HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Redemption? Players who need to bounce back.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i've been assassinating the same 3 core players for years... (roy, vanek, miller)

they represent everything the sabres have been for 5 years.
mentally weak&physically soft

i dont care that vanek pots 30 goals and takes a beating in front of the net... because that's ALL he does. it's not enough.

why do i think he doesn't care... because he had a letter on his chest, and this was his re-action

I don't think Vanek is physically soft at all, mentally is a whole nother story though. I didn't like his response to Lucic either, he didn't need to drop the gloves but get in there and put his face to the boards or something, he just ran in and bounced off and didn't look like he even cared to get back at him, mind you this was early in the season so he was still healthy(or at least as far as we know).

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
If Vanek fights Lucic then not only does Lucic knock miller out for 2-3 months but he takes Vanek along with him. Blaming Vanek for not getting the **** wipped outta him like a 2 dollar ***** when you have 2 lines of guys better suited to respond to that situation is the height of stupidity. the only thing more ridiculous is the bolded to which Im only going to respond

As to the question if Erhroff, Myers, and Miller play like they are capable this team will win a lot more than it loses.
everything about this reeks of typical sabres hockey...screwww that ....best goalscorer or not if your goalie gets run that blatantly you mix it up irregardless....idc if vanek gets knocked out he tried...same goes for everyone on the ice.....this was absolutely pathetic to watch...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
everything about this reeks of typical sabres hockey...screwww that ....best goalscorer or not if your goalie gets run that blatantly you mix it up irregardless....idc if vanek gets knocked out he tried...same goes for everyone on the ice.....this was absolutely pathetic to watch...
so instead of expecting Gaustad to go fight Lucic, a guy who cant score and doesnt go infront of the net (ya know things that win games like Vanek does), Im supposed to expect a guy with 0 chance of even surviving the fight to fight Lucic. You do realize that removing star players from the ice is what Lucic was trying to do? Intimidate the Sabres best player by driving him into the ice? So your response would be "Nice job Luc, let me toss you a second star to chomp through." You employ "goons" to handle that job and the failure to respond should be everyones blame but the goons get fired for it. If you have gotten to the point that Vanek needs to be thrown away because of that hit then its only fair that the entire roster should be removed from the Sabres because none of them responded. And since that wont (cant) happen you might as well stop routing for the sabres for the next decade because there will always be a roster player left from that incident who didnt respond.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
so instead of expecting Gaustad to go fight Lucic, a guy who cant score and doesnt go infront of the net (ya know things that win games like Vanek does), Im supposed to expect a guy with 0 chance of even surviving the fight to fight Lucic. You do realize that removing star players from the ice is what Lucic was trying to do? Intimidate the Sabres best player by driving him into the ice? So your response would be "Nice job Luc, let me toss you a second star to chomp through." You employ "goons" to handle that job and the failure to respond should be everyones blame but the goons get fired for it. If you have gotten to the point that Vanek needs to be thrown away because of that hit then its only fair that the entire roster should be removed from the Sabres because none of them responded. And since that wont (cant) happen you might as well stop routing for the sabres for the next decade because there will always be a roster player left from that incident who didnt respond.
I agree that I wouldn't want Vanek to fight.

Buuuut... I have to say ... C'mon! Survive? Really? I am sorry to inform you but all the players on the ice at the time would have "survived" a fight against Lucic. Last time I checked Lucic hasn't killed anyone on the ice. Now maybe he kills people in his spare time away from hockey. Maybe that's what you're referring to. I wouldn't know about that.

Or are you just exaggerating. Because that never happens here.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:07 AM
McTank

Alright some crazy predictions for next season:

Ryan Miller: bounces back with a 2.67 GAA and .926 SV%

Tylers Myers: has a solid season netting 47 points with a +10

Sulzer: does terribly out of the gate and ends up in the press box leading too...

Weber: Having a great bounce back year learning from regher

Leino: Another bad season, nets 37 points well crying about being misused

Stafford: Finds chemistry with ennis and scores 33 goals and 64 points

Ennis: finds chemistry with stafford and nets 67 points

Foligno: chugs along eventually being removed from F-E-S but has a respectable 27 point rookie season well playing physical

Hodgson: Gets to center pominville and vanek and finds himself hitting the 60 point mark

Pominville: Has more chemistry with vanek and nets 71 points

Vanek: Stays healthy and has te remarkable year we all knew he can. 43 goals, 86 points.

