HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
ilikeblocks

vCash: 500
I'm so excited. How nice will this contract be in 6 years when Nashville can spend to the cap and be getting Weber at a bargain price? Better to spend the money now and keep Weber. I want Cups!

Old
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Congrats on not letting Philly push you around

How does Web go back to being the leader of this team is the big question I have??? How does he go back to being the face of the franchise after pulling a sneaky underhanded move to slip out of town through the back door?

I hope he really pulls up his socks and can make good for what he has done!

But congrats to the organization!
After hearing some of our player reactions, I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. All of them seem like that's all business and they are ready to get their hockey game on. No sense of resentment or anything from their interviews. It seems like us the fans worry about that stuff more than the players do.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Shea didn't try to sneakily move out the back door. This wasn't a Radulov double signing or anything. He signed an offer sheet for a contract that was probably the best contract ever placed in front of a hockey player. I think he'd have signed it for any team. What sane person would NOT do that?

Gotta hand it to Philadelphia for coming up with it and it obviously passing the present CBA contract rules, but that is a structure that must be eradicated in the next CBA.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:04 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
I'm glad for you guys. I knew that Nashville would match, but that front loaded contract is bull****. Still, it keeps Weber out of the east. We don't need Suter, Weber, and Nash all in the east.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:05 AM
JR303

Have to say that I'm a little bit surprised at some of the rationalizations from other fan bases affected by this. Wow, don't venture onto the trade board thread...

Anyway, I think there is something else that I haven't really read yet, and that is that the contract that was submitted by the Flyers, wouldn't that have to go through and be approved by the agent(s) before it ever even got to Weber? I think if he goes to his agent(s) (Major dicks by the way) and says "here's the list of teams I'd be willing to sign an offer sheet from" and they come back with the one from the Flyers, isn't it the agent that did the negotiating?

At that point when one of the agents places it in front of you and says, "you're never, ever going to see $ like this again in your life, it's now or never" I can't imagine not signing it.

I think in a month or 2 no one but the media will even be thinking about the offer sheet, and Weber will be professional and effective on the ice. The only thing that can really give us much worry is the cba. At least a bunch of owners/gm's aren't out sabotaging their own cause with dumbass contracts /sarcasm.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Give him a NTC, it helps re-build the relationship and it's not like we're trading him anytime soon anyway. The structure of this contract basically ensures that he's not going to be traded until the last couple of seasons. I don't believe there's any way a guy would ever give "10 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to", that leaves way too broad of a field that he could be traded too and basically negates the purpose of a NTC. It's more likely "5 teams he would definitely accept a trade to".

As for Rick Nash, that was just Howson being a moron, he had better offers at the deadline than what he accepted this week.
Actually, he didn't. There's a series of persistent rumors to that effect, but those are based largely on speculation derived from start-of-negotiations requests Howson made. It's equally accurate to claim that Weber was "offered" a $4.5m/year contract.

The offer closest to what actually occurred that has been detailed and has stayed consistent in the retelling was the Rangers offer of Erixon, Miller, Thomas, Dubinsky, and the 2012 1st. What we ended up with instead was the 2013 1st (deeper draft), and instead of Miller and Thomas (two boom-or-bust forward prospects) we got Anisimov (a NHL roster player with the potential to improve) - not the staggering improvement we were hoping for, but it was an upgrade.

I suspect Howson ultimately settled for something like "bare minimum acceptable" after discovering the market wasn't going in the right direction. That doesn't make it a great deal, no, but it does make for one that could turn out better for us than expected. Would've been nice to know from the start that we did well, though, rather than having to wait and see how these guys gel together.

As for Shea... why would an NTC be included? Frankly, my inclination if I were DP would be to meet with Shea directly, because his agents in this ordeal have been absolutely g-dawful - they seem more concerned about their chances at cashing in on endorsement deals in a bigger market than they do about the needs of their client. One of our guys employs them (Calvert) and I'm looking for contact information so we can start a campaign to ask him to switch agents.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Shea didn't try to sneakily move out the back door. This wasn't a Radulov double signing or anything. He signed an offer sheet for a contract that was probably the best contract ever placed in front of a hockey player. I think he'd have signed it for any team. What sane person would NOT do that?

