HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Poll: Doan Vs. Semin

View Poll Results: Doan or Semin
Doan 132 58.41%
Semin 62 27.43%
Neither of Them 32 14.16%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #26
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Semin by a country mile. Younger, more explosive, and an ability to score goals that Doan can only dream about.


186 goals in the last 6 years. Need I say more?
Doan can score goals in front of the net that Semin can only dream about.

186 goals in the last 6 years playing run and gun style (except the last 2 years) with a bunch of super skilled guys vs. Doan who plays in a very defensive system in Phoenix. Can't compare. I love people who uses stats to prove their points. Funny that since Washington adopted a more defensive game in the past 2 years, Semin as seriously regressed stat wise. Go ahead, manage a team by just looking at stats, you would be pilling lottery picks.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #27
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
No, it represents the effort they put in.

Doan >> Semin any day
Does that mean that every other season except 2007-2008 Semin put in more effort than Doan?

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:58 AM
  #28
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,810
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind both. But you have to go with Doan based on the fact that it's not solely about who you like....it's about who you feel would do well in our system. Clearly, Doan fits the philosophy more, hence he's the player I like the most. But I personnally wouldn't be afraid of Semin.

Yet, I don't see us having neither unless we've overpaying BIG TIME for Doan. Well, it is UFA time after all so why not....3 years. 5M$ cap hit (1st year 6, 2nd year 5.5, 3rd year 3.5). But we have to move people. Only way Bergevin makes some kind of splash this summer. Only name left.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
  #29
zeeto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnson City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
If they were the same age, I'd favor Doan. But they're not the same age - Semin is 7 years younger.

That alone makes Semin a better fit for a rebuilding club like Montreal.

Adding Doan might put us into the playoffs next year, but it won't have much long-term benefit.

Semin could be a key top six winger for us even by the time that Galchenyuk is a significant force on our team.
This.

I like Doan, and honestly hope he doesn't leave Phx, but the Habs aren't going to be contending for a cup in Doan's last "usable" years.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  #30
the watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Doan for sure, even if we don't compete for a cup for the next 2 years his worth ethic will spread to our young players. I rather that then them acquiring Semin-like attitudes.

the watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  #31
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,605
vCash: 500
Semin PLZ.

Size and Talent make ''intangibles'' so irrevelant.

Semin would fit so well with Plekanec

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
  #32
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 500
Doan seems to be a better fit for Plekanec but Semin is a 40g scorer so he'd fit with any center anyway. Semin will probably be more productive but will not bring the leadership, drive and grit like Doan would.

I like both... but I'm sure they will not come here. I've learnt my lesson over the years. Big UFA's end up in N-Y, PHI or PIT..

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
  #33
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,799
vCash: 500
If Doan were at least 5 years younger than he is now, I would choose him. I haven't made up my mind between Semin or neither but I'm leaning toward Semin if his contract demands are no higher than $6M.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
  #34
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
Doan for sure, even if we don't compete for a cup for the next 2 years his worth ethic will spread to our young players. I rather that then them acquiring Semin-like attitudes.
Just for the sake of argument, who are these "young players" the pro-Doan folks keep talking about? Eller? Subban?

Or will his influence spread all the way to Hamilton (and Sarnia) and imbue our top prospects with his divine goodness?

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
  #35
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,605
vCash: 500
1. Bury Gomez.
2. Bury Kaberle.
3. sign Doan to 5.5m 2 years.
5 sign Semin to 6m 3 years.
6. Semin-Plekanec-Doan
7.????
8. Profit

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
  #36
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
1. Bury Gomez.
2. Bury Kaberle.
3. sign Doan to 5.5m 2 years.
5 sign Semin to 6m 3 years.
6. Semin-Plekanec-Doan
7.????
8. Profit
this is the perfect situation but
how is there the word "profit" in dumping 11 millions in the AHL for 2 years = 22 millions

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
  #37
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
At that price point ... Take both!

If I have to choose, on a 2 year deal it's gotta be Doan, hands down.

Best case scenario might slightly favor Semin, but worst case scenario Doan still gives u a ton while Semin would give you headaches.

Only way I take Semin over Dian is if he's significantly cheaper (which won't happen), or if I had to take one of them on a 4-5 year deal (I wouldn't want either signed that long, but if I had to, then semins youth comes into play)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
  #38
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
this is the perfect situation but
how is there the word "profit" in dumping 11 millions in the AHL for 2 years = 22 millions
16 More games of hockey.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:34 PM
  #39
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
At that price point ... Take both!