John Scott: beats lucic in a fight leading to a john scott trophy being erected out front FNC

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:39 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Alright some crazy predictions for next season:

Ryan Miller: bounces back with a 2.67 GAA and .926 SV%

Tylers Myers: has a solid season netting 47 points with a +10

Sulzer: does terribly out of the gate and ends up in the press box leading too...

Weber: Having a great bounce back year learning from regher

Leino: Another bad season, nets 37 points well crying about being misused

Stafford: Finds chemistry with ennis and scores 33 goals and 64 points

Ennis: finds chemistry with stafford and nets 67 points

Foligno: chugs along eventually being removed from F-E-S but has a respectable 27 point rookie season well playing physical

Hodgson: Gets to center pominville and vanek and finds himself hitting the 60 point mark

Pominville: Has more chemistry with vanek and nets 71 points

Vanek: Stays healthy and has te remarkable year we all knew he can. 43 goals, 86 points.

John Scott: beats lucic in a fight leading to a john scott trophy being erected out front FNC
5 players with 60+ points? Yeah, I'd take that.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Or are you just exaggerating. Because that never happens here.
It has been mentioned that gross hyperbole is a strong point of mine.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:31 AM
HiddenInLight

The idea of vanek fighting anybody is laughable. I don't know about anybody else, but if Vanek had dropped his gloves to fight Lucic Id have been PISSED. Why in the world do you want our best offensive talent to not only remove himself from play for 5 minutes, but also risk getting injured on top of that?! Just a really stupid idea. Jame, if you honestly want vanek to fight, I'm not even sure how to express my oppinion on that without getting an infraction. Even ignoring the injury possibility, you ***** about him taking a stupid hooking penalty on occasion, yet you want him to put himself in the box for a 5 minute fighting major?! Seriously?!

The guy is the best scoring threat on out team and that's not enough for you? How can you think he doesn't care? He played with the significant injuries for almost half the season last year. If he didn't care, do you honestly think he would play hurt? I don't. You have truely lost it.....I personally feel like the rochester core, is no longer the core of our team. Removing Roy and Gaustad, I think the torch is in the process of being passed to our new younger core of Ennis Hodgeson Foligno Myers and Ehrhoff.

I think the only player on this team that truely needs to show us something (ANYTHING) this year is Ville Leino. That being said I am hoping he does what he has done in the past with his other teams, have a terrible first year, but pick it up from there...Maybe he is just a slow learner =/

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Everyone get in and get on the guy. Everyone.

Or if he's going to stand there, emote Clarke and give Lucic the Varlamov treatment to an ankle or wrist.

07-25-2012, 08:30 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
i've been assassinating the same 3 core players for years... (roy, vanek, miller)

they represent everything the sabres have been for 5 years.
mentally weak&physically soft

i dont care that vanek pots 30 goals and takes a beating in front of the net... because that's ALL he does. it's not enough.

why do i think he doesn't care... because he had a letter on his chest, and this was his re-action

When will people learn to just let go of that moment? The people that were affected by this directly all seem to have learned from it. Instead fans will, for years, keep bringing this up, regardless who's on the team. It seems to me the guys and management have learned from this ONE moment and have moved on. If everyone involved in the game can move on so can the fans.

What good would've that done if Vanek got involved. He most likely would've gotten pummeled, and possibly injured(so you couldve lost Vanek, and then you lose Miller in the same play).

Sometimes I don't who's worse with this sort of stuff, the writers, or the fans.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:25 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
When will people learn to just let go of that moment? The people that were affected by this directly all seem to have learned from it. Instead fans will, for years, keep bringing this up, regardless who's on the team. It seems to me the guys and management have learned from this ONE moment and have moved on. If everyone involved in the game can move on so can the fans.

What good would've that done if Vanek got involved. He most likely would've gotten pummeled, and possibly injured(so you couldve lost Vanek, and then you lose Miller in the same play).