Gotta hand it to Philadelphia for coming up with it and it obviously passing the present CBA contract rules, but that is a structure that must be eradicated in the next CBA.
I agree with you...however, I personally think that Shea wanted to go to Philly and his agents, by writing the contract that way, had Shea convinced he was going to Philly. We all knew that Nashville was a possibility due to the offer sheet process but I would bet that wasn't the desired or expected outcome when the contract was written up and signed. One of the agents was throwing Nashville under the bus during the process to help things along and when the other agent was asked yesterday about why the hate on Nashville, he completely dodged the question. I'm thinking there's a small bit of "What just happened?" look between Weber and his agents. It just seems like Weber would have liked to leave more than he wanted to stay. That's my opinion anyway. Oh well, he's ours now. And no Shea, you don't get a NTC.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Maybe Shea really wanted to go to Philly or maybe he just wanted to see a commitment from the owners and the franchise to put a winner on the ice. After seeing his defense partner leave for "greener pastures", he wasn't sure if that was the case. While the money we offered was similar, it was structured differently and he stood to lose out if there was a lockout as bonus money is guaranteed. From the reactions from his agents, he's glad the team is committed to him and the team and I think that's the biggest point for him, that the team is in it to win. I think adding Brett Wilson to the team has helped in this department monumentally. Remember the team said it would be a cap team this coming season? Ironic that Wilson's stake in the team went from 5% to 20%. May just be a coincidence but I think this has been in the works for a long time. The Preds are slow and steady. May not make most of us happy as we want things now but for the long term viability, I think we're moving in the right direction.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
predfan98

I am so tired of the "the players want to see a commitment to winning". That's old, tired and just not true

Old
07-25-2012, 11:05 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Can we all just enjoy this moment for a day without any bickering? Is it possible with this fan base? Reading some of the threads around here make me laugh. Let's enjoy the fact that Weber is signed and playing for us this coming season. Let's worry about Poile tomorrow. Let's think about what we need to do next tomorrow. Put aside all of our ill will about whatever we have ill will towards and soak up this moment. It's not every day something like this happens. This should pull us together as a fan base, not rip it apart. People are totally entitled to their opinions but can they wait a day so we can enjoy this moment? Please. Let's enjoy this and soak it all up.
Sorry man, this stuff is interesting to talk about. Everyone wants to discuss the new info that comes out: that we offered $104M, that Weber's agents want to offer a NTC, etc. That's what the boards are for.

Probably gonna be lots more new stuff coming out to talk about today, since DP, Weber and Holmgren are all supposed to talk to the media. I'm sure Weber's agents will have some nonsense to say too.

I'm happy that we matched and am relieved that ownership finally put their money where their mouth is, but I still want to discuss the implications of all this other stuff too.

Put me firmly in the NO NTC camp. It makes no business sense whatsoever. But I could see Poile throwing in some variation of a NMC as a gesture of goodwill or loyalty or some BS. We saw how well actions motivated by such things worked out with Suter. We'll show our goodwill to Shea by paying the man. No reason at ALL to add any form of NTC/NMC.

P.S. Cannot believe the arrogance of some Flyers commentators (by commentators I mean actual analysts, not message board people) saying that they're still gonna get Weber via trade in a year because what they want, they get.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
As for Shea... why would an NTC be included? Frankly, my inclination if I were DP would be to meet with Shea directly, because his agents in this ordeal have been absolutely g-dawful - they seem more concerned about their chances at cashing in on endorsement deals in a bigger market than they do about the needs of their client. One of our guys employs them (Calvert) and I'm looking for contact information so we can start a campaign to ask him to switch agents.
Yessss! Please do it.

I've never seen such unprofessional, ridiculous agents in my life. If I was Weber I would be embarrassed. You have to think there are plenty of agents out there who would've gotten him this offer sheet, and gone about the whole situation in a much more professional way.

But apparently Weber switched to them because they have a much lower fee than other agents, so maybe that's all he cares about?

In a perfect world, Shea would happily stay in Nashville for the entirety of this contract and we'd never have to deal with those noobs again.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Congrats on keeping Weber, it's nice to see those arrogant Flyers fans quiet. Hopefully this is the start of a SC winning team in Nashville, you guys deserve that.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman00 View Post
I agree with you...however, I personally think that Shea wanted to go to Philly and his agents, by writing the contract that way, had Shea convinced he was going to Philly. We all knew that Nashville was a possibility due to the offer sheet process but I would bet that wasn't the desired or expected outcome when the contract was written up and signed. One of the agents was throwing Nashville under the bus during the process to help things along and when the other agent was asked yesterday about why the hate on Nashville, he completely dodged the question. I'm thinking there's a small bit of "What just happened?" look between Weber and his agents. It just seems like Weber would have liked to leave more than he wanted to stay. That's my opinion anyway. Oh well, he's ours now. And no Shea, you don't get a NTC.
I honestly don't have a problem with him wanting to go to Philly. It's a good market, they have a good team, he would have a lot easier time getting a Norris by being there. But the parameters set were "show me the money" and "show me a commitment to winning" by matching the contract from SexyTown. Nashville matched. It's like a marriage. Sometimes the spouse peeks and you have to go out and buy a new negligee. After you buy the negligee and he's looking at you again, you hit him over the head with a skillet and say no effin way you're getting a NTC and you will be happy about it. Or something like that.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Correct...but its still about are you willing to potentially risk $78m in uninsurable money. Philly was, and so was NSH.

If Weber gets "prongered" in game 1 of this deal...your ownership will not be happy.

If you want a hockey club to consider this aspect every time they sign a contract, there would be no such thing as the NHL.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
AEM6729

I'd be really interested to know whether the $104M offer we gave Weber during negotiations included a NTC/NMC.

Since contracts are guaranteed, if I were Weber I'd be willing to take $6M less in exchange for some control of my future in the form of a NTC/NMC. I know our offer surely wasn't as bonus-laden as the offer sheet he ultimately signed, but still.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Can we all just enjoy this moment for a day without any bickering? Is it possible with this fan base? Reading some of the threads around here make me laugh. Let's enjoy the fact that Weber is signed and playing for us this coming season. Let's worry about Poile tomorrow. Let's think about what we need to do next tomorrow. Put aside all of our ill will about whatever we have ill will towards and soak up this moment. It's not every day something like this happens. This should pull us together as a fan base, not rip it apart. People are totally entitled to their opinions but can they wait a day so we can enjoy this moment? Please. Let's enjoy this and soak it all up.
No we really can't. Yesterday was a big day, but what we do tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow are more important as a franchise. We matched our cornerstone defenseman, something that this organization said they would do at all costs. Now what? Its a major victory, but we are still aspiring to be stanley cup champs. There are still holes in our lineup that need to be filled, I just hope we have the money to do so. If we are able to add a top 6 forward AND a top 4 d man, then I will start celebrating.

I also think, like most people, Weber preferred Philly to us. The way the contract was structured, refusal to sign 104M one, not flying down to Nashville for today's press conference, who he hired to represent him, unwillingness to commit prior to being forced to, etc. do not spell out "excited to be Nashville" to me or to anyone else. We have the player we wanted, but what happens next is very important and should be discussed. I expect both sides (weber, management) to be professional, but they are human. Feelings are going to be hurt.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
Have to say that I'm a little bit surprised at some of the rationalizations from other fan bases affected by this. Wow, don't venture onto the trade board thread...

Anyway, I think there is something else that I haven't really read yet, and that is that the contract that was submitted by the Flyers, wouldn't that have to go through and be approved by the agent(s) before it ever even got to Weber? I think if he goes to his agent(s) (Major dicks by the way) and says "here's the list of teams I'd be willing to sign an offer sheet from" and they come back with the one from the Flyers, isn't it the agent that did the negotiating?

At that point when one of the agents places it in front of you and says, "you're never, ever going to see $ like this again in your life, it's now or never" I can't imagine not signing it.

I think in a month or 2 no one but the media will even be thinking about the offer sheet, and Weber will be professional and effective on the ice. The only thing that can really give us much worry is the cba. At least a bunch of owners/gm's aren't out sabotaging their own cause with dumbass contracts /sarcasm.
Congrats, if the Preds win the Cup in the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if commentators talk about how this was an emotional turning point for the franchise and the city, a time when a statement was made that the Preds were off the mat and ready to fight.

Interesting thing, the only concrete thing I've heard about the whole ordeal has been from the Canucks Mike Gillis who did an indepth interview on the meeting he had with Weber and his agents in Kelowna, and he basically made the point that Weber's driving motivation was security, and that Gillis expected Nashville to match, and he implied that Weber wouldn't have a problem with that.

So I wouldn't worry about Weber being unhappy in Nashville, if you heard Gillis interview it really seemed Weber is all about security and I respect that (two concussions could make a guy think about such things).

Weber got what he wanted, Nashville locked up it's core for a good price in the long-term (upfront nothwistanding) and the league was just served notice that Nashville came to play.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Just listened to W. Brett Wilson's interview that was posted earlier. What an amazing interview not only by the interviewer but the detailed and articulate answers given by Wilson as well. Fantastic. If only all sports radio interviews could be that well done on both sides.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
If you want a hockey club to consider this aspect every time they sign a contract, there would be no such thing as the NHL.
IF they didn't consider that aspect there would be no NHL and no need for insuring contracts in the first place.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

If there is one good thing that comes from this agent fiasco, it's my hope that Shea fires that firm. The way they handled this and their Interviews afterwards have been downright awful

Old
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Congrats on keeping Weber, it's nice to see those arrogant Flyers fans quiet. Hopefully this is the start of a SC winning team in Nashville, you guys deserve that.
every fanbase has, and will be arrogant. It would be naive to think othewise.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

And no, Shea you do not deserve a NTC.

In a year, if we want to ship you, you'll go to whomever gives us the best deal. Your agents burned that bridge.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Presser just started:

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...id=DL|NSH|home

Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'd be really interested to know whether the $104M offer we gave Weber during negotiations included a NTC/NMC.

Since contracts are guaranteed, if I were Weber I'd be willing to take $6M less in exchange for some control of my future in the form of a NTC/NMC. I know our offer surely wasn't as bonus-laden as the offer sheet he ultimately signed, but still.
The contract cannot be renogiated in any way except clauses

Old
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Gill likely to be paired with Ellis, Blum or Ekholm. First thing I saw when I clicked to watch the presser.

Closed Thread