HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  #776
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
He came after Madonna. Her career started around 1984. That would make Nash, post Madonna.
Unless it's the original Madonna, which would make Nash around 2000 years old.



Now, Nash might be a prima donna, but I don't think that tag rests well on him, either. I would have been very glad had the Flyers landed him without seriously messing with their current roster. Didn't happen, moving on.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
  #777
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the main ownership group is nashville natives who bought the team specifically to keep them from being relocated.

they thought they had their rainmaker/billionaire partner in Boots DelBiaggio but obviously he didnt pan out.

Now they have Brett Wilson who has apparently increased his stake in the team and has lots of "play money" and is apparently willing to spend it on a team in Nashville. So as long as the principal owners are the Nashville locals, I dont think they will be selling to anyone who might move the team. if they decide to bail I suspect Wilson would buy them and keep them right where they are.

And we will just have to disagree on poile... he's done quite well given how his hands are frequently tied either by the teams budget(in the past) or by players who keep changing their demands(Suter, Weber)
You've been perhaps the most level-headed, rational, and pleasant Predators fan throughout this ordeal. Thanks for engaging in actual hockey discussion instead of bitter bickering and inciting a flame war. Kudos and best of luck.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  #778
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

Now they have Brett Wilson who has apparently increased his stake in the team and has lots of "play money" and is apparently willing to spend it on a team in Nashville.
Has anything about this been confirmed? I've been wondering if he dropped the money in exchange for other owners giving up a percentage of their share to him.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
  #779
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Has anything about this been confirmed? I've been wondering if he dropped the money in exchange for other owners giving up a percentage of their share to him.
I heard Dolly Parton put up her boobs and Dollywood as collateral

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:41 PM
  #780
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Has anything about this been confirmed? I've been wondering if he dropped the money in exchange for other owners giving up a percentage of their share to him.
not officially but apparently there was a twitter exchange where someone was ragging on Wilson about upping his share and he replied that he had already done so it just hadnt been announced yet.

I have little doubt that the plan is to eventually have Wilson own 30-40% of the team...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  #781
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not officially but apparently there was a twitter exchange where someone was ragging on Wilson about upping his share and he replied that he had already done so it just hadnt been announced yet.

I have little doubt that the plan is to eventually have Wilson own 30-40% of the team...
Yeah, Wilson is a Canadian oil billionaire turned venture capitalist who had a brief spot on Canada's "Dragon's Den" (like the "Shark Tank" TV show for you US folks), as much as he's a Canadian, I've read interviews where even before he bought into the Preds, he's said he thinks of Nashville as a second home, has a home there, and bought into the Preds NOT to make money, but to be part of the team. Also old friends/business partners with one of the Preds owners.

So he's got the money to spend and happy to do it without it coming back to him. In fact, on Dragon's Den, he quickly got the reputation for "investing" in a business that likely wouldn't make him any money, but he liked the person/story/impact behind it.

I think another of the Preds owners in the last year made a quick $100 million-plus when he sold one of his companies, too, so they've got the capital behind them if they need it.

MarkMM is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
  #782
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Yeah, Wilson is a Canadian oil billionaire turned venture capitalist who had a brief spot on Canada's "Dragon's Den" (like the "Shark Tank" TV show for you US folks), as much as he's a Canadian, I've read interviews where even before he bought into the Preds, he's said he thinks of Nashville as a second home, has a home there, and bought into the Preds NOT to make money, but to be part of the team. Also old friends/business partners with one of the Preds owners.

So he's got the money to spend and happy to do it without it coming back to him. In fact, on Dragon's Den, he quickly got the reputation for "investing" in a business that likely wouldn't make him any money, but he liked the person/story/impact behind it.

I think another of the Preds owners in the last year made a quick $100 million-plus when he sold one of his companies, too, so they've got the capital behind them if they need it.
This is good insight..thanks to the both of you. Makes it better for Nashville if Wilson is operating more as a philanthropist of sorts as opposed to a profit hungry parasite in the Jamie Dimon of JPM and Lloyd Blankfein of GS mold...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  #783
UKFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
So, Weber was told by Trotz via text that the offer was going to be matched. I can understand their anger, but it's in their interest to keep him happy.

Also, are people so sure this billionaire guy has upped his stake? Apparently they needed a financial analyst to work out if they could afford the contract. Surely if the billionaire was involved, that wouldn't be necessary?

UKFlyers is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  #784
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Also, are people so sure this billionaire guy has upped his stake? Apparently they needed a financial analyst to work out if they could afford the contract. Surely if the billionaire was involved, that wouldn't be necessary?
LMAO...I wonder who they paid ....tack on another year of lost profits to pay the service fees and other stupid charges the financial "anal-cyst" charged. Prolly cooked the books too...Enron accounting.

But seriously, I hope they didn't do any voodoo math but if it's true about this Wilson dude who out of the goodness of his heart likes to lose money..I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as Weber getting matched and Trotz's notification...would have liked to hear Weber's reaction...had to be a little disappointed although he netted all that loot. It's on him now to deliver even more since Nash stepped up to the plate...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  #785
UKFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
LMAO...I wonder who they paid ....tack on another year of lost profits to pay the service fees and other stupid charges the financial "anal-cyst" charged. Prolly cooked the books too...Enron accounting.

But seriously, I hope they didn't do any voodoo math but if it's true about this Wilson dude who out of the goodness of his heart likes to lose money..I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as Weber getting matched and Trotz's notification...would have liked to hear Weber's reaction...had to be a little disappointed although he netted all that loot. It's on him now to deliver even more since Nash stepped up to the plate...
Of course, the fact they hired an analyst doesn't mean that he was paid any attention to when he started combusting after viewing the state of their finances...

I think the worry now for NSH is how they surround Weber with quality. They're a weaker team, and the Weber contract may have tied their hands. Looks to me like they've been short sighted, especially if Weber does get his NTC and starts making noises in a couple of years if they're not challenging. They could be in trouble then

UKFlyers is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  #786
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Of course, the fact they hired an analyst doesn't mean that he was paid any attention to when he started combusting after viewing the state of their finances...

I think the worry now for NSH is how they surround Weber with quality. They're a weaker team, and the Weber contract may have tied their hands. Looks to me like they've been short sighted, especially if Weber does get his NTC and starts making noises in a couple of years if they're not challenging. They could be in trouble then
not trying to start crap on your board but thats a pretty uninformed view of the Preds.

its kind of amusing how many fans that dont really follow us act like we are some lottery team who went out and spent huge money on one player but dont have a supporting cast

We were considered a legitimate cup contender last year(most everyone expected us to beat phoenix, but you know how that kind of thing goes).

The only significant loss has been Suter(unless you think losing Jordin tootoo is a crippling blow), and without being too arrogant, we churn out solid defensemen in bunches, so even if we dont sign or trade for another D-man, we arent that much worse if all that happens is everyone else moves up a slot.

plus we have a lot of young wingers who should play better than they did last year, and neither Legwand nor Erat really had great seasons, so I dont think we will be in too much trouble even if we dont add anyone else this summer or next.. and in a couple of years, the financial hit of Webers deal wont be nearly as burdensome, so as long as we dont go belly-up in a year or two(wont happen) we will be fine...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:53 PM
  #787
UKFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not trying to start crap on your board but thats a pretty uninformed view of the Preds.

its kind of amusing how many fans that dont really follow us act like we are some lottery team who went out and spent huge money on one player but dont have a supporting cast

We were considered a legitimate cup contender last year(most everyone expected us to beat phoenix, but you know how that kind of thing goes).

The only significant loss has been Suter(unless you think losing Jordin tootoo is a crippling blow), and without being too arrogant, we churn out solid defensemen in bunches, so even if we dont sign or trade for another D-man, we arent that much worse if all that happens is everyone else moves up a slot.

plus we have a lot of young wingers who should play better than they did last year, and neither Legwand nor Erat really had great seasons, so I dont think we will be in too much trouble even if we dont add anyone else this summer or next.. and in a couple of years, the financial hit of Webers deal wont be nearly as burdensome, so as long as we dont go belly-up in a year or two(wont happen) we will be fine...
We shall see. Suter was a key guy, someone will have to step up. Legwand and co. will have to have good seasons if you're going to be contenders.

UKFlyers is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:01 PM
  #788
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
We shall see. Suter was a key guy, someone will have to step up. Legwand and co. will have to have good seasons if you're going to be contenders.
If Suter had stayed, we'd have been Cup contenders. If he'd have brought Parise with him(like Weber thought he was going to), we'd have been co favorites in the West with Vancouver and LA

Without Suter we are likely still a solid playoff team, and if we can add a piece or two at the deadline, we should have a decent shot at a deep run

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
  #789
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If Suter had stayed, we'd have been Cup contenders. If he'd have brought Parise with him(like Weber thought he was going to), we'd have been co favorites in the West with Vancouver and LA

Without Suter we are likely still a solid playoff team, and if we can add a piece or two at the deadline, we should have a decent shot at a deep run
you guys should sign Coliacovo

thelos is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:46 PM
  #790
Shea Weber
Registered User
 
Shea Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I heard Dolly Parton put up her boobs and Dollywood as collateral
Those are worth more than $110 mil in Tennessee, believe me. Those things are legendary.

Shea Weber is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:16 PM
  #791
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
We shall see. Suter was a key guy, someone will have to step up. Legwand and co. will have to have good seasons if you're going to be contenders.
Actually Josi will have to step up, and at times last year he looked the part, let's just see if his 2nd year he can gain some consistency.

Josi is the only reason the Suter thing wasn't as big of an issue.

triggrman is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
  #792
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black
 
F L Y E R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,485
vCash: 500
I have no hard feelings towards Nashville and Poile. The fans hoping they go bankrupt and so forth are going a little overboard. They did exactly what they had to do, match. They got their franchise player. Someone who I personally would have given up Couturier or Schenn for(NOT BOTH) along with picks. Yeah, I'm bummed about it, but like others have said, at least he's not going to a rival.

F L Y E R S is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:51 PM
  #793
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,321
vCash: 500
Yeah...people who respect our organization for having the balls to make that offer should recognize that it takes balls for a franchise like Nashville to match. The owners have sent a message to their fans, and to other players. It's a risky one, but they decided it's what they need to do to win.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  #794
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
I have no hard feelings towards Nashville and Poile. The fans hoping they go bankrupt and so forth are going a little overboard. They did exactly what they had to do, match. They got their franchise player. Someone who I personally would have given up Couturier or Schenn for(NOT BOTH) along with picks. Yeah, I'm bummed about it, but like others have said, at least he's not going to a rival.
I agree. Nashville had every right to match and they did and thats that. I actually love how they have built their team from within and aside from meeting us in the playoffs wish them the best. We can't be "mad" they did the right thing. They were smart enough to draft and develop Weber and now they have one of the best in the game for a LONG LONG time.

jd2210 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
  #795
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
(...) He's a overpaid pre Madonna! No thank you
Again with the pre Madonna.

Kids these days.

There were prima donnas before Madonna, you know...

beauchamp is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
  #796
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not trying to start crap on your board but thats a pretty uninformed view of the Preds.

its kind of amusing how many fans that dont really follow us act like we are some lottery team who went out and spent huge money on one player but dont have a supporting cast

We were considered a legitimate cup contender last year(most everyone expected us to beat phoenix, but you know how that kind of thing goes).

The only significant loss has been Suter(unless you think losing Jordin tootoo is a crippling blow), and without being too arrogant, we churn out solid defensemen in bunches, so even if we dont sign or trade for another D-man, we arent that much worse if all that happens is everyone else moves up a slot.

plus we have a lot of young wingers who should play better than they did last year, and neither Legwand nor Erat really had great seasons, so I dont think we will be in too much trouble even if we dont add anyone else this summer or next.. and in a couple of years, the financial hit of Webers deal wont be nearly as burdensome, so as long as we dont go belly-up in a year or two(wont happen) we will be fine...
All nonsense. The Flyer fans here are experts. CPA's and CFO's are the primary occupations of a majority of us.

35NW8ING is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
  #797
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
All nonsense. The Flyer fans here are experts. CPA's and CFO's are the primary occupations of a majority of us.
So are professional critics....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
  #798
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
I was against trading Voracek and other roster players in the Weber deal, but now that I have had a day to think it over I think I would have done it. Short of trading Giroux, Scouts, B. Schenn, L. Schenn and Coburn I would have traded anyone and worried about adding pieces later. I am huge Voracek fan. I really love what he brings to our team but to add the best defenseman in the league we should have done it. To have Giroux, Couts, Weber, Coburn and the Schenn brothers as our core moving forward would have been amazing. We could have added Doan or Semin and still been fine. I would have been fine trading Voracek, Read, Meszaros, 2013 First, and 2015 First.

Harntell-Giroux-Doan
XXX-Schenn-Briere
Wellwood-Couts-Simmonds
Fedontenko-Talbot-Rinaldo
Shelley

Coburn-Weber
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gervais
Lilja

But since that didn't happen we just have to move on. Still think we have a good team moving forward. Although We still need a number one defenseman, I don't know how or when that might happen, but it really does seem like a must. And I also see a need for a true goal scoring winger for Giroux. Hopefully Homer doesn't lose his mind and just plays it cool. Don't want him to overpay for players like Ryan or Edler(next offseason).

Edit: Still not sure if Nashville would have even accepted a trade that did not involve Schenn or Couts. But other than the players I mentioned before, there aren't any other players that would have stopped me from a trade


Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 07-25-2012 at 06:01 PM.
FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
  #799
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
So, Weber was told by Trotz via text that the offer was going to be matched. I can understand their anger, but it's in their interest to keep him happy.

Also, are people so sure this billionaire guy has upped his stake? Apparently they needed a financial analyst to work out if they could afford the contract. Surely if the billionaire was involved, that wouldn't be necessary?
Brett Wilson was on the radio I think in Toronto, Fan590, did a quick interview on the whole situation, I just listened to it. He mentioned that they'd budgeted enough money to retain Rinne, Weber and Suter, so with Suter walking, that allows them the cash to pay the Weber upfront bonuses.

Also mentioned (this was new) that the offer the Preds had on the table for Weber was $104 million, so on the surface, it doesn't look like they were too tight on the cash.

That said, there's no denying that this does make it tougher to add players above and beyond Weber for the next few years, but I'd imagine there's still some space.

It's also been mentioned that Trotz was asked to drive over to Weber's house to personally deliver the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Of course, the fact they hired an analyst doesn't mean that he was paid any attention to when he started combusting after viewing the state of their finances...

I think the worry now for NSH is how they surround Weber with quality. They're a weaker team, and the Weber contract may have tied their hands. Looks to me like they've been short sighted, especially if Weber does get his NTC and starts making noises in a couple of years if they're not challenging. They could be in trouble then
From what I've read of the CBA, teams have to match dollars and terms and such of the CBA, but not conditions of a NTC/NMC, so if I'm Nashville, no way in h*ll I'm giving Weber a NTC/NMC. If he does become unhappy, then he can be offered to 29 teams on a cap-friendly deal with a good portion of that salary pre-paid and Nashville can make out like bandits. (Haha, I'd imagine it'll ignite a firestorm in Vancouver again over what it would take to get him.)

And of course much of this may be spin, but Weber's now quoted as saying that he loves Nashville, loves the team, loves his teammates. Based on what Mike Gillis of Vancouver said about his meeting with Weber, I'm inclined to believe Weber may be happy in Nashville, it seemed to Gillis that Weber would have been happy in Philly, Nashville, Vancouver or any of the finalist teams, so long as he got his security. This was all about the contract and he got what he wanted.

MarkMM is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
  #800
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,255
vCash: 500
the biggest indication that Weber was happy and planning to stay in Nashville was his expression of shock that Suter didnt re-sign.

I truly believe weber thought Suter would sign, possibly bringing Parise with him, and then he would sign, either by negotiation or via the offer sheet match

I think the truth is actually the opposite of what most people assume... instead of preferring Philly but reluctantly accepting Nashville, he preferred Nashville, but was willing to accept Philly in order to ensure he got the cash he wanted

PredsV82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.