If I have to choose, on a 2 year deal it's gotta be Doan, hands down.

Best case scenario might slightly favor Semin, but worst case scenario Doan still gives u a ton while Semin would give you headaches.

Only way I take Semin over Dian is if he's significantly cheaper (which won't happen), or if I had to take one of them on a 4-5 year deal (I wouldn't want either signed that long, but if I had to, then semins youth comes into play)
Doan is more likely to decline over the 2 years than to improve or remain at his peak. Although players age unequally, I'd suggest comparing Kaberle as he is now with when he was a Leaf. IMO the Habs wouldn't get their money's worth if they outbid all the other teams vying to sign Doan.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  #40
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
I can't believe that this is a real question, and that some people voted Semin! Semin would be another Kovalev, but even more frustrating. Doan would be like a bigger slightly less skilled Koivu. I take heart and character over pure skill any day of the week.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
  #41
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
#BESTFORBUSINESS
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,429
vCash: 233
Doan. No thanks to Semin, sure, he's younger and ultra-talented, but who knows how his attitude would be with this team? With Doan, you know what you're getting.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  #42
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Keep Semin away from gal.

Either way, none of them are desirable for long term deals. Plus, we're not contenders anyways, might as well bring in players like Doan who will help establish a good culture of effort and heart. Just semin alone won't win us anything short term. Long term deal for Semin would be very foolish.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
  #43
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
By preference, in order:

1. Short term, Semin
2. Short term, Doan
3. Long term, Semin
4. Nothing
5. Long term, Doan

The scenario #4 will happen.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
  #44
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Keep Semin away from gal.

Either way, none of them are desirable for long term deals. Plus, we're not contenders anyways, might as well bring in players like Doan who will help establish a good culture of effort and heart. Just semin alone won't win us anything short term. Long term deal for Semin would be very foolish.
Until now the biggest knocks I've heard on Semin are his laziness and his anti-social behavior -> Even if true, do you REALLY think we have anything to worry about as far as Galchenyuk is concerned? I mean really?


Last edited by Paul Dipietro: 07-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  #45
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
Neither of them. Why are so many of you obsessed with trying to rebuild one of the worst teams in the league over one summer.

It takes time, and frankly those two guys simply represent the difference between a 14th place finish and a 12th place finish... In other words, not worth the time you guys are spending fantasizing about them.
GFT on this one.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  #46
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Posters who diss Semin and think he's heartless piece of **** didn't watch Washington play in the last 5 years.

He can create plays, snipe goals , play on the PP, play on the pk because he read the play very well .

But the guy is very shy he don't like to make interview so of course he's not going to be a guy who is like by the medias.

And when you compare him to kovalev and AK that just prove you know nothing about him

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:35 PM
  #47
Bacchus1
Registered User
 
Bacchus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Posters who diss Semin and think he's heartless piece of **** didn't watch Washington play in the last 5 years.

He can create plays, snipe goals , play on the PP, play on the pk because he read the play very well .

But the guy is very shy he don't like to make interview so of course he's not going to be a guy who is like by the medias.

And when you compare him to kovalev and AK that just prove you know nothing about him
Care to expand? I think he is exactly like Kovalev, in that he has all the skills but lacks the consistency, heart, and determination. He was called the artist because hockey was more beauty to him that winning. I don't know what drives Semin, but it doesn't seem to be much. Also, why isn't he being held on to by the Caps. It is easy to cast about aspersions, another thing to write your opinion clearly.

So what makes you think that Semin is all that and a bowl of grits?

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #48
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 3,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
No, it represents the effort they put in.

Doan >> Semin any day
Agreed and I would take six dollars to beat the idea out of Semin's head of signing a $5mil contract here and he would agree by the time I was done.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  #49
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
Care to expand? I think he is exactly like Kovalev, in that he has all the skills but lacks the consistency, heart, and determination. He was called the artist because hockey was more beauty to him that winning. I don't know what drives Semin, but it doesn't seem to be much. Also, why isn't he being held on to by the Caps. It is easy to cast about aspersions, another thing to write your opinion clearly.

So what makes you think that Semin is all that and a bowl of grits?
Kovalev could be depended upon to contribute 65 points a year. He made our offense respectable, and was the leading reason we had the 2007-08 season, the best Habs team since since the 1993 stanley cup win.

This team could use another Kovalev.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  #50
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
It's probably already been discussed in another topic, but why exactly would Doan come here? At his age, he's looking for a cup, not for a rebuild.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.