Sometimes I don't who's worse with this sort of stuff, the writers, or the fans.
How about I'm sure every one will let it go after the first meeting against the Bruins. When J. Scott beats up 1 of 3 or all 3 in the same game of Lucic, Chara, or Thornton. That is when the fans of the Sabres will let it go. I for one can not wait for that day Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 Sabres at Bruins 7 pm and again that will be the day everyone should be able to let it go. I'm sorry but the Sabres still owe Boston& Lucic for what they did. The 6-0 win was a good start. I was at that game.
They still need J. Scott to pounce on one of them 3 or all 3 for all i care. It needs to be done and settled that game. I'm sure this will be one of the best series in hockey this year. I can not wait. I'm sure Ott is going to be all over them also. Add Kaleta to the mix and sprinkle in a little McCormick. Also some of the de. Myers, Regher. I think they're headed in the right direction with not getting pushed around anymore.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

One thing never talked about with that Lucic hit, watch CHara. He knows exactly who on the Sabres may do something, Gaustad, and Chara cares about nothing else besides Gaustad. I think Gaustad saw this and crapped his pants. I never want to see this video again.

Redemption:

Vanek - Do it for a full season.

Myers - Same as Vanek, give me a full season

Stafford - Same as Vanek and Myers

Gerbe - Where was the offense?

Leino - Play harder

Weber - Play with confidence and poise

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

What good would've that done if Vanek got involved.
He most likely would've gotten pummeled, and possibly injured(so you couldve lost Vanek, and then you lose Miller in the same play).

Would've shown that he had some character, some passion for his team/teammates. He has none of that. He never has.

I don't think Vanek learned anything from it... I expect he will continue to be the same passionless player who could barely muster up a decent handshake when presented with the "A".

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
The idea of vanek fighting anybody is laughable. I don't know about anybody else, but if Vanek had dropped his gloves to fight Lucic Id have been PISSED. Why in the world do you want our best offensive talent to not only remove himself from play for 5 minutes, but also risk getting injured on top of that?! Just a really stupid idea. Jame, if you honestly want vanek to fight, I'm not even sure how to express my oppinion on that without getting an infraction. Even ignoring the injury possibility, you ***** about him taking a stupid hooking penalty on occasion, yet you want him to put himself in the box for a 5 minute fighting major?! Seriously?!
Yea... im crazy for wanting the leaders on this team to stand up for their teammates, especially in an incident like the Lucic one...

yea... im crazy

Im not asking vanek to take 5 minute majors every 3-5 games... im talking about a specific incident. You don't get a free pass because of your skill set, or how much money you make. When your goalie gets obliterated... or any player for that matter gets run like that... then you step up. if that "lightbulb" doesn't go off immediately, then that's a guy you don;t need,.

so if the same incident happened tomorrow, and Vanek reacts the same way... again... you're ok with that?

im not

Quote:
The guy is the best scoring threat on out team and that's not enough for you?
nope

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
How about I'm sure every one will let it go after the first meeting against the Bruins. When J. Scott beats up 1 of 3 or all 3 in the same game of Lucic, Chara, or Thornton. That is when the fans of the Sabres will let it go. I for one can not wait for that day Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 Sabres at Bruins 7 pm and again that will be the day everyone should be able to let it go. I'm sorry but the Sabres still owe Boston& Lucic for what they did. The 6-0 win was a good start. I was at that game.
They still need J. Scott to pounce on one of them 3 or all 3 for all i care. It needs to be done and settled that game. I'm sure this will be one of the best series in hockey this year. I can not wait. I'm sure Ott is going to be all over them also. Add Kaleta to the mix and sprinkle in a little McCormick. Also some of the de. Myers, Regher. I think they're headed in the right direction with not getting pushed around anymore.
BOLDED: Which is proof that not only have Buffalo learned from their mistake, but they have addressed it too, which I think means they have moved on.

Lucic-He won't fight anyone bigger or the size of him. He picks guys that are smaller so he can win fights.
Chara-He's captain, he knows he can't afford to run around and fighting with guys and risk taking himself out of the game.
Thornton-He's a key piece to their forechecking game and he too will pick his spots. He's the only one of the three I see matching up with some of our guys.

Again, like some people on these boards have said, any Message that needed to be sent should've been sent THAT game. Not the next game let alone the next season.

I understand that certain fans want to see certain things, but it should not be in the player's minds. They should just be focused winning the game. If anything happens in the game, they will now be more prepared to deal with it THAT game.

The one person I want to see Bounce back:

Lindy Ruff. I would like to see that coach that no problem sending out the police if something happened on the ice, the one that had that fire and no qualms standing on that bench and standing up for his players. Also, have more patience with your players. Most of the roster is young. Don't bury them at the end of the bench if they make a mistake, show some trust and let them have the chance to redeem themselves.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Ryan Miller didn't have a bad season on the whole last year. His stats ended up above his career average. It's just that he was so uneven, it was uncanny. The first half of the season, I believe his GAA was above 3. After the second half, it was 2.55. That just tells you how awfully good the second half was, and if he can maintain that level of play, he can absolutely regain Vezina form.

That said, Vezina form or no, he needs more in front of him to win in the playoffs.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
BWidz8930

Quote:
BOLDED:

Lucic-He won't fight anyone bigger or the size of him. He picks guys that are smaller so he can win fights.
To be fair, there are like 3 guys in entire league that are bigger than him and one of them is on his team.

BWidz8930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:22 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Gerbe is a player that I'm scared has plateaued. The skill and the desire was evident consistently, but it still didn't result in much production, and I'm afraid that he might have met his ceiling, perhaps due to his size. We'll see.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Wasn't that what Goose fighting Lucic the game after that last year was supposed to do?
Scott fighting even all 3 of them in one game would still not get some people to shutup about it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Take it in context.

Vanek is what he is- a non-power forward 30 goal scorer who tends to look like he's floating. Add his contract and events like this, and people have reasons to want him gone.

Sekera was also in on the situation. Vanek "bumped" Lucic first, then followed by Sekera. After which, Sekera didn't do much. The difference in opinion is because Sekera is a shutdown defenseman that can play physical, and is on a great contract.

I wouldn't waste much time on it. Most of what's relevant has already been said. The remainder is agenda drumbeating.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Take it in context.

Vanek is what he is- a non-power forward 30 goal scorer who tends to look like he's floating. Add his contract and events like this, and people have reasons to want him gone.

Sekera was also in on the situation. Vanek "bumped" Lucic first, then followed by Sekera. After which, Sekera didn't do much. The difference in opinion is because Sekera is a shutdown defenseman that can play physical, and is on a great contract.

I wouldn't waste much time on it. Most of what's relevant has already been said. The remainder is agenda drumbeating.
Sekera can play physical? Is that a typo? I assume you mean he can't play physical.

I think Stafford is going to break out and have a career year, 35-40 goals.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Sekera can play physical? Is that a typo? I assume you mean he can't play physical.

I wrote it correctly. Define "physical" for you. That might explain the difference.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
BWidz8930

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post

Doesn't hit but he's got great body position, especially last season. For a smaller dude, he's certainly good at redirecting opponents' paths, tying up sticks, etc.

I'm with you on Stafford. I think he, Pommer, and Vanek score 30+ (dark horse Hodgson 25+).

BWidz8930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Leino and Gerbe, primarily. Leino obviously needs better production to warrant his contract, though I don't think it was due to a lack of effort necessarily. Gerbe just seemed like such a non-factor for most of the season (granted, he was injured for a while).

To a lesser extent, Vanek and Miller. Vanek was clearly playing injured at the end, but this team needs his scoring throughout the season. Miller obviously didn't have his head on straight thanks to head and neck injuries, but hopefully next season he can stay healthy (John Scott I choose you!).

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Yea... im crazy for wanting the leaders on this team to stand up for their teammates, especially in an incident like the Lucic one...

yea... im crazy

Im not asking vanek to take 5 minute majors every 3-5 games... im talking about a specific incident. You don't get a free pass because of your skill set, or how much money you make. When your goalie gets obliterated... or any player for that matter gets run like that... then you step up. if that "lightbulb" doesn't go off immediately, then that's a guy you don;t need,.

so if the same incident happened tomorrow, and Vanek reacts the same way... again... you're ok with that?

im not

nope
I still don't get why you want Vanek to respond. Its such an awful idea. What is the point of him getting obliterated by Lucic? It literally serves no purpose as he will just give the Bruin team more of a boost when he gets beat down too.

In that situation I would have loved to see someone chop Lucic in the back of the knee. Cheap or not, I don't care.

I suppose the proper response would be to send out a "heavyweight" shortly thereafter to beat down Lucic. The Sabres now have one where-as they didn't before.

The one good suggestion was perhaps to have all 5 guys mug Lucic. Even after that though a proper fight should occur later with a person who could handle Lucic.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote