'm excited about it, but I'm not satisfied by any stretch.
I'm guessing no one is "happy" with what we have, but they are satisfied with starting the season this way.

I'm satisfied with that too.

We are probably more than a Ryan and Bernier away from competing for the Cup. So why rush out, give up young talent, and get either or both of those two before we see what we have on the ice.

Bob may find his old form. If so, great, we don't need to give up a first for Bernier. If not, we make a trade mid-season, or we ride it out and "quit winnin' for MacKinnon."

RyJo may turn out to be the second coming of Rick Nash at LW. If that's the case, great, we don't need Bobby Ryan and we can focus on other needs. Thankfully we didn't trade away a slew of young prospects for Bobby Ryan.

I'm hopeful we do one of two things-
1. Start the season on fire and add at the deadline.
2. Start the season like crap, fire Howson, and sell the underperformers at the deadline, adding more young pieces and draft picks. Hopefully getting a chance to get MacKinnon.

If we suck from the beginning, I'm willing to sacrifice this season for a chance at MacKinnon.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
We've got the pieces to make the deal. Yes, I'm sure Murray would prefer Johansen over Ryan, but we'd have prefered Stepan over Anisimov too.

Howson just needs to work Murray the way Sather worked him. Be persistent. There's a deal there, but Murray's going to have to realize that he's not going to get a better deal elsewhere to close it.

Except he seems to be willing to settle for the steak knives instead of going for the Cadillac.
(note to everyone else: obscure reference from the same movie)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Is Ryan really even available? Or has Murray been looking at the rumored returns for Nash and figuring he'd like to get in on that if possible, and if not then Ryan stays?

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:32 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Is Ryan really even available? Or has Murray been looking at the rumored returns for Nash and figuring he'd like to get in on that if possible, and if not then Ryan stays?
You may just very well be right.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
It's possible, but if so, their posturing may end with Ryan "pulling a Nash" anyway. He didn't seem too happy about the trade rumors, that's for sure.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:51 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
At this point there are irreconcilable differences between Murray and Ryan. If he's not traded by the time camps starts, I'll be shocked.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
candyman82

Quote:
At this point there are irreconcilable differences between Murray and Ryan. If he's not traded by the time camps starts, I'll be shocked.
How do you know that they are irreconcilable?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Skraut

Quote:
How do you know that they are irreconcilable?
That darn Howson is leaking information again...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i don't think they are irreconcilable, but i remember bobby sending out a tweet and it saying how ticked he was always having his name out there and wants it to be done and overwith

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote