HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile

View Poll Results: Will Poile be fired before the season starts?
Yes 13 15.29%
No 72 84.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Nothing Is New

vCash: 500
Well, he could recoup a little good will by working out an extension for Klein - now.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So when he keeps a player for the stretch run then trades rights for assets that become a roster player, he's wrong? (Hamhuis situation) We have no clue what the offer to Suter or Weber was in terms of structure. All we've heard is the total dollars and years to a before final Wild bid on Suter ... no details as to bonus structure or what he was told he could spend ... no details at all on what was offered to Weber. Yet, with a total lack of fact, he should get fired?

For the umteenth time, if he failed to operate within the guidance and maximize the resources provided by the owners, then Poile deserves all blame. If he made the max offers possible with what the owners provided and was trying to work the structure to as closely meet the players' wants while remaining within his guidelines/limitations ... he then did his job. Of course, that position requires acceptance that we don't know what Poile was given by the owners, what happened in negotiations, or how reasonable his offers to the players were. I, along with everyone else here, remain ignorant of those details.
okey dokey. we are all slack jawed yokels then too right? completely ignorant to everything. want to be a little more condescending there?

there was no total lack of fact in my comments. Poile took Hamhuis on his word that he was staying in his last summer. He took him on his word past the trade dealine. Then all of a sudden he wants to go. Suter took the lies one step further and lied through the draft, told Poile he was staying andthen, all of a sudden, poof. gone. Then you have Weber. Whether it was not giving him what he wanted, or structure, whatever, Weber signs an OS, meaning he was willing to leave. Unless he was naive enough to think an OS would not occur after watching everyone sit on their hands last season with Stamkos, he misread a third situation with a top pair defenceman. Now, of the 104 we offered, we don't know how it was structured, and maybe the owners said no until the OS was signed. Until someone knows that, yes it is on Poile in my eyes. I only have history to look at.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Well, he could recoup a little good will by working out an extension for Klein - now.
I think we should trade Klein, now.

He's value is at an all time high. Take away his anomaly performance in parts the DET series, and he's been horrific for us in the playoffs. He should NOT be a mainstay on a contending team.

However, we already missed the boat on getting replacements like a Michalek at a reasonable price.

Poile might as well spend the offseason in Hawaii. He's certainly hasn't doing anything in Nashville the past 8 offseasons.

Last edited by dulzhok: 07-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I stand by what I said prior to us matching: Regardless of this outcome, Poile should be axed. You can't screw up two major contracts like this and not take a fall. I am willing to revise my position IF (huge if) we add a top 4 d man for a decent price/trade or add a true top 6 forward. This team isn't rounded out yet and there are still holes to fill.

I will be very interested to see what is said today at the press conference, though I am not at all pleased Weber isn't going to be there in person.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is the pro sports equivalent of the gamblers fallacy... assuming that because we didnt trade him and got a certain result that if we had traded him we would have had the opposite result.... Hamhuis had a pretty "meh" year in his next to last season with us... to look back now and think we could have got Giroux from Philly or some other great forward has just no basis in reality.
Hamhuis got a 2nd, just for his rights. He would've had a hella a lot more value a whole year before he was UFA and the market for dmen was thin.

No he wouldn't have gotten Girioux (though Girioux was just a prospect at time), but package him with Blum, Franson, Pickard (who had value back then), etc, etc, and I guarantee there would have been a ton of interest.

It doesn't matter at this point. But Poile has done a pretty poor job of managing what used to be one of the biggest assets pools in the league. Props to him for building up that pool. But he's played a big part in diminishing it the last 2-3 years.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
I stand by what I said prior to us matching: Regardless of this outcome, Poile should be axed. You can't screw up two major contracts like this and not take a fall. I am willing to revise my position IF (huge if) we add a top 4 d man for a decent price/trade or add a true top 6 forward. This team isn't rounded out yet and there are still holes to fill.

I will be very interested to see what is said today at the press conference, though I am not at all pleased Weber isn't going to be there in person.
I missed that bit of news....any reason for that?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
He missed the last flight to Nashville from Philly?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:21 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
he is home in BC. and met with trotz this morning, who is also home in BC

Old
07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is home in BC. and met with trotz this morning, who is also home in BC
Honestly we just paid the guy 13M. Its not like he couldn't afford a flight down here... kind of inconsiderate if you ask me.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Honestly we just paid the guy 13M. Its not like he couldn't afford a flight down here... kind of inconsiderate if you ask me.
now youre just looking for crap to complain about

its not like Shea Weber needs to be introduced to this market....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
now youre just looking for crap to complain about

its not like Shea Weber needs to be introduced to this market....
Exactly....

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
okey dokey. we are all slack jawed yokels then too right? completely ignorant to everything. want to be a little more condescending there?

there was no total lack of fact in my comments. Poile took Hamhuis on his word that he was staying in his last summer. He took him on his word past the trade dealine. Then all of a sudden he wants to go. Suter took the lies one step further and lied through the draft, told Poile he was staying andthen, all of a sudden, poof. gone. Then you have Weber. Whether it was not giving him what he wanted, or structure, whatever, Weber signs an OS, meaning he was willing to leave. Unless he was naive enough to think an OS would not occur after watching everyone sit on their hands last season with Stamkos, he misread a third situation with a top pair defenceman. Now, of the 104 we offered, we don't know how it was structured, and maybe the owners said no until the OS was signed. Until someone knows that, yes it is on Poile in my eyes. I only have history to look at.

Ignorance is "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact" (dictionary.com)... the PERFECT word for describing the fan base when it comes to details of contract structure, negotiation events, etc. If you'd read what I wrote, you would then notice that I included myself in the group of those who are ignorant of those details. We all list observables, not the facts and events that lead to it. It's like listing symptoms rather than the underlying disease.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 07-25-2012 at 01:08 PM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

He's value is at an all time high. Take away his anomaly performance in parts the DET series, and he's been horrific for us in the playoffs. He should NOT be a mainstay on a contending team.

However, we already missed the boat on getting replacements like a Michalek at a reasonable price.

Poile might as well spend the offseason in Hawaii. He's certainly hasn't doing anything in Nashville the past 8 offseasons.
Oh he has done something ... like 2 of our top 4 dmen walk for nothing that is still with us the last few years ... forgot to get RFA Qualifying Offers to our RFA's in a timely fashion

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wait, didn't Hamhuis' father get sick? I think that would give me a change of heart and want to play closer to home. I have no ill will toward Hamhuis and the "more like opening night" comment was said in jest so don't go there.

And he did get a draft pick for Hamhuis, so it wasn't for nothing.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not that I'm not pissed at Poile...

Old
07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Wait, didn't Hamhuis' father get sick? I think that would give me a change of heart and want to play closer to home. I have no ill will toward Hamhuis and the "more like opening night" comment was said in jest so don't go there.

wrong

2010/06/19 - Philadelphia Flyers traded Ryan Parent (who will now be playing in Germany)to the Nashville Predators for Dan Hamhuis and a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2011. ... which we parlayed parent into 1 year of Shane O'Brien ... who then signed in Colorado.

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 07-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

If Klein is so horrific and no contending team should have him, which is so clear for us fans to see... WHO IN THE NHL WILL TRADE FOR HIM?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
wrong

2010/06/19 - Philadelphia Flyers traded Ryan Parent (who will now be playing in Germany)to the Nashville Predators for Dan Hamhuis and a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2011. ... which we parlayed parent into 1 year of Shane O'Brien ... who then signed in Colorado.
So we did get a draft pick for him.... Where am I wrong?

Old
07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
So we did get a draft pick for him.... Where am I wrong?
We gave up a conditional seventh and the rights to Hamhuis for Parent.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We gave up a conditional seventh and the rights to Hamhuis for Parent.
Ahh, I see. Cool.

Well we got a player anyway, so it wasn't for nothing.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Legionnaire11

And then we got Shane O'Brien for Parent and Andersson

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
And then we got Shane O'Brien for Parent and Andersson
thats right...

so, poile got nothing for UFA Suter but got SOB for Hamhuis' rights, SK for Ellis's rights, and a 1st round pick for Hartnell and Timonen

thats really pretty good for guys who were never going to see another day in a preds sweater under any circumstance

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Ignorance is "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact" (dictionary.com)... the PERFECT word for describing the fan base when it comes to details of contract structure, negotiation events, etc. If you'd read what I wrote, you would then notice that I included myself in the group of those who are ignorant of those details. We all list observables, not the facts and events that lead to it. It's like listing symptoms rather than the underlying disease.
I guess my point would be don't assume everyone is ignorant, or better, ignorant of the situation.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I guess my point would be don't assume everyone is ignorant, or better, ignorant of the situation.

You realize you jumped all over me for using the word "ignorant" in context and according to its definition, then admitted "we don't know how it was structured" ...."Whether it was not giving him what he wanted, or structure, whatever" (indicative of not knowing details) .... "Until someone knows that" (indicative of not knowing) ...

Thank you for bolstering my contention "that we don't know what Poile was given by the owners, what happened in negotiations, or how reasonable his offers to the players were. I, along with everyone else here, remain ignorant of those details."

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

poile being fired is a pipedream

CantbeatzPekka is online now   Reply With Quote